Ok - I am going to put it out there. My Z10 is my daily driver. It is a great phone that has most of the characteristics that I want. But, not everything. In particular, I wish it was a little faster and a little sleeker.

From a hardware standpoint - I still find the HTC One to be the best in the market. It is a beautiful phone, the metal, the bevels, the IR, the speakers, the camera -- truely excellent. But Android (now kitkat) is blah.

I am going to put it out there. I would pay good money - hmmmm maybe even $200 if I could run BB10 on this hardware (since I already have it). I know that will sound crazy to most.

But - here is the idea. If HTC has "generic unlocked Google versions" for the primary purpose of letting people get access to "pure Google" or "to flash it with CMod" why not ask HTC to make a Blackberry compatible version (I dont know what they would have to add or do) that BB would support to run BB10.

I know that this sounds the same as "outsourcing" - but it is a little different. The difference being I would pay BB directly for the aibility to do so. Especially if they could find a way to load it on any hardware they wished to support.

Hope this makes sense.
    justkonyen likes this.
    12-08-13 07:44 AM
    Would be good but me personally would stick with BlackBerry hardware

Posted via My Awesome Z30 running 10.2.1.1055
    12-08-13 08:03 AM
    Yes, gladly.

Good hardware (let me rephrase - hardware matching the other flagship devices) and BB10, no matter who puts the device out, is a killer combo.

And that would mean BlackBerry is getting license fee money, so all would be good.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 08:09 AM
    Over specs. For what? BB10 is just like iOS. What matters is the OS, not the hardware. iOS doesn't need extreme hardware, but do the work nicely. So do BB10. And besides, BlackBerry is mainly use for communication. Not for entertainment. Which is not demanding extreme specs. And, the really important thing is battery life. Seriously, if you use that specs the battery consumption would be ridicoulus. But, it's only my opinion so far

Posted via my lovely Q5.
    12-08-13 08:17 AM
    I might buy a phone with BB10 on it not made by BBRY. I would not buy the phone plus send BBRY more money.
    12-08-13 08:31 AM
    Over specs. For what? BB10 is just like iOS. What matters is the OS, not the hardware. iOS doesn't need extreme hardware, but do the work nicely. So do BB10. And besides, BlackBerry is mainly use for communication. Not for entertainment. Which is not demanding extreme specs. And, the really important thing is battery life. Seriously, if you use that specs the battery consumption would be ridicoulus. But, it's only my opinion so far

Posted via my lovely Q5.
    A 64bit processor, 20megapix with 8x optical zoom camera, 1080p 4.2' Super AMOLED display, 3200 mAh battery, 32GB of internal storage, 3GB of RAM... running BlackBerry 10?

Yes. I'd buy that. Specs that make the device perform better are ALWAYS welcome..
    justkonyen likes this.
    12-08-13 08:36 AM
    I guess that is the problem. To the poster who said they would not pay more, I get it.

Android devices have an indirect monetization model. Google infects every app, or takes your data and tried to sell you ads. That is why Android is free. Jo need to pay.

Apple makes up for it with exorbitant product costs or they extort it out of the carriers. I mean 650 for an iPhone5s with 16gb. Seriously? The iPhone 5s is more the 3x better than our z10's? No f'ing way. I would say they are not better at all.

But BlackBerry has got to make money somewhere. So if we don't want them to sink huge expense into making maybe not "hit" phones, why not let us buy "cheap" android hardware and augment with the OS that we know is better?

It is sort of a ju-jitsu strategy.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 09:21 AM
    A 64bit processor, 20megapix with 8x optical zoom camera, 1080p 4.2' Super AMOLED display, 3200 mAh battery, 32GB of internal storage, 3GB of RAM... running BlackBerry 10?

Yes. I'd buy that. Specs that make the device perform better are ALWAYS welcome..
    And for what do you use that for? Seriously? In BlackBerry? This is what I don't understand about this whole new technology. This, extreme hardware. For what? 4K camera, for what in the world do you want to record a video using that res? 1080 is high enough for a video. And, it eats up a lot of memory too, so for what? Octa-core processor. It's cool for sure. But for what? Just for gaming? In a 5 inch display? Well maybe it's quite useful too for works, but isn't that too much? I don't get why people invented something that is so extreme, so massive, in a small device fit in our palms. Well, it's good for technology breaktrough, but the function? Anybody could light me up?

Posted via my lovely Q5.
    12-08-13 09:45 AM
    And for what do you use that for? Seriously? In BlackBerry? This is what I don't understand about this whole new technology. This, extreme hardware. For what? 4K camera, for what in the world do you want to record a video using that res? 1080 is high enough for a video. And, it eats up a lot of memory too, so for what? Octa-core processor. It's cool for sure. But for what? Just for gaming? In a 5 inch display? Well maybe it's quite useful too for works, but isn't that too much? I don't get why people invented something that is so extreme, so massive, in a small device fit in our palms. Well, it's good for technology breaktrough, but the function? Anybody could light me up?

Posted via my lovely Q5.
    Smartphones are no longer a "messaging device". They are mini computers in our pockets and people want to use them as they do their desktops.
    justkonyen likes this.
    12-08-13 09:50 AM
    Well, I agree, maybe it does not need to be a personal heater with octacores, and the like.

And, I agree, I am not sure how much better the screens can get past the resolution of 390 ppi. Or whatever our z10's are.

I do like the smoothness to the graphics that a better fpu could give us over the adreno that we are currently using.

And, my bro was recently on a trip when he was trying to truly run 4 apps at the same time. One mapping, one gps, music, and something else. Truly running at the same time. I think it could have used a little more horsepower, but who knows.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 09:56 AM
    What other hardware beats a BlackBerry device? Samsung feels cheaper than all. LG is to slippery. HTC has shoddy QC.

The z10 feels more premium than most if not all the phones I've used in the past.

Z10
    12-08-13 09:59 AM
    Agree. HTC's QC was questionable when they launched the One. But I think that was to using a new process for that phone.

I like the one that I have.

BlackBerry quality on the z10 is pretty questionable in the beginning. The screens still have quite a bit of variability is the quality. The old BlackBerrys were pretty awesome from a durability standpoint.

Agree also that Samsung quality is pretty bad. All plastic and highly flexible. Makes it feel cheap.

I hear that the Porsche z10 version is pretty wicked

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 10:11 AM
    The HTC is nice, but why compare it to a z10 and not a Z30. Same form factor and at least the sound system is at par (if not better on the z).
    12-08-13 10:25 AM

BlackBerry quality on the z10 is pretty questionable in the beginning. The screens still have quite a bit of variability is the quality. The old BlackBerrys were pretty awesome from a durability standpoint.

What about the screen on z10? Mine has odd back light variations but other than that, it's solid.

Z10
    12-08-13 10:51 AM
    From what I understand, they had screens made in two places. I have experienced this with Z10's i have bought for the family. Some of the Z10's have excellent screens - white bright, sharp, etc - on par with the iphones in brightness and range. However, some of them can not achieve the same level of brightness even with the brightness control. It is a nit. Although, you can get the color preference with the new tone control in 1055 - which was pretty smart to do.
    20degrees likes this.
    12-08-13 11:01 AM
    Think bb10 could sell for up to $60 if it would run on android hardware.
    Think the market would be more rejuvenating older phones
    12-08-13 12:24 PM
    If BlackBerry stays on the path they have stated, their market will still be communication.

I would pay "good" money for a high end Q type phone.
    Smartphones are no longer a "messaging device". They are mini computers in our pockets and people want to use them as they do their desktops.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 12:43 PM
    you and me both, i actually liked to believe that HTC would be the first non bb manufacturer to enable bb10 on their handheld device. I guess it's all about bb giving the green light
    12-08-13 12:57 PM
    Nope. There is no need. Blackberry devices are perfect for me. If I can't see pixels now and the device doesn't lag for me. Then more ppi and cpu aren't going to accomplish a single thing. It is a useless exercise.
    12-08-13 01:07 PM
    Think bb10 could sell for up to $60 if it would run on android hardware.
    Think the market would be more rejuvenating older phones
    Won't happen. The device would have to be re flashed with a new secure boot loader and the hardware may have to be changed to get the security that people expect from Blackberry. If you want a non-secure OS on an Android device, stick with Android.
    12-08-13 01:09 PM
    I wouldn't mind a specs bump. I haven't any problems with speed but battery and speakers would be nice.
    But there is one thing that BlackBerry does that other manufacturers haven't really caught up to, it's the feel of the phone. It feels right in your hands.
    diegonei likes this.
    12-08-13 03:46 PM
    Blackberry is mediocre in building reliable hardware. Leave it to other manufacturers to build cheaper and better designed phone.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Alex Keb; 12-08-13 at 06:58 PM.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    12-08-13 03:53 PM
    i dont really get all the fuss over 4k, the human eye only sees in 6 gigapixels...
    12-08-13 04:03 PM
    Ha... not when it comes to making keyboard phones.
    Blackberry is mediocre is building reliable hardware. Leave it to other manufacturers to build cheaper and better designed phone.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    12-08-13 04:32 PM
    Well, i think that there is something to the idea of letting other manufacturers make super-duper hardware, take all the inventory risk, etc - and just have BB set up a deal to put BB10 on for a fee. Seems to me to make sense if the price was right. Of course, they would need to create a reason for people to prefer BB10 (the OS itself has to have appeal, the ecosystem, etc - what ever that winning value proposition has to be - maybe secure non-intrusive email connected to BIS (yeah - bring that back new and improved!). (why not $100 per phone one time + $20 per year for updates + BIS email)

Just look at the following:
    Google Squeezes Margins on Moto G Phone - WSJ.com

Motorola (Google) is in essence going to sell phones at a 5% margin (i.e. cost) in order to get Android-ware into your hands. Why? They want all your data.... buwhaa buwhaa haaa.....evil diabolical laugh.
    12-08-13 06:08 PM
35 12