I am very very confused about BB10 connectivity to work e-mail and sync with PIM functions. To begin with: I use Blackberry 9790 (OS 7.1) connected to my work's Blackberry server BES EXPRESS. I have a BIS plan. I use OTA Enterprise Activation to setup my Blackberry (IT gives a password, and so on). The sync is real time (even faster than MS Outlook). Sync E-mails (all folders), Calendar, Contacts, Tasks etc. in real time (instantaneously). My workplace do not have BB10 server. My questions are:

1. Suppose my workplace decide not to upgrade to BB10 server (quite possible since everyone is switching to iPhone/Android). Can I still do an OTA Enterprise Activation in Z10 or Q10 with my BIS plan to connect to the BES EXPRESS server?

2. Suppose my workplace do decide to upgrade to BB10 server. Will there be an Express server? Can I do an OTA Enterprise Activation in Z10 or Q10 with my BIS plan to connect to the BES Express server?

3. Suppose I switch to a BES plan (awfully expansive), and my workplace decide not to upgrade to BB10 server. Can I do an OTA Enterprise Activation in Z10 or Q10?

4. Suppose I switch to a BES plan, and my workplace do decide to upgrade to BB10 server. Can I do an OTA Enterprise Activation in Z10 or Q10?

5. Do the phone register in the BB network? If BIS is no longer required (as reported) and we are forced to use IMAP or MS Active Sync then how the BB network detects the phone? What is the meaning of the BB icon at the top right notification area?

6. Will the E-Mails and PIM functions sync instantaneously in real time?

7. If the phone is not using BB network then we are not getting the famed BB security, right?

Can anyone answer these question in a straight-forward way? I am so confused.

Thank you.

Tintin
    02-17-13 12:58 AM
    1. BB10 phones do not work with BESx - however, if your company allows Exchange ActiveSync (assume so if they have iPhones and Android setup) you can just set your email up like this.

2. I don't believe there will be a BESx10 - BESx was released to allow companies to get the full PIM sync but without the cost of a full BEs server.

3. See above.

4. Yes, if they have a full BES10 server and you have a BES data plan you can activate your deviice OTA.

5. Yes, the phone registers on the Blackberry network. The only difference now is select traffic (BBM etc) is routed via the Blackberry infrastructure rather than all data.

6. Depends how you setup your email and PIM functions. If via ActiveSync then yes.

7. Depends entirely what you are looking in security. Connections between your phone and email server will be secured using SSL if the mailserver is set up correctly.
    tintin123456 likes this.
    02-17-13 05:29 AM
    lunaticwithin,

Thank you. This is very informative and helpful. Few more questions.

1. When I travel overseas, as soon as switch-on my 9790, it registers with BB network and I get all my e-mails right away. The career keeps on changing, but BB network works seamlessly and in real time. If I use MS ActiveSync then sync speed/capability will depend on career, right?

2. If people can use MS ActiveSync ten why anyone will signup for BES10? In other words, what is the user's advantage to pay the high price for a BES 10 plan?

3. Security: I think I read somewhere that BB security is unbreakable (used by Wikileak guys etc), but MS Active Sync can be hacked very very easily (even if SSL is setup correctly). If there is any truth to that, then BB10 will not have the security Wikileak wants, right? Not that I care, but I don't like losing unique functionalities which made BB's reputation.

Any thoughts?

Thanks very much,
    Tintin
    02-17-13 05:29 PM
    1. Network connection speed will also vary from carrier to carrier. The capability of ActiveSync will not as long as you have a data plan.

2. From my understanding of BES10 it allows the company greater control over the work portion of your phone without affecting the personal information. Without BES10 your company could issue the wipe command from Exchange and wipe all information from the phone, including personal. With BES10 all work data is encrypted on a 'work' partition your company can manage and deploy apps to. If you leave, are fired etc they can remove all work data without affecting your personal data. I believe all work data is transmitted via a secure connection to the BES10 server in the same way BES works now.

3. My knowledge is limited here. But remember that security is only as effective as the entire route - once my email message leaves and is delivered to the sender the only way for it to be truly secure is to encrypt it and the reader decrypt it the other end - not a standard function on any phone.
    tintin123456 likes this.
    02-17-13 11:52 PM
    lunaticwithin actually covered everything pretty well. Main points:

1) No more BIS, no more need for BIS plans with BB10. No need for BES plans with it, either
    2) Yes, you can just connect to your Exchange server with no need for BES at all.
    3) Yes, BES is still very useful. For one thing, if a phone gets lost an Exchange admin can wipe the e-mail, but he can't wipe the whole phone. With BES10 they can wipe it, disable it, practically blow it up in a thief's face (j/k on that last one... I think). As well, BES10 lets the company put its own environment on your own phone, completely separate from your personal stuff and with the ability to wipe the whole thing without affecting your personal area.
    tintin123456 likes this.
    02-17-13 11:59 PM
    Thanks everyone. One more question: What are the differences between "Microsoft Direct Push" and "Active Sync"? AT&T seems to treat BES and Mirosoft Direct Push as Enterprise plan. See the "Available Data Plans Comparison Chart" footnote 4 of:

https://www.wireless.att.com/busines...oc=S1&WT.svl=2

Thanks,
    Tintin
    02-18-13 12:56 AM
    There is no difference, but you are looking at Enterprise plans here unless AT&t specifically blocks ActiveSync data on a personal contract
    tintin123456 likes this.
    02-18-13 02:02 AM
    Activesync on BB10 supports AES256 encryption. That should satisfy anyone but the POTUS.

Posted via CB10
    tintin123456 likes this.
    02-18-13 02:35 AM
    Bes10 also gives you access to all your work files network drives through the work drives application. Also access your companies intranet.

Posted via CB10
    tintin123456 likes this.
    02-18-13 06:41 AM