BG who? I thought no one reads their web trash any more?
    01-31-14 11:37 AM
    They could have at least written that BlackBerry's market share in the US is APPROXIMATELY 0% rather than straight up 0%. At least then the post wouldn't be both pointless and false.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 11:40 AM
    Consider what the acronym BGR stands for, and then consider that if someone is pretentious enough to give themselves that title, he must be wearing some very world-distorting glasses.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    01-31-14 12:00 PM
    They could have at least written that BlackBerry's market share in the US is APPROXIMATELY 0% rather than straight up 0%. At least then the post wouldn't be both pointless and false.
    Do you really think that approximately 0% makes any difference at all? If anything, its more likely to stop the reader in his tracks and think "approximately 0%" - LOL!
    01-31-14 12:25 PM
    There are some other bits of creative math in that article.

Saying iOS users have higher monthly bills is a bit wonky too. Yes. An iOS user in Verizon is going to have a high monthly bill. So does a BlackBerry or an Android.

Clearly they are counting all the Android phones in there on Cricket, Page Plus, etc. Of course when you throw providers that charge a half price rate and carry low end phones/rely on resellers with used handsets, it will make it look like iOS users somehow spend more on their talk/text/data.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 12:42 PM
    The way I grew up, "0"= nothing, zilch.
    50 cents is not a dollar, but it ain't "0" either. 0=0, no matter what. If one's understanding is that 0,0000001% is nothing or "0", it is plain wrong, because it isn't.

Posted via CB10
    OMG, did you just say they have 0.0 percent? Yes you did. If it is less than 0.1, you either need to round or express the number with an additional decimal place. Do you consider pi to be 3?

jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    01-31-14 01:31 PM
    Funny! Most my family activated Blackberry phones in 4th quarter 2014. Apparently we don't matter and didn't get counted. Unfortunately some people who don't know how to think actually believe this garbage when they read it.
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    01-31-14 01:47 PM
    Well I guess the 60,000 or so however many BB10 devices sold to the DoD doesn't count in those numbers that BGR "found"
    Huh??...

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 02:09 PM
    BlackBerry who? Bawhawhawha....
    01-31-14 02:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry is APPROXIMATELY extinct!
    Omnitech and milo53 like this.
    01-31-14 02:19 PM
    Apparently someone at blackberry pissed in his bowl of cheerios over a year ago. Since then, that website had.posted nothing but hatred and is one of the leading reasons as to why blackberry cannot generate sales publicly. He has made no mention of how the carriers defame the company, has done no investigative work on his own and has a penchant for spewing what we know are inaccurate facts and rumors to downright lies. Because the readership os so large, what he /they state on the website is taken as the gold standard. Someone from blackberry media relations should counter each and every post they make!

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 02:31 PM
    I'm trying to figure out what the issue is, here. Is it because most people believe that something like 0.49% should be either displayed as exactly that (not rounded down to 0%) or rounded up to 1% on a pie chart?
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    01-31-14 03:17 PM
    Whatever gets them page views is what they care about.
    01-31-14 03:40 PM
    1. It doesn't surprise me that that site would write that as a headline since they pile on at every chance (other companies as well get the same treatment).

2. BlackBerry's marketshare, we all know is very very low in the US for example. Is it really worth it to quibble over whether it's 0%, .5%, 1%, 2% etc.?

Obviously it's not "0".
    01-31-14 03:47 PM
    "BGR is a leading online destination for news and commentary focused on the mobile and general consumer electronics markets. It is America’s number one source of exclusive and breaking mobile news, and a technology category leader among early adopters, savvy technophiles and casual readers alike."

Hmm, I had to google BGR just to see what you guys were talking about. I guess they are not as much of the leading online destination for tech news as they think they are!!
    01-31-14 04:00 PM
    Duplicate post
    Last edited by Omnitech; 01-31-14 at 04:17 PM.
    01-31-14 04:03 PM
    For all the hate being targeted at BGR, do any of you guys not realize they're just re-stating a report from ANOTHER SOURCE??!! I mean jeez - you say BGR is all 'anti-BB' and all that, blinded, etc - can you not see that you're , only from the opposite perspective?? I mean - take a step back and get some objectivity....

Glad you mentioned objectivity. And while "true objectivity" is a fallacy, here is what a responsible and reputable news organization does with the same data from the same exact source:

BlackBerry accounts for less than 0.5% of smartphone sales, report says - latimes.com

Headline:

" BlackBerry accounts for less than 0.5% of smartphone sales, report says

Body of article:

"Because it's so small, we can't really estimate it with any more precision than that," a spokesman for Consumer Intelligence Research Partners, an equity research firm responsible for the study, told The Times."

In other words A: they didn't print the stupid "0%" claim, and B: they actually did their job and asked the source to clarify.

It serves no constructive purpose when people seek out the most tenuous excuses to trot out their favorite polarized accusations of other people here who have a different POV.
    01-31-14 04:14 PM
    Consider what the acronym BGR stands for, and then consider that if someone is pretentious enough to give themselves that title, he must be wearing some very world-distorting glasses.

Dunning-Kruger effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    deltact likes this.
    01-31-14 04:22 PM
    Apparently someone at blackberry pissed in his bowl of cheerios over a year ago. Since then, that website had.posted nothing but hatred and is one of the leading reasons as to why blackberry cannot generate sales publicly. He has made no mention of how the carriers defame the company, has done no investigative work on his own and has a penchant for spewing what we know are inaccurate facts and rumors to downright lies.

My understanding is that he was once in good graces with Blackberry to the degree that he would go to lunch w/ top execs and they gave him all sorts of inside info and so on.

Then at some point he lost his privileged status, whereupon he started ragging on the company every chance he got.
    01-31-14 04:24 PM
    My understanding is that he was once in good graces with Blackberry to the degree that he would go to lunch w/ top execs and they gave him all sorts of inside info and so on.

Then at some point he lost his privileged status, whereupon he started ragging on the company every chance he got.
    There is a certain thing called maturity that often comes with age.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    01-31-14 04:30 PM
    Funny! Most my family activated Blackberry phones in 4th quarter 2014. Apparently we don't matter and didn't get counted. Unfortunately some people who don't know how to think actually believe this garbage when they read it.
    You can't blame BGR for missing your purchases, quarter 4 of 2014 starts in 8 months time?

Let's face it next to nothing or nothing? IMHO There is no way back for BlackBerry in the US consumer market, and I feel that the UK and many previously solid BB markets will be going the same way if they haven't all ready.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    01-31-14 04:52 PM
    BGR must have their heads up their ... you know where ... hehehe .... 0.0% market share is mathematically impossible ... There must be enough BB devices out there to have at least 0.001% .... Why do they even waste time writing an article like that? More importantly, why pay someone's salary to write crap like that? They should just donate the money to a better cause ...
    There is no rounding up or down. 0% = 0%!
    It is precisely just that. Everything else is NOT 0%.

Posted via CB10
    Take a business calculator, set the tab to 1 decimal place (so it reads 0.0), then subtract 0.99 from 1.

Rounding means that although 0.01 does not equal 0.0, it is represented as such.
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    01-31-14 05:02 PM
    Take a business calculator, set the tab to 1 decimal place (so it reads 0.0), then subtract 0.99 from 1.

Rounding means that although 0.01 does not equal 0.0, it is represented as such.
    I understand what you say. It is still wrong and stupid.
    It is the same as saying that 5:59 is six o'clock. CLOSE, but not the same.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 05:13 PM
    It's pretty embarrassing, this thread, the number of people claiming that BGR is claiming this. They aren't, they're citing an external study. Everything about this thread is misleading. Even if it's 0.whatever the point is really the same, and that is that BlackBerry is dead in the USA. I wish it weren't. I wish I could get a Z30 here, but I can't, and because I truly believe it's over for BlackBerry and consumers, I probably won't invest in another BlackBerry.
    milo53, Rolf Hed and PFman like this.
    01-31-14 05:32 PM
    It's pretty embarrassing, this thread, the number of people claiming that BGR is claiming this. They aren't, they're citing an external study.

See post #92.

BGR is not just a "neutral conduit". Far from it.

Thanks for playing. (to the audience)
    01-31-14 06:28 PM
169 ... 23456 ...