Hello all, I recently decided that it may be a good idea to wipe my Passport and start over from fresh since I've been experiencing some odd lag or freezing issues as of late. I suspected an app at first cause some apps would freeze also but maybe it was starving for RAM? In preparation I created folders on my SD Card in the photo folder to keep all the pictures from my device organized and easily accessible. I did the same for Downloads and Documents and so on if needed.

After moving all the files to the SD card I knew I would be ready to do the wipe at any time I found convenient in the up coming days. During those days I realized that the freezing had gone and it was working way way better. The results were immediate and there is no mistaking that there must have been a file that was causing an issue. Perhaps when you save a picture to the Picture folder and you have that app open with so many pictures in it, it may have to index them all and consume system resources slowing down the phone. I don't know for sure but it is working like it did a year ago.

If anyone has some lag issues try this and see, but try to get as much off the device to the SD Card as possible
    Good Luck and Happy New Year

Posted via CB10
    kbalaz and anon(5597702) like this.
    01-02-17 08:10 AM
    Apparently the OS has no TRIM command support, which means its flash storage can't really garbage collect and slows down over time. Wiping and reloading the OS clears the flash storage manually, which is why everything feels "snappier" (ugh) after doing so. That you've moved stuff off of the internal storage and onto external is probably why it feels faster; less reading off of the clogged internal storage.
    01-02-17 10:21 AM
    Apparently the OS has no TRIM command support, which means its flash storage can't really garbage collect and slows down over time. Wiping and reloading the OS clears the flash storage manually, which is why everything feels "snappier" (ugh) after doing so. That you've moved stuff off of the internal storage and onto external is probably why it feels faster; less reading off of the clogged internal storage.
    I haven't had any slowdowns, lags or freezing for the past one and half year. Why is it so? But, my Android does and slows down within a period of 4-6 months. I feel BB10 does things much better than the droid OS. I.e wrt memory allocation and it's management. I maybe wrong, but this is what I feel.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-17 10:39 AM
    I haven't had any slowdowns, lags or freezing for the past one and half year. Why is it so? But, my Android does and slows down within a period of 4-6 months. I feel BB10 does things much better than the droid OS. I.e wrt memory allocation and it's management. I maybe wrong, but this is what I feel.

Posted via CB10
    It depends how much you use the internal storage; the fewer writes the better.
    01-02-17 10:55 AM
    Hmmm, is a way to do this without a wipe? Wiping is an extra hassle for me because I need to have my work account reactivated, although it may come down to trying a wipe if I cannot get another issue with the work account resolved.

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    01-02-17 12:17 PM
    From the QNX documentation for fs-qnx6.so - Shared object that supports the Power-Safe filesystem (QNX Neutrino)

trim=disable|enable|discard
    Disable or enable support for TRIM, or use discard instead.

A managed NAND block device can't overwrite in-place and has no idea of whether content in a block is even valid or meaningful to a mounted filesystem. So the management layers have no choice but to preserve all written content, which can be a lot of wear-leveling overhead if in fact those blocks belonged to say a deleted file, or if the partition was freshly formatted.

The TRIM command is thus a hint to the managed NAND device from the filesytem that certain sectors are no longer live and can be discarded (i.e., the content doesn't have to be preserved or copied by wear-leveling, and/or logical blocks can be erased rather than be reclaimed from elsewhere).

Using the discard option gives better performance than enabling trim. When the filesystem tells the driver to discard a set of blocks, the driver simply marks them as discarded and returns, queuing them up for garbage collection later. If the filesystem requests the driver to trim a set of blocks, they're cleaned immediately, which may result in heavy disk I/O, depending on the current state of the system. In the end they do the same thing, just with different timing.
    If forced to guess I would say that BB10 is using trim=discard rather than trim=enable. I can't imagine that they are using trim=disable. However which ever method they are using (discard or enable) NAND flash memory does need to be cleaned up and wear leveled. The fewer free blocks that are available and the more blocks that are in partial use (caused by frequendly writing then deleting small blocks of data) the longer the process is going to take and the less storage will be immediately available for servicing file system write requests. By moving a large number of files that are larger than the NAND block size from internal to external storage the wear leveling and clean up process will go much faster regardless of which method is used. If you are going to do a security wipe moving or deleting data from internal storage will also make this go much faster because a security wipe involves a lot of clean up of internal storage blocks. Simply put NAND flash file systems that see a lot of changes perform better with more free space to work with.
    Vistaus and The_Passporter like this.
    01-02-17 12:38 PM
    I'm really hot on using the device monitor (closing things down), using the cleaner app regularly and restarting the device every now and again....not because I HAVE to...but it's never felt slower than the day I got it a year down the line.

I use cobolts work around and android apk's too, and store almost everything on the memory card

Posted via CB10 - 9900 -Playbook- Q10 - Passport SE (1) - Passport SE (2)
    Vistaus and The_Passporter like this.
    01-02-17 01:53 PM
    Just to be clear I did not get to the wiping the phone part. I realized the snappier change and decided not to continue to wipe the phone and coast with it as is.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-17 07:07 PM
    I always save all that's possible on sd never used phone for any of my files but did try a media vault which would save the files to the device I did experience some lag with 3-4gb on the vault I deleted the vault and device felt better...passport

Red passport
    01-02-17 10:29 PM
    I always save all that's possible on sd never used phone for any of my files but did try a media vault which would save the files to the device I did experience some lag with 3-4gb on the vault I deleted the vault and device felt better...passport

Red passport
    One reason I do save all my photos and video's to my phone is to maximize picture quality. I took some video while on vacation and noticed some shuddering. I changed the setting from saving to SD card to saving to the Device and the shuddering went away. The card is an SanDisk 64 gb class ten Ultra U3. Every once in a while I just move everything over and it's good. Not too much work.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-17 04:46 AM