Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BB10 Screen Brightness Scrubber

Did a search and didnít see this brought up yet, but if it has sorry.

I really think the quick-access option screen you get to when swiping down from the top bezel when on the BB10 home screen should have a screen brightness scrubber. Having this quick access is something that I use most on my PlayBook and when itís the middle of the night, in your pitch black room, it can be painful to have to open up settings, go to display, and then be able to dim the screen all the way down. I know there is a the ambient light sensor that automatically adjusts screen brightness, but that only goes so far and when you want that screen dimmed all the way down that quick access is great. Also, the final version might already have this, but the newest screen shots Iíve seen (below) didnít so I figured I would try to post here and maybe get some attention for it. Or even better, would be the ability to select what you want displayed on the quick-access pull down so that some users could have it others don't have to. Could then add and remove other toggles like, Alarm, NFC, etc. as you want.

BB10 Screen Brightness Scrubber-bb10-quick-access.jpg
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,167 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Well ideally that is what Bedside mode is for. To auto adjust when charging for night use. Removing from bedside mode alters the brightness. I do like the idea of customizing it though. That could be very useful. (could also use the "mute" button on the side as a convenience key likely.)
    ~S_A
    All views and opinions here are my own, and do not represent any views, opinions, or official communications either actual or implied of my employer.
    CrackBerry Abuser

They will likely have a light sensor on the phones as they do with all the other blackberries that will auto-dim in the dark. As far as a quick way to adjust brightness, maybe it will be similar to the way that you do it on the playbook, by pressing the battery icon, or by pressing the power button on the exterior of the phone.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    298 Global Posts

I must say, I use the bright/dim adjuster on the PB regularly, and lease once or twice a day! It'd be nice to have quick quick access to it
    CrackBerry Abuser

I agree, the brightness adjustment on the settings quick access would be great. IIRC you need to swipe/tap 4 times before getting to the scrubber right now, I wish the adjustment is more prominent.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    PIN

I am surprised they didn't put this on. Please RIM, I hope you see this
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask

I really hope they have this.. would be great it movie theatres ahah!
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,167 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyFish View Post
    I agree, the brightness adjustment on the settings quick access would be great. IIRC you need to swipe/tap 4 times before getting to the scrubber right now, I wish the adjustment is more prominent.
    Swipe down, tap settings, tap display, adjust scrubber as needed.

Or
    Tap settings icon, tap display, adjust scrubber as needed.
    ~S_A
    All views and opinions here are my own, and do not represent any views, opinions, or official communications either actual or implied of my employer.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
    Swipe down, tap settings, tap display, adjust scrubber as needed.

Or
    Tap settings icon, tap display, adjust scrubber as needed.
    On the PlayBook it’s the same amount of steps to go to setting > screen > brightness, but they still saw the value in putting the brightness-scrubber in a quick access location. I’m hoping they do the same for BB10 handhelds. I know I use it a lot and I don’t think I’m the only one.
    CrackBerry Genius

Not a big deal for me. I always have the screen dimmed all the way. BlackBerry phones tend to have highly visible screens in any setting.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Quote Originally Posted by Masahiro View Post
    Not a big deal for me. I always have the screen dimmed all the way. BlackBerry phones tend to have highly visible screens in any setting.
    That’s true for the older BlackBerrys. My 9900 doesn’t have a huge difference whether the screen is set to 10 or 100, but from what I’ve seen on the Dev Alpha, is that there is a far greater variance available for screen brightness
    CrackBerry Abuser

Seriously? My Z10 is at 100% and I can't even watch a video in the dark due to the ambient sensor killing it. Even in a lit room, unless held to the light, the screen is just too dull, with faded colours and yellow/grey whites. I wish I had the Z10 you're using...
    CrackBerry Abuser

From 0-60% the brightness barely changes. At 100% my old 9800 torch and first gen Iphone embarrass it for brightness. Got a replacement coming from O2.
    Thanked by:
    jakie55 (02-03-2013) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts
    PIN
    5011QNX6

I'll add 3 4 requests to this: bring PB style lock/stand-by/shut down/restart buttons to drop-down menu. I think the whole idea was to minimize the use of hardware buttons, at least for PB.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by borceg View Post
    I'll add 3 4 requests to this: bring PB style lock/stand-by/shut down/restart buttons to drop-down menu. I think the whole idea was to minimize the use of hardware buttons, at least for PB.
    Not sure if you're aware, but you can simply hold the Power button for 1s to see all those options.

Having multiple ways to do some of these things would just clutter the user interface... although in future we may see some more ability to customize that menu, which would be handy for some.
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts
    PIN
    5011QNX6

Quote Originally Posted by peter9477 View Post
    Not sure if you're aware, but you can simply hold the Power button for 1s to see all those options.

Having multiple ways to do some of these things would just clutter the user interface... although in future we may see some more ability to customize that menu, which would be handy for some.
    I'm aware of power button, but for me it's more convenient to use software one instead. Dear PlayBook, it's your fault
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by grreyes24 View Post
    Did a search and didn’t see this brought up yet, but if it has sorry.

I really think the quick-access option screen you get to when swiping down from the top bezel when on the BB10 home screen should have a screen brightness scrubber. Having this quick access is something that I use most on my PlayBook and when it’s the middle of the night, in your pitch black room, it can be painful to have to open up settings, go to display, and then be able to dim the screen all the way down. I know there is a the ambient light sensor that automatically adjusts screen brightness, but that only goes so far and when you want that screen dimmed all the way down that quick access is great. Also, the final version might already have this, but the newest screen shots I’ve seen (below) didn’t so I figured I would try to post here and maybe get some attention for it. Or even better, would be the ability to select what you want displayed on the quick-access pull down so that some users could have it others don't have to. Could then add and remove other toggles like, Alarm, NFC, etc. as you want.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB10 - Quick Access.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	128955
    I'm with you on this. I adjust my brightness on my playbook all the time. This would be a quick and easy way to access it without being too intrusive into what i was currently doing
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    230 Global Posts

I'd like it if they copy Samsung on this. On Samsung Androids, you slide your finger across the notification bar to change the screen brightness. All the way left is lowest brightness, all the way right is highest. Cyanogen mod also does that. It works very well.
    CrackBerry User

I also miss the quick access to the screen brightness. The idea of a customizable pull down settings screen is great. Would be cool to be able to activate airplane mode from there also.

Posted via CB10