How does finding a friend on BBM work? Is it similar to imessage or is it like the legacy OS's BBM where it's a pin and therefore a pain in the ***.
    02-04-13 01:57 PM
    Since it's tied in with BBID...if a contact in your book has their email associated with a BBID...you can invited right from their Contact page.
    02-04-13 02:10 PM
    So still treated as separate then?? Not automatic?
    02-04-13 02:12 PM
    Yes its separate. Why would I want everyone in my contact list to keep on messaging me ? One of the biggest disadvantage of iMessage and Whatsapp is this. Anyone who has your number can send you message. With different BBM pin you can add people you want and leave the rest. Don't have to go through the hassle of blocking people.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    02-04-13 02:22 PM
    Yes its separate. Why would I want everyone in my contact list to keep on messaging me ? One of the biggest disadvantage of iMessage and Whatsapp is this. Anyone who has your number can send you message. With different BBM pin you can add people you want and leave the rest. Don't have to go through the hassle of blocking people.
    +100. I miss this
    02-04-13 02:25 PM
    Yes...you have to initiate the invite and the other user has to accept before you can talk over BBM.

BlackBerry wanted to make it easy, but non-intrusive.
    02-04-13 02:25 PM
    I also like the fact that I can add someone and not have to give them my phone number. Once I delete them, unless they wrote down my pin somewhere, they have no way of contacting me and that is a great feature, in my opinion.
    02-04-13 02:31 PM
    Just absolutely stupid. How is that intrusive. BBM is the best part of BBs and so you make people go through an EXTRA step to use it? Who cares if someone messages you over bbm? This is what confuses me.
    02-04-13 02:31 PM
    I also like the fact that I can add someone and not have to give them my phone number. Once I delete them, unless they wrote down my pin somewhere, they have no way of contacting me and that is a great feature, in my opinion.

It's also by email. how about the option to turn it on and off?
    02-04-13 02:32 PM
    Just absolutely stupid. How is that intrusive. BBM is the best part of BBs and so you make people go through an EXTRA step to use it? Who cares if someone messages you over bbm? This is what confuses me.
    Well let's see. I can have business contacts or those that I deal with strictly via email and phone calls, that I may not want to be seeing what it is I have posted as my status, or if I choose to put up a non professional pic. It allows you to keep who you want, where you want. I have crap loads of contacts on Linkedin, for example, but I don't really "know" many of them so don't want them being added to my BBM. I can pick and choose who I want added. It takes 2 seconds anyway. Not really a hassle.
    02-04-13 02:36 PM
    It's also by email. how about the option to turn it on and off?
    I have a few BBM contacts that I just happened to "meet" out and about. The only contact info they have is my BBM and I like it that way.

EDIT - I don't think I addressed your question so sorry about that... They can know that I have BBM, and I can see that they do as well, but it doesn't neccessarily mean that either of us really wants to have that sort of contact. We have a choice.
    02-04-13 02:37 PM
    I don't have my email address listed on my BBM contact profile also if anyone has your email they will have to invite you first.
    You are forgetting that WhatsApp is in deep trouble because of this, as they allow sharing of phone number, use contact list phone numbers to contact you. A very big privacy concern.
    I don't know how hard is it for you to just go and invite if your contacts have BBM.
    02-04-13 02:45 PM