I haven't owned a BlackBerry since 2010. I was one of those that was saying RIM is dead and After looking at the slides, I am more excited about BlackBerry 10 more than ever! I think Research in Motion has a real winner here. I commend +Microsoft for finally getting it together, But I wasn't that impressed with Windows Phone and after using Windows 8 on my HP Laptop, the Live Tiles are annoying.
    01-21-13 01:16 PM
    Wonder if RIM is taking a hit on their margins by offering it for cheaper.
    By definition if you offer something cheaper your margins "take a hit", but it seems like they are going after market share and early adoption. They will have a decade to raise their margins if things go well.
    01-21-13 01:34 PM
    That BGR logo on the bottom will be annoying!
    peter9477 and Barljo like this.
    01-21-13 01:39 PM
    How's such an article exclusive to BGR and not CrackBerry? What was the RIM PR team thinking?
    Makes sense to me. If they can get their biggest haters on board then getting everyone else to follow should be easy.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-21-13 02:34 PM
    Can anyone upload the pics to this thread? Because I can't view it from my browser :/
    maddie8211 likes this.
    01-21-13 02:39 PM
    Do we know yet how BB10 will be backed up? Is it still going to be via desktop software, or will there be cloud options?
    There is a BB Protect available for backing up your offline notes, contacts. Box and dropbox for your files (pictures, video, music). Evernote for your notes.

BB ID for your apps and BBM Contacts. So, what you are worry for?

Oh, you can sync your contacts with gmail or exchange email too
    I'd like to know this as well - I don't sync with gmail, exchange, etc. Not a fan of backing up anything online, only on my pc, flash drives, etc.
    01-21-13 02:45 PM
    I see in those pics that we can't check off what we want deleted...EVERYTHING on the data would be wiped. Hope it's just like drag and drop to move files from our BB10 to the desktop before wiping.
    01-21-13 03:09 PM
    ...Also all those screenshots make it look really nice... :-)
    + 1 These screen shots made me wet! Everything just looks so perfect and polished.. the settings seem to give us control of every single little aspect and how we interact with it.. I don't think i'm going to sleep until this released now! I was excited before.. but after this.. wow..

the photos... what will be left for 30th of Jan to show... :'-\
    I think this actually may have been a controlled leak, just judging by what's not here..

first, there are exactly 100 images.. what are the chances? I'm thinking these were specially selected screenshots as not to reveal the secrets.

second, as I said it's the screens that were missing.. we went though 100 pages of settings screen.. but there was no security screem.. why? because there's questions swirling about pattern lock, and finger print readers (although this one not likely) that haven't been announced.. so the security settings screen was removed! among many other screens i'm sure..

Can anyone upload the pics to this thread? Because I can't view it from my browser :/
    There's literally 100 images...
    01-21-13 03:28 PM
    I see in those pics that we can't check off what we want deleted...EVERYTHING on the data would be wiped. Hope it's just like drag and drop to move files from our BB10 to the desktop before wiping.
    Security Wipe has been around for a long time.
    01-21-13 03:31 PM
    I'd like to know this as well - I don't sync with gmail, exchange, etc. Not a fan of backing up anything online, only on my pc, flash drives, etc.
    Well then BlackBerry Link (the replacement for BlackBerry Desktop Manager) would be for you.
    01-21-13 03:42 PM
    Well I know that, but with the current OS's we're able to choose what we want to wipe before typing in BlackBerry.
    01-21-13 10:39 PM
    These pics are from Jan 16 as per the calendar app. (Unless the date is just wrong) So why post them today and not last week?
    01-21-13 11:12 PM
    This is a HUGE turnaround in the media's mindset on RIM. Huge.
    Banco likes this.
    01-21-13 11:34 PM
    There is a BB Protect available for backing up your offline notes, contacts. Box and dropbox for your files (pictures, video, music). Evernote for your notes.

BB ID for your apps and BBM Contacts. So, what you are worry for?

Oh, you can sync your contacts with gmail or exchange email too

Wow...I personally think it's trashy that we have to back up different information in different places. All these third party things?
    01-22-13 01:07 AM
    These pics are from Jan 16 as per the calendar app. (Unless the date is just wrong) So why post them today and not last week?
    Guess he liked getting lots of Hits on his site, Lol.
    01-22-13 02:18 AM
    One disappointing thing is that seemingly docs to go still can't create powerpoints, only display them. See screenshot 80. Not a huge fan of PPT so hopefully not an issue for me but still, worries me that they haven't really worked on DTG. Although in the grand scheme of all things BB10, I can get over that
    01-22-13 08:50 AM
    Wow...I personally think it's trashy that we have to back up different information in different places. All these third party things?
    I think it's better than putting all our eggs in one basket. Imagine keeping everything in one place and it all gets compromised, corrupted or lost.

As for BB Protect (someone was asking what's backed-up), it currently backs-up the following data, as seen here in my sons recent backup file.
    Address Book 26 24
    Address Book 26 24
    Browser Bookmarks 2 1
    Browser Folders 2 1
    Calendar 112 93
    Calendar 112 93
    Calendar 176 51
    Memos 2 1
    SMS Messages 627 206
    Tasks 3 1
    WLAN Profiles 7 1
    01-22-13 09:00 AM
    By definition if you offer something cheaper your margins "take a hit", but it seems like they are going after market share and early adoption. They will have a decade to raise their margins if things go well.
    well that's the simple way to look at it but we don't know RIMs cost to make these devices nor do we know how much the carriers are subsidizing.
    pmccartney likes this.
    01-22-13 09:23 AM
    Guys and about unlocked devices someone knows something ? Why only with contract it aint fair .!!!
    01-22-13 03:16 PM
    this is good update thanks...
    01-22-13 05:31 PM
    well that's the simple way to look at it but we don't know RIMs cost to make these devices nor do we know how much the carriers are subsidizing.
    I agree. I have to imagine that RIM's choices of lots of things, and specifically the chip, was done exclusively because it will help keep the costs down and thus allow them to have aggressive pricing. If we end up having the same per device cost as the top end android phones or the (gratuitously over-priced for its components) iPhone5, then RIM will need to answer some pretty serious questions about why exactly that is, but I don't see that happening. Depending on exactly how aggressive that pricing is, it might dent their profits to some degree, but that doesn't mean its not a good decision. Look at how insanely cheap the Nexus 4 is... You think google is making much from that? But it solidifies their position. People LOVE companies that sell them good products cheaper than the competition.
    01-23-13 07:15 AM
    Slide no. 21: the one about demo retail display: going to the address shown gives 404 error... Yeah: it means nothing...
    01-23-13 07:21 AM
    How's such an article exclusive to BGR and not CrackBerry? What was the RIM PR team thinking?
    We've really seen almost all of these before. This is just in a gallery and not a video, IMO video is better .
    01-23-13 07:21 AM
    We've really seen almost all of these before. This is just in a gallery and not a video, IMO video is better .
    Likely because BGR got this from someone, not directly from RIM, and thus isnt bound by NDA. How many people do you think are running around these boards alone with access to that very same information? We all know that RIM visits here as well. CB is in a much different standing than BGR. Remember Thorsten's first call? It wasnt to BGR, it was to Kevin.
    01-23-13 07:23 AM
    On top of those two guys above, it's worth remembering that this kind of stuff definitely isn't coming from RIM no matter what BGR are saying. If RIM had given out that information then it wouldn't just a page on BGR, it would be on the BB main page, and then all the carrier pricing would be revealed too. If it was someone from RIM you can bet they got fired, then sued. Leaking from under an NDA, even nice things will get you hunted down and bludgeoned with the law.

Whoever took the screenies is almost certainly a long way disconnected from RIM and blackberries in general, and as a result he leaked them to BGR because it was the only place he thought of to send them. When its RIM's PR department, you can guarantee that it won't be screen shots of disinteresting things, it'll be a device in Kevin's hands with a rep next to him showing off every single drop of awesome that it has.
    01-23-13 01:58 PM
51 123