Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By digtech
  • 1 Post By darkehawke
  • 1 Post By RECOOL
  • 1 Post By darkehawke
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Bb10 ui + tat

I love the framework for the BB10 OS thus far, however I feel it could use more jazz. Do you guys feel what we see now will be 90% final? or will we see a even more polished OS on launch day?. With Rim acquiring TAT I hope they have a lot more UI magic to show us
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AE49F77

I've been saying that for a while....I just hope it is true.
    Q 10 for the win!
    (WHITE Z 10, on 10.2.1.537 and Nexus 4, both sold)
    pebble watch
    Playbook 64 gb wifi
    Galaxy tab P 1000 with cyanagen 9
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts

Two more days people.... Two more days... This thread is (forgive me) pointless. There have been many discussions on this topic. If we get more from TAT awesome, if we don't then we dont. But cheers to TAT for the cascades framework. That in itself is all the magic BB10 really needs.
    jesse_h likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,379 Global Posts

Default Bb10 ui + tat

if rim were hoping to compete in the consumer market then I would say yeah they would definitely be adding more polish as it is very bland atm.

but with all the hints about their strategy focusing on enterprise more, i am not so sure. from a business point of view the ui is fine the way it is.

we'll find out soon anyway

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    Primary Device: Moto X
    Backup Device: Blackberry Z10
    dynot likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,496 Global Posts

lol what UI does'nt look bland?? its text and background colours you can always read manga,comics you want cool art.Seriously every UI is boring if you want rainbow colours you on the wrong brand.Additionally unless you have a dev device you wont see the rich colours we are just seeing screenshots and video's its all different when its in your hand.

Things that look cool at first are only cool for 5 minutes.This is a tool first the magic is in cascades.This looks very pc'ish to me Im sure when themes become available you can look for non dull skins.2 days that is all.
    peter9477 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts

I think TAT's work was more to build cascades so that developers could use it to build the prettiest applications possible

how much of it is worked into the core OS...we'll see on Wednesday.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,379 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RECOOL View Post
    lol what UI does'nt look bland?? its text and background colours you can always read manga,comics you want cool art.Seriously every UI is boring if you want rainbow colours you on the wrong brand.Additionally unless you have a dev device you wont see the rich colours we are just seeing screenshots and video's its all different when its in your hand.

Things that look cool at first are only cool for 5 minutes.This is a tool first the magic is in cascades.This looks very pc'ish to me Im sure when themes become available you can look for non dull skins.2 days that is all.
    i meant the lack of little touches such as animations in between transitions etc.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by RECOOL View Post
    lol what UI does'nt look bland??
    So you're saying that it's okay to match the competition and there's no need to oe-up them? That's what separates the leaders from the followers.

From a practicle, functioning point of view based on what we've seen of the OS it certainly looks like they innovated and improved on competing OSes out there. It wouldn't have taken much to extend that to the UI. You have to admit they fell short. Let's hope this changes when they unveil the full monty on Wednesday.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    715 Global Posts

Not everything that is designed well has to jump out at you but it could be when you see a subtle mic icon and go "wow" that looks great and I think think that TAT has done a great job of that. You have to remember that RIM probably wanted them to keep it a little safe as well since they have a lot of business clients that orobably would not want all of that "jazz" and that is the problem that I see with WP8. It just seems to consumer focused for enterprises and too me (don't get upset) a little childish. So anyway I think tat has done a great job on the UI of BB10.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    715 Global Posts

As well it seems like they can not do any good because if the UI was too different then people would be complaining and now people are complaining that it is too plain.
    CrackBerry Genius

Was expecting a BB10 tattoo/
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    566 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darkehawke View Post
    i meant the lack of little touches such as animations in between transitions etc.
    Well there are some. The way the voice assistant glides away when finished, the way files are "shredded" in print to go, the slide between app screens, etc. Considering there is not much that we have seen in terms of a final complete version of the OS, there are glimpses.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,063 Global Posts

There are a million little touches that you would never notice --- like the subtle 3D effects of the Playbook's photo app. There is a subtle 3D effect when you swipe left or right to see all your app icons in BB10 --- not even iOS has that 3D effect.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,379 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    There are a million little touches that you would never notice --- like the subtle 3D effects of the Playbook's photo app. There is a subtle 3D effect when you swipe left or right to see all your app icons in BB10 --- not even iOS has that 3D effect.
    i have noticed them, the last one is a great example. but it is hardly one of millions, i fear it is one of few so far.
    i hope to see more of these in the final software, which i am very much aware is still to be revealed
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,856 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications

Default Bb10 ui + tat

Ten point one folks ..10.1

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,666 Global Posts
    PIN
    333BCCA7

TAT has shown a bunch of cool concepts for "bland" apps. I stopped watching their demos because it just got frustrating never seeing something put in production. Examples like the music app, the contacts app, the photos app. All of those had "wow" to them that would get attention at a launch and not detract from the usefulness or practical nature of the app. Business people would not use a media app because it had a cool 3D effect carousel to it, or because contacts actually looked like a rolodex. Hopefully there'll be something there on Wednesday. My fear though is that the vast majority of TAT founders left because their creativity was crushed under RIM.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    27FD02F9

Quote Originally Posted by digtech View Post
    Two more days people.... Two more days... This thread is (forgive me) pointless. There have been many discussions on this topic. If we get more from TAT awesome, if we don't then we dont. But cheers to TAT for the cascades framework. That in itself is all the magic BB10 really needs.
    Also adding lots of "jazz" to a UI experience doesn't necessarily make it a better one. If you want a customizable framework with a few rules to follow you can't exactly add things in there that don't add to the experience.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,379 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D.Vader View Post
    Also adding lots of "jazz" to a UI experience doesn't necessarily make it a better one. If you want a customizable framework with a few rules to follow you can't exactly add things in there that don't add to the experience.
    thats true, but the issue is, BB10 isnt the only great os out there. Jazz helps pull it apart from the crowd
    jonty12 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,666 Global Posts
    PIN
    333BCCA7

thats true, but the issue is, BB10 isnt the only great os out there. Jazz helps pull it apart from the crowd
    Yes, jazz certainly doesn't hurt though, all things being equal.
    CrackBerry Abuser

To keep both crowds happy, they could put an OS/App setting to turn jazz ON or OFF. I think I would only turn on jazz when demoing it to others and keep it turned off at other times Probably eats some more battery to leave jazz ON all the time.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,063 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonty12 View Post
    TAT has shown a bunch of cool concepts for "bland" apps. I stopped watching their demos because it just got frustrating never seeing something put in production. Examples like the music app, the contacts app, the photos app. All of those had "wow" to them that would get attention at a launch and not detract from the usefulness or practical nature of the app. Business people would not use a media app because it had a cool 3D effect carousel to it, or because contacts actually looked like a rolodex. Hopefully there'll be something there on Wednesday. My fear though is that the vast majority of TAT founders left because their creativity was crushed under RIM.
    They were never meant to be implemented in real life --- because while they are cool to look at for the first 30 seconds, you would want to throw it out after using it for 24 hours. What is the point of tracking your email with a bunch of squiggly lines?

TAT's PAYING customers NEVER wanted those idiotic futuristic UI's that don't work in real life --- just looked at the original Android UI that TAT developed. I remember TAT's website used to boost that they designed hundreds of millions of cell phone UI's --- guess how many are those futuristic looking ones that you see on their videos? NONE.