I will try to reply to this later today when I have more time.
    05-21-13 02:59 PM
    Just to add a bit more further info, I tried the BB Email Account Validation Tool (EAVT)
    https://consumersupport.webapps.blac....php?page=form
    and the NS account failed all validations.
    05-25-13 12:34 AM
    Now the way I understand your original post, because NS is POP based it is anitquated and is no longer supported. I understand that it was being "pushed" from BB, and there could be other/ additional reasons, but all I know is NS and OS10 don't/ can't work together (as of today), and I've researched it and find it to be a common problem. Their (NS) response was it was a BB problem and they're aware of it, and there's a fix coming (from BB). Reading your original post, I don't believe that to be the case, and it's actually an NS POP based email problem. I tried to "upgrade" (to lMAP?) but for whatever reason, that upgrade was not a solution to the problem.

POP3 is still supported by Blackberry 10. I have 2 POP3 accounts that I have setup on my device that I retrieve emails from every day, and send as well.

The issue had to do with certain OS builds and certain types of email servers, the Blackberry devices were malformatting messages and the result was that sending sometimes failed because the email servers were rejecting the outgoing messages as being "spam" or some other disallowed traffic due to that. That has been corrected for most carriers on modern releases of the OS. One glaring exception to that is Verizon in the USA, which has not released a BB10 OS update for their devices for nearly 2 months now. See below:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rsions-779341/

While I appreciate the suggested workarounds, I deal with sensitive, proprietary and personal information in my business, so I am not comfortable with running it through 3rd parties just for the purpose of pushing. BB did it and I am ok with that as it was a "paid" service in a round about way, but I like to limit the parties that I am granting permission to with the information flowing through them. The Outlook.com "boilerplate" service and privacy agreements are extremely cumbersome and don't give me comfort. (gmail is similar.) I can only think that the free service is offered in exchange for data mining, but either way for me, a "paid" service becomes essentially a "subcontractor", and I can explain that to clientelle in regards to liability, whereas a "free" service just isn't legally equal.

I totally understand that (especially in regards to Gmail), as long as you understand that you have to have faith in Network Solutions not to snoop on your email traffic, or poorly manage their systems in some way that allows them to be breached, potentially compromising your data. Also, email traffic typically traverses the Internet in unencrypted form from one email system to another. The only way to ensure security is to encrypt the messages on the client before transmittal using something like S/MIME or PGP. I do generally agree that one cannot reasonably expect bulletproof commercial service from "freebie" services, as a general rule.

If you have or know of a list of hosting companies that are seamlessly working with OS10 in the above capacity I'd love to have it. Obviously, it would give me negotiating power with NS, but barring that fix I'll just move.

One company that seems reputable and is the only hosting company I am aware-of that already has full support for Blackberry OS 10 (including the most secure option BES, or Blackberry Enterprise Server") is ExchangeMyMail.com. They are based in New York. They host Microsoft Exchange email services, which are vastly more sophisticated than a POP3 system.
    05-25-13 01:45 AM
    Just to add a bit more further info, I tried the BB Email Account Validation Tool (EAVT)
    https://consumersupport.webapps.blac....php?page=form
    and the NS account failed all validations.
    That would suggest that your login credentials are not correct, or perhaps you have a hostname wrong or something?
    05-25-13 01:52 AM
    That would suggest that your login credentials are not correct, or perhaps you have a hostname wrong or something?
    I know, right? One would think that... I have my passwords in a txt doc and have been trying this for days now. I literally copy and paste the same password into the "webmail" login that works, and then to the EAVT, which doesn't validate. The difference i do note in the EAVT is the servers come up:
    pop3.mydomain.com
    imap.mydomain.com
    etc.
    whereas, my NS account specifies mail.mydomain.com

the closest on EAVT is :
    mail.mydomain.com.netsolmain.net
    but that doesn't validate either.
    I've tried this (on the BB side) with the latest 10.1.0.273 release from the carrier, and also with the 10.1.0.2342.
    I can login fine on the BB with webmail, but that is a tedious solution. I'll gladly give you your own address for your own testing, say [email protected]? You can have it for as long as I have the domain, with say, 10 gigs.
    I do appreciate the help very much, just let me know.
    05-25-13 07:49 AM
    I totally understand that (especially in regards to Gmail), as long as you understand that you have to have faith in Network Solutions not to snoop on your email traffic, or poorly manage their systems in some way that allows them to be breached, potentially compromising your data. Also, email traffic typically traverses the Internet in unencrypted form from one email system to another. The only way to ensure security is to encrypt the messages on the client before transmittal using something like S/MIME or PGP. I do generally agree that one cannot reasonably expect bulletproof commercial service from "freebie" services, as a general rule.
    Yeah, I get that, but at the end of the day NS, as a "paid service" owes me (and my clientelle) a duty of care that a free service is just not subject to.
    If there was a breach, (let's say) my client sues me, I would in turn co-name my provider. Trying to pass that on to something like "gmail" would be an exercise in futility for the simple reason that their duty of care is non-existent. They are essentially a "volunteer", and as such, we can complain about that just as much as a kid who cuts our lawn for free, with his own lawnmower, and brings his own gas, and then try to hold him liable because the grass wasn't cut right, and/ or he "sold the clippings".
    It just wouldn't hold up, at least not until the entire neighbourhood got involved, and even then...
    If I become aware of, as you say, (loosely quoted) NS's potentially "poorly managed systems", then I also owe my clientelle a duty of care to investigate that and satisfy myself that at the very least, action is being taken, though I think that it's understood generally in the real world that nothing is "inpenetrable", there are just varying degrees of resistance to it.
    05-25-13 08:20 AM
    I know, right? One would think that... I have my passwords in a txt doc and have been trying this for days now. I literally copy and paste the same password into the "webmail" login that works, and then to the EAVT, which doesn't validate. The difference i do note in the EAVT is the servers come up:
    pop3.mydomain.com
    imap.mydomain.com
    etc.
    whereas, my NS account specifies mail.mydomain.com

You need to use what your provider specifies. I am NOT a fan of things trying to "guess" everything. Too many times it "guesses" wrong. Can you not manually change the hostname in the EAVT tool?

I can login fine on the BB with webmail, but that is a tedious solution. I'll gladly give you your own address for your own testing, say [email protected]? You can have it for as long as I have the domain, with say, 10 gigs.
    I do appreciate the help very much, just let me know.

If you want to send me a temporary credential to test with, you can PM it to me. I've done testing for people here that way before.

Yeah, I get that, but at the end of the day NS, as a "paid service" owes me (and my clientelle) a duty of care that a free service is just not subject to.
    If there was a breach, (let's say) my client sues me, I would in turn co-name my provider. Trying to pass that on to something like "gmail" would be an exercise in futility for the simple reason that their duty of care is non-existent. They are essentially a "volunteer", and as such, we can complain about that just as much as a kid who cuts our lawn for free, with his own lawnmower, and brings his own gas, and then try to hold him liable because the grass wasn't cut right, and/ or he "sold the clippings".
    It just wouldn't hold up, at least not until the entire neighbourhood got involved, and even then...
    If I become aware of, as you say, (loosely quoted) NS's potentially "poorly managed systems", then I also owe my clientelle a duty of care to investigate that and satisfy myself that at the very least, action is being taken.
    Nothing is "inpenetrable", there are just varying degrees of resistance to it.

You're preaching to the choir there, trust me. I run networks and email systems for a living.

I think the important thing for people to realize - and most people haven't had it explained to them this way - is that "free" services are not "free". There's a kind of cultural brainwashing that leads people to be enamored of getting "free stuff", whatever that might be.

But in reality, especially in the I.T./Internet services world, if you're not PAYING for the service in question you're not actually the customer. You are the PRODUCT. You are being used to look at ads, to click on ads, to generate content which is used to sell their services or is being sold as statistical metrics to companies that model the behavior of people like yourself in order to perfect their ability to sell people like you more stuff. It makes perfect sense if you think about it. As I often like to quote: TANSTAAFL.
    05-25-13 08:33 AM
    I would like to know why the sync of deleted and read/unread messages is so slow, min 15 minutes, I'm used to that happening instantly ever since I bought my first BB in 2008.
    05-25-13 08:46 AM
    I also have a work NS (Network Solutions) POP account that I need on my Z10 and this is how I got it to work.

Click the "+ Add Account" button on the Account Settings Page
    Select "Email, Calendar and Contacts"
    Enter the email address
    Double Finger swipe down to close the keyboard
    Click the "Advanced" button at the bottom of the screen
    Select POP

The following metrics need to be entered

* Description
    * User Name (email address)
    * Email Address
    * Password
    * Server Address (mail.your domain name here.com)
    * Turn "Use SSL" Off
    * Port 110
    * SMTP User Name (email address)
    * SMTP Password (same as email password)
    * SMPT Server Address (smpt.your domain name here.com)
    * SMPT Encryption Off
    * SMTP Port (2525)

Hopefully this will also work for the Q10 and Q5 devices.
    05-25-13 09:20 AM
    I also have a work NS (Network Solutions) POP account that I need on my Z10 and this is how I got it to work.
    [...]
    * Turn "Use SSL" Off
    * SMPT Encryption Off

I hope you are not forced to set up the Network Solutions accounts with encryption disabled, because in general that's not a very good practice, especially for anyone who values the security of their data.

It's not quite as bad if you are using your mobile carrier's email servers, because the unencrypted traffic is not traversing the Internet, it stays on their network. But it's still not a great practice.
    05-25-13 04:31 PM
    You need to use what your provider specifies. I am NOT a fan of things trying to "guess" everything. Too many times it "guesses" wrong. Can you not manually change the hostname in the EAVT tool?
    If you want to send me a temporary credential to test with, you can PM it to me. I've done testing for people here that way before.
    You're preaching to the choir there, trust me. I run networks and email systems for a living.
    I think the important thing for people to realize - and most people haven't had it explained to them this way - is that "free" services are not "free". There's a kind of cultural brainwashing that leads people to be enamored of getting "free stuff", whatever that might be.

But in reality, especially in the I.T./Internet services world, if you're not PAYING for the service in question you're not actually the customer. You are the PRODUCT. You are being used to look at ads, to click on ads, to generate content which is used to sell their services or is being sold as statistical metrics to companies that model the behavior of people like yourself in order to perfect their ability to sell people like you more stuff. It makes perfect sense if you think about it. As I often like to quote: TANSTAAFL.
    Yep, we're definately on the same page here. It's a "harvesting" operation.
    Couldn't see where you would be able to change host protocol in the EAVT tool, though they do give many options via tabs. I've tried it all different ways. Thanks again and PM sent.
    05-26-13 02:43 AM

Click the "+ Add Account" button on the Account Settings Page
    Select "Email, Calendar and Contacts"
    Enter the email address
    Double Finger swipe down to close the keyboard
    Click the "Advanced" button at the bottom of the screen
    Select POP

The following metrics need to be entered

* Description
    * User Name (email address)
    * Email Address
    * Password
    * Server Address (mail.your domain name here.com)
    * Turn "Use SSL" Off
    * Port 110
    * SMTP User Name (email address)
    * SMTP Password (same as email password)
    * SMPT Server Address (smpt.your domain name here.com)
    * SMPT Encryption Off
    * SMTP Port (2525)

Hopefully this will also work for the Q10 and Q5 devices.
    Thanks, but not working for me and I've tried these settings also. I've tried wifi on and off, different Q10 os's, newly created fresh NS accounts, the EAVT tool and changing the IMAP settings in NS's email preferences to include both SSL and non-SSL (non-SSL is the default.).
    05-26-13 02:56 AM
    Hi, I recently transferred a company who was hosting with NS to Future Hosting onto a VPS, the Linux boxes offer CPanel with Exim and it plays nice with BlackBerry fastmail is supported, and uses Push, with horde and extensions installed it will emulate horde, once you purchase the right SSL cert, you will have encrypted mail, and you can select your favorite ports.

Posted via CB10
    Formspace likes this.
    05-26-13 08:34 AM
    I have a BB Q10 and I have used POP and IMAP accounts for my emails and when I delete them off my BB10 it also
    deletes them off my server. This is so annoying that I have stopped using the BB10 for emails.
    WHEN ARE BLACKBERRY GOING TO SORT THIS PROBLEM.
    07-07-13 01:45 AM
    I have a BB Q10 and I have used POP and IMAP accounts for my emails and when I delete them off my BB10 it also
    deletes them off my server. This is so annoying that I have stopped using the BB10 for emails.
    WHEN ARE BLACKBERRY GOING TO SORT THIS PROBLEM.
    Isn't this the result of using POP and IMAP? That is how every other phone has been doing it. Without BIS, this option is gone. I miss it sometimes too but I would rather have EAS as an option which BB10 now has. It works very well.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 09:07 AM
40 12