Who else feels that with all of the hardware specs that the 9930 has, it should be able to handle BB10 software?

Apple always releases the latest software updates to their old hardware so that everyone can enjoy the latest experience. Why doesn't RIM try doing this with BB10?

I want to get the 9930 because I really enjoy the hardware but I wish there was a way I'd be insured to have all the software benefits of BB10 when it's released. Also, if RIM made a habit of giving their old hardware, new software updates I think they would have less frustrated customers.
    04-04-12 04:30 PM
    Understand that BB10 is going to be something totally new. Apple has released software updates based on their original OS - they haven't put anything new out.

From what I understand the 99xx series will not run the BB10 software - but it doesn't make the 99xx series obsolete. If you want the 9930, then get it. When BB10 is released, you can see what you like about it, and if you do like it, sell your 9930 and get the new device. People will still want the 99xx series devices. And with BB10 being new, not everyone will want to jump on it right away - most will wait to see what bugs develop.
    anon2100101 likes this.
    04-04-12 04:36 PM
    I understand that it will be completely new and in a lot of ways I agree with you, I just think that most people who already have a 9930 will want to jump onboard with BB10 anyways but if RIM were to still allow 9900 and 9930 users to upgrade software to BB10 it would be a nice way to thank the users who tried helping them stay afloat in a time where RIM is struggling.

I guess I'm just disappointed that RIM doesn't reward their loyal, long time customers more.
    04-04-12 04:42 PM
    BB 10 OS will not work on Bold 99xx for two reasons;
    1. It is an independent system and it is totally new (current system use Java)

2. BB 10 is a very powerful OS which needs more power to run. I don't think current RIM smartphone have the hardware to meet the requirements.

Regrading Apple. This is the problem with the so called "popular crowd syndrome". Apple Inc did NOT change anything significant going from iPhone 3 to 4 to 4S. But thanks to their great marketing for mindless people, it to a revolution! For example, Apple Inc web site reads they "reinvented" the Siri. Why? because reinvented means Apple stole the idea from Palm, RIM, Microsoft and others. (It is called text-to-speech or voice commands or voice recognition, etc) The point is all Apple OS updates are marketing gimmicks and should be considered as minor changes to their good old OS.
    Last edited by mss-ca; 04-04-12 at 04:49 PM.
    anon2100101 likes this.
    04-04-12 04:46 PM
    I understand that it will be completely new and in a lot of ways I agree with you, I just think that most people who already have a 9930 will want to jump onboard with BB10 anyways but if RIM were to still allow 9900 and 9930 users to upgrade software to BB10 it would be a nice way to thank the users who tried helping them stay afloat in a time where RIM is struggling.

I guess I'm just disappointed that RIM doesn't reward their loyal, long time customers more.
    You posted this while I was tying a response to this thread. Anyway, RIM can't do anything for us because of the limitations in hardware such as the processor in Bold 99xx. It is not something they can "fix" with an OS update.
    04-04-12 04:48 PM
    I know that's why previous phones couldn't update to OS7 but I thought maybe with all of the hardware updates that the OS7 phones received, such as a faster processor and more RAM then maybe those phones could handle BB10 but the point about the use of Java would be a limitation that I didn't think about.
    04-04-12 04:50 PM
    I know that's why previous phones couldn't update to OS7 but I thought maybe with all of the hardware updates that the OS7 phones received, such as a faster processor and more RAM then maybe those phones could handle BB10 but the point about the use of Java would be a limitation that I didn't think about.
    Oh ya... the Java and the Processor is the huge problem here.... Plus I am sure given the awesome history of RIM products, first few phones will have major OS and hardware bugs and then hopefully the next wave of BB 10 phones will fix those issues. I would NOT buy a BB 10 device as soon as they hit the market because RIM is famous in Canada for screwing things up when they come up with something revolutionary.
    04-04-12 05:01 PM
    OP, just think how OS5 and OS6 users feel.
    04-04-12 05:27 PM
    With how popular the "bold" is I would think that rim would make a BB 10 device similar to the current bold.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    04-04-12 06:05 PM
    Having a brand new OS on an old phone is a bad idea. If it runs slow (which I'm sure it will) people will complain about it. If they don't complain and show it off to others, they might notice how slow it is and be turned off.

If you really want BB10 I would wait to upgrade or do it yesterday so your early upgrade cost will be lower. Thats what I did. I upgraded knowing I will be looking at the BB10 with keyboard. I figure that it will be out next year sometime. With getting into the 9810 a few months early I will be looking at a year or so on my contract when the phone comes out. At that point I might do the early upgrade again if the phone excites me enough.

James
    04-04-12 06:40 PM
    I have no doubt that a slimed down version of the BB10 os would run just fine on the Bold 99xx. Problem here is with it having hardware buttons vs the new interface it would never run correctly unless it was tailored to the existing phones. some things would have to be ran differently within the OS itself I'm sure due to having only a single core processor as well.

So in a nutshell, there is a lot of work that needs done to ready BB10 for new devices. Now it would be another job to get it stripped down for current handhelds. Not only does RIM need to sell these new phones, but I doubt they have the time and manpower to prepare another version for current BlackBerry devices.

I really don't think it has anything to do with Java. Its what BB7 and those before it run on. Java is software, not hardware and if I can delete ot off my PC at home, then it can be wiped from a BB and thus be replaced with a new OS. So if that whole OS was replaced with BB10, then i don't see haw Java would have anything to do with it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using the CB forums app.
    Last edited by axllebeer; 04-04-12 at 07:08 PM.
    04-04-12 07:01 PM
    I think if bb10 is completely new, nobody want to buy it, because the software must be very few! and bb10 may be touch screen, many people choose bb is because the keyboard. Rim never consider about clients' necessary. I just want a mobile looks cool with keyboard and enough software. rim should try his best to program more useful software, but not new system, os 7 is good enough. "we need tool but not toy" is a excuse.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-04-12 09:48 PM
    Lack of RAM and space for OS are valid reasons why BB10 MAY not be able to run on 99x0. But Java? That's software, guys, and that's what they are supposed to update The cpu should also be strong enough to run at a decent level. Only reason not should be a dual core DEMAND, but I highly doubt that.

Other than that, I am somewhat disappointed that RIM seems to have given up on all the current mobile devices. What kind of a signal is that? "Our current range is so outdated, that we can't be bothered with it anymore. BlackBerry will be fine once we hit BB10 and EVERYONE upgrades". I think that's more or less what they said, when not celebrating the app stores 2 year birthday. Or did I misunderstand something?
    04-05-12 05:15 AM
    it has been stated "No" many times.. next thread..........
    04-05-12 05:48 AM
    If you can get a device like the 99XX series and RIM provides timely upgrades for it for the normal 2yr lifespan (carrier contract) then consider yourself a lucky consumer. This notion of getting any device and expecting upgrades after upgrades for the next 3-5 yrs for it is ludicrous. I had a Sprint Curve 8330 for over 2yrs and kept waiting for Sprint and BlackBerry to release a viable upgrade from the 8330. I have my Bold 9930 until 08/21/13, and I'll happily enjoy it until the contract ends. By then either RIM will have BB OS10 optimized or it will face dimize. either way in late summer 2013, there will be some great devices to choose from: iphone 6, HTC's latest EVO, Samsung's latest Galaxy and hopfully RIM's latest BB 10 Bold. So again, just enjoy what you have now.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    04-05-12 07:11 AM
    This notion of getting any device and expecting upgrades after upgrades for the next 3-5 yrs for it is ludicrous.
    That's what the competition offers. The almost 3 years old iPhone 3GS received an update a month ago...
    And to the best of my knowledge the 99x0 is nowhere near 3-5 years old?
    04-05-12 02:44 PM
    BB 10 OS will not work on Bold 99xx for two reasons;
    1. It is an independent system and it is totally new (current system use Java)

2. BB 10 is a very powerful OS which needs more power to run. I don't think current RIM smartphone have the hardware to meet the requirements.
    Your first point is true but irrelevant. It doesnt matter what language an OS is written in, as long as it is compiled for a compatible architecture. As long as RIM doesnt change their architecture for BB10 phones it would be theoretically possible to run on OS 7 devices (but not realistically possible if RIM doesnt write it to run on BB7 devices (screen resolution and drivers would be the issue here)). The processor thats in the 99xx devices is capable of running Android 4.0, but android isnt written to be used with out hardware, so nothing would work.

Your second point might be true, but it might not. As ive said, the processor in our 99xx devices is capable of running the latest android OS, and is quite powerful. However it only has a single core, and dual core might be needed for BB10. However a dual core requirnment would be absurd and screams innefficient, but if BB10 isnt released for older devices innefficiency wouldnt really matter (except that battery life wont be as good as it could).

All this being said, what it really comes down to is whether RIM is writing BB10 with backwards compatability in mind. However, given their track record of releasing generations of devices and the fact that theyre trying to totally revamp the BlackBerry i highly doubt we will ever see BB10 on BB7 devices, eventhough they are capable of running it. What i havent said anything about is RAM, which is the one thing that would hold our devices back. I expect BB10 devices to have 2GB of RAM which is roughly 3 times what weve got.

My thoughts on the situation are that it really doesnt matter to me. Our devices are running a tried and true OS with every feature one could want and time tested stability. Plus it runs just fine. It would be nice to be able to run android apps and the hopefully larger app library that will come along with BB10, but we have great phones.

(sorry for the spelling errors that are probably in this post, spell check isnt working on my ipad right now.... Should have gotten a playbook )
    04-05-12 06:52 PM
    Who else feels that with all of the hardware specs that the 9930 has, it should be able to handle BB10 software?

Apple always releases the latest software updates to their old hardware so that everyone can enjoy the latest experience. Why doesn't RIM try doing this with BB10?

I want to get the 9930 because I really enjoy the hardware but I wish there was a way I'd be insured to have all the software benefits of BB10 when it's released. Also, if RIM made a habit of giving their old hardware, new software updates I think they would have less frustrated customers.
    Agreed. Their customer base would have a reason to be loyal, bcos RIM "takes care" of their customers and doesn't leave them behind.
    04-05-12 06:58 PM
    OS7 already has it's problems with apps.

I can't imagine how lean the apps will be with OS 10 when it is released.

You'll probably WANT to hang onto OS7.
    04-05-12 07:21 PM
    you are being delusional

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-05-12 08:45 PM
    I'd venture a guess that most users do the OTA upgrades anymore and probably never use DM, etc. I don't know about you, but I doubt it would be that easy to write the code necessary to convert the OS on the blackberry from a Java based to a Linux based one. Not to mention the size of the download needed to make that happen. Toss in the fact I'm betting BB10 doesn't use the same file system that the current OS uses, and you'd have an absolute mess to deal with.
    04-05-12 11:10 PM
    [irony]It is also nearly impossible to install linux on a pc running windows. You would have to convert all of the C and C++ of windows into linux and the file system is different too, making it a mess. The drivers will have to be rewritten and that is close to impossible. That is why no windows pc is able to run linux. Nothing else to do, but to buy new hardware, if you want to run linux. [/irony]

Come on, guys. Don't be so eager to invent reasons why BB10 can't run on current hardware. Lack of ram and storage for the OS could get in the way, but if no one even expects RIM to give it a try, then why would they?
    Last edited by sbcdk; 04-10-12 at 06:25 AM.
    04-10-12 01:12 AM

Purchase the Bold99XX! RIM doesnt plan a BB10 device with physical keyboard in 2012! So if you want to own BB10 at the end of the year (maybe!) you have to accept a full touchscreen device a la iPhone... I love the Bold-keyboard an will accept some disadvantages (in comparision with the grandiose announced specs of the godly BB10) and will held my Bold! I�m not interested in an iPhone 3 1/2 made by RIM! :-) If RIM continues there way of halfhearted development like in OS7 I�m sure, that we "Bold-user" will be glad to have still the OS7, while all the "proud" BB10-owner will be busy with all the teething-troubles of there phones...
    04-10-12 01:34 AM
    Your first point is true but irrelevant. It doesnt matter what language an OS is written in, as long as it is compiled for a compatible architecture. As long as RIM doesnt change their architecture for BB10 phones it would be theoretically possible to run on OS 7 devices (but not realistically possible if RIM doesnt write it to run on BB7 devices (screen resolution and drivers would be the issue here)). The processor thats in the 99xx devices is capable of running Android 4.0, but android isnt written to be used with out hardware, so nothing would work.

Your second point might be true, but it might not. As ive said, the processor in our 99xx devices is capable of running the latest android OS, and is quite powerful. However it only has a single core, and dual core might be needed for BB10. However a dual core requirnment would be absurd and screams innefficient, but if BB10 isnt released for older devices innefficiency wouldnt really matter (except that battery life wont be as good as it could).

All this being said, what it really comes down to is whether RIM is writing BB10 with backwards compatability in mind. However, given their track record of releasing generations of devices and the fact that theyre trying to totally revamp the BlackBerry i highly doubt we will ever see BB10 on BB7 devices, eventhough they are capable of running it. What i havent said anything about is RAM, which is the one thing that would hold our devices back. I expect BB10 devices to have 2GB of RAM which is roughly 3 times what weve got.

My thoughts on the situation are that it really doesnt matter to me. Our devices are running a tried and true OS with every feature one could want and time tested stability. Plus it runs just fine. It would be nice to be able to run android apps and the hopefully larger app library that will come along with BB10, but we have great phones.

(sorry for the spelling errors that are probably in this post, spell check isnt working on my ipad right now.... Should have gotten a playbook )
    To port an OS onto a hardware platform requires a compiler and device drivers. Given there is a JVM for the blackberry hardware, there is a obviously a compiler. The JVM also knows how to talk to the hardware there are device drivers. I doubt it would be technically challenging to port OS 10 onto the existing hardware. The issue is whether RIM will port OS 10 onto the existing hardware, not could they port it onto the existing hardware. Only RIM knows if they will do that.

Android could also relatively easily be ported onto the existing hardware as well. The existing OS 7 phones have as much or more hardware capability as many android phones. The issue again is who would do it. Surely not RIM.

Regarding the amount of RAM, current smartphones have in the range of 512 MB to 1 GB. The Galaxy Nexus, which is the state of the art has 1 GB. I hope OS 10 doesn't require 2 GB of ram, considering that Android is happy with 1 GB or less.

As for your idea that the existing blackberry phones "are running a tried and true OS with every feature one could want and time tested stability" is frankly the same delusion that RIM senior management has, which has pushed the company to the brink of death. If blackberry phones truly had every feature one could want, RIM would not be dying. There is an old adage in technology, "That which is not moving ahead is moving backwards." If you compare Apple, android and windows phone to BBOS, it's pretty obvious which ones are moving ahead and which is not.
    04-10-12 01:42 AM
    It is also nearly impossible to install linux on a pc running windows. You would have to convert all of the C and C++ of windows into linux and the file system is different too, making it a mess. The drivers will have to be rewritten and that is close to impossible. That is why no windows pc is able to run linux. Nothing else to do, but to buy new hardware, if you want to run linux.

Come on, guys. Don't be so eager to invent reasons why BB10 can't run on current hardware. Lack of ram and storage for the OS could get in the way, but if no one even expects RIM to give it a try, then why would they?
    Please tell me you forgot the smilies.

For anyone who thinks you're being serious, you can easily run linux on any pc, installed natively, booted off a USB stick or even as a guest os running in a virtual machine on top of windows. You can even install another virtual machine in the virtual linux and run windows in it. vmware has been ported onto android to run multiple guest OSes, one for personal calls, one for company calls.

There is no technical reason why the existing JVM could not be hosted in OS 10 and there is no reason why OS 10 could not be run on existing hardware. The only question is will RIM devote the resources to do it. My guess is no, because they will want to focus their efforts to get OS 10 running on one hardware platform because they lack resources and because they will want to sell more hardware. I hope they prove me wrong.
    04-10-12 01:56 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD