Delivery and receipt are the main differentiater for BBM. Without them, there isn't much difference between BBM and SMS from user standpoint.

Posted via CB10
    SMS sends text over the voice network. BBM, well have you read what the BB version does, it's a lot more than SMS right?
    04-29-15 10:38 AM
    Yes... where else would they be displayed??
    Some messaging, like email, sends you the receipt in an extra message.
    04-29-15 10:46 AM
    Some messaging, like email, sends you the receipt in an extra message.
    I get SMS delivery receipts the same way I get BBM receipts (instead of getting a checkmark after sending an SMS, it turns into a little blue D), it's a carrier-dependent function that you can turn on in text message settings from the overflow menu in the Hub.
    04-29-15 10:53 AM
    For me, BBM saves time. Handles attachments better so that the same conversations isnt on sms and email. Also, the most annoying thing about sms is the 'okay' reply. I work in a fast paced sales environment and having to be interrupted by a texter texting me 'okay' is highly frustrating.
    04-29-15 11:51 AM
    Interesting discussion. The only BlackBerry users I know are y'all, so all my communication is through CB; no calling, texting, or using BBM.

I had added two Contacts to BBM when I had my Torch 9800, but neither were BlackBerry users.

Might have to look into BBM again.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.2.500
    04-29-15 09:14 PM
    Regular BBM is still encrypted and decrypted through the NOC. It is still secure.
    SMS is easily hacked and tapped.
    SMS has character limits.
    BBM works on Mobile/Data and wifi
    SMS only works on Voice
    Glympse, sharing files, groups, channels, shop
    Video chat and audio chat are HD and better than normal phone calls.
    SMS is fragmented
    BBM is physically appealing to the eyes more than SMS
    Multi chats
    Retractable and timed messages(subscriptions)
    BBM has integration with many other apps
    Calendar integration
    Music and location integration
    PING!

 Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500 
    and
    - Share your screen with others, live.
    - Use your BBM like a TV webcam, by plugging the device into your TV's HDMI input.
    04-30-15 03:01 AM
    BBM vs SMS

With BBM you don't give the other bbm user your phone number that remains private to you, with bbm you give them the phones PIN it's an exclusive number attached to your phone that never changes you. An change your phone number and keep your PIN. So it's has a certain level of privacy and only allowing those you want on it to use it.

Sharing pictures, music, files is very easy

As was mentioned voice calls which are amazingly clear, video calls which work well for talking to family ala Skype, FaceTime etc.

The aforementioned delivered and read receipt, everyone has an opinion on this but I think it's a good feature that no other app really has, even though they state they do only bbm shows D when it's actually at the recipients phone and R when they have actually read it, other apps like Whatsapp just show the it was sent, one check mark and that it was received, two check marks it does not confirm that the person actually read it.

If you set up groups like I have with my Girlfriend you can have common calendars so that you can organize each others day, this is great for work as well or sports, extracurricular teams I also use for my men's rec league team, in groups you can have lists and assign to people in the group, works great for families, and for work

Glympse that is baked in is fantastic as well if your meeting another bbm user someplace neither of you have gone you just turn on Glympse and it will show the other person where you are on a map and they can find you, since it shows where they are as well, great for meeting at concerts, football games etc, campgrounds

As you can see there are many great things about bbm over sms,

SMS is a basic quick communication tool, BBM is a more richly developed tool that allows collaboration, communication, all over wifi if you so chose

From my Zed30 running OS 10.3.1.2582
    04-30-15 09:50 AM
    Haven't used sms in ages, it's unreliable and expensive in South Africa, BBM and WhatsApp are far better.

Why Blackberry? Because I can!
    yessuz likes this.
    04-30-15 02:25 PM
    I get SMS delivery receipts the same way I get BBM receipts (instead of getting a checkmark after sending an SMS, it turns into a little blue D), it's a carrier-dependent function that you can turn on in text message settings from the overflow menu in the Hub.
    Check mark for SMS is just a confirmation that it left your device and reached carrier's servers. Read receipt for SMS comes as separate message. There is no confirmation if it was read.

On bbm, D means delivered to the device, R means Read by recipient.

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    04-30-15 03:18 PM
    Basic Question: to use BBM with someone else, do they need to have a BB also? If so, that will make the answer to my question easy since I don't know one other person with a BB! Would I have to continue SMS-ing them for texting?

Thank you.
    05-03-15 10:25 AM
    I agree and disagree with the other posts. BBM is the 'better' technology (on paper). But at the end of the day, for me what it comes down to is everyone has SMS and very few people have BBM in comparison. BBM was great in the days before unlimited SMS was the norm. These days, I have unlimited international SMS included in my standard plan. If I want to call someone, I use the phone app not BBM (BUT if I called people internationally on a regular basis I could see why BBM would be useful for this particular use case). BBM is also more secure (but let's be honest, at this point the NSA knows more about me than I do). So basically, I use SMS because everyone I know uses SMS and only a handful of people use BBM but if everyone used BBM, my quality of life might improve (slightly).
    I agree with this. Back in the days when SMS and MMS costs were high, BBM through BIS was incredible. It didn't use data or incur text charges.

Now that unlimited talk and text are commonplace, and BIS is mostly extinct, the need for BBM has greatly diminished.

BBM offers a few remaining advantages:

- International use (uses regular wifi or cell data) without extra fees.
    - Ability to send any file type up to 16MB in size.
    - Video and voice chat over BBM at high quality, no long distance charges.

Z30 / STA100-5 /10.3.1.1784 (no more double-typing Q10).
    05-03-15 10:42 AM
    Basic Question: to use BBM with someone else, do they need to have a BB also? If so, that will make the answer to my question easy since I don't know one other person with a BB! Would I have to continue SMS-ing them for texting?

Thank you.
    No, BBM users no longer need BlackBerry. BBM is available for free for iphones, android, and Windows phones.
    05-03-15 10:49 AM
    I agree with this. Back in the days when SMS and MMS costs were high, BBM through BIS was incredible. It didn't use data or incur text charges.

Now that unlimited talk and text are commonplace, and BIS is mostly extinct, the need for BBM has greatly diminished.

BBM offers a few remaining advantages:

- International use (uses regular wifi or cell data) without extra fees.
    - Ability to send any file type up to 16MB in size.
    - Video and voice chat over BBM at high quality, no long distance charges.

That's bollocks.
    Same as bbm, applies to imessage, viber, watsapp, etc

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    05-03-15 12:17 PM
    That's bollocks.
    Same as bbm, applies to imessage, viber, watsapp, etc

Thanks for coming out, captain fanboi obvious.

05-03-15 12:43 PM
    I'll have to say that BBM is way better than SMS. I was in Whole Foods one day looking for some smoked salt and my wife was messaging me to get an onion. She pushed the call button in BBM and called me. I was on 4G and she was at home where we have a really good WiFi system and the call was clearer than using the regular cell phone signal

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 12:50 PM
    I'll have to say that BBM is way better than SMS. I was in Whole Foods one day looking for some smoked salt and my wife was messaging me to get an onion. She pushed the call button in BBM and called me. I was on 4G and she was at home where we have a really good WiFi system and the call was clearer than using the regular cell phone signal

Posted via CB10
    Do you realize you compared a call to a text message? And sending you a text saying, "grab an onion" would have sufficed?

But we get your point, WiFi calling via BBM is clear...
    05-04-15 01:07 AM
    Thanks for coming out, captain fanboi obvious.

seriously - if BBM is "so not needed" as you say, due to free SMS n sh!t, so why # of whatsapp, BBM, other IM users is growing?

don't see a contradiction here?
    05-04-15 02:35 AM
67 123