Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By diegonei
  • 2 Post By Xopher
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BIS

Do BB10 still have BIS..?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default BIS

Sure.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,267 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B630F1E

I'm confused about the whole BIS issue. If BB10 is using Activesync like they say, then there's no need for BIS.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Default Re: BIS

At my country..Data plan is very expensive..BIS are use by student because it is cheap...So as a student to have a data plan is a burden..

It was said it will still need BIS. What we're not sure though is how BIS will work once BB10 is out.

Right now, I'm planning on keeping my BIS plan, since it is now one of the few plans in Brasil still to offer unlimited data.
    Quick Help BLACKBERRY HELP 101 | Direct load Android (APK) Apps : BB10 10.2.1|Sideloading apps: BB10/PlayBook | Update/Reload Software: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Debrick: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Backup 3rd Party Apps: BB7.1- - PlayBook & BB10: Just use BB Link | Battery Saving: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10

Got a question? diego.nei@mobilenations.com | My Apps: Papo GP | Papo GP 10 | My Channel: Project Management BBM Channel

Waqiuddin likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by kevinnugent View Post
    I'm confused about the whole BIS issue. If BB10 is using Activesync like they say, then there's no need for BIS.
    What about BBM, BBM Voice & Video, etc. These services will require authentication with the BIS/BES services. So a BIS plan will be needed still with any blackberry.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by kevinnugent View Post
    For regular pop3 email accounts like I have from my home ISP. ActiveSync can't do anything with them. Not all of us have only a corporate email account. And I'll never get a gmail account (even though they are dropping consumer ActiveSync support).

Joel
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,723 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)

One of the ways that BlackBerry helps with power conservation is using Push technology. The NOC does the email checking and pushes messages to the BB, so it doesn't have to connect and check for messages periodically. Push is used for email, Facebook, Twitter, BBM, and other apps.

It's just one of the things that the NOC helps with. It requires a BIS/BES account to link with the NOC.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory game for PlayBook & BB10, now "Built for BlackBerry".
    Thanked by:
    Waqiuddin (12-26-2012) 
    spike12 and Waqiuddin like this.
  9. aha
    CrackBerry Genius

I hope they offer BIS plan, but don't require it. For example, if I am abroad and can find a 3G prepaid card or even just wifi, I hope the browser and third party apps will work out of the gate. And for BB services such as push email or BBM, they should also allow me to connect back from a roaming network or wifi.
  10. aha
    CrackBerry Genius

But come to think about it, even if RIM makes it technically possible to access NOC from anywhere, it's really carriers who decide whether to make this availabe for users or not.

If I am using my Rogerss blackberry phone in China to access a website in China, the traffic would have to go from China back to the Rogers NOC first, then go to China and to my phone. If I am using a iphone or droid, then the traffic won't need to make a detour back to North America. Even though I need to pay for the roaming fees for both scenarios, but the latter seems to make more sense. Yes I loses security and compression, but I should have a choice to operation the same way an iPhone or droid would allow me to operate: less secure but faster. That would be nice.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,723 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)

One thing I am curious about is if the BIS limitation will go away with BB10. Not the need for BIS, but being able to access the NOC when roaming or using a different SIM.

Everything is getting tied to the BBID now, instead of the PIN. So, possibly, if you have a BIS account, once you log in with your BBID, you're in. This might be too good to be true, but I'm trying to think outside the box.

This might also be how the PlayBook could work with native BBM. If you have a BBID that is active (BIS plan through a carrier), using that same BBID on the PlayBook might activate BBM. If you don't have a BIS plan, the maybe you have to pay for BBM on the PlayBook (since there are photos of the license code input field).
    RuneCryption - Unique memory game for PlayBook & BB10, now "Built for BlackBerry".