Anybody out there familiar with VST? The plugins are used in DAWs (digital audio workstations) or audio recording software. There are free ones that allow tweaking/mastering of sound. I think it would be great if support was built in so that we could a)record with them b)use them during regular music playback in the native music player.

these are free ones: The 27 best free VST plug-ins in the world today | MusicRadar

Obviously not all are appropriate in every case but sometimes I load some up and its fun changing things up a bit. At the link above #20 and #26 would be something to use while listening to MP3s/FLAC. The SDK is free so it would be interesting to see what people come up with too.

What do you guys think?
    12-22-12 11:29 AM
    To use VST's we'd need

1. a standardized mechanism to load/access VST code from developer X into an app by developer Y
    2. apps that support that standardized mechanism

It's a bit of a chicken-egg situation.

Technically, the Invoke Framework in BB10 would be a prime candidate for this, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be suitable for low-latency audio. Probably a shared library (.so) solution would be best. But first somebody needs to design a viable standard, and developers need to get on board.
    12-22-12 09:06 PM
    Would be so beast to compose a beat on the go. Would love to see this?
    12-23-12 09:09 AM
    Dont think theirs any BB product powerful enough to handle proper DAW work not to the way me and my boys record at least.Logic still needs more ram on my boys mac, and macbook to stop crashing and handle the workload.

Unless RIM create a powerful tabtop in future that can run a powerrful DAW this wont be intresting for me.Sure It would'nt be bad to have something on the playbook that could create melodys,hooks,voice record be it at low level.Would be intresting to know if BB10 could port over windows programs.

Im actually surprised that no one has took note of Apple buying logic and sticking it into its ecosystem.HP,MS should of just buy avid protools or ableton ,sonar or something.
    12-23-12 10:43 AM
    Would be so beast to compose a beat on the go. Would love to see this?
    Well the playbook has Caustic 2 which is a pretty decent sequencer. I'm assuming it will work on BB10 as well
    12-23-12 12:17 PM
    I wish manufacturers would make Audio/MIDI interfaces (like the IK iRIg, or the Alesis IODock) for the PlayBook. It would be nice if RIM would add features like Audiobus too.
    anon(4018671) likes this.
    12-24-12 01:50 AM
    To use VST's we'd need

1. a standardized mechanism to load/access VST code from developer X into an app by developer Y
    2. apps that support that standardized mechanism

It's a bit of a chicken-egg situation.

Technically, the Invoke Framework in BB10 would be a prime candidate for this, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be suitable for low-latency audio. Probably a shared library (.so) solution would be best. But first somebody needs to design a viable standard, and developers need to get on board.
    The solution that comes to mind is the Jack Audio Connection Kit: JACK-AUDIO-CONNECTION-KIT: JACK Audio Connection Kit The easiest solution would be to port it and run the server but RIM doesn't allow background services/servers atm correct? It would seem to work nice the way you mention the Invocation Framework. It could open a card that had the controls/plugin being connected to the app through Jack.
    I'm also curious on latency using QNX and JACK since I've never been really happy with Linux real time performance.
    12-24-12 07:10 AM
    Well the playbook has Caustic 2 which is a pretty decent sequencer. I'm assuming it will work on BB10 as well
    Had no idea such thing existed. Thanks for that man
    12-25-12 08:37 AM