Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

Everyone seems to be saying $199 and up; I just can't see how this would be good. I know RIM doesn't want to be looked at as makers of lower-end phones, but I think they need to gain a portion of the market. Whether that be with people looking to buy cheap phones or more expensive ones- they need BB10 to get out there! The more BB10 phones out there and in peoples hands the more other people will notice them, more they will see the amazing features of them, and the more people will want to get them. If they are priced in the same price-range as iPhones, for example, I can't see people picking the BlackBerry that has been hated on for the past few years (even though it will be a whole different phone) over phones that they see in every freaking commerical, flyer, tv special, hand on the streets, etc.

I think they should be under iPhone and GS3. I don't know, set them so carriers would have them at ~ $100-125 with a x year contract. Then once it gains some recognition in the market and people start seeing the new face of BlackBerry, maybe when the m-series drops, have later BB10 phones slightly more expensive gaining to cost of the leading phones today. just my thoughts.
    CrackBerry User

I guess between $500 - $1000 because of it's advanced technology. For the N series, it might be cheaper than the L series.
    CrackBerry User

Here is my take on it. If I was in charge of RIM, I would undercut the iPhone. RIM had a crappy device the last couple of years. No one liked them. Everyone wanted their company to allow them to use an android or iPhone. This is why the BYOD model was born.

I would price it at $150, which is $50 less than you can buy the 16gb iPhone 5 for in contract, but then I would make sure to put in big letters "Up to 64GB". Seriously, apple charges $400 for the 64gb model, when a 64gb sd card costs $75. They are making huge premiums on their mark up.
    Last edited by Triplell; 01-17-2013 at 10:52 AM.
    CrackBerry User

$499.00 off contract, $199.00 on a two year contract. And would also like to see bold 9900 to drop to $299.00 off contract or free with a two year contract.
    CrackBerry Addict

IMHO the best thing RIM could do would be offer a trade in value to current Iphones and Android devices. For example Iphone 4 has a value of 100, the 4s 150 and the 5 200. Let them use this as a credit towards the already subsidized contract price. Do the same for the Current Android line up ie no HTC Desires, or Nexus 1's for example. Do nothing for current BB users, because one, there aren't really any "current" blackberrys, and two, those people are already in line for a new phone. The goal here is to switch people that are early adopters and those that have to have the latest device but are stuck in a new contract. They then need to take these traded in devices and destroy them. It would be an expense of doing business and would be a tax deduction. While destroying them rather than selling them off to a third party takes away possible minor profits, it also takes them out of circulation from the used market meaning the used supply goes down, while demand remains the same. This then drives up the price of the remaining used Iphones and Androids, so in addition to the devices being harder to find used, they are also more expensive meaning that people are steered more towards buying a new phone, possibly a blackberry.

RIM really needs to swallow their pride here and do their best effort into getting this phone into the hands of everyone that needs the latest and greatest. They are the ones that use apps, and put the phone through their paces. With more users comes more people demanding apps, more apps will be made, and more people will come aboard and so the circle goes. Devs don't make apps for devices that aren't being used.

Just one man's mind wandering....
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    849 Global Posts

Default Re: bb10 phone costs?

With the delay of BB10 and the release of the iphone5, there is going to be a two year wait before people will be considering switching phones. All those Iphoe5 users just signed a two year contract.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    28A9784D

Based on the legal jargon for Bell's free device give-a-way contest (Bell - BlackBerry 10) the value is pegged at $700CDN. This is the same as the iPhone 5 16GB. We can then infer the price on a 3-year contract will also be the same: $180CDN.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Price is a major factor if RIM intends to retain the remaining diehards and re-command a decent market share here in the US. I am sure they have thoroughly considered this and will price the BB10 devices competitively. As 'danielcj' mentioned, iphone5 was recently released. A great number of persons opted for that, winning some of those ppl over will certainly depend on a competitive price.
    scalemaster34 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Default Re: bb10 phone costs?

Quote Originally Posted by jacanb View Post
    Price is a major factor if RIM intends to retain the remaining diehards and re-command a decent market share here in the US. I am sure they have thoroughly considered this and will price the BB10 devices competitively. As 'danielcj' mentioned, iphone5 was recently released. A great number of persons opted for that, winning some of those ppl over will certainly depend on a competitive price.
    most people that just bought an iPhone 5 are not going to care anything about a Bb10 device. But there are plenty of people who do not own a smartphone or who will be in the market to buy one that RIM needs to attract.

Some of these people know nothing about smartphones... all they will want to know is which ones can I get free on contract and then which ones are $50, which are $100 and for the majority that is as far as they go. The $200+ phones get the headlines, but it is the less expensive phones that are making most of the sales. RIM is going to need to get their BB10 version of the Curve out ASAP if they want to quickly expand the BB10 platforms footprint.

But it had better be able to match up to other device in the same price range. RIM has thought of themselves as a elite manufacture...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12