I really like my Z30, quick efficient and easy to use. In many ways a perfect phone for me.

I have a tariff that I carried over from my old Torch phone but T Mobile have now realised that this tariff shouldn't work with bb10 as there's no BIS on bb10. Its such a good tariff that I'm thinking of switching back to an old BlackBerry and wanted some recommendations, purely based on battery length really. And I'm more than happy to stick an oversized battery in it too.

Can I setup the equivalent tof the bb10 hot spot with the OS7 phones? I was hoping to use my Z30 through the old phones tariff.

Before you all think I'm mad, my tariff is an all you can eat anywhere in the world data plan for �15 a month. I can't find anything like this anywhere and being a huge traveller it's too good to give up.

Thanks for any advice

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 02:05 AM
    Get a 9900 as it's the best OS 7 device, plus it can run HotSpot.
    MobileMadness002 and niss63 like this.
    09-01-14 02:13 AM
    Yeah. I too go with Bla1ze's suggestion.
    Since you don't mind sticking up a huge battery, buy a 3300mah Mugen battery and you're good to go

Get a 9900 as it's the best OS 7 device, plus it can run HotSpot.
    09-01-14 02:17 AM
    Hotspot will drink up your 9900 battery so quick you can't even have enough time login into crackberry and why bb10 doesnt have bis? Im using bis with my q5 and its great, no data for facebook, bbm, push mail and still have 500mb a month for a price of 2.5$

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 02:18 AM
    How do you do that ?

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 02:19 AM
    First register bis, then go to setting -> about -> network. Press a 3dot button and press register blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 03:52 AM
    First register bis, then go to setting -> about -> network. Press a 3dot button and press register blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    That is not BIS as you know it. BlackBerry 10 no longer require bis, and your 500 mb won't be enough...

Sent from my white Q10 using Tapatalk
    09-01-14 03:56 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion, i'll go and have a look at the 9900 then!

What is Vutranloc using them if it's not BIS? And would it fool my T Mobile account into thinking it was BIS!!?

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 05:00 AM
    There is a problem when existing customers have to revert to older models. I wonder if there is anything that can be done in this regard to make BlackBerry 10 better with data.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 07:02 AM
    That is not BIS as you know it. BlackBerry 10 no longer require bis, and your 500 mb won't be enough...

Sent from my white Q10 using Tapatalk
    I have no idea but I have done many tests with facebook and bbm: I download 100 pics and use bbm for a day, no other apps using internet, and at the end of the day my 500mb is still there (of course not perfect 500 but 494 495, as I do use whatsapp a little)

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 10:03 PM
    Btw when connecting to bis your ip will change to 10.x.x.x, as the same as legacy bb devices if I remember correctly

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 10:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    It doesn't work, I just activated BIS on my 9790 and inserted that sim in my Q10, and tried this, but it doesn't connect.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 11:30 PM
    I'll just post my screenshot then. I'm using alot this month for 9gag and browser so only 31mb left. But I can always buy 300mb more for just 0.5$

Best downgrade from BlackBerry 10?-img_20140902_124223.png

Best downgrade from BlackBerry 10?-img_20140902_124112.png

Best downgrade from BlackBerry 10?-img_20140902_124116.png

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 12:44 AM
    There's no bis in BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 01:40 AM
    Actually bb10 doesnt require BIS, but it has bis, and I'm using it now, check my screenshot. Maybe your carriers do not recognize bb10 devices as bb so you dont have bis but in Vietnam bis is working fine on legacy and bb10 device, with much cheaper price with other unlimited data plan

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 01:59 AM
    Vutranloc, what did you mean 'First register BIS'? I can follow the rest of your steps.

It seems to me to be worth trying this and seeing what happens. My data plan only works with BIS, so I have no data currently except on wifi. So if I follow your steps and I get data then my phone is either working through BIS, or fooling T Mobile into thinking it's BIS.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 03:04 PM
    I have BIS on my Q10 as well as on my Bold 9900. I registred for BIS for my Q10... may be silly coz "i don't need to" but it is related to my phone number and I have a "double sim"-plan, for both phones.
    I don't know what I gain with BIS on my Q, but without it, Bold can't use BBM.
    I created a Group for both phones, sharing a task-list, as well as a calendar.
    Any phone I pick up, I have the same content (only displayed differently)

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    09-02-14 03:33 PM
    Anischab, how do you register for BIS. That's the bit I don't understand!

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 04:05 PM
    Via provider/carrier... I went to a T-point... A Telekom-shop, I made them activate it and signed a sheet/contract. I payed for that, it augmented my monthly bill... but pls don't ask how much, I am not sure if it was 5 or 10 EUR per month.
    May be it is relevant for you... we had to get a "business contract"... they have no BIS for BB10 for "normal ppl" so they had to name me a "business customer" or so...
    In German: "Geschaeftskunde". That's how I did it.

09-02-14 04:09 PM
    Thanks for that, no wonder I couldn't find it on the phone!

I have a BIS plan on my contract anyway - if I put my sim in a OS7 phone it works fine so I assume this means I'm registered for BIS.

I've followed the other steps and my IP address doesn't change so I think this work round won't work for my Provider T Mobile UK.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 04:19 PM
    Thanks for that, no wonder I couldn't find it on the phone!

I have a BIS plan on my contract anyway - if I put my sim in a OS7 phone it works fine so I assume this means I'm registered for BIS.

I've followed the other steps and my IP address doesn't change so I think this work round won't work for my Provider T Mobile UK.

Posted via CB10
    Okay, now try to get a 2nd sim card from T-mobile, for your "car phone" ;-) It costs only one time 10 EUR/POUNDS and then you have a "secondary card" that is BIS activated automatically. You can use data with it, internet, make calls... Both phones ring at the same time, you can make call from both (but not at the same time, coz it's the same number).
    Only sms-texting is restricted to the primary SIM-Card!!
    That's how I did it and I don't need to swap the SIM-Card anymore!

09-02-14 04:42 PM
    For me activating bis is so easy, you just have to send a sms to your provider and that's it. So first I text them to register my sim for a bis data plan, then go to setting and activate it, done.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 01:44 AM
    Curiouser and curioser... well my data bundle that I bought ran out today and I've still got data. everything works fine and I have a text from T Mobile saying I've exhausted my data bundle and need to buy another. I've checked on my account which confirms this, so my initial impressions are that I'm on BIS! Moving into switzerland tomorrow so we'll see what happens then. Do I need to re register each time I change mast I wonder?

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 01:11 PM
    I think we are mistaking two different things here:

1) BlackBerry BIS service, which was required by pre-BB10 BlackBerry devices to connect to BBM, BB WORLD, and push email servers.

2) "BlackBerry BIS" DATA PLANS offered by your carrier. These were/are cheaper data plans that offered less data, but were/are only offered for BlackBerry devices.

On BB10, even if you retain your cheaper old carrier BlackBerry-only data plan, you are no longer connecting to the BIS servers for all your Internet traffic. The data isn't compressed, and thus will eat up data much faster.

Having said that, there are some carriers that still recognize and treat BB10 devices as just being "a BlackBerry", so they will let you (or force you to) sign up for those old BlackBerry-only data plans that are cheaper but offer much less data.

For example, Digicel in Barbados, requires you to activate one of the pre-paid BlackBerry plans in order to get data on a BB10 device. I mistakenly activated a "normal" data package, and it simply would not work. All I would get was 4g (not 4G). As soon as I activated the BlackBerry prepaid data plan (which was cheaper but had less data),.. the 4G and the BlackBerry symbol both came on.

So,... this is all based on how the carrier manages their plans.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 01:31 PM
    Curiouser and curioser... well my data bundle that I bought ran out today and I've still got data. everything works fine and I have a text from T Mobile saying I've exhausted my data bundle and need to buy another. I've checked on my account which confirms this, so my initial impressions are that I'm on BIS! Moving into switzerland tomorrow so we'll see what happens then. Do I need to re register each time I change mast I wonder?

Posted via CB10
    It concerns only 4G/LTE and HSPDA!
    So 3G is available, EDGE is available and you can up/download data but slowly... If you want to get the full up/download speed, you should pay for it again. No need, if you're satisfied with the amount of data you tranfer at the given/available speed.

09-03-14 03:32 PM
26 12