I've had a BlackBerry phone since I got rid of a samsung Ericson phone many years ago, I've never got on with the keyboard devices much hut have loved the touch screen ones.

My wife has a BlackBerry too and we have a PlayBook which we really liked (and still do!) though it's been used less and less with a Lenovo Miix 2 replacing it. The Miix was cheap, is lightweight and slim and works beautifully once you get used to the modern interface. I use the desktop on it for various things with a bluetooth mouse too when needed, though I prefer my Windows Laptop.

My family all have windows phones, which I've never really liked - but to be fair I haven't had one to play with properly so it may be a learning thing - as I've always seen them as more difficult to use than my Z30.

I read both Windows Central and Crackberry daily and enjoy both, but is feels (I've not done any statistical analysis!) like Windows phone is taking off, very slowly, and BlackBerry is stagnating. I've become excited about Windows 10 and like the idea of the universal apps and the new features (though I found W8 pretty good after learning it).

With no sign of a BlackBerry tablet and with the new Intel core M(?) chips appearing in tablets I'm thinking of getting a new Windows 2 in 1 laptop / tablet in the near future. I'm afraid as you get older tablets make reading text easier than phones, so although I really really like my z30, my eyes prefer a tablet!

And if I do get a windows 2 in 1 then we'll then have two windows tablets and a laptop (which is staying! ) and our BlackBerry's. Microsoft apparently are bringing out a flagship phone this year and Windows 10 arrives and I'm seriously tempted to put all my eggs in one basket and switch - all because BlackBerry have no tablet!

Now I know I could try the passport and I've been to selfridges a number of times and spent ages playing with it. But I just cannot get over the waste of space with the physical keyboard. I've hated physical keyboards on previous BlackBerry phones (I know some people love them and that's great, but I do not) and if the passport was a full touch then I'd try it, but it isn't. I've read the talk of a full touch version and I'd give that a go, but if it comes after Microsofts flagship phone, Core m 2 in 1 and windows 10 then it's probably too late and I've already have left BlackBerry.

I'm not a fan boy and appreciate that the various phones have different qualities and I've loved my BlackBerry's over the years, but maybe it's time to move on...?

Posted via CB10
    dolco likes this.
    01-29-15 03:31 AM
    I too, love the way Windows phones work now and they're fast & fluid. Just today I was at a Microsoft store and was playing with the Nokia Lumia 830 and the older 1020 and both phones blew me away - I can't believe of fluid they both were. I just don't know if I can actually use one as a daily phone as the O/S is a lot different from my BB's. At this point, I wouldn't want to say one is better than the other because I haven't used Windows 8.1 enough to be able make that judgement.

I think if I were going to make that switch I would probably and very very likely keep my BB as a main phone and use the Windows phone as a secondary phone and see how it works out. I continuously try doing that with the latest iphones & Androids but end up going back to BB every single time.
    01-29-15 03:53 AM
    There may be an Ubuntu phone this year. As a long time Linux/Ubuntu user I'll be keeping an eye out for this.

Posted via CB10
    PHughes likes this.
    01-29-15 03:59 AM
    Windows Phone looks great, but I like to have a physical keyboard, so I am happy with the Passport for the time being.
    kauffw likes this.
    01-29-15 05:36 AM
    Would Blend on a Surface Pro not be the answer?

Posted via CB10
    Lacker20 likes this.
    01-29-15 07:32 AM
    To be extremely honest, I think windows phones are great.... it'll be the phone I go to if not a BlackBerry.... at the moment probably a Lumia 930... but my Passport is doing alright so i'll stick around abit... LOL!

...Ten BlackBerrys and counting....
    RA-HA likes this.
    01-29-15 07:36 AM
    I was/still am tempted all the time to get an Icon. Beautiful screen, Cortana is the best there is, fast, fluid, all that stuff. I have just found it so difficult to type on any full-touch device and get really frustrated typing out longer emails. Keep coming back to my Q10 for the keyboard and hub. If I hated the keyboard like you, I'd be off to an Icon or Note 4 in an instant. With Denim and Windows 10 coming, it would be fun to try a new Windows phone.

Do keep in mind that not everyone thinks Windows phone is going to make it. In the past week, Chase and Bank of America have said they are pulling support for their Windows Phone apps over the next month. They say not enough users to justify the cost of building and maintaining. Hopefully others don't follow suit. I'd like to see Windows pull closer in the app race.
    01-29-15 07:40 AM
    Would Blend on a Surface Pro not be the answer?

Posted via CB10
    Great thinking! Surface Pro 3 with Blend. Best of both worlds I think!
    p1800nut likes this.
    01-29-15 07:42 AM
    If rumors are true, there will be a new entry level and midrange Windows phone announced at Mobile World Congress, and a new flagship sometime in the first half.

Myself, if I were to make a move, I'd wait for the flagship.

There still is an issue with updates though, especially Verizon. You can get updates through the Phone Preview for Developers, but firmware updates (such as Cyan and Denim) are still restricted. There is another rumor that this might change this year. If this is true, I think it would be a gamechanger for enthusiasts.
    01-29-15 07:53 AM
    I've not used Blend yet, maybe it'll change my mind!

It's interesting how some people are physical keyboarders and some aren't. I type more accurately and faster on my z30 than I can on a proper keyboard. I always tell people I just have to tap at the keyboard randomly and the phone knows exactly what I wanted to type. It really is quite impressive. Mind you, not having used properly any other phones they're all probably like that now!

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 07:58 AM
    Do keep in mind that not everyone thinks Windows phone is going to make it. In the past week, Chase and Bank of America have said they are pulling support for their Windows Phone apps over the next month. They say not enough users to justify the cost of building and maintaining.
    I'm not that bothered by apps, they're nice but not deal breakers for me. And corporate app developers are funny lot. In the UK it always puzzles me why big organisations always seems to have an iPhone app but sometimes don't have an android one when the market share for Android is so big. Or when the first app out is often IPhone followed later by Android. Weird.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 08:06 AM
    Blend allows you the freedom to laptop and tablet although I am not sure blend works on windows tablet. I don't see why not if it has 8.1. But if you are a screen junky, blend gives you the freedom for that and still have your passport to pound stuff out etc.when you want to actually write a half decent and not lol, tks, k,brt...etc
    01-29-15 08:28 AM
    If you are going to be lured away, I would try to be lured away to a platform with apps.
    01-29-15 09:10 AM
    peace out
    01-29-15 09:15 AM
    I've had a BlackBerry phone since I got rid of a samsung Ericson phone many years ago, I've never got on with the keyboard devices much hut have loved the touch screen ones.

My wife has a BlackBerry too and we have a PlayBook which we really liked (and still do!) though it's been used less and less with a Lenovo Miix 2 replacing it. The Miix was cheap, is lightweight and slim and works beautifully once you get used to the modern interface. I use the desktop on it for various things with a bluetooth mouse too when needed, though I prefer my Windows Laptop.

My family all have windows phones, which I've never really liked - but to be fair I haven't had one to play with properly so it may be a learning thing - as I've always seen them as more difficult to use than my Z30.

I read both Windows Central and Crackberry daily and enjoy both, but is feels (I've not done any statistical analysis!) like Windows phone is taking off, very slowly, and BlackBerry is stagnating. I've become excited about Windows 10 and like the idea of the universal apps and the new features (though I found W8 pretty good after learning it).

I'm not a fan boy and appreciate that the various phones have different qualities and I've loved my BlackBerry's over the years, but maybe it's time to move on...?

Posted via CB10
    Windows tablets running full Win8.1 Pro are really great, but I'd stay away from Windows phone. I had a Lumia running WP8.0 for the last two years. Performance and hardware is fine, but WP8 is a locked down operating system, even more so than iOS. There's no proper file system for example. Also, the email/communication is about par with iOS and android and is not as good as the Hub. Overall, it's not really built as a productivity device. For example, if I recall correctly, there was no way to save an attachment to the phone and start working on it. Really, if you're going this route, just get an iPhone.

Windows Phone 10 may be a different story.
    01-29-15 10:00 AM
    I am not sure blend works on windows tablet
    Blend works great on my Surface Pro 3 with both my PP & Z30
    01-29-15 11:24 AM
    If you are going to be lured away, I would try to be lured away to a platform with apps.
    Nope, not for me - The apps available in the Windows store are enough for me. The only other 2 choices I have are IOS & Android and I have an iPhone, iPad, G3, Note 4 & Tab S and don't care for any of these - especially the apps as any apps that I do use are available on the Windows store. I'd rather go to a platform that is fast and fluid and have the core functions to get things done like a BB. I find my IOS devices the least productive for getting things done although for play & media consumption they are great, fast & fluid. My Android devices, especially the Samsung's start off smooth and fluid but after a few hours of use become laggy & constantly stuttering although they do email MUCH better than IOS imo but I don't trust some of the apps in the Playstore.
    edwinsberry likes this.
    01-29-15 11:35 AM
    I also use Blend and it's on a Surface Pro2.

If you used the Bridge in BBOS to your PlayBook, you'll be right at home.

My ebooks are from Kobo so I use the BlackBerry 10 application as well as the Win8 metro app.

My primary use of my Z30 is Email and ... well as a phone, so I'm pleased with performance. I only use the camera for receipts so I don't need the "high end" camera like on a Lumina.

Finally, my primary PC is my Surface Pro2, so it's always with me. MS Office work gets done on the Tablet, not on my phone (well ... in some rare cases yes I'll use Docs to go for minor stuff).

Sent from my Z30 on CB10
    01-29-15 02:11 PM
    My next phone is running Windows 10 on a flagship device, really amazing.

Buying Lumina 1020 with 41MP camera for holiday soon to test the waters

Z10 (red) OS10.2.2.1609 Q5 (red) OS10.3.0.1418
    01-29-15 03:07 PM
    I have my personal Q10 and work issued Nokia 520. That Nokia is a budget low-end phone, but after using it for over a year, I would most definitely get a Windows Phone if I was ever to leave BlackBerry for any reason.

Frosty white Q10/10.3.1.2072
    01-29-15 03:13 PM
    I have a Lumia 1520 as a second device. The short version is if you spend a lot of time in apps, go iPhone. If you're in the Windows ecosystem it's nice to be able to install the same apps on your win8 PC without paying for them again.

If you use the device for work: there isn't anything on the market today that beats BlackBerry.

Pros of my Lumia 1520 are:
    nice Amoled screen for videos and reading kindle
    nice MSN apps for news, finance, sports, travel etc - don't need apps, the UI is very clean and nice to read
    Nice build quality
    Virtual keyboard is actually pretty good, and I'm a die hard BlackBerry keyboard lover
    Speaker is great!
    Reader mode in the browser is nice.
    Don't have to buy apps again on my PC.

Cons:
    Not a productive OS, nothing compared to Blackberry for email.
    Search is a pain to find emails, attachments, documents, contacts etc.
    More apps than BBRY, but not the platform for best selection.
    Browser is slooow compared to Blackberry.
    OS can be buggy: I have had blue screens and had to use recovery tools to debrick. Once every other month or so, just goes haywire and burns the battery down in a few hours, otherwise battery life is on par with my Passport.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 03:52 PM
    I'm not bothered by apps. :-)

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 05:26 PM
    Honestly, I think I'd pass on Windows Phone imo. I find the OS to bland and overly simplified. Not a big fan of the UI either.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 06:45 PM
    I have a Lumia 1520 as a second device. The short version is if you spend a lot of time in apps, go iPhone. If you're in the Windows ecosystem it's nice to be able to install the same apps on your win8 PC without paying for them again.

If you use the device for work: there isn't anything on the market today that beats BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with this. I used a Lumia 928 for a month exclusively a little while back... I only miss two things, the camera and the cool live lock screen.

In just about every way, BB10 is better for work.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 07:09 PM
    When I had to buy a new phone in July last year I was ready to try something different than Android (for several reasons)
    So it was either Blackberry or Windows Phone, since iPhone phones are too expensive (I only wanted to spend $350)
    The choice was either a Z10 or a Nokia 925. I choose the Z10 because of having an SD card slot and because it was almost $100 cheaper.

Now my wife bought a Nokia 630 end of last year which she uses as her second phone. I do play with from time to time but still prefer Blackberry over Windows. The menu system is a bit too simplistic and bland for me, although I do like certain things.

I will keep my Z10 for at least another year. I hope by then Blackberry has released this killer all touchscreen device with a snapdragon 810 or similar. I love my Z10 but I do notice it's processor is really 2011 in some areas.

If not, I might give Android another look or buy my first iPhone.
    01-29-15 08:26 PM
63 123