I honestly don't think people care and from the comments I get when people see that I have a BlackBerry there is almost a pleasure in hating BlackBerry, some weird twisted joy that since you have another phone that you've been lead to believe your a superior person. This is something that BlackBerry has to fix, the marketing is non-existent and needs to change, they have a good product, it really is when stacked up against the others a fine and comparable product that deserves far greater recognition than it receives. It is NOT the old BlackBerry and BlackBerry needs to make this very clear.

This saga is just another example that I'm sure has been played out not only in Canada but around the world. And with most consumers sheep to the marketing they just buy what everyone else buys.

Unfortunate that a Canadian Company in Bestbuy has decided to ultimately have a hand in trying to Kill another Canadian Brand

Best buy can consider me a former customer from this point forward

Posted via CB10
    Killjoyhere likes this.
    08-29-14 11:18 PM
    Traitors. John Chen, this will hurt market share.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 11:06 AM
    I honestly don't think people care and from the comments I get when people see that I have a BlackBerry there is almost a pleasure in hating BlackBerry, some weird twisted joy that since you have another phone that you've been lead to believe your a superior person. This is something that BlackBerry has to fix, the marketing is non-existent and needs to change, they have a good product, it really is when stacked up against the others a fine and comparable product that deserves far greater recognition than it receives. It is NOT the old BlackBerry and BlackBerry needs to make this very clear.

This saga is just another example that I'm sure has been played out not only in Canada but around the world. And with most consumers sheep to the marketing they just buy what everyone else buys.

Unfortunate that a Canadian Company in Bestbuy has decided to ultimately have a hand in trying to Kill another Canadian Brand

Best buy can consider me a former customer from this point forward

Posted via CB10
    Nicely said.

Posted via CB10
    drfever likes this.
    09-01-14 11:09 AM
    Incredibile!!!

Thanks to the OP for sharing.

Most of these sales reps are young and prob have an iPhone or Android so it's easier for them to show a customer how the phone works.

But imo having tried my aon's iPhone and my wife's iPad, the theory that the BlackBerry OS is complicated is a joke and an excuse for laziness from sales reps.

BlackBerry 10 is easy, fluid and more functional.

I can't stand the arrogance from sales reps or iPhone and Android geeks.

I wish Chen would start opening some BlackBerry kiosks and BlackBerry stores. At the very least MARKET the phones.

I won't be buying my accessories at Best Buy anymore. That's for sure.

Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    09-01-14 03:20 PM
    So some friends of mine have Z10's and they made a deal with Telus to upgrade to the Z30 with their contract. So armed with this information they went to Future Shop (owned by Bestbuy) as they thought they'd most likely have the best stock of the phone and Future Shop told my friends that BlackBerry has stopped manufacturing the Z30 and it is no longer available to purchase ???????

WHAT THE F#$! Future shop ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

I guess then Telus, bell and Rogers are lying when they show the phone available on their websites, because as the rep at Future Shop said BlackBerry doesn't even make the phone anymore

This is total bull crap

Confirms my choice to never shop at these two stores ever again

What a pile

From my Zed 30 running 10.3.0.675
    10-28-14 01:29 PM
    I just want to add that both Best Buy and Future Shop still have Z30's on display for multiple providers.

So please tell me how they can be discontinued by BlackBerry???

10-28-14 02:25 PM
    John Chen is on the right strategy. He has sold every single Passport he had for sale. Maybe when retailers and carriers realize that they can also make money by selling BlackBerry 10 devices, they change their mind.

Meanwhile BlackBerry is making fresh cash by selling phones directly to the consumer. This will help the Company to gain traction and market share. This is going into the right direction. Let's wait and see.
    10-28-14 02:41 PM
    As I said earlier in the thread there seems to be a certain joy in badmouthing BlackBerry, and BlackBerry themselves needs to work hard to market these phones the simple fact that a major Canadian retailer has its staff erroneously telling people lies is disturbing and doesn't seem to be getting corrected by BlackBerry.

10-28-14 02:45 PM
    In all of this lets remember BlackBerry is not focusing on the consumer market and likely not spending time and resources to provide incentives and support to retailers in the consumer market. I have hard time blaming a retailer for supporting companies that give something back and not supporting the ones who don't. BestBuy has to make decisions on what is best for them, they are not obligated to support BlackBerry (good or bad).

I am a Blackberry loyalist, who has never owned Android, iPhone or Windows phone but tried to look at things from an unbiased perspective.

Do I wish the situation was different? Yes.
    Can I understand why BlackBerry doesn't get support from retailers? Yes.

the marketing is non-existent and needs to change, they have a good product, it really is when stacked up against the others a fine and comparable product that deserves far greater recognition than it receives. It is NOT the old BlackBerry and BlackBerry needs to make this very clear.
    Change is already here ?On the marketing front, BlackBerry signaled its new direction when the company hired B2B ad agency gyro earlier this month, scuttling its former ad partner BBDO, which is known for its campaigns for Snickers, Visa and M&M's, among other consumer brands. ?
    [LINK]http://mashable.com/2014/10/19/blackberrys-turnaround-plan/[/LINK]

I will be first to agree mistakes were made when BB10 was introduced to the consumer market, one of the biggest was making people aware the BB10 is not the BBOS of old. However, with the shift in focus to enterprise they have moved to an ad agency which aligned with this direction. Hopefully this bears more fruit.

I am glad BlackBerry went after the consumer market, even though, mistakes were made, otherwise people today may blame Blackberry fall on the fact they never tried to expand there core competency. ?We win or we learn?. I have the same feeling about Playbook, PBOS, etc. I feel these were necessary learning curves that will make BlackBerry continue to be a power house in the enterprise market and enable them to attract the ?Prosumer? crowd.

I think it is human nature to follow the crowd as I believe there is more 'sheep' than wolves in the world. Marketing's function is to create awareness, interest, desire, etc. So it appears some companies are marketing (to consumers) better than others. People may not always buy the best but what they feel is best for them. In either case, people buy for their reasons not ours.

When BlackBerry was the dominate player in the mobile phone market in terms of share were people being sheep then too? I think what is 'best' is a matter of ones needs and personal opinion.
    Do I think Blackberry BB10 phones are the best yes, but if I only played games I may think otherwise. And it wouldn't be other phones themselves are better, bet the overall ?eco-system? (even though I am not a fan of that term).

BestBuy is not a Canadian company and never has been, although they made have a Canadian business unit. BestBuy purchased Futureshop, which was until that point a Canadian company, back in 2001.

[LINK] http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/best...llion-1.285215 [/LINK]

I strongly doubt any decisions made regarding BlackBerry are made to ?kill? the company. It is much more likely they made the decision based in their own self-interest. As BlackBerry has purposely shifted focus to the enterprise market I am sure the support and incentives provided by Blackberry to consumer outlets do not justify the retailers dedicating resources to the BB10 phones. It is likely other companies offer more in terms of both direct support and incentives .

Yes I am a BlackBerry loyalist, but companies like BestBuy don't exist to keep BlackBerry afloat. They have to do what they feel is best for BestBuy.

Posted via CB10
    Actn_Jksn likes this.
    10-28-14 03:03 PM
    Then explain why they still have sample phones like the Q10, Q5 and Z30.

If you put a product on the shelf for people to see, wouldn't you want that to be of a product you sell and not one supposedly "no longer manufactured " or " discontinued "?

Wouldn't that be taking space away from the more, shall we say subsidized products?

I would think a store that has decided to stop selling a product would also remove that product from the shelves.

10-28-14 05:02 PM
    Then explain why they still have sample phones like the Q10, Q5 and Z30.

If you put a product on the shelf for people to see, wouldn't you want that to be of a product you sell and not one supposedly "no longer manufactured " or " discontinued "?

Wouldn't that be taking space away from the more, shall we say subsidized products?

I would think a store that has decided to stop selling a product would also remove that product from the shelves.

I can't speak for BestBuy as I presently don't and have never worked for the company and I am not privy to their business strategies and implementation.

From the comments shared earlier in this thread it appears you have the answer as to why. Although different staff promoting the phones appear to have different reasons. Perhaps lack of training, maybe they are just misinformed.

From what I read here instead of people just admitting they aren't really sure the employees seem to be saying what seems to make sense to them.

The best advice I can offer is to reach out directly to BestBuy and see what information they share with you.
    Actn_Jksn likes this.
    10-28-14 08:22 PM
    My best friend owns a Telus Store that tailers to corporate accounts. The Z30 has not been discontinued as a poster indicated above.

The q10 and the Z10have, meaning only existing stock will be sold. The Z10's replacement is soon to be announced and the Q10's replacement will be the classic.

He was advised that a full touch successor to the Z30 is in the works but the Z30 hasn't been discontinued at all.

He also advised me that the iPhone 6 is outselling the Passport st his location as corporations and the business he deals with want to appease their workers but that he is getting orders for the Passport hut not the "demand " similar apple.

He uses the Passport by the way. He test drives all phones. Calls it the best device he's ever used hands down. Tries to get apple geeks to give it a whirl but they are so dead set "apple" and after all he has a business to run so will sell them what they want despite reviewing their corporate needs and advising most that the Passport better suits them.

Which brings me back to a very important point. As live in Toronto. I haven't seen one ad for the Passport on television yet. I see at least two a night for the iPhone6 or a Galaxy.

Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    10-28-14 09:17 PM
    Canadian products not stocked or supported in Canadian stores... what's that all aboot eh?

Z30 144GB
    10-29-14 05:28 AM
    I was in a Best Buy the other day. They had one of the inert sales mockups of the Passport on display. This is on their Canadian website this morning:

Best Buy Canada Discontinues Selling Blackberry 10 Phones-pasport-bestbuy.png

Also these:

Best Buy Canada Discontinues Selling Blackberry 10 Phones-q5-bestbuy.pngBest Buy Canada Discontinues Selling Blackberry 10 Phones-z30-bestbuy.png
    TrueKulcha likes this.
    10-29-14 06:56 AM
    Which is exactly my point why dedicate online resources, and have display models in store, when your staff is proclaiming the phone discontinued?

I have spoken to several sales people at Bestbuy about this issue, and they have no answer as to why they would be dedicating sales space on their site, as well as in their store to something that is apparently discontinued.

I challenge anyone on here that has the time to walk into a Bestbuy and ask to buy a Z30 and see what the result is, you can do the same at Future Shop as well. I'm sure the inconsistencies of answers will be almost comical.

To the poster above I just want to say that a company can chose which products to stock and which to support. However if you have made a decision to not stock the product, why keep advertising that you have it?

10-29-14 08:01 AM
    Which is exactly my point why dedicate online resources, and have display models in store, when your staff is proclaiming the phone discontinued?
    Well coincidentally your answer may be over at SlashDot: We Are All Confident Idiots - Slashdot

This forum is not immune to this effect.

I have spoken to several sales people at Bestbuy about this issue, and they have no answer as to why they would be dedicating sales space on their site, as well as in their store to something that is apparently discontinued.

I challenge anyone on here that has the time to walk into a Bestbuy and ask to buy a Z30 and see what the result is, you can do the same at Future Shop as well. I'm sure the inconsistencies of answers will be almost comical.

To the poster above I just want to say that a company can chose which products to stock and which to support. However if you have made a decision to not stock the product, why keep advertising that you have it?

10-29-14 08:35 AM
    Interesting read from Slashdot , thanks for that Richard

10-29-14 08:52 AM
    Interesting read from Slashdot , thanks for that Richard

Just a more formal way of saying "never ascribe to malice that which is explained by incompetence. " to which I would add indifference.

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-29-14 04:00 PM
    Your less formal way is more formal...

How about "..they have just enough knowledge to be dangerous..."

10-30-14 08:51 AM
    I was in my local Future Shop a couple of weeks ago (owned by Best Buy) and inquired about the passport. The sales rep said he gets as many people asking about it as he does the iPhone 6. According to him they do the sell the phone but don't get a lot of inventory. The rep at my local Telus store also said interest has been equal to the iPhone 6, however they do have a stable supply of stock. Hopefully the Passport can raise the brand awareness enough for more retailers to take notice of Blackberry.
    10-30-14 10:12 PM
    I was in my local Future Shop a couple of weeks ago (owned by Best Buy) and inquired about the passport. The sales rep said he gets as many people asking about it as he does the iPhone 6. According to him they do the sell the phone but don't get a lot of inventory. The rep at my local Telus store also said interest has been equal to the iPhone 6, however they do have a stable supply of stock. Hopefully the Passport can raise the brand awareness enough for more retailers to take notice of Blackberry.
    Most people check out the IPhone 6 at the Apple store for the excitement. Where I live in Asia, there are still long line-ups at the Apple store several weeks after launch while one floor below in the same mall, only a handful of people at two major electronics stores are checking out the IPhone 6. If I ask the salespeople at those two stores if IPhone 6 is getting a lot of interest, they'll probably say no.
    10-30-14 10:21 PM
    My brother went through the same thing in northern Ontario. Northern tel mobility (bell) is sending their customers emails with offers of a free Z30 but no one has stock because they " don't sell" the source even told him they were told to ship all BlackBerry back, they won't be selling them anymore.

This is what's wrong with Canada. If Canadian retailers won't even stock a Canadian product how can we expect any better anywhere else.

Posted via CB10
    Our callback order (Source) was a looooong time ago, and it was redistributed to Bell for distribution to enterprise.

It's not that we won't stock it, I've sold several and have been trying for two weeks to track down a 30 for a business client. But if we get a call back order, we have to follow it.
    10-30-14 10:33 PM
    I just want to add that both Best Buy and Future Shop still have Z30's on display for multiple providers.

So please tell me how they can be discontinued by BlackBerry???

And that, I have a problem with.

The minute the RMA happened and I couldn't get a BB10 device for a customer, they came off display. I am not going to bait and switch.

That crap isn't cool.
    10-30-14 10:39 PM
    The truth is what it is. No one hates making money if selling BlackBerry really can.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 10:45 PM
    So even if a customer came in wanting a BlackBerry they would try and steer him away. Which led me to ask him if the commissions from selling Android, Apple and MS phone was higher and that's what prompted the steer people from BlackBerry and he just kept saying there was no interest in purchasing a BlackBerry. Again the self fulfilling prophecy and dare I say it tampering or collusion to put BlackBerry out of business
    And here we go with the conspiracy theories. Did you ever think BlackBerry is partially responsible for their demise in retail? There is a huge need for advertising and an innovative sales incentive program.

But if BlackBerry is not interested in consumer, those things aren't going to happen. You just have to accept it.
    11-06-14 07:36 AM
50 12