• 1 Post By mithrazor
  • 1 Post By big bb
  • 1 Post By nicklas79
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,077 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BB10 Multi Tasking Feature

So I was thinking about this...but the BB10 homescreen has only 8 running applications at all times...what if you want to run 10 apps...do the first 2 that you opened close completely?? or just leave the homescreen but continue to run in the background? Has anyone heard about this? It seems weird they limit you to 8, although I am sure I wont have more than 8 apps running constantly, but if for a reason i do want 10 or 12 open, what happens to those additional apps? do they close ???
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Available upon request.

The apps on the bottom of your list will close.
    XoXoXo
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    PIN

You can open more than 8 apps, but only 8 active frames will remain live in the homescreen with your last used apps closing as the poster above says
    It's Never Too Late to Be Bold You can find my musing over at BerryFlow.com | @jmznvs
    "If you understand what the promise of BlackBerry is to its user base itís all about getting stuff done.
    Games, media, we have to be good at it but we have to support those guys who are ahead of the game." Thorsten Heins
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,756 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mphillips828 View Post
    So I was thinking about this...but the BB10 homescreen has only 8 running applications at all times...what if you want to run 10 apps...do the first 2 that you opened close completely?? or just leave the homescreen but continue to run in the background? Has anyone heard about this? It seems weird they limit you to 8, although I am sure I wont have more than 8 apps running constantly, but if for a reason i do want 10 or 12 open, what happens to those additional apps? do they close ???
    The applications on the bottom will close, they are considered the oldest used. Whenever one app is opened the others are pushed down, and the one just opened takes the first position.
    Have I really been here for three years?
    CrackBerry Master

If you had 10 open and 8 showing how would you switch to the last 2?
    BlackBerry

Global Posts
    5,807 Global Posts

I don't care how much memory these devices will have, no one needs 10 apps running in the background. I would love for someone to describe to me the scenario where they needed 10 apps running at once. I multitask like crazy on my BBs and this seems outrageous even to me
    BB4Life
    DocDRM and dentynefire like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,603 Global Posts

I use 5-6 apps everyday.
    I wait for the future...to COME back to BlackBerry!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by SlcCorrado View Post
    I don't care how much memory these devices will have, no one needs 10 apps running in the background. I would love for someone to describe to me the scenario where they needed 10 apps running at once. I multitask like crazy on my BBs and this seems outrageous even to me
    fully agree!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

While we are on the topic of multitasking will we still have the option of swiping from the side bezels like on the PB to switch between apps? Do Dev Alphas support it? I would hate to love that feature as it is a truly powerful and efficient feature.

Back to the topic at hand though, it is interesting that we are limited to 8 running apps as Active Frames. I wonder why there is a limit. The PB can run a lot more, albeit after 12 apps it begins to shut down I think. Ironically, even our older BBOS devices can have more than 8 on the multitasking menu.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elwe Feanorfin View Post
    While we are on the topic of multitasking will we still have the option of swiping from the side bezels like on the PB to switch between apps? Do Dev Alphas support it? I would hate to love that feature as it is a truly powerful and efficient feature.
    At this time the left and right swipe to switch app do not exist in BB10, that is not to say that they won't have something like it. This i have had the Dev Alpha I can switch app just as fast with out .

Quote Originally Posted by Elwe Feanorfin View Post
    Back to the topic at hand though, it is interesting that we are limited to 8 running apps as Active Frames. I wonder why there is a limit. The PB can run a lot more, albeit after 12 apps it begins to shut down I think. Ironically, even our older BBOS devices can have more than 8 on the multitasking menu.
    Not sure that this point if that will be in official release to limit it to 8, also you would not need more because of the integration on the device, you can tweet / update your status right from the hub so no need to open those apps
    Quote Originally Posted by G-bone View Post
    BlackBerry : We invented the Smartphone Business.
    We're takin' it Back!
    Thanked by:
    Elwe Feanorfin (12-03-2012) 
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2B1BC93C

Quote Originally Posted by AVPTI View Post
    The apps on the bottom of your list will close.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamezalexander View Post
    You can open more than 8 apps, but only 8 active frames will remain live in the homescreen with your last used apps closing as the poster above says
    From the Engadget BB10 preview video, the guy said it doesn't close it. The apps are still running, but it just doesn't show it. So if you close a newer app. It will become an Active Frame again.
    bluetroll likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mithrazor View Post
    From the Engadget BB10 preview video, the guy said it doesn't close it. The apps are still running, but it just doesn't show it. So if you close a newer app. It will become an Active Frame again.
    That is not true, it does not become an active frame again when it becomes the ninth app (least recent opened app) it gets close.
    We're takin' it Back!
    bluetroll likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,077 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

So I understand the active frames wont come back...but lets say my 8th application is FaceBook, and i open another app, that makes facebook the 9th app and will take it away from the active frames...does that mean it closed facebook completely? or is facebook still running, but I just have to access it through the app grid?
    CrackBerry Addict

Default Re: BB10 Multi Tasking Feature

Warning 8 active frames don't mean 8 applications in background.

Indeed in using card invokation, you can get several app in the same active frame.

Ex: hub -> mail -> pdf viewer -> share through BBM
    = 1 active frame

Nicolas
    PlayCloud 10 for Blackberry 10
    bluetroll likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    317 Global Posts

Default Re: BB10 Multi Tasking Feature

Quote Originally Posted by SlcCorrado View Post
    I don't care how many apps are running at once. The real issue is only having 8 apps in the recents list. I've been monitoring my habits and I've noticed that quite frequently I'll switch back to an app that's 10th or further in the list. It would be quite annoying if I had to dig up the icon again just because I hadn't used the app in a few minutes; even more so with BB10 because there's no way to go straight to your app grid (and more annoying still because opening that app up again would push another of the list).
    I'm trying to be nicer. If I say something that's not very nice, feel free to remind me
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by itmccb View Post
    I don't care how many apps are running at once. The real issue is only having 8 apps in the recents list. I've been monitoring my habits and I've noticed that quite frequently I'll switch back to an app that's 10th or further in the list. It would be quite annoying if I had to dig up the icon again just because I hadn't used the app in a few minutes; even more so with BB10 because there's no way to go straight to your app grid (and more annoying still because opening that app up again would push another of the list).
    If you are worried about finding the apps you use the most just arrange the icons the way you want them for example put the app that are used more often on the first app grid.

I personally do not find that it takes a long time to get to any app on my Dev Alpha because you can swipe through the grid panels or go to the grid panel you want, so I you know where all your icons are you would be fine.
    We're takin' it Back!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    468 Global Posts

9 would make more sense than 8. Taking a cue from the N9 having either 4 on screen, or 9 on screen (2x2 or 3x3) would make sense.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by masqueofhastur View Post
    9 would make more sense than 8. Taking a cue from the N9 having either 4 on screen, or 9 on screen (2x2 or 3x3) would make sense.
    They have 8 because there is two 2x2 panes, which gives developers one side for the active frames
    We're takin' it Back!