Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Blackberry 10 android aps run on java?

Hi all,

Been a long time user of the forum but just joined so I could ask this question,

Just been looking on the RIM site for BB10 developers as I was curious of exactly how they plan to allow developers to port aps over from android to blackberry. I can imagine that having this option is going to vastly increase RIM's market share as I have noticed the massive crave for these aps. I was, however, very frustrated to see that they are using Java runtime to do this? After a quick flick through the "Runtime for Apps" website, it appears to me as though they are planning to use java as a simulation tool for android apps? Maybe im confused as I'm not a developer, so I was hoping someone could shed some light onto this? I've always seen java as completely rubbish as an average mobile user. Its slow, choppy and offers a very poor user experience.

Im hoping theirs someone out their who can tell me how wrong I am.

Cheers!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,723 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)

Default Re: Blackberry 10 android aps run on java?

The Android Player is a virtual machine running on top of the QNX operating system. It supports Android apps developed using the Android SDK, which is Java based. The player is not a full Android OS, just a limited virtual machine (if I remember correctly, Android 2.3 based). It will have problems running Android apps that have been developed using newer SDKs (Android 3.x, 4.x) and apps that use the Android NDK (C++ code).
    RuneCryption - Unique memory game for PlayBook & BB10, now "Built for BlackBerry".
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    766 Global Posts

Correct. Android is based upon the Dalvik Java Virtual Machine. If you want to run Android apps, you need to run a Dalvik JVM. You can use this info to mock Fandroids if you wish, with their "old school" Java OS, which BB are in the process of dropping like it's hot.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,927 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DivideBYZero View Post
    Correct. Android is based upon the Dalvik Java Virtual Machine. If you want to run Android apps, you need to run a Dalvik JVM. You can use this info to mock Fandroids if you wish, with their "old school" Java OS, which BB are in the process of dropping like it's hot.
    Android isn't based on Java. Java is just one of the options that developers have for programming on Android.

The Blackberry Android player already exists on the Playbook. If you look into which Android apps run on the Playbook and how they perform, you should have a general idea of what to expect for BB10 phones.