I've heard some people in my company, that we no longer buy BlackBerrys because they don't support BES. My company still buys 9720 for some people who don't want to switch, but mainly samsung devices are being bought. It has to do with roaming data plans.

My question is, why BB10 doesn't support BIS/BES? I thought this was a strong point for BB.

And one more thing. In the future, BlackBerry will stop selling BBOS devices. What are they going to do with their servers? Because the BB10 phones don't use them (I think).

Would it be possible to build a "BBOS runtime"? This way BES, BIS and BBOS apps would still be used in new phones.
    06-16-14 05:50 AM
    I've heard some people in my company, that we no longer buy BlackBerrys because they don't support BES. My company still buys 9720 for some people who don't want to switch, but mainly samsung devices are being bought. It has to do with roaming data plans.

My question is, why BB10 doesn't support BIS/BES? I thought this was a strong point for BB.

And one more thing. In the future, BlackBerry will stop selling BBOS devices. What are they going to do with their servers? Because the BB10 phones don't use them (I think).

Would it be possible to build a "BBOS runtime"? This way BES, BIS and BBOS apps would still be used in new phones.
    BlackBerry and BB10 do support BES. In order to connect BB10 devices to the BES is has to be BES version 10 or higher. It sounds like your company is using BES version 5 and therefore can't support BB10 devices.

BB10 does not use BIS, but will operate on a BIS account. There are many discussions already here about the pros and cons of that so I won't get into it.
    06-16-14 07:16 AM

As stated BB10 does use BES10. But there is no BIS for BB10, some say that was due to carrier request. But here they are still building BBOS devices....

Would it be possible to build a runtime... of course. But not very practical. BES Works (as long as you get a new server and install BES10), BIS for some reason isn't wanted and why use a BBOS app when BB10 apps are so much better?? I do think that the transition from one OS to the other was too drastic! Just another example of a company that isn't in touch with how things are normally done. I'm sure Microsoft would have loved to just kill all support for legacy windows and just started over.... but they understood that starting over mean starting over and just throwing away everything they had built and opening the door for users to look at other platforms. They wisely didn't do that. Yet BlackBerry did just about everything to make the transition from BBOS to BB10 difficult for legacy users....
    06-16-14 07:44 AM