So we've seen a lot of BB10 so far and today's BGR leaks have me wondering... will there be toasts of some form in BB10? I know there were leaked slides a while back but since then we havn't heard anything about them. There seemed to be a screenshot on BGR of notifications and settings for the LED, but it didn't look like there were toast options. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on whether or not we'll see something like this in the final OS build. I'm really hoping for something because the leaked slides from a while back looked like a great idea!
    01-21-13 11:33 AM
    Apps can do toasts if they want to, assuming it's this type of toast you're talking about. https://developer.blackberry.com/cas...ialogs_toasts/

If you mean will the system itself show toasts on top of any running app, when messages arrive, I don't know but I suspect not. That's the point of the LED notification light, and an audible notification, and the the whole thing with the bottom-swipe reversible peek gesture is so you can choose whether or not to interrupt what you're doing by checking what's up. The classic toast coming up on top of everything, every time something arrives, probably runs counter to that whole concept.
    01-21-13 11:40 AM
    Very true that the LED and HUB/peak take the place of toasts the way Apple for instance has used them. But I was thinking of on the lock screen... I remember the leaks showed off toasts that showed more information as you lifted the device towards you. I'm hoping something like that exists at launch because I'm not always going to lock the device from within the HUB... I may lock it in an app or the browser and still want to see a message before I unlock the device and utilize the peak gesture just to see what it is.
    01-21-13 11:52 AM
    Yes, that would definitely be nice. I don't think we've learned anything about whether that will be present or not. I'm sure there will be something, since even the Dev Alpha will show the next calendar event on the lock screen. Beyond that? Only nine more days. ;-)
    01-21-13 12:20 PM