Kevin, please let these idiots know that you have an OS on the Playbook that HAS working email. They seem to be under the delusion that native email is not ready under QNX. They seem to be doing a lot of "reporting" with no facts to back any of it up - Just an anonymous high-level employee (who likely was canned recently). I know you can't give details due to the NDA I'm sure RIM had you sign, but I'm sure there is something you can say about this article.
    Sansu94 likes this.
    12-22-11 09:26 AM
    Well i think the fact that PIM was shown off in a video helps with that whole NDA aspect haha. But it does seem strange that PIM wouldnt work on a device with a near identical OS, when it does on the PB.
    Sawyerdoodle likes this.
    12-22-11 09:31 AM
    Kevin, please let these idiots know that you have an OS on the Playbook that HAS working email. They seem to be under the delusion that native email is not ready under QNX. They seem to be doing a lot of "reporting" with no facts to back any of it up - Just an anonymous high-level employee (who likely was canned recently). I know you can't give details due to the NDA I'm sure RIM had you sign, but I'm sure there is something you can say about this article.
    You forgot the link:
    BlackBerry 10 is a failure that won't be able to compete, company source says

Don't give that fool site any page hits, here's the article:
    Bad products, horrible software and no cohesive vision have seemingly turned Research In Motion into a company without motion at this point. Throw in a huge delay before BlackBerry 10 smartphones start shipping, and it’s clear why people are losing, or have lost, faith in a company that played a tremendous role in making the smartphone industry what it is today. Thanks to one of our most trusted sources, BGR now has new information on what’s going on inside Research In Motion, and the picture it paints isn’t a pretty one.

Our source has communicated to us in no uncertain terms that the PlayBook 2.0 OS developers have been testing is a crystal clear window into the current state of BlackBerry 10 on smartphones. No email, no BlackBerry Messenger — it’s almost identical. “Email and PIM is a better on an 8700 than it is on BlackBerry 10,” our contact said while talking to us about RIM’s failure to make the company’s new OS work with the network infrastructure RIM is known for.

We also have some more background on why RIM’s BlackBerry 10 smartphones are delayed, and it has nothing to do with a new LTE chipset that RIM is waiting on. In what is something of a serious allegation, our source told us that Mike Lazaridis was lying when he said the company’s new lineup was delayed for that reason. ”RIM is simply pushing this out as long as they can for one reason, they don’t have a working product yet,” we were told.

At the end of our conversation, our source communicated something shocking for a high-level RIM employee to say. He told us that RIM is betting its business on a platform and ecosystem that isn’t even as good as iPhone OS 1.0 or Android 2.0. “There’s no room for a fourth ecosystem,” he stated, “and DingleBerry also works on BlackBerry 10.”
    Edit: However BGR source at RIM has shown to be quite accurate. And the LTE story sounds believable.
    Last edited by sam_b77; 12-22-11 at 09:41 AM.
    cookie20 and Sawyerdoodle like this.
    12-22-11 09:32 AM
    could be true, the last few reports they released on RIM have been accurate, including the delay of OS 2.0 on the PB.
    12-22-11 09:38 AM
    Unreal. Another BGR exclusive that will turn out to be completely true (February release date for PB OS 2.0 anyone?) and another pile-on by the furious fanboys.

The article says "Email and PIM is a better experience on an 8700 than on BB 10"; sure, Kevin has email on his PB but has anyone seen a full review of how well it works at this point? I sure haven't.

Nobody believed that the BB10 phones were being delayed an entire year to wait for a chipset, that made no sense when it was announced and it makes no sense now. This is a plausable explanation which makes a lot of sense based on the current unfinished state of the PB OS and the recent history of delays, lies and exagerations out of RIM.

Congratulations BGR on another RIM scoop. Too bad it isn't better news for a change but you can't blame the author for that.
    vrs626, RCCollins, JeepBB and 4 others like this.
    12-22-11 09:39 AM
    could be true, the last few reports they released on RIM have been accurate, including the delay of OS 2.0 on the PB.
    Exactly. People here don't like what BGR has to report so they rip it, but BGR has been on point with some recent articles about RIM.
    Mikey_T and phonejunky like this.
    12-22-11 09:40 AM
    So, how long until RIM issues a press release stating "everything is fine and on schedule"? I'm guessing three hours.

Of course, between bgr and rim, bgr and their source have the better, more accurate (honest) track record.

This is truly worrying.
    12-22-11 09:44 AM
    who here actually believed mike when he said the delay was due to the LTE chip? not me...
    12-22-11 09:46 AM
    Unreal. Another BGR exclusive that will turn out to be completely true (February release date for PB OS 2.0 anyone?) and another pile-on by the furious fanboys.

The article says "Email and PIM is a better experience on an 8700 than on BB 10"; sure, Kevin has email on his PB but has anyone seen a full review of how well it works at this point? I sure haven't.

Nobody believed that the BB10 phones were being delayed an entire year to wait for a chipset, that made no sense when it was announced and it makes no sense now. This is a plausable explanation which makes a lot of sense based on the current unfinished state of the PB OS and the recent history of delays, lies and exagerations out of RIM.

Congratulations BGR on another RIM scoop. Too bad it isn't better news for a change but you can't blame the author for that.
    Native PIM works quite well on the Playbook. I had no complaints when I used it. It was an earlier copy than what Kevin has though.
    12-22-11 09:50 AM
    who here actually believed mike when he said the delay was due to the LTE chip? not me...
    No one.

RIM CEOs lied about BlackBerry 10 delay, report says | Mobile - CNET News
    12-22-11 09:52 AM
    Me neither. That's the problem with Dumb and Dumber running the show. NOTHING they say can be taken with any bit of credibility..and it's their own fault. "Native email in 60 days after launch, native email by fall, native email by end of year, native email by February"..it's all been a big deceipt.
    vrs626, JeepBB and soccernamlak like this.
    12-22-11 09:54 AM
    All he does is reference the BGR article. Vicious circle of commentary instead of journalism continues.

Also isn't apple waiting on the same LTE chip.
    12-22-11 09:57 AM
    BGR's accuracy is essentially the same as choosing "C" all the way on a multiple choice test. You get a lot wrong but you'll at least get a few right.

I guess, to a lot of people here, getting the few stories right is good enough to overshadow all the BS and shilling they've done.

In the Crackberry podcast the crew mentioned that there hasn't been many leaks, but since this nonesense/rumors are happening consistently, I'd beg to differ.

This is one area RIM really needs to crack down on.
    12-22-11 09:59 AM
    Who believes the LTE story? No one with any knowledge of mobile chipsets. The chip RIM says its waiting on has been available for more than a year (See Thunderbolt - a dual core LTE phone) there are plenty of these chips in phones and available for manufacture. What isn't in short supply is the manufactured lies from RIM. It was reported more than a year ago that the extreme bi-furcation of RIM's practice groups was causing serious issues. This appears to be one of them. The development of QNX for BB (now BB10) completely outside of the groups responsible for BES/BIS integration. The ancient Java OS and Enterprise infrastucture did not play nicely with QNX - was clear from the release of the PB, what was not instantly clear but like the fog burning off, is now coming into focus, is that these systems may notever be working together. The current QNX builds were more or less from the ground up for BB, but they failed to re-develop the BES/BIS infrastructure from the ground up and have been trying to patch ever since. Sort of like BB Traffic. Great program but completely unable to integrate more than a year later with BB Maps - so you get no map view. They just keep on patching it.

Who knows? Maybe they finally decided to start all over and integrate both systems from the ground up. But with the diminshed resources and shareholder pressure, I personally don't think its a race they can win.

If only someone had the foresight to see all this coming down the road years ago...
    Last edited by 1magine; 12-22-11 at 10:03 AM.
    12-22-11 09:59 AM
    That whole article sounds like it is coming from someone that is really bitter. Obviously its not as good as iOS 1 or Android 2. It's not even out yet!! As it evolves, I'm sure it will get better, just as iOS and Android did as they evolved. I think its pretty obvious they are going to run into problems along a MAJOR transition. I think it is once again a truthful but generic article that really states the obvious.
    12-22-11 10:03 AM
    Who believes the LTE story? No one with any knowledge of mobile chipsets. The chip RIM says its waiting on has been available for more than a year (See Thunderbolt - a dual core LTE phone) there are plenty of these chips in phones and available for manufacture. What isn't in short supply is the manufactured lies from RIM. It was reported more than a year ago that the extreme bi-furcation of RIM's practice groups was causing serious issues. This appears to be one of them. The development of QNX for BB (now BB10) completely outside of the groups responsible for BES/BIS integration. The ancient Java OS and Enterprise infrastucture did not play nicely with QNX - was clear from the release of the PB, what was not instantly clear but like the fog burning off, is now coming into focus, is that these systems may notever be working together. The current QNX builds were more or less from the ground up for BB, but they failed to re-develop the BES/BIS infrastructure from the ground up and have been trying to patch ever since. Sort of like BB Traffic. Great program but completely unable to integrate more than a year later with BB Maps - so you get no map view. They just keep on patching it.

Who knows? Maybe they finally decided to start all over and integrate both systems from the ground up. But with the diminshed resources and shareholder pressure, I personally don't think its a race they can win.

If only someone had the foresight to see all this coming down the road years ago...
    you do realize that the thunderbolt isn't dual core, right? they actually are going to use a newer chip that I'm sure is more power efficient but nice try on the rant.
    12-22-11 10:05 AM
    That whole article sounds like it is coming from someone that is really bitter. Obviously its not as good as iOS 1 or Android 2. It's not even out yet!! As it evolves, I'm sure it will get better, just as iOS and Android did as they evolved. I think its pretty obvious they are going to run into problems along a MAJOR transition. I think it is once again a truthful but generic article that really states the obvious.
    The main flux of the article was to yes - point out what was obvious to everyone, but to which all media outlets were afraid to call out. THE CEOS ARE LYING.

I know we're all shocked to learn that gambling has been going on in this establishment, now please hand me my winnings.
    12-22-11 10:06 AM
    Good grief... I keep hoping that RIM will make a comeback but it looks like this company will be in te history books soon. What a strange embarrassing story this has become.
    12-22-11 10:09 AM
    you do realize that the thunderbolt isn't dual core, right? they actually are going to use a newer chip that I'm sure is more power efficient but nice try on the rant.

I'm so, so, sorry - Droid Bionic. I don't know maybe Razor as well? The point was the chipset is and has been out there. Sorry if my mis-statement distracted from the truth.
    12-22-11 10:10 AM
    Apple is in a position to wait; RIM isn't.
    phonejunky and soccernamlak like this.
    It's believable... Not saying it is true but it is totally believable. We'll just have to wat and see like usual. Hopefully they have a working model to show at CES and not just one in demo mode.
    All he does is reference the BGR article. Vicious circle of commentary instead of journalism continues.

But Apple isn't hanging it's future on a new OS like RIM is. And unlike Apple that keeps everything they do very quite, RIM has been talking about this magical OS for over a year already.

I understanding waiting on a newer chipset that will use less power. Besides LTE is still not available in many US markets, not sure about the rest of the world....

But delaying a new devices with a the OS that is suppose to "turn around" your company... just doesn't make sense. Unless that OS is not ready to be released.
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 12-22-11 at 10:21 AM.
    purijagmohan likes this.
    12-22-11 10:11 AM
    I'm glad I pulled the trigger on a 9930 instead of waiting for QNX BBX OS10 handsets.

I am quite happy with OS 7.1
    12-22-11 10:12 AM

Beta tests of the Playbook on BES are already underway, with more slated to start soon....
    12-22-11 10:12 AM
    Native PIM works quite well on the Playbook. I had no complaints when I used it. It was an earlier copy than what Kevin has though.
    Can you confirm if it's got same features as PIM in BB OS 7.
    12-22-11 10:13 AM
305 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD