Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By joeldf
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BB10 (still) require an Exchange service fee?

My workplace is getting more and more intolerant of my blackberry.

They will not purchase the RIM service that will allow my blackberry to interact with microsoft Exchange. I'm not at all sure how that works.... but I do know that my iPhone, Android and Windows co-workers have no issues wirelessly syncing their calendars with the workplace Calendar through Exchange.

So, is it going to be the same deal with BB10? Meaning, will I still be unable to wirelessly sync to their Windows Live / outlook type calendar?

Thanks
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

Default Re: BB10 (still) require an Exchange service fee?

BB10 will support ActiveSync so you will be able to get your email, calendar, contacts, etc from Exchange like your co-workers.
    The only fee that will be required is an Exchange license, but I assume your company licenses per user and not per device so you should be good to go.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

So, this will be some sort of extra added BB10 nicety, then, right?

Because I am told that I am out of luck with my 9930.

Just making sure we're talking about the same thing!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

its how BB10 will connect to exchange now. either direct to exchange or though the mobile fusion services that's replacing the bes. both run on activesync.

there ARE ways to connect your 99 to exchange with either activesync apps or if your company uses owa I believe it can connect though that, but only emails.

Global Posts
    5,284 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

There is software called AstraSync that will let current BBOS phones connect to Exchange, too.

"Max Power doesn't 'cuddle'! You strap yourself in and feel the Gs!"
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Astrasync... I'm checking that out.

So, if I stay with my 9930, astrasync looks to be the way to go for a really nice sync service. (it might even make google calendar/email syncing even better)

However, going to 0S10, I will not need astrasync or anything, right? (I'm on BIS... not BES)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Cntdwn View Post
    its how BB10 will connect to exchange now. either direct to exchange or though the mobile fusion services that's replacing the bes. both run on activesync.

there ARE ways to connect your 99 to exchange with either activesync apps or if your company uses owa I believe it can connect though that, but only emails.
    Does the mobile fusion service enable the "balance" feature ? I don`t see any reason why it wouldn`t. But for all i`ve read it`s only for BES.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Badabaeng View Post
    Does the mobile fusion service enable the "balance" feature ? I don`t see any reason why it wouldn`t. But for all i`ve read it`s only for BES.
    yes. the bds portion of fusion enables balance. I have it on my pb right now...that I'm typing from.

bds is the blackberry device service to control pb and bb10. uds is universal device services that controll ios and android.

fusion is the console that pulls info from bds, uds, and bes.

bes10 will replace fusion that will control all 3, not just pull info...as all 3 right now are managed from differnt consoles and servers.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thanks for the reply. But i should have made my research before posting. I didn t know what that "blackberry fusion" actually is. Of course there is "balance" available with "fusion". But there is no "fusion" without BES. I thought i could get "balance" without BES at all.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Currently I connect to my work email via OWA. I chose this method because I didn’t want to relinquish control of my 9900 to our IT department. I assume BB10 will still be able to connect to OWA even though I know that with Balance, both IT and myself will have what we want.
    What exactly would be involved to connect via Exchange?

Global Posts
    5,284 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Quote Originally Posted by Dougielas View Post
    Currently I connect to my work email via OWA. I chose this method because I didn’t want to relinquish control of my 9900 to our IT department. I assume BB10 will still be able to connect to OWA even though I know that with Balance, both IT and myself will have what we want.
    What exactly would be involved to connect via Exchange?
    There's a fairly big caveat regarding Exchange on BB10: the IT department needs to actually expose it publicly. Not all do.

Past that, as long as iPhones or Androids can connect to your employer's Exchange server, BB10 or PlayBook can connect the same way.

"Max Power doesn't 'cuddle'! You strap yourself in and feel the Gs!"
    Thanked by:
    Dougielas (01-19-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    There's a fairly big caveat regarding Exchange on BB10: the IT department needs to actually expose it publicly. Not all do.

Past that, as long as iPhones or Androids can connect to your employer's Exchange server, BB10 or PlayBook can connect the same way.
    Thats why i would love to have balance without BES. I just could make another outlook.com email for my work reladet emails and forward them to that account. Do not why but i trust EAS the same way i trust blackberry server security policies.
    CrackBerry Genius

From what's been said around here, Balance only kicks in with Mobile Fusion or BES 10. Not when setting up the connection to an Exchange account.

I think RIM is missing an opportunity here. A lot of smaller companies dumped BES a long time ago - about the time iPhone added EAS natively, making the cost of BES seem like an extraneous expense that can finally be cut. Those companies aren't going to bring BES back, so even if employees decide to go for the new BB10 phones, they won't get the benefit of this "Balance" that RIM will no doubt be making a big deal about.

Joel
    anon5398027 likes this.