can crackberry forum mods stop this type of posting please.
    a crackberry forum user should not have implied legal threats made against her for posting a very valid thread.

just for the record, i doubt a rim rep will attend every store and i doubt every staff is going to get an hours training on one platform.
    sounds more likely that the managers will get all that and then they feed it back to their staff.
    op has your husband fed the training back to his manager and told him its not up to scratch?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    I agree that RIM most likely doesn't have enough reps to visit every store and they likely focus on the carriers - which they should. I am just personally disappointed probably because I'm so excited. As I mentioned before it's entirely possible that the BB10 training is exactly the same as any other training they have gotten. It's just because we know so much more is possible that it makes us shake our heads. I know that their iPhone 5 training was very similar and they never see an apple rep - but then there was nothing really new about the iphone.

The manager is actually very onboard with BB10. He texted us about it a couple of months ago at the managers conference saying it was a 'game changer'' and I think once they get the units in they will not find them hard to use or demonstrate. I just want them all to be as pumped as I am darn it!
    01-28-13 06:41 AM
    I agree that RIM most likely doesn't have enough reps to visit every store and they likely focus on the carriers - which they should. I am just personally disappointed probably because I'm so excited. As I mentioned before it's entirely possible that the BB10 training is exactly the same as any other training they have gotten. It's just because we know so much more is possible that it makes us shake our heads. I know that their iPhone 5 training was very similar and they never see an apple rep - but then there was nothing really new about the iphone.

The manager is actually very onboard with BB10. He texted us about it a couple of months ago at the managers conference saying it was a 'game changer'' and I think once they get the units in they will not find them hard to use or demonstrate. I just want them all to be as pumped as I am darn it!
    having a manager who is into bb10 might have something to do with it. for him and us the training may be more then enough because we know all about it, but to the general consumer it will be lacking.

for example i lent my playbook to my better half, and she asked how to close an app. i naturally said "just gesture up from the bottom". she looked at me as if i was crazy. the term gesture has become natural to me when using playbooks, but i forget that it means nothing to other people.

hopefully they get a bit more training if they get a dummy unit in.

Vorkosigan likes this.
    01-28-13 07:47 AM
    I hear ya PK, no problem.

Must be too much adrenaline running through me waiting for Jan.30 , woot woot!

You excited PK?
    Very excited! And I get to see the software, or most of it anyways right on the 30th as they are releasing an update to the Dev Alpha to update it to near release status. (It's getting phone, hub and maps!!!) I think this will be a very interesting week.

As for Best Buy, their phone unit has always been a mixed bag in my opinion. Often times they have great prices and promotions and SOME knowledgable people, but often it's quite the opposite. I think it depends on the store, and the rep in question. They ARE provided tools and they can educate themselves. Some of them just do a better just of it than others.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    01-28-13 08:05 AM
    the best and brightest of the Geek Squad
    You owe me a new screen. Spat coffee all over it, laughing when I saw that.
    01-28-13 09:05 AM

Have you ever worked in retail? Outside of a few managers, no one is ever "pumped" to sell anything. All of them are counting down the minutes until their shift is over because retail is where souls go to die. I worked in retail for a total of 4 years while in school and a year afterwards and 90% of my coworkers hated their job. Can't rely on sales reps to give a crap about BB10, it's going to be successful through word of mouth and good advertising.
    Admorris and Rickroller like this.
    01-28-13 10:31 AM
    ... retail is where souls go to die.
    God if that isn't the truth. Made me lol for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    Rickroller, ppeters914 and pkcable like this.
    01-28-13 10:58 AM
    Have you ever worked in retail? Outside of a few managers, no one is ever "pumped" to sell anything. All of them are counting down the minutes until their shift is over because retail is where souls go to die. I worked in retail for a total of 4 years while in school and a year afterwards and 90% of my coworkers hated their job. Can't rely on sales reps to give a crap about BB10, it's going to be successful through word of mouth and good advertising.
    she never said all managers, she talked about one particular manager and as you say yourself, there are a few like that. edit: just noticed i read the wrong part of what you were referring to
    other then that, yeah for the majority, bb10 is just another option for a sale.

Last edited by darkehawke; 01-28-13 at 01:18 PM.
    01-28-13 11:56 AM
    Most accounts are indicating that the release of the phones to stores will be at least Feb 5th.
    This gives a minimum of 6 days after the software intro for RIM to get training to the retailers.
    Looking only at the amount of leaked information that has been posted, imagine if every carrier had full details about the phones.
    There would be no hype, and no anticipation of Jan 30.
    There will be plenty of time to train on the phones, and the people who will be first in line to buy will already know almost everything there is to know.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    01-28-13 01:48 PM
    +1, If the training remains non-existance, I'm definintely up to be part of the CrackBerry army to teach people how to use the BlackBerry 10 phones.
    -Imagines random people pretending to be BestBuy employees teaching people how to use the BB10 phone-

Heh heh.
    That's probably not as crazy as it sounds. i'll be hanging out at my carrier store helping people out if they ask.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    01-28-13 02:19 PM
    You owe me a new screen. Spat coffee all over it, laughing when I saw that.
    LOL, I know I know. Unfortunately, you need the retail middlemen.
    01-28-13 03:27 PM
    There is no training from RIM on this? This may not be that big of a deal, the gestures for BB10 look very natural, one of the things I never liked about Android was the odd gestures.
    01-28-13 04:52 PM
    I'm beginning to think these stories of retail stores not being trained and having no excitement over bb10 are no longer just anecdotal. This should be very troubling for BB and their enthusiasts.

So 1 store's issue as non-anecdotal?
    01-28-13 04:53 PM
    Look around, there are quite a few stories from multiple sources saying basically the same thing.

01-28-13 05:19 PM
    From my experience working at a dealership for Telus years ago, back when the pearl was first released, we were never trained very well on the phones we sold. The real training was taking out the phones ourselves and using them, discussing phones amongst ourselves, and talking to customers. The training courses and stuff we did do was all very basic, so I wouldn't be too worried. The good sales reps are going to educate themselves anyway.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    01-28-13 05:42 PM
    I actually have worked in retail and absolutely hated it. After market auto parts are not the most exciting things to sell. Lol.

But doesn't a part of you want everyone to know how amazing this mobile computing experience is going to be? I've never been so excited for a tech release in my life. Not even when the commodore 64 came out. You'll have to forgive my enthusiasm.
    01-28-13 06:31 PM
    I'm as pessimistic about RIM as probably anybody on here and even I am getting a little excited...lol

I just love tech no matter who the manufacturer.

01-28-13 06:43 PM
    based on my experience w/ another store earlier today, that would make @ least 2,,, they were pretty much clueless,,, i even made a second call to get hold of the manager & they fumbled (yes, that is a football [the American type] reference) that,too...
    01-28-13 06:43 PM
    They should hire me I know everything about the BB10.
    Every gesture and every shortcut.
    I am so confident I will be able to sell one to the sales person trying to sell it to me.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    01-28-13 09:04 PM
    Our store (Canada) had a sales team meeting yesterday including Blackberry10 as well as online learning. Our mobile team is very stoked - professionally and personally - and those of us hardcore Blackberry fans (all 3 lol) are holding our heads up high...

Not sure where OP's dh works; might be a local issue - we can hope! Keep on educating, Vorkosigan (Cordelia, I presume ;-)

As for Crackberrians showing the love to other customers in Best Buys, c'mon in! Nothing like a little random cursor movement on a demo PlayBook from a guerilla bridged-9900 to catch customers' attention

PS, finally just realized that the icons here are BBM ones!
    01-28-13 10:17 PM
    It isn't just retail, any job that involves dealing with the general public is a soul sucking nightmare.
    Nothing has made me despise humanity more than dealing with the lowest common denomination on a daily basis.
    Then after a while, you stop hating them and realize the truth... You really just hate yourself for putting yourself in that position.
    **** retail.
    larsonage likes this.
    01-28-13 11:15 PM
    How interesting to read for some people their phones have truly become their religion.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    alexwise likes this.
    01-29-13 12:28 AM
    It isn't just retail, any job that involves dealing with the general public is a soul sucking nightmare.
    Nothing has made me despise humanity more than dealing with the lowest common denomination on a daily basis.
    Then after a while, you stop hating them and realize the truth... You really just hate yourself for putting yourself in that position.
    **** retail.
    Well said

01-29-13 05:11 AM
    Our store (Canada) had a sales team meeting yesterday including Blackberry10 as well as online learning. Our mobile team is very stoked - professionally and personally - and those of us hardcore Blackberry fans (all 3 lol) are holding our heads up high...

Not sure where OP's dh works; might be a local issue - we can hope! Keep on educating, Vorkosigan (Cordelia, I presume ;-)

As for Crackberrians showing the love to other customers in Best Buys, c'mon in! Nothing like a little random cursor movement on a demo PlayBook from a guerilla bridged-9900 to catch customers' attention

PS, finally just realized that the icons here are BBM ones!
    Indeed you are correct. Lady Vorkosigan.

We are in the sticks, no doubt about that, lol. I'm still hopeful he'll come home today or tomorrow and say they got some awesome training. Until then, I've got him pretty well trained.

I'm picturing retail stores full of crackberry faithful selling BB10 phones. Not such a stretch. I once sold a lady a computer at a Staples. Zero help in their tech department at the time.
    01-29-13 06:01 AM
    This is an interesting thread and would love more comments from people who actually worked at a retail re-seller store. I have access to RIM training videos and I have also been in training from the Carrier and other manufacturer reps and guess what? I started my own company 6 years ago because there is so much lack in that department.

To give some credit to the retail stores, how on earth can they know every detail about every single smartphone out there? Not possible. The retail clerk would obviously push devices that he/she or the store would get more kickback from. Right? Is it still that way? That they get a kickback?

Studies show that people use about 10% of the devices capability so we train on the other 90%, including how to mitigate costs when you travel so you don't get a 70,000 bill! It DOES happen! Would the carrier want you to know that? hmmmmmmm Nope, that would eat into their profits. Changes are constant in my field. We currently only train on the top two in Corporate which for us is BlackBerry and iPhone. There are updates to the OS's constantly unlike years ago when it was maybe once a year and wasn't important unless you were experiencing issues. I don't see how the staff at a retail store could ever know any smartphone in detail, so I am not sure it is fair to judge. Just food for thought. Plus on the bright side for my company, we are always busy providing corporate and private training! We can train a full day on both iPhone/iPad and BlackBerry/PlayBook.
    01-29-13 10:24 AM
    This is an interesting thread and would love more comments from people who actually worked at a retail re-seller store. I have access to RIM training videos and I have also been in training from the Carrier and other manufacturer reps and guess what? I started my own company 6 years ago because there is so much lack in that department.

To give some credit to the retail stores, how on earth can they know every detail about every single smartphone out there? Not possible. The retail clerk would obviously push devices that he/she or the store would get more kickback from. Right? Is it still that way? That they get a kickback?

Studies show that people use about 10% of the devices capability so we train on the other 90%, including how to mitigate costs when you travel so you don't get a 70,000 bill! It DOES happen! Would the carrier want you to know that? hmmmmmmm Nope, that would eat into their profits. Changes are constant in my field. We currently only train on the top two in Corporate which for us is BlackBerry and iPhone. There are updates to the OS's constantly unlike years ago when it was maybe once a year and wasn't important unless you were experiencing issues. I don't see how the staff at a retail store could ever know any smartphone in detail, so I am not sure it is fair to judge. Just food for thought. Plus on the bright side for my company, we are always busy providing corporate and private training! We can train a full day on both iPhone/iPad and BlackBerry/PlayBook.
    These are good points. With a major platform launch though, and this is a Mobile store remember, so it's not as if they have other tech like the regular Best Buy and Future Shop stores, I was just hoping for more.

However -as some posters have pointed out: there may be things under wraps until tomorrow. Can you believe it's less than 15 hours away!
    This is a minimum wage job of drudgery for many of the employees so why should they care.
    Stores in the main city centre's are possibly getting more training.
    And finally I need to remember this is a World Wide launch and doesn't revolve around us hicks from the sticks.
    01-29-13 05:59 PM
76 1234