I woke up on Tuesday Morning to a Dead Z30. No problem, I have the Best Buy Product Protection Plan, that i have been paying 13.64 a month for since I got my Zed 30 in October of 2013. Off I go to my closest Best Buy, where I was informed that they had no Z30's or Z10 in stock, I asked them to Check other Stores, which the nice rep in the mobility section did for me, and she found that none of the other stores in the city had any stock. She then looked and found 1 in another city. It was at this point she started to ask questions and was informed by management that Best Buy no longer carries that phone.

Which I found odd considering that I walked past all the major carriers displays and saw at least one and sometimes two variants of the BB10 phones for sale. I asked so you don't stock the phone but you have it for sale? Yes if the customer asks we will tell them we don't have any they didn't sell well and then we try to sell them one of the other phones we do stock. She actually said this!! I was pretty incredulous, you have the phone on dispaly yet if the client wishes to buy it you dont have any and will sell them another companies phone, yes that is right . So I asked what if they really have to have a blackberry? We ask them which provider and redirect them to that companies website to get it that way or we may be able to special order in the phone through best buy.. WHAT????

I was totally shocked

A
    tonystarks662 likes this.
    08-28-14 11:37 PM
    OOPS, I forgot to add that a manager higher up than the lady I spoke with on Thursday phoned me to say my phone would be in tomorrow, and I took the oppurtunity to ask about the discontinue decision. He proceeded to inform that it never sold well and that it has a very complicated operating system that people are confused by. News to me, but hey its not everybody's cup of tea but very complicated, ever used an Android phone???

Anyway we continued talking and I explained it seems like a self fulfilling prophecy that you don't sell many since you don't have any, he disagreed and then said that it was because of market share, they didn't carry the phone because of low market share, I said OK what about Windows phones and he proceeded to say oh yes we carry windows phones at which point I stated that the two have similar market share why stop one and not the other? he decided the conversation was over and hung up
    08-28-14 11:43 PM
    What I'm drawing from the general public is that BB10 is good but no one buys it because no one buys it...
    jope28 likes this.
    08-29-14 01:23 AM
    OOPS, I forgot to add that a manager higher up than the lady I spoke with on Thursday phoned me to say my phone would be in tomorrow, and I took the oppurtunity to ask about the discontinue decision. He proceeded to inform that it never sold well and that it has a very complicated operating system that people are confused by. News to me, but hey its not everybody's cup of tea but very complicated, ever used an Android phone???

Anyway we continued talking and I explained it seems like a self fulfilling prophecy that you don't sell many since you don't have any, he disagreed and then said that it was because of market share, they didn't carry the phone because of low market share, I said OK what about Windows phones and he proceeded to say oh yes we carry windows phones at which point I stated that the two have similar market share why stop one and not the other? he decided the conversation was over and hung up
    Lol. The market share for Windows phone is even weaker in Canada . So they failed with that logic.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    Brandon Orr likes this.
    08-29-14 02:02 AM
    Same problem in Canadian and American politics. I don't know if i ever had faith in the public before but the logic that floats around out there is certainly making me lose what is left of it..

I wonder what John Chen will be doing about these problems. they still need to push for native app development. Amazon just needs to fill a few holes it shouldn't be the main go to app store.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-14 05:49 AM
    My brother went through the same thing in northern Ontario. Northern tel mobility (bell) is sending their customers emails with offers of a free Z30 but no one has stock because they " don't sell" the source even told him they were told to ship all BlackBerry back, they won't be selling them anymore.

This is what's wrong with Canada. If Canadian retailers won't even stock a Canadian product how can we expect any better anywhere else.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-14 06:00 AM
    C'mon, John Chen need to address this immediately. I'd the retailer doesn't want to sell products or are paid to sell other products before anyone else's, there is a Big problem. The "complicated " issue is a made up issue, the market share is being made up. My two of friend went to get new phones both blackberry users, and the clerks said that the iPhone 4 was (an outdated phone) was a good deal. They both miss their blackberry. If retailers say that blackberry is old and no good then why are they selling old crappy I phones to unsuspecting people

Z10
    canuckcam likes this.
    08-29-14 08:59 AM
    Lol. The market share for Windows phone is even weaker in Canada . So they failed with that logic.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft makes it worth their time to stock Windows Phones. Also consider all the other Microsoft stuff they sell; software, XBox, keyboards, mice, and Surface. Best Buy needs to keep Microsoft happy.
    jope28 likes this.
    08-29-14 09:14 AM
    That's the thing, I asked the manager yesterday after he said the phone was too complicated if he had ever had used any of the BB10 phones, he said yes, I just got rid of it yesterday(nice used car salesman talk) I had a Z10 and found it very hard to use. How long did you have I asked, and he said since they came out....oh and you just got rid of it yesterday because you just thought it was too complicated? Interesting. And likely not true, I asked him if his staff was trained to even sell the BlackBerry 10 line, he said of course, at which point I pointed out to him that I showed one of his staff how to load most android apps onto her personal Z10. She had no idea they could do this and was absolutely thrilled that I helped her install instagram and netflix using 1mobile market, she was so happy she didn't have to buy an android or apple. She loves her zed, in her words it's a way eaiser phone to use than her samsung s4 issued work phone and much better to type on and use her multiple email accounts on the zed compared to an apple, but her boss thinks it's a too complicated system.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-14 09:20 AM
    Predatory distribution tactics, like Intel vs AMD?

Posted via CB10
    GPuba likes this.
    08-29-14 09:30 AM
    The one thing I'll throw out there is that Best Buy is a HURTING UNIT right now. Probably close to BlackBerry as how bad they are. So from a business prespective it would make sense to not stock an underpreforming product.

However:
    1) To display the product but then try to get customer to buy something else is completely wrong
    2) Like the OP said their reasoning is totally out to lunch
    3) I personally trust Best By staff as far as I can throw them. To often they have tried to lead me down a nasty path of crappy tech.
    08-29-14 09:31 AM
    That was my take on it the manager kept harping on we don't care what phone the customer wants it's our job to fit them with a phone that fits their lifestyle. So even if a customer came in wanting a BlackBerry they would try and steer him away. Which led me to ask him if the commissions from selling Android, Apple and MS phone was higher and that's what prompted the steer people from BlackBerry and he just kept saying there was no interest in purchasing a BlackBerry. Again the self fulfilling prophecy and dare I say it tampering or collusion to put BlackBerry out of business

Reminds me very much of the Monty Python Cheese shop sketch where the guy comes in for some fancy cheese and repeatedly gets told they don't have that kind so the guy asks for cheddar and the shop owner says

Oh Cheddar? Not much call for that around these parts...

What not much call for cheddar? The most popular cheese here?

What kind of cheese shop is this?

Oh its a very clean cheese shop smiles the owner

It sure is says the customer not dirtied by any kind of cheese....

Come on BlackBerry come on John Chen get on this your being killed out there!

Posted via CB10
    Nick Spagnolo likes this.
    08-29-14 09:33 AM
    "I wonder what John Chen will be doing about these problems. they still need to push for native app development."

What they NEED is visibility. If no one knows has ever heard of BlackBerry, they are not going to buy one. I understand that that advertising costs money, but you will never be able to sell a product that is invisible.
    08-29-14 10:39 AM
    That was my take on it the manager kept harping on we don't care what phone the customer wants it's our job to fit them with a phone that fits their lifestyle. So even if a customer came in wanting a BlackBerry they would try and steer him away. Which led me to ask him if the commissions from selling Android, Apple and MS phone was higher and that's what prompted the steer people from BlackBerry and he just kept saying there was no interest in purchasing a BlackBerry. Again the self fulfilling prophecy and dare I say it tampering or collusion to put BlackBerry out of business

Reminds me very much of the Monty Python Cheese shop sketch where the guy comes in for some fancy cheese and repeatedly gets told they don't have that kind so the guy asks for cheddar and the shop owner says

Oh Cheddar? Not much call for that around these parts...

What not much call for cheddar? The most popular cheese here?

What kind of cheese shop is this?

Oh its a very clean cheese shop smiles the owner

It sure is says the customer not dirtied by any kind of cheese....

Come on BlackBerry come on John Chen get on this your being killed out there!

Posted via CB10
    They've probably just trying to sell the inventory of what THEY have. If they think they will sell two hundred thousand blackberry they buy five hundred thousand I phones, but not all iPhone sell or they are outdated before they can sell the lot, but everyone that wants a Z30 gets one and the inventory depletes in a healthy fashion. Leaving iPhone at a surplus and a company that does not buy old phones back at the purchase price.

Z10
    08-29-14 10:44 AM
    I haven't seen a Blackberry in a US store in months.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-14 11:27 AM

Posted via CB10
    Same here, and probably for the better. Whenever I did spot them, they were within the cheap Android phones, with either no demo at all (just crappy plastic unit), or dead and in terrible external appearance condition. Here in the US, Best Buys now have an "Apple" area, a "Samsung" area, and a "Windows/Microsoft" area, complete with their own display set ups, tables, staff and even floor tiles. Absolutely no way BlackBerry can ever be sold in that environment.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-14 11:57 AM
    That sucks for you. Doesn't affect me as I discontinued shopping there when they closed all those stores in Canada overnight with no warning to staff only a sign on the door the next morning.

Mikescraftbeer.com - C00012735/ Mike Garson Photography - C00471EA8
    08-29-14 12:05 PM
    It still comes down to marketing. MS may have the same market share, but they are marketing hard. If BB marketed half as hard as MS in the US, their market share would jump.

Enterprise users need marketing too.
    08-29-14 12:16 PM
    Same here, and probably for the better. Whenever I did spot them, they were within the cheap Android phones, with either no demo at all (just crappy plastic unit), or dead and in terrible external appearance condition. Here in the US, Best Buys now have an "Apple" area, a "Samsung" area, and a "Windows/Microsoft" area, complete with their own display set ups, tables, staff and even floor tiles. Absolutely no way BlackBerry can ever be sold in that environment.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly what I've seen in store when they were there.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-14 12:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    I really hope they are doing something regarding this. But as many mentioned already, maybe they don't care about this anymore and will focus business. We will see soon enough.
    08-29-14 01:06 PM
    So for fun I went to best buy's website.
    I live between Windsor and London Ontario so I figured I check both areas. Turns out, can't order online and none of the stores in both cities have any stock....

Posted via CB10
    08-29-14 01:40 PM
    Heck same goes for future shop...

Posted via CB10
    08-29-14 01:41 PM
    Future shop and best buy are the same store

Posted via CB10
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    08-29-14 02:07 PM
    Future shop and best buy are the same store

Posted via CB10
    Same owners but slightly different stores.

Mikescraftbeer.com - C00012735/ Mike Garson Photography - C00471EA8
    08-29-14 02:14 PM
    It still comes down to marketing. MS may have the same market share, but they are marketing hard. If BB marketed half as hard as MS in the US, their market share would jump.

Enterprise users need marketing too.
    Well when you have a monopoly and cash cow in the office suite business that gives you leverage in other areas like marketing. They jumped into the video game business and put a company like Sega out of it off the profits of office. That's crony capitalism at it's finest to use a monopoly in one business segment to move in on another but everyone looks the other way so companies like Sega and Palm are put under. If the same fate ever happens to Nintendo and Blackberry it would be very bad for everyone to only have these huge conglomerates and no alternative.
    Last edited by matt4pack; 08-29-14 at 02:51 PM.
    Killjoyhere likes this.
    08-29-14 02:31 PM
50 12