I heard BlackBerry 10 browser was built with HTML5 for badass compatibility with HTML5. But IIRC HTML5 is a language for rendering content? Not a language for creating a rendering engine?

In layman terms, isn't HTML5 supposed to be for use by the browser, not to make the browser itself? I'm both confused and stunned here.

Do they use other language too in it? Or everything is HTML5?
    02-28-13 09:29 AM
    HTML5 is all powerful, and can do much.
    02-28-13 09:32 AM
    I thought C++ was in there somehere as well
    02-28-13 09:34 AM
    I heard BlackBerry 10 browser was built with HTML5 for badass compatibility with HTML5. But IIRC HTML5 is a language for rendering content? Not a language for creating a rendering engine?

In layman terms, isn't HTML5 supposed to be for use by the browser, not to make the browser itself? I'm both confused and stunned here.

That's a misconception. The HTML5 part is for the front facing UI elements, i.e. everything except that happens outside the rectangle where the web pages are rendered. Webkit code is responsible for rendering.
    02-28-13 09:41 AM
    The browser is built using WebWorks which is BlackBerry's HTML5 based native application framework for BB10 (and BBOS). WebWorks is implemented using a combination of HTML, JavaScript, CSS, and one or more lower level languages (probably C++). So while the browser UI is implemented entirely in HTML5, the rendering engine (WebKit) is implemented using C++ (and maybe C).
    02-28-13 09:43 AM
    Thanks, that clears up a lot. I thought BlackBerry programmers are such badass that they built a whole rendering engine with HTML5 lol.
    02-28-13 09:45 AM

It is all build with WebKit
    02-28-13 12:25 PM
    Are you guys sure? From what I had seen previously, Webkit apps have laggy UI. The browser seems to have a very smooth UI. The animations work flawlessly, unless there's heavy content on the page. It seems like the UI aspect is built using Cascades. The animations used for the on/off toggles support that theory as well.
    02-28-13 01:35 PM
    Are you guys sure?
    Yes

Here you can read all about it: WebKit and the BlackBerry Browser: Ask Us! �BlackBerry Developer Blog

and it was further confirmed at JAM Americas 2012
    02-28-13 02:20 PM
    Yes

Here you can read all about it: WebKit and the BlackBerry Browser: Ask Us! �BlackBerry Developer Blog

and it was further confirmed at JAM Americas 2012
    That's BlackBerry 6 browser. I was asking about BlackBerry 10 browser.
    02-28-13 10:20 PM
    That's BlackBerry 6 browser. I was asking about BlackBerry 10 browser.
    sorry bout that link then...

but yes - BB10 browser is made with webworks and webkit ... and it was confirmed at JAM Americas 2012 ...

go have a talk with Twitter.com/brcewane and he can tell you all about it
    02-28-13 10:57 PM
    BB pulled some magic with the browser. They re-engineered the browser from the PlayBook to use the GPU in assisting rendering. I still wish they made the browser out of Cascades, but the team learned lots by tackling such a difficult problem.
    03-01-13 12:01 AM
    Wait so the browser on the playbook doesn't use gpu rendering? If that's true. Holy mother lf god. They would have to be geniuses to male that work. Somehow I think ots untrue though.
    03-01-13 01:06 AM