Agreed. The world is much bigger than the USA and Canada alone.
    12-11-12 03:04 AM
    Actually, you know what, I just spent the last hour trying to find a reference and I can't. Now I realize I might have misinterpreted something along the way.
    I think I saw the same BBin video that you posted about BBM GROUPS and how there are different pictures and you can comment on them.
    But still, having more than one profile picture would be a good idea on BBM for individual users as well.
    Thanks for having a look. The funny thing is I've since seen a video where they make mention of a similar feature. It's a quick launch album of your previously used BBM profile pictures. It doesn't sound as if it will be accessible/viewable by others - so I'm guessing it's more of a time saving feature.
    12-11-12 07:31 AM
    According to many sources today, asia is expected to overtake the USA and europe it terms of economy.

Maybe BBM is more relevent long term than you might think.
    12-11-12 08:08 AM
    Yes. But all PlayBooks or just ones that have dataplans? That's the question.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    I'd be interested in finding out the answer to this also. Can anyone shed any light on it?

I do hope it is for all Playbooks and I see no obvious reason why it wouldn't. I did however read something that made me question that slightly. Apparently BBIDs will be limited to 1 smartphone and 1 of any other device - so 1 phone and 1 Playbook. I hope this is just for security reasons and not because of a need to have a data plan.
    12-11-12 08:21 AM
    Thanks for having a look. The funny thing is I've since seen a video where they make mention of a similar feature. It's a quick launch album of your previously used BBM profile pictures. It doesn't sound as if it will be accessible/viewable by others - so I'm guessing it's more of a time saving feature.
    Oh I see... I just feel like it would be nicer if others have access to it to flip through the profile pictures.
    I think you're idea of a BBM profile would work really well.

For starters, I can we can start developing things that are a bit simple but expanded into some of the ideas that you provided. I'm not a developer but I thought of an app, where you can gather people's business cards, either take a picture of it or upload your own business cards as an e-version for other people to collect in this app. Just other apps that that are changing your wallet electronically, people still give out business cards (And some of them are quite interestingly designed!). Business cards usually have contact information, workplace contacts and many more. Digitally, this could potentially sync up with Linkedin information and Facebook as well. With further development, these e-business cards can be developed into contact profile information with digitally enhanced design of business cards. This gives you an option of syncing with Linkedin and Facebook or not depending on the original administrator or e-business card owner. The original e-business card owner also has a say if the e-business card (or profile card, whatever you would like to call it now) is allowed to pass on to others.

This would be highly integrated into the contacts app (also Linkedin or Facebook), highly social for local business owners and businessmen in marketing, communications, etc who wants to get their name out into society, and highly beautiful due to the fascination of different design of business cards. Information on these cards are freely given by the card owners not all information is required (as much as the owner feels comfortable)

What do you think?
    12-11-12 10:12 AM
    To add some more, I know that there are apps like "card munch" or "bump" available for other platforms but I think on BB10, The spread of e-business cards through social connected apps would be better. if you're friend needed an accountant and you flip through your e-cards and realize that your friend suggested someone to you, or if you had a mechanic work on your car that you would suggest to someone else, just send the cards around. designing beautiful cards capture people's attention and could provide brilliant advertising even just for people to want to show others the uniqueness of the design (rather than forced marketing). I think this is also the reason that makes infographics so appealing. Integration is also a very important part of this app. It's important to be able to obtain data but also to interact with the data is important too. By providing hyperlinks to Facebook or Linkedin (optional) makes the card neat, clean, concise yet if more information is required, it's there. with BB10's amazing social integration, this could totally substitute for contacts app.
    That being said, people with no official e-business card will be provided with various default card styles provided to keep preserve the beauty of the app.
    I know I stress on only 3 aspects of the app but it's what Alec Saunders talked about when he was promoting the development of BB10 apps.
    Mr_F likes this.
    12-11-12 10:34 AM
    The spread of e-business cards through social connected apps would be better. if you're friend needed an accountant and you flip through your e-cards and realize that your friend suggested someone to you, or if you had a mechanic work on your car that you would suggest to someone else, just send the cards around. designing beautiful cards capture people's attention and could provide brilliant advertising even just for people to want to show others the uniqueness of the design (rather than forced marketing)...By providing hyperlinks to Facebook or Linkedin (optional) makes the card neat, clean, concise yet if more information is required, it's there. with BB10's amazing social integration...That being said, people with no official e-business card will be provided with various default card styles provided to keep preserve the beauty of the app.
    I like the concept. There may be a few issues with one or two or the finer aspects but nothing the tech team at RIM couldn't iron out lol. I can see something like this rolling out beyond the enterprise market (as you alluded to). If RIM did opt for something like 'BBM Profiles' then I think your 'cards' idea would be a fun way to interact within that framework. You could have the option to design a profile card (using a RIM/TAT built app) that would be linked to your BBID - that would then show up in a BBM search or some kind of trending engine (for keywords used in your card). It could contain hyperlinks as you said, or even pictures and/or a video (of yourself/skill/service). In many ways it could be a simpler version of the BBM Profile concept. Almost like a soundbite of who you are. People could then send invites, forward the card or take action based on what they see.

This video came to mind whilst reading your post. I think some TAT magic could definitely make your idea pop. Imagine the profile cards dropping like snowflakes, or comments being added to a card history like is being shown at the start of the video. It could really catch the eye...

12-11-12 05:49 PM
    This video came to mind whilst reading your post. I think some TAT magic could definitely make your idea pop. Imagine the profile cards dropping like snowflakes, or comments being added to a card history like is being shown at the start of the video. It could really catch the eye...
    I saw this video before! I totally want to see this being done especially the info graphics part. Personally, I don;t think video games are the only past times to do on a phone even for younger audiences. The idea of engaging with data interactively creatively breeds creative thinking for the next generation. Just need to get a developer. Or else, it's still just up in the air.
    12-11-12 10:39 PM
    I'm assuming the bulk of those 60 million active users are somewhere other than in the U.S., I know, literally, one person with a Blackberry now and he is only using it until his company gives the go for iOS devices starting early next year. Everyone in my office is either on Android or iOS and just about every mobile e-mail I get at work has the "Sent from my iPhone" signature attached.

I would put BBM way, way behind iMessage and Google Talk here in U.S. in terms of relevance.
    12-12-12 10:51 AM
    imessage sucks period. They tried to copy BBM and failed. For one BBM you can send files, pictures and soon video chat or just plain message for free. I can see delivered and read status You don't need wifi and it doesn't eat up your data plan.How you say imessage is better is beyond me it's not even in the same realm. As for google talk who uses that? Barely anyone does just like the failed google+.

Pretty soon the US won't have to worry about phones because no one will have a job. The economy is in the crapper and no one can afford these phones..
    12-12-12 11:04 AM
    BBM is great when you have other users that use BBM. BBM will only be relevant on the BlackBerry platform and within that ecosystem.

BBM will only become relevant on a global scale again with the masses of people ONLY if hey go multiplatform. When BBM was the king of the hill, there were only BlackBerry devices versus everything else. Today, the arena is very different, there are even more platforms and people are well spread out among them. I keep saying it and I hope someone listens but just on brand power, if BBM went multiplatform, it would take over.
    12-12-12 11:57 AM
    BBM is great when you have other users that use BBM. BBM will only be relevant on the BlackBerry platform and within that ecosystem.

BBM will only become relevant on a global scale again with the masses of people ONLY if hey go multiplatform. When BBM was the king of the hill, there were only BlackBerry devices versus everything else. Today, the arena is very different, there are even more platforms and people are well spread out among them. I keep saying it and I hope someone listens but just on brand power, if BBM went multiplatform, it would take over.
    I believe you have a valid point with this. If nothing else rim would get a lot of bb defectors downloading bbm on their ios and Android phones.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    12-12-12 02:45 PM
    BBM is great when you have other users that use BBM
    I fully agree with this statement - hence my reasoning for suggesting RIM needs to find a way to natively let people connect/search for each other (becoming more of a modern social network in the process). 60+ million BBM users is a substantial user base - but pretty useless whilst unconnected. Imagine if Facebook/Twitter/Instagram had no way to search for family/friends/other users - I doubt they would be as big/popular/useful as they currently are.

It looks like RIM may be acknowledging this with the new developments in BB10 - namely BBM Recommend, and things like the new Facebook app (where you can add/invite someone to BBM from the Facebook app itself).
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    12-12-12 05:14 PM
    If nothing else rim would get a lot of bb defectors downloading bbm on their ios and Android phones.

...Instead of buying BlackBerry phones. So what good would that be to RIM?
    12-12-12 05:22 PM
    ...Instead of buying BlackBerry phones. So what good would that be to RIM?
    Unfortunately you got to realize, no matter how good bb10 os or hardware will be not every past defector will come back because they have time and money invested in their current platform. That goes for possible new adopters. Android and ios are kings for a reason. It's going to take rim a few years to get back to their former glory if any.

So why not have bbm cross platform, more advertising and reasons for more people to give a bb a try once they find out how good bbm is compared to the rest.

Let's face it rim pissed of many with their lackadaisical approach over the last 3 years. They need every tool in their arsenal to get market share back, and if bbm is so great like most rim faithful believe it to be, why not use it.

12-12-12 07:25 PM
    Let's face it rim pissed of many with their lackadaisical approach over the last 3 years. They need every tool in their arsenal to get market share back.

I fully agree with the first part of your statement. RIM does indeed need to use every tool in their arsenal but I do not believe that should include throwing their prized asset to the competition. Doing so is a sure fire way to devalue the allure of BlackBerry handsets in the future. For your average consumer the most obvious advantage of owning a BlackBerry is BBM - I don't think that is too controversial a comment to make. What incentive would there be for that same consumer to go out and buy a BlackBerry handset if they could get an Android or iOS device (with the richer ecosystems that come with those platforms) and still use BBM as and when they pleased? The answer is there would be no incentive.

Sending BBM cross platform also reduces the value proposition of BES and more significantly BIS. There would likely be an expectation for any cross platform BBM app to be a free download - seeing as whatsapp already is. If BBM was available for free on other platforms would current BlackBerry users (that have stayed loyal to the platform) feel hard done by for essentially having to pay (through monthly BIS fees) for something others (who maybe weren't as loyal) would be getting for free? I think we both know the answer to that one. RIM would also have a hard time continuing to command the $1 billion in quarterly service fees from the carriers that they currently do - the same service fees that have arguably kept RIM in the game for this long. BIS without BBM is a much harder sell than BIS with BBM - especially in terms of a tangible benefit to the consumer (or an existing customer). I wouldn't envy a sales rep trying to explain that monthly service charges were comprised solely of increased security, data efficiency and push notifications.

However...

Despite everything that I have just said, I am not completely against BBM going cross platform - but to refer back to the OP I'd only see the sense in it if it wasn't RIM's prized asset (in the eyes of many). If there was something elevated to a status higher than BBM (say BBM Profile instead of just BBM chat) then I would be fine with the chat element going cross platform. The way I see it, you wouldn't let your only award winning chef go and cook in the kitchen of a rival restaurant - so why would RIM let their key asset go to Android or iOS? The answer is - they wouldn't, or at least shouldn't.

RIM keeping BBM exclusive to the BlackBerry ecosystem is a bet on the future success of BB10. If BB10 catches public interest then BBM will once again be a key influencing factor in the average buying decision. Allowing it to go cross-platform (as things currently stand) just allows people to have their cake and eat it too.
    12-13-12 07:49 PM
    You make a valid point, it really is a catch. They are kind of dammed if they do dammed if they don't scenario. In the end i wish Rim all the best as i want them to survive and become great competition in the mobile world.

12-13-12 09:45 PM

I would put BBM way, way behind iMessage and Google Talk here in U.S. in terms of relevance.
    Relevance..yes..

functionality..**** NO!

Not personally directing this at your post..however im sick of people comparing imessage to BBM..there nothing alike..

imessage has no profile pics, status updates, simple R and D notifications..

imessage is nothing more than a free text service iphone-iphone..BBM is so much more..

and hopefully with BB10, more people can utilize the communication functionality of the service
    12-14-12 08:49 PM
68 123