Wonderful, however you forgot to mention that these ARE the only ones that it will support push email for. Setting up any other POP or IMAP account is only pull email support. I know this because I have a headache every time I have to setup email addresses for my clients and have them complain about slow email delivery.
    This is not BlackBerry's fault. BlackBerry 10 provides push access to *any* email service that supports IMAP IDLE or EAS. Yes, BIS did use to provide the illusion of push on non-push accounts but how were your users getting push on non-BlackBerry devices before???

If you need push, please use an email service that supports push. BlackBerry cannot change the protocols your email service provides.
    Last edited by b320; 05-26-13 at 03:35 AM. Reason: fix typos
    02-11-13 01:46 PM
    No share of the z10 gmail settings?
    From another thread:

Try these settings (for Google account), worked for me:

Making sure you add through MS Exchange Active Sync NOT IMAP
    username: [email protected]
    email address: [email protected]
    password: put your email password
    server address: m.google.comport: 443
    encrytion:ssl
    02-12-13 12:42 AM
    From another thread:
    These settings will not work for everyone. Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) is only officially supported for paid Google Apps accounts. For the rest, Google provides IMAP-IDLE, which some argue is "fake" push but gets the job done. Please see other threads for the instructions -- there are several.
    02-12-13 01:04 AM
    These settings will not work for everyone. Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) is only officially supported for paid Google Apps accounts. For the rest, Google provides IMAP-IDLE, which some argue is "fake" push but gets the job done. Please see other threads for the instructions -- there are several.
    Oddly enough those are the settings I have and they seem to work well for me, and this is using my free email account and our family calendar account

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-12-13 01:11 AM
    Oddly enough those are the settings I have and they seem to work well for me, and this is using my free email account and our family calendar account

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    Already integrated Gmail and free Google Apps accounts are grandfathered in. Google has not announced a timeframe for discontinuation of EAS support for users who are already using EAS on such accounts. Please see: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/...-cleaning.html
    02-12-13 01:48 AM
    So the question remains. Can we set up the Z10 to use the BIS to "push" our pop3 account emails to the phone?
    There's no more BIS support with BB10, whatever the feature. At first (due to Dev Alpha specifics) I thought it has become "optional", but no: it's just gone.
    POP sounds to me as an antique protocol, even if it is still popular: this won't last. In fact, most email hosting platforms/softwares do support IMAP (i.e push capabilities) for years, but are not IMAP enabled due to lazy/outdated administrators or simply not addressed as-is by customers because they don't know it is enabled (and the protocol discovery is not properly set on their hosting servers).
    02-12-13 02:06 AM
    Oh, not again... IMAP IDLE is not push, it's POLL with 30-60 sec. But you can believe in what you want to believe.
    And as it turns out, you are wrong. Read the RFC: RFC 2177 - IMAP4 IDLE command

I've made a test - 5 IMAP IDLE inboxes kills Z10 battery in 5-6 hours, 4 EAS inboxes kills Z10 battery in 8-9 hours, at BIS i have 9 inboxes (7 IMAP, 2 BES) - ~48 hours on 9780.

This is a fact, but as i say before - who's care?
    Well factual accuracy is important, I recommend you employ it. Correlation is not causation: basic scientific process.

To reiterate: IMAP IDLE does not require "polling" from the MUA to notify the MUA of a mailbox status change. Those messages are initiated from the MDA side. (MUA = "Mail User Agent" - ie email client app, MDA = "Mail Delivery Agent" - ie mail server the MUA retrieves email from.)

I am not denying the battery-life issues you pointed-out, but those are not due to "polling". What is actually happening is that in order for IMAP IDLE to work, an active TCP connection / socket has to be maintained for the server to send those preemptive notifications back to the MUA. It is most likely the maintenance of that open TCP connection (not any "polling") which is causing the battery-life issues. Because maintaining a continuously open TCP connection requires the radio to be active (so the TCP timer - ie on a firewall somewhere or just in the IP stack - doesn't expire and time out the socket/connection), and the radio being active is what uses the battery. (Again, it is not the "polling" or the packets traversing the link that are using up the battery, just the fact that the link remains up at all.)

Newer extensions to the IMAP protocol (some refer to these colloquially as the "Lemonade" group of extensions) were specifically designed to improve link efficiency in ways that should help improve battery-life on mobile devices using IMAP. However those extensions are not yet part of the IMAP standard and support for them on both the MDA and MUA side is currently hit/miss. (I would love to know if BB10 supports them - it would be an excellent efficiency bonus if one was connecting to a server that also supports them. One company whose servers are designed to support them is fastmail.fm.)
    b320 likes this.
    02-12-13 05:33 AM
    Hi all I'm from malaysia, I have a question on z10, I want to use the balance work with active sync and my personal for my Gmail is this possible? I read somewhere for bb balance to work I need to have the server install and setup? Need all the expert advice as I have ordered my z10 from Canada can't wait for malaysia to launch. Cheers
    02-12-13 06:22 AM
    Hi all I'm from malaysia, I have a question on z10, I want to use the balance work with active sync and my personal for my Gmail is this possible? I read somewhere for bb balance to work I need to have the server install and setup? Need all the expert advice as I have ordered my z10 from Canada can't wait for malaysia to launch. Cheers
    Welcome to CrackBerry!

That said, it's not clear why you're posting your question about BlackBerry Balance in this thread. The good news is that this has been answered several times in both this Forum as well as the one for the BlackBerry Z10. For example see this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...no-bes-770846/
    02-12-13 06:36 AM
    Hi sorry as I'm searching the forum and only this thread came up. Thank you for the link.
    02-12-13 06:51 AM
    My best retrieval times are with the following settings:

Set up GMail using Active Sync setup. In this setup, only sync Calendar and Contacts.
    Next, setup GMail for email using the IMAP setup.

I am not a paid GMail user. With these settings, my emails are coming through almost instantly. The only "problem" I have with this setup is that I get two "GMail" accounts in my Hub list. Even when I go into Hub Management and deselect one GMail account, both still show up in my Hub.
    02-12-13 07:00 AM
    I don't mind forwarding my Rogers/YahooPOP account to my gmail account to get instant notification, but there isn't a way to reply from the pop account... So my email [email protected] can be forwarded to [email protected] and it will come to my phone instantly, but when I reply to the email, I have to reply using my gmail account, not my rogers/yahoo account which is a problem for me...
    You can set up gmail to automatically reply using same email addy It was sent to.
    02-12-13 07:26 AM
    yes, i think the problem is that RIM always marketed it as push since the phone wasnt doing the work. Somewhere along the line "push" and "instant" got mashed together
    And dont forget sync. :-)
    02-12-13 07:52 AM
    You're welcome! Yes, Yahoo Mail does have things going for it and against it but

I know this is a bit off-topic - but.. What does Yahoo going FOR it?
    What features does Yahoo have that the others dont? (except from trouble)
    02-12-13 08:55 AM
    I know this is a bit off-topic - but.. What does Yahoo going FOR it?
    What features does Yahoo have that the others dont? (except from trouble)
    Among other things, Yahoo is not as aggressive as Google is about monetizing your personal data, and even if they were they simply don't have the spectrum of businesses that Google does that they can share data with/data-mine from.

One of the key reasons I won't own an Android smartphone is that I do not relish the idea of Google getting it's tentacles all over the central data in my life. It's pretty easy to keep Google's hands off of important personal stuff if all you do is use their search-engine, but a smartphone is a literal gold-mine of personal/confidential data and I have zero interest in letting them get their mitts all over it.
    02-12-13 02:30 PM
    I am not a paid GMail user. With these settings, my emails are coming through almost instantly. The only "problem" I have with this setup is that I get two "GMail" accounts in my Hub list. Even when I go into Hub Management and deselect one GMail account, both still show up in my Hub.
    What you describe *should* be a working workaround. Are your two Gmail accounts setup with two different names? Also, did you ever have them both enabled for email (i.e. did you remove email right on the first config screen or only after setup went through)?

If you can't fix it, I'd still say your best bet is to just use EAS as long as Google lets you as it should give you good results but I do understand where you're coming from.
    02-12-13 04:26 PM
    Among other things, Yahoo is not as aggressive as Google is about monetizing your personal data,...

Don't look like they have full control over privacy and automatic routines either:

Flickr accidentally made some private photos public for 20 days (update: Yahoo responds) | The Verge
    02-12-13 07:05 PM
    Don't look like they have full control over privacy and automatic routines either:

Flickr accidentally made some private photos public for 20 days (update: Yahoo responds) | The Verge

Oh, I'm not trying to imply that they are angels or anything - but among other things, they don't own and control the world's biggest smartphone platform, which just so happens to typically force almost all users to shuttle their data through Google by default, and sometimes is hard to prevent without rooting the device..
    02-13-13 12:13 AM
    Oh, I'm not trying to imply that they are angels or anything -..
    :-)

I guess we all have past experiences with different service providers, good or bad, and mine with Yahoo is more on the bad side unfortunately. When I have found good state of the art services - Yahoo often bought them within a few years - just to cripple the service...

One thing which is true for all of them though - Nothing really comes for free - there's always a catch somewhere... as there should.
    Things cannot be 100% free - someone has to pay the bill... otherwise the service will be gone after short time
    02-13-13 07:46 AM
    One thing which is true for all of them though - Nothing really comes for free - there's always a catch somewhere... as there should.
    Things cannot be 100% free - someone has to pay the bill... otherwise the service will be gone after short time
    There's an old saying about that, here it is as an acronym: TANSTAAFL.
    02-14-13 05:10 AM
    There's an old saying about that, here it is as an acronym: TANSTAAFL.
    Free lunches do exist actually - if you can accept some cold fruits :-)
    02-14-13 09:31 AM
    That and people never really understood "push" to begin with lol.
    It doesn't help that 90% of the people on this forum called it PUSH in an attempt to give BB an advantage over other platforms for "communications." A quick forum search can display this.

How that it's gone, they're busy trying to clean up the mess of misconception they helped perpetuate.
    02-14-13 11:02 AM
    Here's all I know.
    I use gmail and I get the e-mail on my Z10 faster than I do on then on chrome logged into gmail. It's awesome. There. I said it.
    02-14-13 11:59 AM
    some people say that blackberry never really had pushmail, because RIM used to fetch pop mailbox every 15 minutes, then push the mails to you. now bb10 just fetch the pop mailbox itself instead. but i think that's still huge difference. everybody knows fetching mailbox kills battery. blackberry is now no difference from other smartphones.
    03-14-13 10:43 AM
    some people say that blackberry never really had pushmail, because RIM used to fetch pop mailbox every 15 minutes, then push the mails to you. now bb10 just fetch the pop mailbox itself instead. but i think that's still huge difference. everybody knows fetching mailbox kills battery. blackberry is now no difference from other smartphones.
    BlackBerry have had pushmail for many years - via IMAP push. So IF your email provider supported it - emails has been instant. POP has never had any push options built in - but even there BlackBerry gave a solution - where you could have your pop provider Forward email to your BlackBerry BIS/BES address - and mail was instantly pushed out to your device. Now when IMAP Push is supported by most, there are no more need for any special BlackBerry email address. If your provider don't support IMAP Push - just create a free Gmail address - and set up forward from your old fashioned POP system to the Gmail account - and you will get emails instantly.

Pop is old old old - and should be avoided at any cost... start using IMAP instead and you will be much happier. BB10 supports IMAP push - and if your mail provider supports the same - you will get mail instantly - without killing your battery. BB10 syncs back to the service at 30 minute intervals to save battery - so if you delete mail from your phone - it can take up to 30 minutes before you see the change online -Unless you manually use the "refresh" function on your BB10 phone.

If you receive tons of email all the time - IMAP push can also drain battery - since it activates the phone all the time - and a more moderate old fashinoned "pull" every 15/30 minutes instead - can give you added battery life.

What is great with BB10 - is that you as a user can choose HOW you want it done - and choose what is most important - battery - or emails every second.
    03-14-13 11:15 AM
101 ... 2345