Right now swiping down from the top of the screen within in application brings up an application menu. A lot of times I find myself accidently swiping down with the goal of seeing the global settings menu ( ie settings, location lock, blue tooth, wifi...). The only way to get to the commonly used global settings menu is to swipe up into active space and then swipe down from the top of the screen.

What I want is the ability to swipe down from the top of an application to reveal the status (ie time, date, network, battery), the application menu (ie help, settings) and below that global settings (ie settings, location lock, blue tooth, Wifi..) all in one swipe down.

This would allow me to access the commonly used global settings info without having to swipe up from the bottom of the screen to access active workspace, swipe down to get to global settings, and then click the app to get back into it.

Any thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    04-04-13 11:38 AM
    In fact, I don't understand why we even have an application menu. The browser and the hub have settings in the right hand action menu. Apps like calendar have the settings in the swipe down application menu but only on the first pane, where as BBM has the application menu and settings within it in all panes.. so inconsistent - i don't know what BlackBerry UI designers were thinking. Ideally the application menu should fold over to the right hand action menu as done in the browser and hub and the top swipe down should be a shortcut to active workspace with settings menu revealed.

I hope BlackBerry at least works on making things more consistent...

Posted via CB10
    04-04-13 11:52 AM
    Right now swiping down from the top of the screen within in application brings up an application menu. A lot of times I find myself accidently swiping down with the goal of seeing the global settings menu ( ie settings, location lock, blue tooth, wifi...). The only way to get to the commonly used global settings menu is to swipe up into active space and then swipe down from the top of the screen.

What I want is the ability to swipe down from the top of an application to reveal the status (ie time, date, network, battery), the application menu (ie help, settings) and below that global settings (ie settings, location lock, blue tooth, Wifi..) all in one swipe down.

This would allow me to access the commonly used global settings info without having to swipe up from the bottom of the screen to access active workspace, swipe down to get to global settings, and then click the app to get back into it.

Any thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    This is how it works on the PlayBook; I would like this feature ported over to BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-13 12:39 PM
    Actually PlayBook you swipe from the top corner. I use that feature obsessively and would love to see it on bb10.

I also hate in Android apps how you have to swipe from the top to make a menu pop up on the bottom, then press the button with dots to make a menu appear at the top again. On the PlayBook the top android menu just appears on the top swipe, and it's much more usable that way. BB10 should be that way too.

Posted via Red Z10
    04-04-13 01:37 PM
    I like a swipe down from the top corner as a shortcut idea. or better yet swipe down with two fingers as a shortcut to being in active workspace screen with the setting menu dropped down.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-13 03:35 PM
    Yeah, two finger swipe is probably better to keep consistent with other things in BB10. Like the keyboard show/hide on PlayBook is a corner swipe, but on BB10 it's a two finger swipe.

Posted via Red Z10
    rishio likes this.
    04-04-13 04:54 PM
    Yeah, two finger swipe is probably better to keep consistent with other things in BB10. Like the keyboard show/hide on PlayBook is a corner swipe, but on BB10 it's a two finger swipe.

Posted via Red Z10
    Issue with 2-finger swipes is that they're very awkward usually. Almost always necessitates re-adjusting how you're holding device.

I have brought up keyboard like that in some odd scenarios, but always dismiss it by tapping somewhere else on screen or long pressing space bar.
    04-04-13 06:12 PM

For peeking at time, network, battery, you can swipe up from bottom slowly, but NOT releasing your finger.
    Then drag back down.
    Answer you're looking for? Not exactly, maybe sometimes. But once you make habit of this it's actually pretty cool.
    04-04-13 06:15 PM
    I hold the phone in my left hand and touch type with the index and middle finger of my right hand so two hand swiping works well for me. I can see it being annoying for people who use one hand to interact with the device but I think it's an acceptable solution as a shortcut for power users. Or perhaps they could come up with something better...

Posted via CB10
    04-05-13 12:47 AM
    Peeking by sliding up doesn't solve the inconvenience of wanting to access the global setting menu quickly.. but it's a nice tip for seeing the top screen status info. I'd still like a two finger slide shortcut.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-13 12:49 AM
    Uniformity is key to every mobile OS if we're looking for consistency. How iOS caught on like wild fire is due to it's simplicity and consistency throughout the OS.

In other words, we don't want to sit around trying to figure out how to do new things in each and every app. Now that's empowering users not make them feel dumb and reluctant to download another app.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-13 03:49 AM
    Agreed, uniformity is very important.

Posted via Red Z10
    04-05-13 08:53 AM
    Agreed. But after uniformity comes depth. If you've used iphone for a while you'll start discovering power shortcuts like some multi-button presses to quickly switch apps or taps on toolbars to reach the top of a Web page quickly or the many multi finger swipes. None of these features are necessary nor uniform but build on top of a simple and intuitive interface to allow an experienced user quicker ways to navigate the system.

The blackberry is not very uniform in top menu usability so they need to fix that. After they cover that base they need to add intuitive and flowing shortcuts so that the system can grow with us.

We have a two finger swipe up to reveal the keyboard so it's natural to me to have a two finger swipe down to access global settings.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-13 09:44 AM
    If you have good ideas, you should join BB Beta Zone. I believe there's a Z10 Community started now.
    It's a great place for having actual BBRY staffers read your feedback.

This is how you CB10, son!
    04-05-13 03:20 PM
    Thanks. I joined!

Posted via CB10
    Elite1 likes this.
    04-05-13 05:41 PM

This is a very enlightening talk about the design and function decisions for BlackBerry 10 UI.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-13 01:10 AM
    If you have good ideas, you should join BB Beta Zone. I believe there's a Z10 Community started now.
    It's a great place for having actual BBRY staffers read your feedback.

This is how you CB10, son!
    Joining.
    04-08-13 07:23 PM
    The 2 finger swipe down is already used for magnification. If you check under Settings\ Accessibility\Magnification you will see this option. I find it to be one of the little known gems in this os. A 2 finger swipe down let's you magnify anywhere...and I do mean anywhere. useful for those pages or pics on sites that don't allow pinch and zoom. 2 finger swipe down again and magnification is turned off. Brilliant!

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 10:33 PM
    On the PlayBook the top android menu just appears on the top swipe, and it's much more usable that way. BB10 should be that way too.

Posted via Red Z10
    Pin the bar after you swipe to get the menu.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 11:53 PM

I guess the question is are you trying to get the time often, or are you trying to get the quick settings often?

I have little need to change my quick settings, so I tend to just get the time. A quite swipe up and back down gives me that option.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 11:55 PM
    Thanks edge. The zoom feature is a pretty cool easter egg. I'll try it out..

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 02:55 AM
    I mainly fond myself looking for the date or trying to access a quick setting. I find it inconvenient to have my finger travel to the bottom of the screen and then all the way back to the top to find out the date. Two things people mentioned would be helpful:

1. Put the date in the header next to the time.
    2. Do a slow drag up to see the rates bar without minimizing the app.

I'd still like for BlackBerry to offer a shortcut to access global shortcut menus. Two finger swipe down won't work because that is reserved for zooming.

I guess the question is are you trying to get the time often, or are you trying to get the quick settings often?

I have little need to change my quick settings, so I tend to just get the time. A quite swipe up and back down gives me that option.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 03:01 AM
    Thanks Rishio. I agree with your first post in which you asked for a combined slidedown appending the app specific stuff onto the permanent stuff. And, consistency.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 09:03 AM
    Thanks Rishio. I agree with your first post in which you asked for a combined slidedown appending the app specific stuff onto the permanent stuff. And, consistency.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah ideally I'd like that but first I'm trying to be open minded and understand their design choice. They must have thought this through and have a reason for it being how it is and i'm curious of the benefits of having a swipe down menu. Perhaps for future mobile devices with sophisticated apps requiring more menu options? Perhaps to give developers full power in how they design the UI of their apps. Notice apps like calculator only use top down menus.

I just don't like how you have to kind of figure out where all the menus for an app is for each application with some gesture 'hit and misses'. If they made a mistake it would be great if they could roll the menus to the right and bring swipe down to minimize apps but that seems unlikely at this point because apps like calculator would break.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 09:38 AM