Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chasdrury
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BES / BIS data package - what i have tested....

So, there seems to lots of talk about what BB10 on the Z10 can do and can't do. In the UK, at least, networks are confused too. So, I got a Z10 and did some testing.

Z10 + MicroSIM with BES and 'normal' data package - connection to BES10 perfect which then syncs mail / calendar / contacts from the exchange server the BES box, but still the only open port to outside world is 3101. BBM is fine, app world working etc.

No one at T-mobile could tell me if i needed the BES APN - i had a SIM from a Lumia 920 - popped it in, no specific BB APN's prvisioned on that SIM and everything working as before. You can also set up ACtiveSync accounts directly to exchange without going via teh BES10 server if you can, as well as hotmail etc etc.

Hope this clears up some info for people.....
    Thanked by:
    richbayliss (02-05-2013) 
    richbayliss likes this.
    CrackBerry User

And what about BIS does it act the same as BES? I mean if I use a simcard with a BIS plan on it.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by felberry83 View Post
    And what about BIS does it act the same as BES? I mean if I use a simcard with a BIS plan on it.
    you don't need BIS. just plain old mobile data.....
    CrackBerry Abuser

Is there any way you can give it a try with a BIS SIM card and see if you can use the browser without being charged for data consumption? Cheers mate.
    9900 - PB64GB - Z10 - ......Z30......
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by chasdrury View Post
    you don't need BIS. just plain old mobile data.....
    We know that... We know it doesn't "need" it. We know it doesn't "require" it. We got it.

That's not the question.

CAN it still use BIS if you have it? Can pop3 emails be run through the BIS if you want it? Regardless of whether the phone can do it itself. That's the crux of the other BIS threads since the Z10 release in the UK that those of us in the US want to know - and have yet to have been given a straight answer from those that know... Like straight from BlackBerry.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

OK, so i have BIS also provisioned on my SIM, i used to use it for OWA access to an account. There is no option on the Z10 to set up an account that would connect to BIS.

I have the options of:

ActiveSync
    Work Account (BES)
    Gmail
    Hotmail
    Yahoo
    IMAP
    POP
    CalDAV and CardDav

So it looks like no.
    Chas

Quote Originally Posted by joeldf View Post
    We know that... We know it doesn't "need" it. We know it doesn't "require" it. We got it.

That's not the question.

CAN it still use BIS if you have it? Can pop3 emails be run through the BIS if you want it? Regardless of whether the phone can do it itself. That's the crux of the other BIS threads since the Z10 release in the UK that those of us in the US want to know - and have yet to have been given a straight answer from those that know... Like straight from BlackBerry.
    CrackBerry Genius

OK, so i have BIS also provisioned on my SIM, i used to use it for OWA access to an account. There is no option on the Z10 to set up an account that would connect to BIS.

I have the options of:

ActiveSync
    Work Account (BES)
    Gmail
    Hotmail
    Yahoo
    IMAP
    POP
    CalDAV and CardDav

So it looks like no.
    Chas
    Thanks for checking. Sorry if I sounded a little snippy.

So, have you tried detecting your device through your carrier's BIS portal? I wonder if that is even possible.

Joel
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28c55527

what i would like to know is with ur bis sim in it , do u get charged like a normal data usage or does everything go thru the bis like before / pleaseeeee answer ?

I have the options of:

ActiveSync
    Work Account (BES)
    Gmail
    Hotmail
    Yahoo
    IMAP
    POP
    CalDAV and CardDav

So it looks like no.
    Chas
    curve8310--curve8900--tour9650--curve8520-bold9780--torch9810--Playbook 32gb-Q10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default BES / BIS data package - what i have tested....

Thanks for the info. On BES10 do you have the same IT policy control as previous versions of BES (blocking specific apps or browser etc...)?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by ladeberry View Post
    what i would like to know is with ur bis sim in it , do u get charged like a normal data usage or does everything go thru the bis like before / pleaseeeee answer ?
    The only way i can tell is going to the browser i do not connect via blackberry.net but get a t-mobile IP address. So i am assuming there is no data going via BIS or BES. I wonder if i can set the APN to point to BB though.... hmmmmmm
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Quote Originally Posted by zeeten View Post
    Thanks for the info. On BES10 do you have the same IT policy control as previous versions of BES (blocking specific apps or browser etc...)?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk

At the moment it's very different. THere is an advanced policy pack coming out towards June. There is basic stuff but not as in depth as BES5. However, blackberry balance kind of negates teh need for policy anyway. Work side is locked down, personal side is opne. That's it.