Don't know if this has been posted before, couldn't find it but Rogers just announced the price for the BB10 on a 3 years plan, $199.

Not bad if you ask me. How will it fair against iPhone 4s now available for $0??
    12-18-12 10:18 AM
    Thanks Sysgen.... do you have a link to this news?
    12-18-12 10:28 AM
    No link, it's from our rep at Rogers, we have a corporate account and I gave my name to be on the list to get one as they become available and tha'st what he told me.
    12-18-12 10:41 AM
    We should have contracts in India too. That will let most of the people get high end phones. Not everyone can afford 35k (~$700) on a phone every time. Maybe RIM can start the trend by having deals with service providers.
    12-18-12 10:51 AM
    Ouch, without a contract you can expect to pay in upwards of $800 for it, good luck.

Made me realise that there wont be different versions depending on the amount of memory, right? They will all have the same base memory and you add whatever you want with the sd card. So they will only offer one model?
    12-18-12 12:42 PM
    No its "competitively priced" to iPhone 5 and S3 which means around the range of $600 -$650 buying it outright.
    12-18-12 04:13 PM
    ^That's too much, I might go with a Lumia 920 instead (and suffer).
    12-18-12 05:00 PM
    ^That's too much, I might go with a Lumia 920 instead (and suffer).
    And how much money will that save you? I divide the cost difference with the months I'll probably have the phone and it's barely a savings at that point.
    12-18-12 08:15 PM
    I could live with $650. $800 would be pretty steep.
    BThunderW likes this.
    12-18-12 10:11 PM
    haunting memories of the full priced 64 gb playbook which i bought are coming back.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-18-12 10:21 PM
    would be nice if they gave us "early adopters" of the 64gb playbooks, who paid 600-700+ a better deal on the phone lol....sign of good faith.....i kno, fart in a wind storm lol
    12-18-12 10:32 PM
    Don't know if this has been posted before, couldn't find it but Rogers just announced the price for the BB10 on a 3 years plan, $199.

Not bad if you ask me. How will it fair against iPhone 4s now available for $0??
    Three-year contracts are non-sense in the fast-paced technology world. The carriers should charge a deposit of say CAD250.00 and it is refunded to your account each month at a rate of CAD10.00 for 24 months, at the end the carrier keeps the CAD10.00 balance as a service fee. The smartphones should be free apart from the deposit. Over the course of a typical smartphone the carrier makes more than the cost of the device through their voice and data plans.
    12-18-12 11:03 PM
    $800 is ridiculously high, Apple ip5 16 GB only 650 or so. Why would RIM want to hang a price tag that high? even with 600 -650 no contract, they would make a nice profit if BB10 succeed.
    12-19-12 07:03 AM
    They should price it similar to S3 - 35k INR ($700) here. Anything more, people are going to prefer S3 or note 2

Sent from the awesome Sony xperia S
    12-19-12 09:42 AM
    No its "competitively priced" to iPhone 5 and S3 which means around the range of $600 -$650 buying it outright.
    Does it have "competitive" hardware?

Does it have "competitive" ecosystem?

Does it have "competitive" consumer demand?

The great iPhone "killer" the STORM sold very well, but the main reason was that Verizon didn't have any robot or fruit phones to sell so they really got behind both RIM and the STORM. There were lots of $99 sales with contract and the big push was the BOGO sales they ran. Verizon nor any other carrier is going to do that for BB10, but that is what RIM is going to need to sell this first generation of devices.

So price them as "competitive" devices, but they had better start out with some type of rebates or oter discount program to make these devices attractive to consumers.
    notfanboy likes this.
    12-19-12 09:53 AM
    I'm not pasting more than $100 on a 2 year contract.
    12-19-12 10:22 AM
    I think it's important that first couple of BlackBerry 10 devices be competitively priced. Once the platform is out there, the early adopters are going to show it around, create buzz and then the next set of devices can be priced slightly (not ridiculously) higher.

Bold/Premium series:
    • $129 to $149 for first couple premium devices on contract ($529 to $549 without contract) for high-end/BOLD/Premium devices.
      $149 to $249 for next set of premium devices on-contract($549 to $649 without contract.)

Curve/Pearl/Low-Mid-Price series:
    • $49 to $129 for first couple of low-mid-end devices (ala curve/pearl) ($449 to $529 without contract)and
      $99 to $149 for next set of curve-pearl devices on contract ($499 to $549 without contract)
    jimpilot likes this.
    12-19-12 01:37 PM
    You can buy GS3's for $499 to $549 not on contract. RIM should not try to charge iPhone $650+ for the devices. Didn't work out too well with them with the Playbook, and not even Samsung is dumb enough to price the GS3 at iPhone off contract pricing even though it has superior specs. RIM needs to hit the sweet spot and $600 off contract is not that spot, at least in the US.
    12-19-12 05:00 PM
    BB10 needs to come in cheaper against the S3 and iPhone5 - both on and off contract.

People need a bigger reason than the OS to upgrade to a BB10 device instead of an S3 or iPhone5 and the deep ecosystem they provide.
    A lower price will help swing the decision in RIMs favor.

BB10 has to gain as much traction as possible on release day. A price adjustment later after low demand will be too late.

I hope RIM doesn't get cocky just because they're finally releasing a device that can play with the big boys.
    FuzzyFish likes this.
    12-19-12 05:11 PM
    You have to think that a large amount of the phones will go to corporate customers that are due for a renewal and they are all usually on 3 years terms, so for them the price will be a bit irrelevant. That is the main target for RIM.
    12-19-12 08:55 PM
    Anyone who appreciates the efficiency that comes along with using a BlackBerry (even the current offerings) will pay the premium smartphone price to maintain that efficiency. I personally couldnt care less how much its going to cost. Even if it is up there with some of the most expensive smartphones available right now I will gladly pay it. The time that my 9900 Bold even saves me to this day over using an Android or iOS device is the reason I still use a BlackBerry.

Pricing the phone too cheap diminishes its "premium" reputation in my opinion. I think it should be priced to match the Samsung S3 pricing. After all I believe that most BlackBerry users that left went to Android moreso than Apple.
    12-19-12 11:49 PM
    Anyone who appreciates the efficiency that comes along with using a BlackBerry (even the current offerings) will pay the premium smartphone price to maintain that efficiency. I personally couldnt care less how much its going to cost. Even if it is up there with some of the most expensive smartphones available right now I will gladly pay it. The time that my 9900 Bold even saves me to this day over using an Android or iOS device is the reason I still use a BlackBerry.

Pricing the phone too cheap diminishes its "premium" reputation in my opinion. I think it should be priced to match the Samsung S3 pricing. After all I believe that most BlackBerry users that left went to Android moreso than Apple.
    Your VIEW is that a BlackBerry is a "premium" device. Unfortunately the VIEW of most consumers is that BlackBerry is out of date - and not a premium device, so they aren't buying them. The PlayBook is a perfect example of RIM thinking more of their device than consumers did. But I think it is fine if RIM gives their devices "book" prices that are high, and charges business and gov. those book prices. But for consumers they had better provide some discounts/rebates to begin with or the platform isn't going anywhere.
    12-20-12 08:42 AM
    Your VIEW is that a BlackBerry is a "premium" device. Unfortunately the VIEW of most consumers is that BlackBerry is out of date - and not a premium device, so they aren't buying them. The PlayBook is a perfect example of RIM thinking more of their device than consumers did. But I think it is fine if RIM gives their devices "book" prices that are high, and charges business and gov. those book prices. But for consumers they had better provide some discounts/rebates to begin with or the platform isn't going anywhere.
    Agreed.

RIM has an image problem with consumers, and the Playbook made it worse.
    Price will be a factor (not the only factor) of getting BB10 devices noticed and purchased. The Playbook was a perfect example of RIM getting cocky and pricing way too high and thinking people will flock to the tablet. The same can happen for BB10 (from a consumer perspective). The average Joe is going to think to himself if he's going to spend that much money on a phone - he'll just buy the safe bet in S3 or iPhone5. What benefit will he get by buying a BB10 phone?
    12-20-12 09:00 AM
    Fruit Co.5 at Rogers is $699
    $800 is ridiculously high, Apple ip5 16 GB only 650 or so. Why would RIM want to hang a price tag that high? even with 600 -650 no contract, they would make a nice profit if BB10 succeed.
    12-20-12 11:51 AM
    is ridiculously high, Apple ip5 16 GB only 650 or so. Why would RIM want to hang a price tag that high? even with 600 -650 no contract, they would make a nice profit if BB10 succeed.
    $800 is not a confirmed price.
    12-20-12 11:52 AM
37 12