Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Dapper37
  • 1 Post By berryaddictnoza
  • 1 Post By jasonvan9
  • 1 Post By missing_K-W
  • 1 Post By southlander
  • 1 Post By lnichols
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BB10 & QNX in the industrial world. Its heavy duty!

Caterpillar Electronics & System Integration team is now hiring QNX professionals | LinkedIn

Above is a link to a job posting for Caterpillar. Their looking or were looking for QNX developers. Cat is a user and customer of QNX RTOS. They use QNX for their Engine and Equipment Control modules (ECM's).
    I have been thinking about this relationship for some time as for the last 14 years I have been involved in the power systems end of Cat's business. I am a Caterpillar certified power systems tech. I travel around the world and set up, commission test and troubleshoot Cat engines. Mostly the very big engines, 3500 to 10,000 HP.

Cat has world class, award winning ECM's, the best in the business. They’re virtually small computers that run and protect the engines by monitoring operating parameters and subsystems of the engine and at times the driven equipment.

Like I said I'm in the power systems end of the Cat business (think power generation, gas compression and marine applications) Cat is the world leader in all! I have crossed over to the equipment side of things from time to time (all equipment has a power system) and I know the equipment side to use Cat's world class ECM technology throughout the equipment range as well, sometimes there is up to 5 ECM's on each piece of equipment, (very large mining trucks and loaders)

So to communicate with the ECM's I use Cat software installed on my laptop, I carry the laptop with me everywhere I go. Along with a plethora of cables and DVD's, enough that I can communicate with virtually every piece of Cat equipment ever produced that utilizes the said technology (everything produced since the year 2000) once a month I receive a new set of DVD's because that how fast various updates come out (I’m required to always be current) Besides all that, the amount of 3rd parties test equipment I carry would scare most people. The cost of said tooling is say $60,000 usd to get started. (Lucky my employer foots that bill). The cost to transport all I carry with me from Job to Job can be in the thousands!

So back to my original thoughts, I've started to realize how most all the extra equipment I carry (most not all) could soon be a thing of the past and replaced with various Apps and of course a BlackBerry as the main communications hub! If I am right about my thoughts of the general direction of my industry, this is huge! The people that buy the equipment I set up spend their own heaps of thousands of dollars to have similar equipment as I have, that ends up sitting on a shelf and never gets used (they know they need it yet can’t operate it). I can tell you they will pay dearly for the systems that I see coming!
    With a BlackBerry using NFC/Bluetooth my job is going to be a breeze. Customers being able to use RIMs NOC for things such as software updates and periodic monitoring of equipment will be a no brainer. A name your price scenario! The more I think about it the more my head is swimming in a pool of possibilities and pleasure. My future job will be so much easier and BlackBerry will be an industry champion!

I hope most people realize that the scenario I speak of is just one equipment manufacturer plus 3rd partied input suppliers. Those 3rd partied input suppliers are connected to all the rest of the world’s industrial equipment manufacturers! The sheer size of the potential future markets for BB10 and QNX are simply massive.

The above is just one reason I Believe!
    BB10 is going to change the game people.
    Last edited by FanBlackBerrytastic; 01-16-2013 at 02:36 AM.
    Thanked by 2:
    digitalman101 (11-03-2012),  jasonvan9 (11-02-2012) 
    19GhostRider71 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    803 Global Posts

Default Re: BB10 & QNX in the industrial world. Its heavy duty!

Cool job Dapper37! Sounds like if you have BB10/ QNX developer skills you can make some money.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Dapper,
    i'm a controls engineer in Canada currently programming some machinery to be installed at the Caterpillar plant in little rock arkansas, its very exciting to hear about the other software aspect that caterpillar uses in their machines. From our dealings, I assumed their control systems were not that advanced... cool to find out that not only are they world class, but they are powered by QNX! sounds like a dream job, keep on truckin'
    Previous device(s):8820 world edition,9800 Torch(Black),9780 Bold(Black),9700 Bold(Black),9900 Bold(Black),9810 Torch(White), iPhone3GS(Black)
    Family Current device(s):BlackBerry Z30(Black),BlackBerry Z10(Black),BlackBerry Q10(Black),Windows SurfaceRT, iPhone5C(Pink)
    Dapper37 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    If ur sexy>>>pm me

BB10 extension into existing QNX Systems will be cool so many amazing possibilities. QNX has market autonomy. It's deployed everywhere. Apple, Google and Microsoft can't match the reach of QNX. Definitely sparks the imagination
    "I gotta Z10......I gotta Z10....Hey...Hey...Hey....Hey"........
    Dapper37 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,218 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FE97BA

Default BB10 & QNX in the industrial world. Its heavy duty!

Let's hope RIM actually gets to realize all these things they can do.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    peter9477 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,367 Global Posts

What will really be cool is when RIM leverages QNET, which is built into QNX for QNX machine to machine communications to sell Companies like CAT, Dodge, etc tablets and smartphones to communicate with the non-Smartphone/tablet devices running QNX for diagnostics, software updates, etc. Or deeper integration between BlackBerry 10 phones and QNX infotainment systems than possible with any other platform. I hope RIM has a BlackBerry 10 based BlackBerry TV devices, media gateways, etc ready at BB10 launch to compliment the BB10 phones launch.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by jasonvan9 View Post
    Dapper,
    i'm a controls engineer in Canada currently programming some machinery to be installed at the Caterpillar plant in little rock arkansas, its very exciting to hear about the other software aspect that caterpillar uses in their machines. From our dealings, I assumed their control systems were not that advanced... cool to find out that not only are they world class, but they are powered by QNX! sounds like a dream job, keep on truckin'
    Cat still sells a lot of older generation control equipment, as not everything needs to be state of the art. But anything using current ADEM 3 soon to be ADEM 4 tech is award winning and QNX based!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by missing_K-W View Post
    BB10 extension into existing QNX Systems will be cool so many amazing possibilities. QNX has market autonomy. It's deployed everywhere. Apple, Google and Microsoft can't match the reach of QNX. Definitely sparks the imagination
    You speak true! Thing is I dont think its entirely up to RIM to provide a solution either, All their QNX customers are egerly getting at it I believe.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by southlander View Post
    Let's hope RIM actually gets to realize all these things they can do.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Yep lets hope so, and lets hope like I said above, their customers are busy to!