Is there any way to make my z10 automatically go into bedside mode when charging at certain times?

On my old 9810, bedside mode had a lot of options.
    IE enable indicator, allow calls, go to specific sound profile, only work during certain times etc.

On my Z10 it seems like they went backwards in the features.
    I have to plug in the phone, lock it, unlock it, then swipe down to enable it, OR i have to manually go to the clock, then swipe down.

I also dont see an option to select a specific profile.
    On my 9810 I would allow phone calls in bedside mode, but nothing else. I liked this just in case of an emergency, however the Z10 disables all notifications, so if someone calls while I am sleeping, it wont ring.

Seems like a massive step backwards in the functionality of bedside mode.
    Or am I simply missing something here?
    Snap51 likes this.
    02-19-13 09:48 AM
    If you have been reading crackberry and did a quick simple search, you would see they nerfed the bedside mode big time...
    02-19-13 09:54 AM
    Yeah. BlackBerry failed on that and a bunch of other things... profiles and calender alarms and a few others.
    02-19-13 10:09 AM
    If you have been reading crackberry and did a quick simple search, you would see they nerfed the bedside mode big time...
    I did do a few searches and there was nothing that popped up relevant to BB10.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/search....archid=1525746

Most of the results were related to OS7 not 10.
    02-19-13 10:29 AM
    When you say they "failed", you are assuming they were trying to please you and give you a device that has all the features of your old blackberry with even more features.

But no. That was not their objective. The objective was to produce a totally new device with features that the market wants today.

One of the features most desirable for today's smartphone buyer is simplicity and ease of use. The old blackberries had menu options that scrolled way off the top and bottom of the screen, many of them using words or terms most people found unfamiliar. Lots of people found that surplus of options to be unhelpful at best and many regarded is annoying.

So, by reducing the options down to the most useful ones, the device actually becomes more attractive to more people.

For example the camera settings. I loved that my Torch had about a dozen shooting modes. The z10 has 5. But those 5 are actually the ones I used the most anyway, so I'm happy with the compromise and as you can see with other posts here, it is a great camera.

So we may have to do without some of the extra features but hopefully that will be more than compensated by the overall experience of using the phone. OK, I've said my piece, and am prepared for the onslaught of comments "Why oh why can't I have just this one itsy bitsy extra feature?"

Instead of adding back all the old features here and there, I hope they keep it simple. I really want this device to thrive in the market and this is the way the market is going.

Having said that, BlackBerry seems responsive to the user community. Witness the announcement to restore the outlook usb sync function.

Posted via CB10
    Snap51 likes this.
    02-19-13 10:35 AM
    When you say they "failed", you are assuming they were trying to please you and give you a device that has all the features of your old blackberry with even more features.

But no. That was not their objective. The objective was to produce a totally new device with features that the market wants today.

One of the features most desirable for today's smartphone buyer is simplicity and ease of use. The old blackberries had menu options that scrolled way off the top and bottom of the screen, many of them using words or terms most people found unfamiliar. Lots of people found that surplus of options to be unhelpful at best and many regarded is annoying.

So, by reducing the options down to the most useful ones, the device actually becomes more attractive to more people.

For example the camera settings. I loved that my Torch had about a dozen shooting modes. The z10 has 5. But those 5 are actually the ones I used the most anyway, so I'm happy with the compromise and as you can see with other posts here, it is a great camera.

So we may have to do without some of the extra features but hopefully that will be more than compensated by the overall experience of using the phone. OK, I've said my piece, and am prepared for the onslaught of comments "Why oh why can't I have just this one itsy bitsy extra feature?"

Instead of adding back all the old features here and there, I hope they keep it simple. I really want this device to thrive in the market and this is the way the market is going.

Having said that, BlackBerry seems responsive to the user community. Witness the announcement to restore the outlook usb sync function.

Posted via CB10
    I think with the amount of docks sold for older phones bedside mode should have made the list for sure to the new phone. Hopefully it will come in a future update and the docks come, but to dismiss it as unnecessary is just letting BB off the hook for more things people want that were left off the new op system. In my opinion this phone seems rushed.
    02-19-13 11:23 AM
    Regarding sound profiles.. Is it possible to make everything silent except for phone calls?
    02-19-13 11:39 AM
    Regarding sound profiles.. Is it possible to make everything silent except for phone calls?
    Yes there is a phone only profile, but then the LED stops working in that profile... But no it will not work in bedside mode though. In bedside mode, it's you get NO notification at all.
    02-19-13 12:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    I am fine with making the device simpler to use, but there really isnt any reason that you couldnt have a basic setting and an advanced one.

IE if i want to go deep into those menues as you describe, let me. Otherwise just go with the basic.

Maybe I am one of the few people who want to have my bedside mode work like it did before, but I highly doubt it.

PS, If they had kept the "bedside while charging at X time" that seems simpler to me, because all i have to do is plug it in when i go to bed rather than going though 3-4 steps.
    02-19-13 03:39 PM
    Thanks for your reply. I definitely don't agree of not having an option besides no notifications at all in bedside mode. It definitely wont suit many people. For me though, I rarely use bedside mode.. I just have a custom profile I switch to before bed which is pretty much no notifications (led as well will not blink) except for phone calls but at a low volume. Is the phone ringer adjustable in the "phone only" profile on bb10? If so I will be able to use it like I'm using it now. Though again, not everyone uses it like I do and i truly hope theyre working on filling in some gaps which in my opinion are acceptable for a 1.0 (for sake of getting out to market, though not half-baked like the Playbook. While there are some things missing on the Z10 thus far, I definitely don't get the sense that it's half baked/unfinished) only if they had planned to shortly update with a revised version.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    02-19-13 04:23 PM