How can i put BB10 on my Priv ? I have enought of Android...
    06-23-17 10:14 AM
    06-23-17 10:17 AM
    The Priv originally was equipped with BB10 and I'm pretty sure if u go to the headquarters of BlackBerry u will see a few in the lab collecting dust and all other types of webbing.

Posted via CB10
    ColinsCity and gqmovement like this.
    06-23-17 05:31 PM
    The Priv originally was equipped with BB10 and I'm pretty sure if u go to the headquarters of BlackBerry u will see a few in the lab collecting dust and all other types of webbing.

Posted via CB10
    If you can call a sticker on a backlight "equipped".

xandros9 and Jrcalonzo like this.
    06-23-17 05:34 PM
    If you can call a sticker on a backlight "equipped".

http://www.androidos.in/wp-content/u...-MWC-large.jpg
    I'm pretty sure BB been testing that out with BB10 at the time and can you prove it was some "sticker" and a "backlight" equipped on it? I would like to see some solid evidence and not no he say she say nonsense. Bring that horse out from hiding please.

Posted via CB10
    ColinsCity likes this.
    06-23-17 06:18 PM
    I'm pretty sure BB been testing that out with BB10 at the time and can you prove it was some "sticker" and a "backlight" equipped on it? I would like to see some solid evidence and not no he say she say nonsense. Bring that horse out from hiding please.

Posted via CB10
    Where did the drivers come from to get BB10 working on the Priv? Why would have done all the work to get BB10 working on a Priv and not release it? It's pretty clear from the image that is a transparent picture that is backlit.
    06-23-17 06:24 PM
    Well I'm sure there was countless weird stuff behind the scenes that we don't know about.

Like how the HP TouchPad ran Android during development/production, the Palm Treo 800w ran webOS at one point, etc. Wasn't there some weird Android Passport?
    06-23-17 06:26 PM
    Where did the drivers come from to get BB10 working on the Priv? Why would have done all the work to get BB10 working on a Priv and not release it? It's pretty clear from the image that is a transparent picture that is backlit.
    If you remember back in early 2015 there was an article out there somewhere explaining how they decided to make the Priv an Android device instead. If my memory is correct, I think the individual holding the device is the man that ran into Chens office convincing him to move to Android... I just don't see a company developing a prototype device and not have it functioning at to some point and I don't mean sliding up and down.

Posted via CB10
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-23-17 06:48 PM
    The only way that could be functionally running BB10 would be if it is a mock up with Z30 internals. But if you look at the picture and the lighting it is easy to see this is a mock up nonfunctional device.
    06-23-17 09:35 PM
    I am sure they originally intended it to run BB10, why else is there a useless play/pause button that now only functions as a mute.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-17 07:20 PM
    Why they don't put one version on BB10 et another on Android ? Let the costumer choose which one he likes ...
    07-21-17 02:51 AM
    Why they don't put one version on BB10 et another on Android ? Let the costumer choose which one he likes ...
    Think about how much money, time and resources that would cost and you'll have your clear answer
    xandros9 likes this.
    07-21-17 03:11 AM
    The cost of the drivers would be very expensive.
    07-21-17 03:03 PM
    Adelino Marinho- How can I put BB10 on my Priv ? I have enough of Android...

thurask- You can't.

Me- LOL!

Because I hear that the Priv has a small, uncomfortable keyboard, I wouldn't even buy that thing if it had BlackBerry 10 on it. If there are two Android-Powered BlackBerries that I'd love to see BlackBerry 10 on, they would be the BlackBerry DTEK60 and BlackBerry Keyone.
    07-21-17 09:47 PM
    If you remember back in early 2015 there was an article out there somewhere explaining how they decided to make the Priv an Android device instead. If my memory is correct, I think the individual holding the device is the man that ran into Chens office convincing him to move to Android... I just don't see a company developing a prototype device and not have it functioning at to some point and I don't mean sliding up and down.

Posted via CB10
    Ron Louks, the man holding that early mock-up, was the man who convinced Chen to go Android. Louks was there since Jan 2014. That device was his baby from the start. There were other devices that were in the pipeline at that point as BB10 devices, but what he's holding wasn't one of them.

That is very much a paper printout lit from behind. He wouldn't be able to have that big thumb of his just plastered on a working BB10 screen without the icons eventually wiggling and getting moved around. I tried it on my Z10 with my much thinner thumb, and within seconds, icons got moved.

Remember too that BlackBerry had to wait to make the announcement about the deal with Google. At the time of the MWC, they were probably still negotiating. That's the reason for the fake screen.

Joel
    Last edited by joeldf; 07-21-17 at 10:38 PM.
    07-21-17 10:26 PM
    They should launch every bb device. With 2 choices.

Android or bb10 this doesnt cost much extra. Its. Only the. Software layer thats diffrent.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-17 06:31 AM

Android or bb10 this doesnt cost much extra. Its. Only the. Software layer thats diffrent.

Posted via CB10
    Wow...

There's so much more to it than that.

It's the Qualcomm drivers for BB10 that was the final straw for BlackBerry. They wrote the drivers for BB, and charged an exorbitant amount.

Qualcomm writes the drivers for Android too, but for free, because the licensing alone for each device using their CPU has them rolling in the cash.

They don't get quite the same out of every BB10 device so they charged BlackBerry an excessive amount for the drivers to make up the difference.

Ever wonder why every BB10 uses the same basic CPU, with only a few jumps - the Z30, and the Passport? And I don't know if the Z30 needed a new driver for it at the time - it's still based on the same MSM8960 chip as every other BB10 phone...except the Passport. The Passport certainly did need new drivers using a Snapdragon 801. That probably hurt BlackBerry big time.

Soon after the Passport's release was when we heard Chen complain about that cost when he was asked about any new upcoming BB10 devices. The two BB10 devices that followed the Passport were the Classic and Leap. Guess what CPUs are in those two? That's right - back to the MSM8960 Snapdragon S4 Plus variant first used in the Z10 two years earlier.

For the record, the Z30 used the Pro variant of the S4 - a dual-core clocked at 1.7 GHz. While the S4 Plus is a dual-core clocked at 1.5 GHz. The Q5 also used the S4 Plus but was under-clocked at 1.2 GHz.

The Z3 is really the only other oddball using the Snapdragon 400 MSM8230 1.2 GHz dual-core SoC package. The CPU portion is still a Krait. Other parts of the SoC use different parts like the modem, so I'm not sure if the CPU driver itself had to be revised or not.

And then there's the very first BB10 oddball - the STL100-1 model Z10. It sports the only Texas Instruments CPU used in any BB10 device. TI had a long history of providing CPUs for the legacy BlackBerry phones. But by 2012, Qualcomm pretty much pushed TI completely out of the mobile device game. However, the first BB10 phones were already being tested and that first model variant stuck with TI (also meant that it wouldn't get LTE), while the other 3 models moved on with Qualcomm.

So, no, trying to add a BB10 software layer to modern hardware would actually be very costly to BlackBerry. And, there's no chance they would get that investment back in sales.

You, me and a few others on this forum may like it, but we all don't make that much of a market to count on making a profit off of.

Joel
    07-23-17 09:58 AM

Posted via CB10
    Define "they". BlackBerry no longer build any device.
    TCL is only interested by Android, why bother with an OS that was a complete commercial failure ?

When I read posts on Crackberry, I often wonder when I will see someone asking for an unicorn.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-17 10:41 AM
    How can i put BB10 on my Priv ? I have enought of Android...
    Try photoshopping it. That's about it.
    07-23-17 10:48 AM
    Try photoshopping it. That's about it.
    He could see if Ron Louks still has the overlay he used in that infamous picture.
    Carjackd likes this.
    07-24-17 09:56 AM
    He could see if Ron Louks still has the overlay he used in that infamous picture.
    Ya....so there is a least one out there ...that was probably never updated .
    07-24-17 10:55 AM
    Wow...

There's so much more to it than that.

It's the Qualcomm drivers for BB10 that was the final straw for BlackBerry. They wrote the drivers for BB, and charged an exorbitant amount.

Qualcomm writes the drivers for Android too, but for free, because the licensing alone for each device using their CPU has them rolling in the cash.

They don't get quite the same out of every BB10 device so they charged BlackBerry an excessive amount for the drivers to make up the difference.

Ever wonder why every BB10 uses the same basic CPU, with only a few jumps - the Z30, and the Passport? And I don't know if the Z30 needed a new driver for it at the time - it's still based on the same MSM8960 chip as every other BB10 phone...except the Passport. The Passport certainly did need new drivers using a Snapdragon 801. That probably hurt BlackBerry big time.

Soon after the Passport's release was when we heard Chen complain about that cost when he was asked about any new upcoming BB10 devices. The two BB10 devices that followed the Passport were the Classic and Leap. Guess what CPUs are in those two? That's right - back to the MSM8960 Snapdragon S4 Plus variant first used in the Z10 two years earlier.

For the record, the Z30 used the Pro variant of the S4 - a dual-core clocked at 1.7 GHz. While the S4 Plus is a dual-core clocked at 1.5 GHz. The Q5 also used the S4 Plus but was under-clocked at 1.2 GHz.

The Z3 is really the only other oddball using the Snapdragon 400 MSM8230 1.2 GHz dual-core SoC package. The CPU portion is still a Krait. Other parts of the SoC use different parts like the modem, so I'm not sure if the CPU driver itself had to be revised or not.

And then there's the very first BB10 oddball - the STL100-1 model Z10. It sports the only Texas Instruments CPU used in any BB10 device. TI had a long history of providing CPUs for the legacy BlackBerry phones. But by 2012, Qualcomm pretty much pushed TI completely out of the mobile device game. However, the first BB10 phones were already being tested and that first model variant stuck with TI (also meant that it wouldn't get LTE), while the other 3 models moved on with Qualcomm.

So, no, trying to add a BB10 software layer to modern hardware would actually be very costly to BlackBerry. And, there's no chance they would get that investment back in sales.

You, me and a few others on this forum may like it, but we all don't make that much of a market to count on making a profit off of.

Joel
    Why not use Mediatek processors then? I am sure there would have cost my less. Clearly, Blackberry had already made up their minds.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-17 02:08 PM
    The theory that drivers cost $5 billion dollars per device was a ruse started by Chen to explain why he could not sell a paper bag at a grocery store all out of bags.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-17 02:11 PM
    The theory that drivers cost $5 billion dollars per device
    [citation needed]

was a ruse started by Chen to explain why he could not sell a paper bag at a grocery store all out of bags.
    [citation needed]
    07-24-17 02:32 PM
    Why not use Mediatek processors then? I am sure there would have cost my less. Clearly, Blackberry had already made up their minds.

Posted via CB10
    Can't really argue that point. Unless MediaTek being a Taiwanese company had something to do with it.

Joel
    07-24-17 03:59 PM
28 12