So you would like to run a VPN to your home or office, but don't have BES and also don't know how to navigate all this stuff?

Here's what you need -- verified working for FreeBSD and should be easily-applicable to Linux as well.

Enjoy!

Tired Of "Snoopfest"? Stop It in [Market-Ticker]

Excerpt:
    I keep getting poked on this on and off and it's a real problem.

Cell carriers use "deep packet inspection" to detect people cheating on their tethering plans (they want you to pay, see) and "bust" you if you do so but don't pay them. They'd never look at anything else -- or for other purposes -- right?

You walk into a Starbucks or other place with "Free" WiFi. Never mind the store, the connection is unsecured which means anyone within 300' or so of you can see everything that goes over the link during that time using trivially-available software and an ordinary PC or cellphone with a WiFi connection. Nobody would ever do that, right?

You're in your hotel room. You log into some web site and surf around. Nobody else in the same hotel is monitoring that free, unsecured WiFi -- right?

Uh, yeah.

If you have a machine at home (or your office) that is on all the time and provides a firewall and NAT service for computers behind it, and you both can (and should), you might want to read this article.

I will assume you have such a machine. It could be running either Linux or FreeBSD. I will also assume that you want an actual secure VPN connection. There are tutorials all over the place on less-secure options such as PPTP and LT2P; these work, but have potential points of attack that may be serious trouble. Note that they're ok for casual use and will stop most of the garden-variety hackers, and certainly are better than nothing!

But today we're going to talk about setting up an IPSEC/IKEv2 gateway, and we're going to do it on FreeBSD. We'll set it up for two environments -- Windows 7 machines (8 should also work) and the new BlackBerry BB10 phones (Z-10, Q-10, etc) along with, if you wish, the Playbook.

If you do this you're putting in place no-BS high-grade secure communications, at least as far as your device and your network. This doesn't stop someone from physically breaking into your home (or hacking your gateway) but it sure as hell does stop any sort of casual (or not-so-casual!) interception of what you're sending and receiving from a mobile device where you and the device are.
    BBigDogs likes this.
    05-03-13 01:38 PM
    I dont even know where to start with this, I mean I could install Free BSD and setup the kernel but after that I'm lost. I need to go back to school for some cisco stuff. The idea is very intriguing, if someone would like to help me out with it -- that would be awesome!
    05-07-13 11:46 AM