Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By boldkeyboardholic
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BIS/BES with BB10 - optional but not necessary?!

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if I just missed that on crackberry or that this is new:

I've read an article on heise.de (yes, it's in German).

Heise reports about the "BlackBerry JAM World Tour Enterprise Edition" in Frankfurt (yes, that's in Germany )

It's about BES and BIS with BB10.

Roughly summarized it describes that the devices will strict splitt between private and company stuff. (not new) Also that this is true for BIS.

BIS would only be needed for BBM and other services. But could be used like any other non-BB device as well. (this is new for me)

RIM gibt Einblick in die Enterprise-Architektur von BlackBerry 10 | heise online

It is mentioned that BB10 can run Android apps - but only in the private part. Not in the "Work Perimeter".

A lot other stuff was mentioned, but it's just a bit too long to translate.

I guess I missed this news on crackberry anyways
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Available upon request.

Default Re: BIS/BES with BB10 - optional but not necessary?!

A current BB device doesn't need a BIS account either, but you lose the ability for email and BBM.

So BB10 will work with BIS as legacy devices do now.
    XoXoXo
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

maybe I misinterpreted the article.

I tried different carriers, and without a BIS I never couldn't even access the internet. So for me this is a huge disadvantage. In the article was only mentioned BBM. BIS is more kind of a disadvantage, mostly THE disadvantage. It reduces the carriers/providers I can choose of a lot aka I have not the best data plans, voice plans available. (by far not)
    hzguo likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Available upon request.

Yes, BIS is necessary for Internet aswell. Idk if browsing will be through the BIS like it does now.
    XoXoXo
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,722 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)

There may be apps that will work over WiFi without BIS, but you can pretty much count on BIS being required for 3G/4G data, as well as native RIM apps.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory game for PlayBook & BB10, now "Built for BlackBerry".
    CrackBerry Addict

Question

Hi

let me resurrect this thread/post. Not sure I am clarified, so please support me...

I am interested BB10 as BYOD. BB is not supported by my company, and pretty sure it will not in the future because of our parent company. It "tolerates" BYOD.

I have a normal subscription voice + data plan (that is, not specific BB data plan). My company mobile e-mail servers are MS exchange servers.

This might be pure ignorance from my part, but I really wish to clarify. So, considering that I will not have a BB data plan, will I be able to receive my companies e-mail (MS exchange), have calender synchronization, contact synchronization, ... internet acess through my mobile carrier without BB data Plan (that is without BIS/BES)?

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by digitalman101; 11-14-2012 at 11:20 AM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,722 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)

Quote Originally Posted by digitalman101 View Post
    Hi

let me resurrect this thread/post. Not sure I am clarified, so please support me...

I am interested BB10 as BYOD. BB is not supported by my company, and pretty sure it will not in the future because of our parent company. It "tolerates" BYOD.

I have a normal subscription voice + data plan (that is, not specific BB data plan). My company mobile e-mail servers are MS exchange servers.

This might be pure ignorance from my part, but I really wish to clarify. So, considering that I will not have a BB data plan, will I be able to receive my companies e-mail (MS exchange), have calender synchronization, contact synchronization, ... internet acess through my mobile carrier without BB data Plan (that is without BIS/BES)?

Thank you in advance!
    More than likely, not. The integrated email, contacts, and calendar all go through a BIS/BES server. On the BES side, the company can add their own encryption key to make all that data even more secure.

There may be independent apps that will connect via WiFi, but any mobile data will require a BlackBerry data plan.

You might be able to install a ported K-9 Mail (Android app), which will connect to Exchange for email. But without the data plan, you'll be limited to WiFi.

Carriers can offer different types of data plans. T-Mobile is adding BBM to SMS packages. There are even carriers who offer social packages where BBM, Facebook, and Twitter are included (with no internet data). But, if you are looking for always-on data, you'll need to be on a BIS or BES package.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory game for PlayBook & BB10, now "Built for BlackBerry".
    Thanked by:
    digitalman101 (11-14-2012) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Thank you Xopher.

just hope you are wrong.... else, what a disappointment for me.... :'-(
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default BB10 usual data plan

hello,

from local forum I learned that in BB10 normal data plan will be enought. It won't be necessary anymore to have BIS to run BB. This was info from BB developer using Alfa developer device.

T.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,722 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Gramblicka View Post
    hello,

from local forum I learned that in BB10 normal data plan will be enought. It won't be necessary anymore to have BIS to run BB. This was info from BB developer using Alfa developer device.

T.

Actually, RIM has stated that BIS/BES will be required. The Dev Alphas are the exception during beta testing. From that post:

Please note that this is the case just for the Dev Alpha device and not BlackBerry 10 launch devices, which will need to have BlackBerry data on the wireless plan.