BlackBerry 10 supports push email.

I have a Z10, a Gmail, an exchange and a Hotmail (Live) account and no matter what connection I'm using (wifi or 4g) my email gets delivered in a matter of seconds.

Please stop this nonsense.

That is all.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-10-13 02:47 PM
    Thank you. Finally someone does this.
    02-10-13 02:48 PM

I have a Z10, a Gmail, an exchange and a Hotmail (Live) account and no matter what connection I'm using (wifi or 4g) my email gets delivered in a matter of seconds.

That is all.

Same. Iv been wondering what all the talk was about.
    nappp likes this.
    02-10-13 02:50 PM
    That's great.

What about pop3 over BIS?
    02-10-13 02:50 PM

That is all.

correct those services get push mail....many others will not though such as pop3
    02-10-13 02:51 PM
    If you are using a pop3 (ancient) email account you can easily forward that account to one that supports push.

Spurge11 likes this.
    02-10-13 02:53 PM
    correct those services get push mail....many others will not though such as pop3
    pop3 was never really push to begin with... the RIM servers polled every 15 minutes for those accounts. The only difference is, is that now your phone does it instead.
    02-10-13 02:53 PM
    pop3 was never really push to begin with... the RIM servers polled every 15 minutes for those accounts. The only difference is, is that now your phone does it instead.
    yes, i think the problem is that RIM always marketed it as push since the phone wasnt doing the work. Somewhere along the line "push" and "instant" got mashed together
    agp101 and tHe.iR1sH like this.
    02-10-13 02:57 PM
    yes, i think the problem is that RIM always marketed it as push since the phone wasnt doing the work. Somewhere along the line "push" and "instant" got mashed together
    That and people never really understood "push" to begin with lol.
    02-10-13 02:58 PM
    That and people never really understood "push" to begin with lol.
    +1

02-10-13 02:59 PM
    You got it. My work still uses pop3 accounts and I've got 2 separate ones. I have them both on my phone and each works just fine.... as fine as a pop3 account can.
    02-10-13 03:02 PM
    I think the bottom line is for some people they will not notice any difference since activesync/exchange accounts still are "push" but there are other accounts that before with BIS that do not operate the same and are no longer "push." So while some people have the same capabilities others will not and for them, they no longer have "push."
    02-10-13 03:05 PM
    This is all very accurate information - which I don't think anyone who has read up on the subject is disputing.

The advantage for BIS users using POP3 (even if it did poll for mails every 15 minutes on RIMs end) was that there device wasn't polling - and push connections are much better for battery life than polling ones. There is some good reasons, but the main one is that idle TCP sockets do not use any packets to stay alive, which reduces the amount the radio is doing. Radio comms is battery intensive so should be avoided where possible. RIMs solution was to use a single connection to push information into the device, aggregating the data from multiple sources and using servers to do the polling, which is how they managed to get good battery life (or at least some of it)
    garnok, pungster and Jake2826 like this.
    02-10-13 03:11 PM
    This is all very accurate information - which I don't think anyone who has read up on the subject is disputing.

The advantage for BIS users using POP3 (even if it did poll for mails every 15 minutes on RIMs end) was that there device wasn't polling - and push connections are much better for battery life than polling ones. There is some good reasons, but the main one is that idle TCP sockets do not use any packets to stay alive, which reduces the amount the radio is doing. Radio comms is battery intensive so should be avoided where possible. RIMs solution was to use a single connection to push information into the device, aggregating the data from multiple sources and using servers to do the polling, which is how they managed to get good battery life (or at least some of it)
    Ten years ago, this would have made abundant sense. Now? There's SOOOO much traffic moving back and forth on any smartphone that the POP3 polling is really trivial. If you're saying that's absolutely the ONLY network traffic your phone is processing, then the larger battery and more efficient SoC more than make up for any benefit you might have had from BIS. It's a red herring.
    cjcampbell, Jake2826 and Jerry A like this.
    02-10-13 03:15 PM
    So the question remains. Can we set up the Z10 to use the BIS to "push" our pop3 account emails to the phone?

Or, is the phone doing the polling and "pulling" it in the only option.

That's the question that has yet to be definitively answered by someone from BlackBerry.

We hear people say that BIS is not gone for BB10, but no one tells us to what degree it is used.

I have BIS on my existing plan (AT&T). When I upgrade sometime around late April or early May, after activating the phone, if I go to the AT&T BIS portal web site, will I be able to detect the new device and have my email account populate itself on the phone?

A simple yes or no will do for that question. If not, I'll look into other options dealing with the on-phone polling.
    02-10-13 03:34 PM
    So the question remains. Can we set up the Z10 to use the BIS to "push" our pop3 account emails to the phone?

Or, is the phone doing the polling and "pulling" it in, using up more of the battery, the only option.

That's the question that has yet to be difinitively answered by someone from BlackBerry.

We hear people say that BIS is not gone for BB10, but no one tells us to what degree it is used.

I have BIS on my existing plan (AT&T). When I upgrade sometime around late April or early May, after activating the phone, if I go to the AT&T BIS portal web site, will I be able to detect the new device and have my email account populate itself on the phone?

A simple yes or no will do for that question. If not, I'll look into other options dealing with the on-phone polling.
    I am fairly confident (99%) that the answer is no.
    02-10-13 03:35 PM
    I am fairly confident (99%) that the answer is no.
    Pop3 accounts will not be pushed on blackberry 10. The phone will poll at a minimum interval of 15 minutes.

If you require push on a pop3 account you can forward that email to a push capable account.

The 15 minute polling is no different then what the BIS provided.

Thunderbuck likes this.
    02-10-13 03:43 PM

Or, is the phone doing the polling and "pulling" it in the only option.

That's the question that has yet to be definitively answered by someone from BlackBerry.

The answer is no, BIS no longer polls to push your pop3 accounts. You have the option to choose the polling intervals when setting up your account. I have 2 pop3 accounts on my phone, both set to 15 minutes intervals and it has not affected battery life.
    02-10-13 03:46 PM
    what RIM really market as "Push" - was their special [email protected]/net address - and PIN messages... anything sent to that special address would be "pushed" out to the device immediately. As Email services evolved with more features enabled and more efficient use of IMAP4 the BIS service was extended to allow a few more addresses.

But still - only the blackberry.et/com was really a "push" email from the beginning..
    02-10-13 04:50 PM

That is all.

Can you screenshot your gmail settings please? I want to set it up right when I get one as on my iphone I had to set gmail up as exchange to get push and the iphone gmail setting wasn't right. Thank you!
    02-10-13 05:04 PM
    I'm assuming then, that battery life would have to suffer because of the phone's doing the polling? Does anyone have a feel for how much difference polling every 15 minutes would have?

Edit: oops. Read rest of thread. Questioned answered. Sorry.
    02-10-13 06:01 PM
    I'm assuming then, that battery life would have to suffer because of the phone's doing the polling? Does anyone have a feel for how much difference polling every 15 minutes would have?
    I mentioned in a latter post that I have 2 pop3 accounts on my phone, both polling at 15 min intervals. While I haven't tried adjusting it to see if it would add to my battery life, I currently have 75% battery after 6 hours off the charger. Now I haven't had a ton of use today. Some BBM's, texts, a little browsing, a little over an hour of phone calls, and a bit more of other stuff, but I'd say that's alright by my standards.
    Revampd likes this.
    02-10-13 06:06 PM
    I don't ever recall BlackBerry marketing push email over BIS. I think we the consumers talked it up, as there were ways to accomplish this; but the only push email I ever saw BlackBerry marketing was BES/BESx.
    02-10-13 06:29 PM
    I don't mind forwarding my Rogers/Yahoo POP account to my gmail account to get instant notification, but there isn't a way to reply from the pop account... So my email [email protected] can be forwarded to [email protected] and it will come to my phone instantly, but when I reply to the email, I have to reply using my gmail account, not my rogers/yahoo account which is a problem for me...
    02-10-13 06:39 PM
    No share of the z10 gmail settings?
    02-10-13 06:42 PM
101 123 ...