I know there is an older thread on a similar topic, but being as the phones are now available, one of my coworkers brought up this question to me and I'm seeking some help/advice/answers: What can we do on the BB10 phones that we can't already do on our current BB phones?

I don't have a Z10 yet, but I have been told the company is going to get me one to test out and see if we should get more for other users. I really struggled with his question because the main things most of our users do, already work great on the BB's we already have. They can send/receive email, make phone calls, send text and BBM messages, and they are very durable. Most of our phones are the Bold 9650's and we are running BESX 5. We are in the construction business and they are very durable phones. I'm in the office all the time, so the durability is not as much of a factor for me.

The only things I could really come up with were the BBM video and screen sharing, the 4G speeds, a better camera and better battery life. Other than that, why should we spend $200 each on new phones? We would need at least 7 and then if we wanted to continue to use BES, I have to install BES10 and pay an additional $100 per device to use it. For a small business, it doesn't seem to make much sense. We bought 10 Playbooks (we've had some people leave) with the intention that we could make use of those in the field using BBM video, opening large PDF drawings so we don't have to carry large sets around the job site, and have been looking for apps that would benefit our superintendents on site with multiple tasks. However, it doesn't work very well for those tasks (BBM Video only works over WiFi, large PDF files are terribly slow on the PB, and we have found very few apps that are helpful to field personnel) and I have been scrutinized for buying all these tablets that sit on most everybody's desk most of the time. Mine doesn't, but I'm the IT guy, and love my tech gadgets. I'm not blaming Blackberry here, but my anticipation of what it would be able do was higher than what it could actually do.

So, does anyone have anything else to add to the minuscule list of why we should all go to the BB10 phones in my office?

Anyhow, I'm excited to get the Z10 and hopefully someone can help me convince some of the others that they should switch too...or they can stay in the pre-BB10 age...I really don't care, but I thought that's a pretty valid question. I would have a hard time suggesting they buy a bunch of these when they already one that does the job, and pretty well.
    04-12-13 05:58 PM
    The only significant advantages I have found to the Z10 after a few days are these:

1) The browser is significantly faster and is usable, which is good since a few of the apps I relied on with the Bold are not available with BB10 and I am forced to use the websites.

2) The Z10 will actually open PDF's and word documents in a readable/usable format - I can finally look at documents that people send me rather than asking " what does it say?"

Apart from that - no advantages that I can see. Significantly reduced battery life and it definitely feels more "fragile"
    04-12-13 06:38 PM
    If oyu are being eyed for the playbook investment you might want to grab one z10 and then a q10 test them both and see if the team has preferences towards Z vs. Q. In terms of why bbOSX and the new hardware:
    Pluses:
    Screen resolution 1280 X 720 or 720 X 720
    Great processor
    Very fast UI - hub & flow are real enhancements (some folks claim a learning curve - kind of hard to believe but reported)
    Phenomenally superior browser to bbOS7
    Some nice new app development going on
    Sideloaded apps help fill in some missing apps - some not so well
    Minuses:
    OS is still a little buggy - VZW is behind on releases - so carrier support could be an issue for a little while
    Currently a 30 Day limit on email
    Check your legacy apps and see if they intend to support or have bbOS10 versions if they are business critical
    Sideloaded android app engine is still 2.X not yet JellyBean - don't expect much to work or work as they would on Android
    A lot of the really highly optimized features from OS7 have not been baked into os10 yet, some might not make it ever

I was testing the Z10 for a month and i really like the phone, dropping back to 9930 i think the only thing i truly miss is the screen rez, browser, Hub & Flow UI, but there is nothing in my day-to-day i can't do on my 9930 and i love the real keyboard despite BBRY doing an excellent job on the soft keyboard, I will get the Q10 as soon as it's available, hopefully with a bbOS release that provides for longer email retention on the device, a few less bugs and little more polish on the OS.
    04-12-13 06:49 PM
    I'm not sure I would recommend any full touch device for construction workers. They just aren't as durable by nature. I used to toss my curve around but I baby my Z10. It feels wonderful and solid - but still more fragile than my curve. I think the Q10 would be a better bet.

As for the playbooks - were you using just the stock adobe for pdfs? Pdf reader seems to open them quite quickly and I never noticed any lag with it. Also - the adobe Reader got an upgrade on the Z10 which might come to the PlayBook too. If you drop a line to rotorwrench on these forums I believe his company uses playbooks extensively in the field and they are very happy with them.

For myself the whole flow is just better with the Z10, the integration and the way everything works together is a joy. Dropbox being a part of the file manager is awesome. i have great battery life - but battery on the Q10 will be even better. The browser is much better than previous Blackberry's and I don't have to do a battery pull everyday, or ever.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 11:32 PM
    Thanks for the info. I have the Z10 coming now. Hopefully it will be here on Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm pretty sure that I will like the device just fine. I think trying the Q10 is a good idea, although it will still be touch screen, so I'm not sure how well that will work out yet.

Maybe I need to educate the field guys a little better about how they can use the Playbook better. I take for granted the fact that I just know how to use this stuff, and they don't. I just may lookup rotorwrench and shoot him a PM.

Thanks!
    04-14-13 07:26 PM
    I'm the only one in my office that has one. Colleagues are BlackBerry users but they are not upgrading from BlackBerry 6/7 devices until email is available. My company is taking forever to upgrade to new BES server.

Really frustrated using Good for enterprise on my iPod touch, slow and half the time it doesn't sync with the server.

BlackBerry is still the way to go for enterprise email!

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 09:50 AM
    As work only devices, I believe the pre-BB10 devices are still better at this point. The benefits of bridging the PlayBook with pre-BB10 devices outweighs the advantages of being early adapters of BB10. With your type of company and the number of devices your company has deployed, it may not make much financial sense to get the Z10. I suggest to wait until the PlayBook is updated to BB10, Q10 is rolled out, and the full BES10 MDM solution is rolled out in May / June to gauge whether or not it is worth a company of your size to move up. I think for most work only devices, there is no immediate need to go into BB10 right away. BBOS7 is still a great and durable communications device with the benefits to pairing it with a PlayBook.
    04-15-13 10:48 AM