I will try to keep this post updated as BB10 evolves and as I update my understandings of the platform.

(FYI: "tl;dr" is not a typo, it's an "internetism". Urban Dictionary: tl;dr)

Blackberry 10's email retrieval and syncing features are very similiar to many other popular smartphone platforms today, though there are some significant differences from the legacy Blackberry OS (ie versions 5/6/7) environment. In particular the "BIS" service which required a specially-provisioned mobile account (and often separate fee) is no longer required/included. (Though it is still used behind the scenes for services such as Blackberry Messenger.)

Many people appreciate the ability to receive messages as quickly as possible after they were sent, and Blackberry has long had a reputation for helping facilitate quick email retrieval. There are several ways to accomplish this "push" or "pseudo push" email retrieval, please see below for details.

There are 5 main email server architectures to be aware of:

1. POP server. "Store and forward". Email is received on server, sits on server until it is retrieved, whereupon it is deleted from the server. This works best when you only have a single email client, but you can "kludge" multiple clients by configuring one email client not to delete an email after retrieving it, and another email client to retrieve and delete. (Which usually works.) These were common with old-school ISPs and legacy corporate networks.
    2. IMAP server. This is a newer technology than POP. In this architecture, emails are stored indefinitely on the server. You can use multiple email clients (even at the same time) to view, organize or delete messages, or download a local copy of messages. Depending on client and server configuration, once a message is deleted it will either go into a "trash folder" which you have to manually purge as desired, into an "archive" folder, or it is deleted immediately. Many ISPs and companies use this now instead of POP.
    3. Microsoft Exchange Server. Full-blown enterprise email. Conceptually similiar to IMAP as it stores all messages on the server, but with many additional features. Often includes contacts, calendar and tasks features. Email connection is either via a proprietary "MAPI" connection, or via Exchange Active Sync ("EAS"), a lightweight synchronization protocol.
    4. Webmail. ie Gmail/Hotmail/Yahoo. Normally used via a web browser or proprietary email client app, some allow retrieval via POP/IMAP/EAS protocols as well.
    5. Blackberry.net email using the legacy Blackberry Internet Services, or "BIS". Proprietary "push" email system, can be used natively with a "Blackberry.net" email address, or can be configured to retrieve email from other POP/IMAP servers and deliver them to your Blackberry inbox(s). Allows email sent to "masquerade" as the email address being forwarded to it, so your emails still appear as if they are coming from the external account(s). Requires the Blackberry-proprietary BIS service, a Blackberry ID and a Blackberry smartphone. (BIS is also used for other traditional Blackberry services, like BBM and PIN messages.) Blackberry.net email is in the process of being slowly phased-out.

#1: POP mail is checked/retrieved by periodically "polling" for new messages. 3-15 minute polling intervals are common. This is the most data-intensive system due to the continuous polling. Traditionally it was "all or nothing" - once you knew there were messages waiting, in order to see them you had to download the entire message, including large file attachments. Some email clients allow you to "peek" at the beginning of the message - ie to read the latest response at the top of the body of the message - without downloading the entire message.

#2: IMAP also uses polling to retrieve messages, but it also has optional modes, ie "IMAP IDLE" or "P-IMAP" that as long as the client maintains an active connection, the server can "push" any new messages to the client without the client having to constantly poll for them. This conserves resources on the client and carrier data usage, and generally retrieves mail faster especially when compared to infrequent polling.

#3: Exchange uses one of 2 main proprietary methods to "Push" email to the client, so emails are received quickly. The most common method of syncing an Exchange email account to a mobile device is called Exchange ActiveSync, or "EAS" for short. BB10 is the first Blackberry smartphone OS with native EAS support. (BB10's predecessor "Blackberry Tablet OS", as used on the original Blackberry Playbook, was actually the first Blackberry OS to feature EAS, starting with v2.0.)

#4: Webmail services are typically accessed via web browser or a proprietary app. Some also allow email retrieval via non-web email clients using standard email protocols. Here's an overview of some of the more popular ones and which methods they support:

Google Gmail / Google Apps
    Web
    POP
    IMAP / IMAP IDLE (PUSH)
    Atom
    Exchange ActiveSync "EAS" (PUSH - Ending 2013-01 to 2013-07 for new non-paid users, see [1] below)

Microsoft Windows Live Mail / Hotmail / Outlook.com
    Web
    POP
    IMAP / IMAP IDLE (PUSH)
    Exchange ActiveSync "EAS" (PUSH)

Yahoo Mail
    Web
    POP (legacy / paid accounts)
    IMAP - via imap.rim.mail.yahoo.com or rim.imap.mail.yahoo.com)
    P-IMAP / XYMPKI / Proprietary (PUSH)

Fastmail.fm
    Web
    POP
    IMAP / IMAP IDLE / IMAP Advanced (PUSH)

#5: Blackberry's proprietary "BIS" / Blackberry.net - this was a boon in the days when many people were using POP email systems which had no "push" capability. RIM/Blackberry collected your emails by continuously polling your POP email server, then sending new messages to the Blackberry without requiring the Blackberry itself to do the polling. BIS also includes some data-compression features and gives users the ability to decide on a message-by-message basis whether to keep a local copy of the message, leave the email on the POP server for later retrieval from ie a home PC, or delete the email on the POP server. BIS email can also collect email from IMAP servers and popular webmail providers such as AOL, Gmail, Windows Live or Yahoo.

However since POP email servers are getting less and less common, and because BIS had its own limitations (General internet/web-browsing overhead/slowdown, dependency on RIM/Blackberry's network infrastructure, message and attachment size limitations, inability to edit a forwarded message, inability to see full email headers, etc) and because BIS is a complex and costly service whose cost was passed-on to carriers, Blackberry decided to discontinue reliance on this service for individual user email starting with Blackberry 10. (Blackberry's enterprise email products are not affected.) Blackberry has stated that existing users will be provided a mechanism to automatically forward emails sent to or originating from blackberry.net addresses to another email address for up to a year after the activation of a Blackberry 10 device.

Options for former BIS users

The upshot of this is that in some cases, people who are currently using POP-based email services will not have the BIS "pseudo push" service available to them any more. For many users, they can simply switch to a different method of retrieving messages from their provider, as most major email providers today support one of the more modern protocols as listed above.

For those who do not have that option, there are some other possible workarounds. One option would be to auto-forward emails from your traditional provider to an account at an email provider that provides quick/efficient retrieval - ie using "IMAP IDLE" or "EAS". Another theoretical option would be to use some special POP communication settings to help minimize the traffic incurred during each polling/retrieval cycle. (ie some email servers and clients support data compression, and most POP clients today have a setting to limit the size of "message chunk" downloaded, to allow you to peek at a message with a big file attachment, for example, without having to download the whole attachment unless you choose to do so.) I do not yet know if Blackberry 10 offers, or plans to offer, these latter options for POP3 accounts on the smartphone itself.

The BIS changes will not affect your ability to receive "nearly instant" email notifications if you are currently using Gmail, Microsoft Hotmail / Live / Outlook.com, a corporate email server or commercial hosting provider supporting EAS or any IMAP email server supporting "IMAP IDLE", though you may have to adjust some account settings to make sure you are using the most efficient retrieval method. In some cases this may entail higher resource/data usage than the old "BIS" system, but that puts Blackberry 10 on par with all its other major competitors and provides some actual benefits as well.

Here is a newer post I have done explaining some of the challenges of keeping BIS on Blackberry 10:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...de-bis-786880/

Yahoo is a special case. While Yahoo technically supports push email delivery (Indeed, Blackberry's legacy BIS service implements this) it is a proprietary protocol and this is not currently supported in Blackberry 10, possibly for security reasons. (Apparently XYMPKI sends auth credentials in the clear, which is a bigger deal over the internet than when it is encapsulated in BIS traffic. Another possibility is that Blackberry would have to take Yahoo's proprietary push notifications and convert them to a more widely-used push protocol, or modify the email client with these proprietary features, which they are trying to avoid. To be clear: this is speculation on my part. I don't have any official info from Blackberry on the reason this has changed w/ Blackberry 10. For what it's worth, both Android and Windows Phone 8 have the same issue: no push Yahoo email via the built-in, native email client.)

Now, how do you setup a new email account?

Here's a good Crackberry post on the basics (link), and here's a tutorial and video from the Inside Blackberry Help Blog. (link)

You can use the "easy" or "advanced" method. The "easy" method will try to guess some things, based on what you enter for your email address. If you're not using one of the more popular services, or if you want to tweak things more, you can alternately use the "advanced" method.

There are also a few settings you should be aware of to make most effective use of your new Blackberry 10 email configuration.

If getting email as quickly as possible is a priority, don't forget to set the "Push" option in the account setup or advanced settings page of an existing email account. (This will not be available for a POP3 email account)

Also, for IMAP or EAS email accounts (including Google or Outlook.com), you can set the length of time your Blackberry email client will display older messages. The setting is slightly different for each method:

• EAS: Sync Timeframe
    • IMAP: Initial Retrieval Amount

In the case of EAS, this determines how long a message will remain visible in your Blackberry after its timestamp date. For example if you have this parameter set for 30 days and the message in question has a timestamp of January 1, it should remain visible in your Blackberry until February 1. This does NOT mean that after February 1 the email is deleted from your account, it just means it is no longer directly visible on your Blackberry. (There is a search function that can find messages older than the Sync Timeframe)

In the case of IMAP, this determines how far back your Blackberry will initially retrieve messages upon initial account setup.

As of 2013-11 and OS versions 10.1.0.4xxx and above, BlackBerry 10 OS now allows all syncing email protocols to retain messages on-device "forever". However be advised that trying to synchronize and keep a copy of many thousands of emails from a large mailbox on a mobile device can result in performance/resource consumption issues, so be very careful with this setting and use it only if you really need it. Since most modern Microsoft Exchange servers providing EAS synchronization also offer a "Remote Search" facility, this is probably the best option for most people. IE set your on-device retention-time to something reasonable ie 7-30 days, and then use the search facility for those times you need to retrieve something older. (IMAP accounts may not offer remote-search as this is not widely standardized, I will try to update this article with more info on this soon.)

[1] Details on Google phase-out of Exchange ActiveSync here.

I hope I have helped to clear up some of your email-related questions pertaining to Blackberry 10.

Or at least given you an opportunity for a restful snooze.

Last edited by Omnitech; 11-25-13 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Added IMAP to Outlook.com section, updated info on message retention limits for syncing.
    03-03-13 03:52 AM
    Nicely done. Might wanna fix the heading though
    03-03-13 04:21 AM
    Nicely done. Might wanna fix the heading though
    Thanks!

Re: the "heading" - if you mean the "tl;dr" part.. perhaps this will help

Urban Dictionary: tl;dr
    03-03-13 04:34 AM
    Lmao filled in great info I can't wait to get my z10
    03-03-13 05:41 AM
    Great info! Thank you!

I won't be churlish and wish you had done this thread 2 weeks ago.
    03-03-13 09:03 AM
    Great info! Thank you!

I won't be churlish and wish you had done this thread 2 weeks ago.
    Thanks.

As for the timing, part of it had to do with watching people ask the same questions over and over and over, part of it had to do with learning some things, ie about Yahoo.

When I went to update the post that inspired this one with recently-learned info about Yahoo, I was reminded of how many people kept asking the same questions and how valuable I think it would be to have an easy to find place for them to refer to for those questions. Especially since Blackberry did away with BIS on BB10 and really didn't educate people about the extent of the implications about that.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    03-03-13 09:52 AM
    Sticky this please!!!! I can see the flood of questions come pouring in shortly regarding this.
    03-21-13 11:07 PM
    In the case of EAS, this determines how long a message will remain visible in your Blackberry after its timestamp date. For example if you have this parameter set for 30 days and the message in question has a timestamp of January 1, it should remain visible in your Blackberry until February 1. This does NOT mean that after February 1 the email is deleted from your account, it just means it is no longer directly visible on your Blackberry. (There is a search function that can find messages older than the Sync Timeframe)
    Hi!

I was very interested in your post.. I quote the part I am most interested in .. How can we search an older message? I am unable to do so on my Playbook with a Gmail Account working with Exchange..

I have an other question, why is there a timeframe limited by 30 days? On my iPhone I was able to select unlimited..

Thank you for your time

Florent
    04-17-13 06:03 PM
    (There is a search function that can find messages older than the Sync Timeframe)

There is currently a search function that we can use right now? What is this magic and where can we get it?
    04-17-13 10:50 PM
    (There is a search function that can find messages older than the Sync Timeframe)

There is currently a search function that we can use right now? What is this magic and where can we get it?

"Remote Search" is available on compatible email systems that use Exchange ActiveSync, an email protocol originally designed by Microsoft for its flagship enterprise email platform, Microsoft Exchange, and licensed to other vendors.

It's important to note that there is no guarantee that any particular EAS system will support that function, and in the native Microsoft implementation it can also be selectively restricted by system policies.

But in general if the server supports it the Z10 should support it.

Google happens to be an EAS licensee but they no longer make it available on their free products and their implementations of "standards" are often full of idiosyncracies.
    04-18-13 02:31 AM
    "Remote Search" is available on compatible email systems that use Exchange ActiveSync, an email protocol originally designed by Microsoft for its flagship enterprise email platform, Microsoft Exchange, and licensed to other vendors.
    So for IMAP accounts, such as free Gmail, remote search is not a possibility? Personally, I would gladly shorten the initial retrieval amount to a week or so if I knew that I could search to retrieve older mails as needed.
    04-18-13 11:32 AM
    So for IMAP accounts, such as free Gmail, remote search is not a possibility? Personally, I would gladly shorten the initial retrieval amount to a week or so if I knew that I could search to retrieve older mails as needed.
    BB10 as currently implemented does not have such a feature for IMAP.

Apparently the old Gmail plugin for BBOS devices supported that (link), but it probably was coded to specifically take into account Gmail's idiosyncracies. There is a server-side search function defined in IMAP4, but it can be resource intensive for the server, slow to return results, and BB10 doesn't appear to implement it as of the moment.
    04-18-13 03:31 PM
    BB10 as currently implemented does not have such a feature for IMAP.

Apparently the old Gmail plugin for BBOS devices supported that (link), but it probably was coded to specifically take into account Gmail's idiosyncracies. There is a server-side search function defined in IMAP4, but it can be resource intensive for the server, slow to return results, and BB10 doesn't appear to implement it as of the moment.
    So, for remote search it's EAS or nothing. I hate the hassle of changing my main email address but I'd rather have remote search than years of email on my phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 04:48 PM
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. (and I apologize for the length of this message�questions are in last paragraph)

This is exactly what I have been looking for�a single post that provides all the information that I need to understand how BB10 interacts with email. I can now make an informed decision with my eyes open, and not be one of those people who purchases a device and whines about what it does or doesn�t do!

I have developed my own way of organizing and storing/archiving email that has worked for me for almost 15 years. It started out as a reaction to the size limitations on the old Outlook .pst files, but has morphed into something more. I currently have four email accounts that dump into Outlook 2010 and to my BB9700. I use the �delete on Handheld only� option frequently. The email accounts are a combo of IMAP and POP and they all play nicely together. I also have emails and text messages from various years sitting on my BB that I can refer back to whenever the need arises. Yes, this is all very old school, and I realize it. If I make the move to BB10, I will need to change the way I do things.

This is how I understand it�the 30 or 90 day limit isn�t going away. If a POP message has not downloaded to Outlook, delete on BB will �delete� it from server. If Outlook is configured to NOT leave messages on server a message might not hit the BB at all�depending on how often you set the BB to look for messages. IMAP messages will be 100% the same across all devices. Some outgoing mail servers have issues communicating with BB10�(Network Solutions for example). Finally�most if not all�of the messages from prior years that I have on my 9700 will not be copied over to my BB10 device. Am I correct?

Thanks!
    04-28-13 01:43 PM
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. [...]

Glad it came in handy for you.

This is how I understand it—the 30 or 90 day limit isn’t going away.

For the latest info on that, please see the following:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ficial-800673/

If a POP message has not downloaded to Outlook, delete on BB will “delete” it from server. If Outlook is configured to NOT leave messages on server a message might not hit the BB at all—depending on how often you set the BB to look for messages.

Yes, I believe the Z10's default setting for POP3 is "leave on server" when initially retrieving, and it only deletes when you execute the delete command on a particular message in Hub.

But there also appears to be a limited timeframe of visibility of POP messages in Hub, similiar to a synced account. This is a pretty unusual way to handle POP mail, but apparently that is going to change as well this summer. (See link above) I assume they may have done this to manage resource-consumption issues in Hub.

IMAP messages will be 100% the same across all devices. Some outgoing mail servers have issues communicating with BB10—(Network Solutions for example). Finally—most if not all—of the messages from prior years that I have on my 9700 will not be copied over to my BB10 device. Am I correct?

Recent firmware releases seem to have addressed most of the outgoing email issues, though I can't test this myself because my carrier is still only officially supporting a very old firmware release.

What one person that I had a lot of discussion/debate here about migrating from the traditional Blackberry device to Blackberry 10 decided to do was keep his Outlook installation as his main email archive of sorts, set Outlook to use POP3 but set to "leave on server", let the Z10 get the new messages for viewing/action as necessary, but keep all the permanent archives on Outlook. Perhaps that would work for you?
    04-28-13 08:11 PM
    Updated the OP with new info about >30 day syncing/visibility of email messages in Hub.
    04-28-13 08:24 PM
    Question: Does the 30-day rule (or 60 or 90) apply to all folders, or only to synced folders?

If I create a Save folder in Gmail and un-sync it, will it function more or less like the legacy "Save" feature, or will mail filed there still disappear after the time limit?
    Omnitech likes this.
    05-05-13 07:35 PM
    Question: Does the 30-day rule (or 60 or 90) apply to all folders, or only to synced folders?

If I create a Save folder in Gmail and un-sync it, will it function more or less like the legacy "Save" feature, or will mail filed there still disappear after the time limit?

Keep in mind that technically, when you create a folder in a synced account, you are not usually creating a folder on the device, you are creating a folder on the synced server account.

In theory, that should mean that if you created that folder and unsynced it, the folder should go away on the BB10 device but remain in your Gmail account.

In practice - based on a quick test I just did on a different IMAP account on my Z10 - it actually does NOT delete the folder on the Z10.

I have no idea what happens to that folder or its data going forward. If indeed that makes a protected "save" folder, we could have probably avoided hundreds of hours of bitter debate here on CB over the last few months re: BB10's apparent lack of such a way to save emails.
    05-05-13 08:05 PM
    Methinks I'm not up to speed on this. If the 30-day (or whatever) rule only applies to initial retrieval, then any mail in any folder should stay put going forward.

But what does Gmail think happened to the mail filed in that un-synced folder? Has it disappeared?

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 08:22 PM
    Methinks I'm not up to speed on this. If the 30-day (or whatever) rule only applies to initial retrieval, then any mail in any folder should stay put going forward.

IMAP is the account type that only has a time setting for "initial retrieval". Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) accounts have a "sync timeframe" setting that will purge any emails off the device older than that setting.

Gmail technically can be setup either way, but nowadays the only Gmail users that can use EAS are the paying customers.

But what does Gmail think happened to the mail filed in that un-synced folder? Has it disappeared?
    I'm not a Gmail on BB10 expert partly because I never got my Gmail account properly setup on the device. It's on my to-do list.

But if it's like my other IMAP accounts, it should (unsurprisingly) just have a folder with that name with the same contents it had when it was unsynced from the mobile device.

What would be truly unpredictable is what would happen if you tried re-syncing it. I don't know which side would "win" in such a case.

In the quick test I just did on another IMAP account using a folder that was:

• Originally created on the Z10 and synced
    • One message added to folder (confirmed sync to server)
    • Unsynced
    • Deleted email from unsynced Z10 folder
    • Enabled syncing again on that folder

...it deleted the message on the server.
    05-05-13 09:12 PM
    As far as I can tell, there's no way to create a new Gmail folder on the Z10; it has to be done in the web app. Maybe I just haven't figured it out.

Anyway, I went ahead and created the "Save" folder in the Gmail web app, then refreshed the Gmail account on my Z10 and there it was. I went into Account Edit>Folder Settings and un-synced that folder, then filed an email into it. I then went back to the web app and checked that folder and voila! that email was visible in the folder. I checked the Z10 again and there was now a sync icon next to the new "Save" folder.

What does all this mean? I don't really know, but it looks like putting something into a folder causes it to sync, at least in Gmail. I don't know if this is a Z10 quirk or a Gmail quirk. I haven't yet experimented with my other IMAP (work) account.

If the 30-day (or whatever) time limit only affects initial retrieval but doesn't cause email to vanish from folders going forward, I don't really care. The main thing, for me, is to be able to put mail somewhere where I can find it again when I need it, without needing to dig through the Inbox for everything.

I use the Flag-Remember system only for emails that are actually about things I need to do. I believe that's the intended use, rather than Remember serving as a general email storage bin.
    05-06-13 07:35 AM
    Oh, the 30-day limit does indeed affect how long a message remains visible on the Z10. Luckily, that limit is in the process of being expanded in newer OS releases.

Perhaps the reason that you can't create a folder on Gmail has something to do with the fact that Gmail doesn't actually have folders.

It has "labels". And their syncing interface emulates folders, but actually what looks like a Gmail folder is actually just a collection of messages that all have the same tags on them.

Gmail Finally Ends the Folder vs. Label War

I'll have to try the folder creation thing once I get my Gmail account setup properly on the Z10.

BTW: be very careful with the "Flag-Remember" thing - it will purge those messages in "Remember" after the 30-day limit too! (Hmmm, now I'm trying to remember, either it purges them after 30-days, or it purges them when the original message is deleted from the Hub. Either way: Danger Will Robinson!)
    05-06-13 01:20 PM
    Thank you very much for that detailed explanation.
    It explained why the Q10 is not working the same as OS7 torch, which was quite frustrating having called many techs of my providers (web and cell) and now I finally understand it but more importantly, know what I must do!
    Hopefully my experience may help others, but my host is with Network Solutions, and OS7 and their standard packages (POP based) got along just fine. To get the OS10 working I just purchased their nsPro mail to add to my current hosting account with them, built for Blackberry, (~$12 monthly) and the setup was great to the point where I typed in my device number ("really? this easy? Days and days and this will fix it?" ) and shortly after received an email where they could not configure with the (Q10) device (with full instant refund). I understood that this would at least add IMAP to my email account, but this doesn't seem to be the case currently.
    I'll keep trying to find out what may be done, or if things are in the works etc. but if anyone knows of a comparable host that simply works with OS10 (~$16-30$ monthly) I'll move, or if anyone else has a NS product that works I'll buy it as I need this fixed as soon as possible. Thanks again for clearing up something I've lost days on.
    05-19-13 07:25 AM
    It explained why the Q10 is not working the same as OS7 torch, which was quite frustrating having called many techs of my providers (web and cell) and now I finally understand it but more importantly, know what I must do!
    Hopefully my experience may help others, but my host is with Network Solutions, and OS7 and their standard packages (POP based) got along just fine. To get the OS10 working I just purchased their nsPro mail to add to my current hosting account with them, built for Blackberry, (~$12 monthly) and the setup was great to the point where I typed in my device number ("really? this easy? Days and days and this will fix it?" ) and shortly after received an email where they could not configure with the (Q10) device (with full instant refund). I understood that this would at least add IMAP to my email account, but this doesn't seem to be the case currently.
    I'll keep trying to find out what may be done, or if things are in the works etc. but if anyone knows of a comparable host that simply works with OS10 (~$16-30$ monthly) I'll move, or if anyone else has a NS product that works I'll buy it as I need this fixed as soon as possible. Thanks again for clearing up something I've lost days on.

With all of that I can't figure out what your actual issue is. What are you trying to accomplish and what precisely is not working?

There are many email providers that work fine with the Q10. The first question is whether you need to maintain an email address that is controlled by Network Solutions. If so, you are "married" to them. If you are willing to change email addresses, or if Network Solutions is just hosting email for your own domain under your own control, then there are many good providers to choose from.

Another option, as a temporary workaround, is to have Network Solutions forward your mail to another provider temporarily until you figure out what you need. Outlook.com for example is free and provides good push email functionality on Blackberry 10 devices, as well as calendar and contact sync if you want it.
    05-19-13 08:49 AM
    With all of that I can't figure out what your actual issue is. What are you trying to accomplish and what precisely is not working?

There are many email providers that work fine with the Q10. The first question is whether you need to maintain an email address that is controlled by Network Solutions. If so, you are "married" to them. If you are willing to change email addresses, or if Network Solutions is just hosting email for your own domain under your own control, then there are many good providers to choose from.

Another option, as a temporary workaround, is to have Network Solutions forward your mail to another provider temporarily until you figure out what you need. Outlook.com for example is free and provides good push email functionality on Blackberry 10 devices, as well as calendar and contact sync if you want it.
    Thanks for the reply, and sorry if I wasn't clear.
    Basically, I have a domain hosted by Network Solutions (NS), ie: "www.mydomain.com"
    With my hosting package, they give me about 1000 ***@mydomain.com email accounts, including a "catchall" account, so that my previous BB with OS7 had the catchall arriving at my BB, so anything prefixing @mydomain.com would get to my BB which was an absolutely beautiful thing.

Now the way I understand your original post, because NS is POP based it is anitquated and is no longer supported. I understand that it was being "pushed" from BB, and there could be other/ additional reasons, but all I know is NS and OS10 don't/ can't work together (as of today), and I've researched it and find it to be a common problem. Their (NS) response was it was a BB problem and they're aware of it, and there's a fix coming (from BB). Reading your original post, I don't believe that to be the case, and it's actually an NS POP based email problem. I tried to "upgrade" (to lMAP?) but for whatever reason, that upgrade was not a solution to the problem.

While I appreciate the suggested workarounds, I deal with sensitive, proprietary and personal information in my business, so I am not comfortable with running it through 3rd parties just for the purpose of pushing. BB did it and I am ok with that as it was a "paid" service in a round about way, but I like to limit the parties that I am granting permission to with the information flowing through them. The Outlook.com "boilerplate" service and privacy agreements are extremely cumbersome and don't give me comfort. (gmail is similar.) I can only think that the free service is offered in exchange for data mining, but either way for me, a "paid" service becomes essentially a "subcontractor", and I can explain that to clientelle in regards to liability, whereas a "free" service just isn't legally equal.

If you have or know of a list of hosting companies that are seamlessly working with OS10 in the above capacity I'd love to have it. Obviously, it would give me negotiating power with NS, but barring that fix I'll just move.
    (still holding true to your tl;dr title perhaps? )
    Thanks again
    Last edited by Formspace; 05-21-13 at 04:53 AM.
    05-21-13 04:41 AM
40 12