Thanks for this. I have two Gmail and one hotmail address. Glad to know there will be no difference when I upgrade to a Z10, all the other topics were very long and confusing.
    As long as I can delete them from the phone, and have them stay on the server (which I believe I can) I am good to go.
    02-10-13 06:44 PM
    No share of the z10 gmail settings?
    Description : Gmail
    username: [email protected]
    email address: [email protected]
    update password:____
    server address: imap.gmail.com
    port:993
    encryption:ssl
    imap path prefix:___
    SMTP Username: [email protected]
    update SMTP password: _____
    SMTP server address: smtp.gmail.com
    SMTP port:465
    SMTP encryption: SSL
    Use push if supported: On
    Sync Interval: 15minutes

And I get my gmail emails right away
    sandmanfvr and quik4life like this.
    02-10-13 06:52 PM

Thank you. Did you chose imap in gmail setup?
    02-10-13 07:02 PM
    Nope the phone selected imap

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-10-13 07:12 PM

Note this is the best way to setup Email, but if you are also syncing your Calendar/Contacts this won't work because you Calendar will not have 2-way sync. Your Calendar will be read-only.

...Also this makes it look unnecessarily complicated, the only thing you need to enter is your email address and password it fills in everything else for you.

To resolve this Calendar issue: When you are setting up your email account as above on the last step do not select Contacts or Calendar. Then Set up the same account again as Exchange (Add Account - Advanced - Exchange). When you are setting this one up the only setting you need to know is the server is m.google.com everything else is automatic. Then on the last step don't have it sync email, but do have it sync Contacts & Calendar.
    Vorkosigan and 00stryder like this.
    02-10-13 07:29 PM
    That is not true. You people just need to stop it! Just select the gmail setup. Let it take all the defaults and be done... You get PUSH email, you get two-way contacts and two-way calendar.

Also, POP3 polling every 15 minutes is such a power sipper compared to everything else now days. Actually you could argue it is waaaaaayyy better than Blackberry's BIS POP3 crap. I tried it out once and thought it was terrible. Every 15 minutes and no way to force a refresh? Lol that is terrible! With BB10 you get 15 minutes, and you can swipe down to force a refresh. I honestly can't fathom what all the whining about is.

BB10 has the absolutely best support for PIM sync. It even supports ActiveSync, which by the way is one of the single most reasons BlackBerry crashed in a BYOD corporate culture, and small businesses. Nobody wanted to install BES.
    02-10-13 08:28 PM
    I've got a Gmail account and my emails are most certainly not showing up right away.

Case in point - I just used my Z10's browser to order a SIM card from Roam Mobility. I received two emails from Roam Mobility at 7:20. I heard them arrive on my Nexus 7 almost immediately. After 10 minutes the emails still had not arrived on my Z10. So I hit refresh on the Z10, and they still didn't show. At 7:41 they finally showed.

I love my Z10, but I'm finding this Gmail delay very frustrating. I simply cannot fathom why my emails are lagging while others are getting theirs right away.

02-10-13 08:55 PM
    Well, I have a Playbook with very similar software, and it's setup with IMAP, not ActiveSync and it is instant with Gmail. No delay... And it sounds like most people are having success with IMAP too... So, I wonder what is wrong with your setup? Did you allow the Z10 to setup everything for you? Or did you try and go to the advanced settings? It seems most people go wrong by going advanced.
    02-10-13 09:03 PM
    That is not true. You people just need to stop it! Just select the gmail setup. Let it take all the defaults and be done... You get PUSH email, you get two-way contacts and two-way calendar.

Also, POP3 polling every 15 minutes is such a power sipper compared to everything else now days. Actually you could argue it is waaaaaayyy better than Blackberry's BIS POP3 crap. I tried it out once and thought it was terrible. Every 15 minutes and no way to force a refresh? Lol that is terrible! With BB10 you get 15 minutes, and you can swipe down to force a refresh. I honestly can't fathom what all the whining about is.

BB10 has the absolutely best support for PIM sync. It even supports ActiveSync, which by the way is one of the single most reasons BlackBerry crashed in a BYOD corporate culture, and small businesses. Nobody wanted to install BES.
    Are you referring to me saying "That is not True"? Is so then yes it is. When I (and others) set up Gmail via IMAP it only allows you to add appointments to the Local Calendar not the Gmail calendar. Exchange setup solves this.
    02-10-13 09:14 PM
    Can anyone help me with getting Yahoo to push? Right now it is just syncing every 15 minutes. I would prefer to just have my email push to my phone and not to sync between my phone and my email account (so that, for instance, I can delete an email on my phone but still have it when I log into my email account).
    02-10-13 09:21 PM
    Well, I have a Playbook with very similar software, and it's setup with IMAP, not ActiveSync and it is instant with Gmail. No delay... And it sounds like most people are having success with IMAP too... So, I wonder what is wrong with your setup? Did you allow the Z10 to setup everything for you? Or did you try and go to the advanced settings? It seems most people go wrong by going advanced.
    I deleted my account and re-added it and voila, emails started showing up immediately. I must have done something in the advanced settings without realizing it. Thanks for the tip.

lubaxe likes this.
    02-10-13 09:26 PM
    Can anyone help me with getting Yahoo to push? Right now it is just syncing every 15 minutes. I would prefer to just have my email push to my phone and not to sync between my phone and my email account (so that, for instance, I can delete an email on my phone but still have it when I log into my email account).
    Yahoo does *not* support IMAP-IDLE. Yahoo uses a proprietary protocol and it appears that they requires device manufactures to cooperate with them to make it work (for example, push using Yahoo was only introduced on the iPhone after Apple and Yahoo made a deal). Please see: Push-IMAP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please write to Yahoo telling them that you want them to support IMAP-IDLE or make their version of "push" available for BlackBerry 10 or you'll switch to a better email provider (Gmail, Outlook.com, etc). Consider using a service that supports push email based on open standards for email for which you need push.
    spike12 likes this.
    02-10-13 09:35 PM
    Thank you....I have already sent them an email and am just waiting to hear back. My web guy has been trying to convince me to switch email providers for a while now and this may be what causes me to finally give in.
    02-10-13 09:44 PM
    Thank you....I have already sent them an email and am just waiting to hear back. My web guy has been trying to convince me to switch email providers for a while now and this may be what causes me to finally give in.
    You're welcome! Yes, Yahoo Mail does have things going for it and against it but there are better options overall. In your transition, this will be important: Unless your Yahoo Mail account is a Plus account or comes from AT&T or another paying client that allows forwarding, your Yahoo Mail account will not allow email forwarding to your new email address unlike Google Gmail, Microsoft Outlook.com and Apple iCloud. This makes your switch a bit more difficult. Please look for a service that lets you collect messages from Yahoo via POP or IMAP. This should be possible in Gmail, Outlook.com and other more fully featured services.
    02-10-13 10:54 PM
    I do pay for Yahoo Plus so the forwarding should be ok. My main concern is that I am in real estate and my email address is advertised so it will just take longer to make a clean break from the Yahoo account. I would prefer if Yahoo would make it work because I have not had problems with Yahoo and it has worked really well for me over the years.

Right now all of my addresses are forwarded to Yahoo and my web guy is wanting me to switch over to using Google Apps and using an address that has my domain name in it as opposed to a generic Yahoo address. Maybe he wins but I will let you know what Yahoo has to say once they get back to me.
    02-10-13 11:02 PM
    So you picked "imap" and not "gmail" in setup?
    02-10-13 11:03 PM
    keep in mind that if you are having problems with your email not coming in properly, removing the account and then adding the account back in, fixes it over 90% of the time. Its just like restarting a computer.
    02-10-13 11:07 PM
    Just type in your gmail address. Don't go to advance. Let it setup everything for you. Everything will be PUSH 2-way goodness. People run into trouble when they go into those advanced options.
    02-10-13 11:07 PM
    Some good reading can be found here as well - http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-email-769775/

Not directly related to push but rather BIS which, clearly some people also never understood to begin with.
    02-10-13 11:28 PM
    BB10 supports push email - stop the nonsense
    It does support it, true. But....for folks like me who have a swbell or sbcglobal Pop Email account, we no longer have that instant push email as on our 9900 or earlier BlackBerry devices. I personally always thought that was a BlackBerry advantage.
    02-10-13 11:54 PM
    I do pay for Yahoo Plus so the forwarding should be ok. My main concern is that I am in real estate and my email address is advertised so it will just take longer to make a clean break from the Yahoo account. I would prefer if Yahoo would make it work because I have not had problems with Yahoo and it has worked really well for me over the years.

Right now all of my addresses are forwarded to Yahoo and my web guy is wanting me to switch over to using Google Apps and using an address that has my domain name in it as opposed to a generic Yahoo address. Maybe he wins but I will let you know what Yahoo has to say once they get back to me.
    If you have someone who's willing to support Google Apps and you are already have your own domain, then you may want to do the switch. You won't regret it. Google does a pretty good job with Apps (I have my own preferences but it really is a good product). Using Google Apps for direct, push access makes sense and Google Apps Email *can* pull in the email messages sent to your Yahoo address in the meantime. In fact, Google Apps Email (and Gmail) will even let you email "from" your Yahoo address within its interface.
    IMDCHAMP likes this.
    02-10-13 11:57 PM
    It does support it, true. But....for folks like me who have a swbell or sbcglobal Pop Email account, we no longer have that instant push email as on our 9900 or earlier BlackBerry devices. I personally always thought that was a BlackBerry advantage.
    You can now do instant push on BlackBerry 10 with a free Gmail (through IMAP-IDLE) or Outlook.com account (through EAS). You can use these accounts on Windows, Mac and non-BlackBerry devices unlike the BlackBerry Hosted email address. To make this transition easier, BlackBerry lets you forward your BlackBerry Hosted email address for a year to your new push-capable, also at no charge. See: BlackBerry offering one year of forwarding services for BlackBerry.net email accounts | CrackBerry.com
    shinerb likes this.
    02-11-13 12:01 AM
    It was never instant on the 9900 to begin with, BIS servers polled your email servers' provider every 15 minutes and sent those messages to your device, if they were there when the poll interval occurred, the only difference between then an now is that your device will the polling
    02-11-13 12:09 AM
    That isn't the case. I can send an email to my swbell account from another email address and it will almost instantly be in my inbox (within seconds). It wouldn't take up to 15 minutes, ever.
    02-11-13 12:20 AM
    That isn't the case. I can send an email to my swbell account from another email address and it will almost instantly be in my inbox (within seconds). It wouldn't take up to 15 minutes, ever.
    This *is* true. shinerb was talking about his BlackBerry Hosted email (carrier.blackberry.com/.net) and email messages sent to BlackBerry Hosted email addresses ARE delivered by push and appear nearly instantaneously. However, you should find that a properly working IMAP-IDLE or EAS email service works nearly as fast and in some scenarios, faster.
    02-11-13 12:30 AM
101 1234 ...