If you are using a pop3 (ancient) email account you can easily forward that account to one that supports push.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    Yep. Forwarding is instantaneous. Then push happens in seconds.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
    b320 likes this.
    02-11-13 12:38 AM
    That isn't the case. I can send an email to my swbell account from another email address and it will almost instantly be in my inbox (within seconds). It wouldn't take up to 15 minutes, ever.
    Then should be no different with the Z10 just make sure to leave push to ON when you set that account on your device

02-11-13 12:41 AM
    I think the bottom line is for some people they will not notice any difference since activesync/exchange accounts still are "push" but there are other accounts that before with BIS that do not operate the same and are no longer "push." So while some people have the same capabilities others will not and for them, they no longer have "push."
    So if you are using an ancient pop3 email account then use a traditional blackberry and keep it like you want it. Folks will be able to buy os7 phones for some time yet.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
    02-11-13 12:42 AM
    Push it, push it real good.

@billydasco
    02-11-13 12:45 AM
    Description : Gmail
    username: [email protected]
    email address: [email protected]
    update password:____
    server address: imap.gmail.com
    port:993
    encryption:ssl
    imap path prefix:___
    SMTP Username: [email protected]
    update SMTP password: _____
    SMTP server address: smtp.gmail.com
    SMTP port:465
    SMTP encryption: SSL
    Use push if supported: On
    Sync Interval: 15minutes

And I get my gmail emails right away
    If gmail is using IMAP push, then does the setting for "sync interval" even matter? Or is that just for calendar and contacts?
    02-11-13 01:14 AM
    Push it, push it real good.

@billydasco
    Thanks for bringing some humor to this discussion. The world might not be ending as a result of BIS email going away, *after all.*
    02-11-13 01:15 AM
    If gmail is using IMAP push, then does the setting for "sync interval" even matter? Or is that just for calendar and contacts?
    It will use push through IMAP-IDLE but synced IMAP folders might still be done at interval. Calendars and Contacts are done through CalDAV and CardDAV, which are separate protocols and IMAP sync interval should not apply to them.
    02-11-13 01:17 AM
    It will use push through IMAP-IDLE but synced IMAP folders might still be done at interval. Calendars and Contacts are done through CalDAV and CardDAV, which are separate protocols and IMAP sync interval should not apply to them.
    Would synced IMAP folders be like "sent" and "trash"? So, for instance, if I sent an email from my phone (from my gmail account), and had syncing interval set to 15 minutes, it would take 15 minutes for it to show up in the "sent" folder when i log into the gmail website? Sorry ...just trying to understand. This thread has helped more than any others-it should be a sticky thread.
    02-11-13 01:25 AM
    Would synced IMAP folders be like "sent" and "trash"? So, for instance, if I sent an email from my phone (from my gmail account), and had syncing interval set to 15 minutes, it would take 15 minutes for it to show up in the "sent" folder when i log into the gmail website? Sorry ...just trying to understand. This thread has helped more than any others-it should be a sticky thread.
    Yes that is exactly how it will work, it will also take some time to update read and delete messages status.

However if you are using Gmail you can set it as EAS account and it will work instantaneously.

02-11-13 01:33 AM
    Yes, this is what appears to be happening. However, I don't have the definite answer on this as it appears that we're still discovering particulars of IMAP/CalDAV/CardDAV behavior for various services as we go along.

What I do know is that for Exchange ActiveSync, all PIM data syncs on a push basis with inbox / arriving messages syncing the fastest and all else a bit slower but nearly instantly (within a few seconds) depending on connection and server loads.
    02-11-13 01:33 AM
    This is great news! So yahoo isn't a push service?
    02-11-13 04:03 AM
    LMAO, people does not understand differences between old BIS PUSH and IMAP IDLE

IMAP IDLE is a poll, not a push. But who's care? (battery and traffic usage)

4-5 IMAP IDLE inboxes can kill battery in 4-6 hours. But... who's care?
    02-11-13 04:22 AM
    It was never instant on the 9900 to begin with, BIS servers polled your email servers' provider every 15 minutes and sent those messages to your device, if they were there when the poll interval occurred, the only difference between then an now is that your device will the polling
    That isn't the case. I can send an email to my swbell account from another email address and it will almost instantly be in my inbox (within seconds). It wouldn't take up to 15 minutes, ever.
    You both are correct.

From this link by Sith

http://forums.crackberry.com/native-...l-work-152955/

The BIS itself will check for new messages every fifteen minutes by default. If it does find a new message, the message is compressed, and the first 2kb of data is then pushed to the device. For the next fifteen minutes, the BIS will check every three minutes for new mail. If no new mail is found within that second set of fifteen minutes, the server reverts to again checking once every fifteen minutes. As long as the server finds new mail within that time frame, it will continue to check every three minutes. This does not, however, apply to all email accounts. Gmail and Yahoo mail are two notable exceptions to this rule. The BIS remains constantly connected to these services, and will push new email automatically to the device, without the fifteen minute interval.

So for all the pop3 emails and such without imap idle this is how BIS worked. Now this is different with bb10.
    Omnitech likes this.
    02-11-13 05:43 AM
    LMAO, people does not understand differences between old BIS PUSH and IMAP IDLE

IMAP IDLE is a poll, not a push. But who's care? (battery and traffic usage)

4-5 IMAP IDLE inboxes can kill battery in 4-6 hours. But... who's care?
    LMAO, you do not understand differences between old BIS PUSH and IMAP IDLE

IMAP IDLE is push, and not a poll. But who's care? (let's remain ignorant and pretend to know what we're talking about)

*WHO'S CARE*

02-11-13 07:08 AM
    This is great news! So yahoo isn't a push service?
    While Yahoo offers push services similar to IMAP-IDLE, they are served through a proprietary protocol that's not currently supported as push on BlackBerry 10 devices. Yahoo email works but not through push right now.

02-11-13 07:11 AM
    IMAP IDLE is push, and not a poll
    Oh, not again... IMAP IDLE is not push, it's POLL with 30-60 sec. But you can believe in what you want to believe.

I've made a test - 5 IMAP IDLE inboxes kills Z10 battery in 5-6 hours, 4 EAS inboxes kills Z10 battery in 8-9 hours, at BIS i have 9 inboxes (7 IMAP, 2 BES) - ~48 hours on 9780.

This is a fact, but as i say before - who's care?
    02-11-13 07:22 AM
    Oh, not again... IMAP IDLE is not push, it's POLL with 30-60 sec. But you can believe in what you want to believe.

I've made a test - 5 IMAP IDLE inboxes kills Z10 battery in 5-6 hours, 4 EAS inboxes kills Z10 battery in 8-9 hours, at BIS i have 9 inboxes (7 IMAP, 2 BES) - ~48 hours on 9780.

This is a fact, but as i say before - who's care?
    It's generally agreed that IMAP-IDLE is "fake" push. However, it's considered close enough, just like on IOS and Android, and therefore considered to be "Push" by most people.

Your battery comparisons is one of apples and oranges. I'll let others explain further.

02-11-13 07:46 AM
    There is no secret - in BIS you have only one hop - to APN blackberry.net (to check BIS mail). But for BB10, if you have IMAP, then your path will be in 5-10-20 hops... Battery capacity depends on:

+ number of IMAP inboxes
    + IMAP server responce time
    + number of hops to IMAP server

In BIS architecture battery life does not depends on number of inboxes. This is a true! You can have 10 IMAP/POP3 inboxes and unlimited of BES inboxes, this will not affect on battery life. Only mail flow affect on it. But in BB10 number of active inboxes is important. After 4th inbox battery life will be eating by exponent.
    02-11-13 07:59 AM
    BlackBerry 10 supports push email.

I have a Z10, a Gmail, an exchange and a Hotmail (Live) account and no matter what connection I'm using (wifi or 4g) my email gets delivered in a matter of seconds.

Please stop this nonsense.

That is all.

You know I was letting this go but I just can't. I am really happy for you (and many others) that everything works perfect for you. But the FACT of the matter is that a lot of people are having mail delivery problems for whatever reason.
    In my case, I have a reproducible problem in that gmail is delivered instantly to Z10 while on WiFi but takes 15 min+++ on LTE.

I don't really give a rip on whether or not it is BIS, push, pull, IMAP-idle, EAS or whatever else. I just want my email to come to my communication device while on the road in a timely manner (like it always had with every other Blackberry I have ever owned). Something is going on and I came to this site as a tech-savvy user looking for help in troubleshooting.
    Instead of help, we get posts like this one saying "Stop this nonsense" and it gets thanked a ton of times.

I was hoping for better from Crackberry community. Are there better places for support that someone can suggest?
    02-11-13 08:31 AM
    You know I was letting this go but I just can't. I am really happy for you (and many others) that everything works perfect for you. But the FACT of the matter is that a lot of people are having mail delivery problems for whatever reason.
    In my case, I have a reproducible problem in that gmail is delivered instantly to Z10 while on WiFi but takes 15 min+++ on LTE.

I don't really give a rip on whether or not it is BIS, push, pull, IMAP-idle, EAS or whatever else. I just want my email to come to my communication device while on the road in a timely manner (like it always had with every other Blackberry I have ever owned). Something is going on and I came to this site as a tech-savvy user looking for help in troubleshooting.
    Instead of help, we get posts like this one saying "Stop this nonsense" and it gets thanked a ton of times.

I was hoping for better from Crackberry community. Are there better places for support that someone can suggest?
    What OS versin are you using, sometimes details help solve issues, so please explain.

OS versin, email provider, how you set this up on device, where are located?

With this information we can verify a lot of things

02-11-13 10:16 AM

Have you tried removing the email account and re-adding it?

There have been a few people that have had their issues resolved just by adding the account through the wizard instead of going through advanced settings.

I understand that you are having issues but as you can see most people are not.

Post some more details about your issue and you might get some more help. How many accounts do you have active? Are they IMAP or pop3?

02-11-13 11:00 AM
    What i don't understand is why Blackberry would get rid of it's best feature that is clearly superior to anything else on the market today. All the users of blackberry e-mail address will have to change their e-mail accounts and get a less reliable service/support. If Blackberry is keeping BBM over BIS, why can't they keep the e-mail accounts?

This is a BIG hit for Blackberry, BB10 operates almost like every other phone on the market now (minus BBM). I also prefered to have a seperate BIS data plan as well.

Take a look at the old sidekicks/hiptops, their e-mail service was the best on the market at the time as well, that's been long gone. Someone needs to develop a better/new e-mail service.
    02-11-13 12:08 PM
    What OS versin are you using, sometimes details help solve issues, so please explain.

OS versin, email provider, how you set this up on device, where are located?

With this information we can verify a lot of things

Thanks for asking. I have posted my questions in other threads including one that I started. I am pretty sure thsi thread was started by the OP in response to mine since they specifically single the WiFi vs LTE issue that I am seeing.

In any case, please see this thread for my details:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-times-770190/
    02-11-13 12:52 PM
    BlackBerry 10 supports push email.

I have a Z10, a Gmail, an exchange and a Hotmail (Live) account and no matter what connection I'm using (wifi or 4g) my email gets delivered in a matter of seconds.

Please stop this nonsense.

That is all.

Wonderful, however you forgot to mention that these ARE the only ones that it will support push email for. Setting up any other POP or IMAP account is only pull email support. I know this because I have a headache every time I have to setup email addresses for my clients and have them complain about slow email delivery.
    02-11-13 01:15 PM
    Le me ask again: When you setup gmail, did you pick

Gmail
    or
    IMAP

This may cause the confusion.
    02-11-13 01:37 PM
101 12345