Wonder if blackberry were to charge BlackBerry 10 users a small monthly fee to keep developing the OS and new phones. Your thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    enrod87 likes this.
    08-27-16 05:54 PM
    There are no longer any BB10 developers left to keep. Over the years, BlackBerry has moved on from BBOS to BB10 to Android. There are still people happily using BBOS, so if BB10 is still working for you, stay with it for as long as you wish. At the moment, it's still working for me, but I can see that the time is coming for me to think about another OS.
    08-27-16 06:19 PM
    Wonder if blackberry were to charge BlackBerry 10 users a small monthly fee to keep developing the OS and new phones. Your thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    Sure all you need is 10 million users @ $60/year and signing a two year commitment.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-27-16 06:25 PM
    There are no longer any BB10 developers left to keep. Over the years, BlackBerry has moved on from BBOS to BB10 to Android. There are still people happily using BBOS, so if BB10 is still working for you, stay with it for as long as you wish. At the moment, it's still working for me, but I can see that the time is coming for me to think about another OS.
    There is 1 guy left building 10.3.3. Next year he will do 10.3.4. But hw s on holliday now.

Posted via CB10
    moyah8 and Maxxxpower like this.
    08-27-16 07:22 PM
    I don't think the biggest things impeding BB10 have anything to do support from BlackBerry, at this point. It is a much larger concern for most people to be losing the support of Whatsapp which has nothing to do with BlackBerry's in house development. That is a 3rd party company that they have lost the support of and that is what has been (and will keep on) happening and hurts far more than development of the OS itself.
    08-27-16 07:28 PM
    This has been discussed here before, the amount each person would have to pay a month to keep BlackBerry 10 alive would be absurd. It's a good idea but not really possible to execute based on the amount of BlackBerry 10 users there are willing to pay.
    08-27-16 08:13 PM
    There is 1 guy left building 10.3.3. Next year he will do 10.3.4. But hw s on holliday now.

Posted via CB10
    He compiled a new build on the production server yesterday so he's back from vacation.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing BlackBerry Passport (OG Red) <3
    08-27-16 11:58 PM
    I don't think it'll be enough to make it viable for BlackBerry but I most definitely would pay a monthly fee, even if it's like �30 a month or so.

chujcidotego likes this.
    08-27-16 11:59 PM
    The beta version I ruined my device! Blackberry logo stops. I look forward to the official version because it would be only on order. Slowly I feel like I will not be happy to 10.3.3 and I would write a "nice" letter of the most competent, but of course it would not get there ... Many people did the same, probably because they know this. At least some gesture allowed to grant a higher version number than the BETA to work! Or any solution to this ...
    08-28-16 12:27 AM
    The beta version I ruined my device! Blackberry logo stops. I look forward to the official version because it would be only on order. Slowly I feel like I will not be happy to 10.3.3 and I would write a "nice" letter of the most competent, but of course it would not get there ... Many people did the same, probably because they know this. At least some gesture allowed to grant a higher version number than the BETA to work! Or any solution to this ...
    You don't have to post this in more than one topic. But again: it's not a beta, it's a dev preview. And even if it was a beta, than 'beta' already describes that there's no guarantee that it would go right.

If you and, as you say, many people installed it anyway then you all ignored the warnings on the download page. It's not up to BlackBerry to unbrick your device at this point. Wait for the official 10.3.3 release.

08-28-16 02:58 AM
    I bought five BlackBerry 10 devices. I guess that's not enough?
    Which manufacturer has ever done so? To charge customers? I thought buying a phone did cost and did help. Well, I guess the good old days are over.

Posted via CB10
    moyah8 likes this.
    08-28-16 03:10 AM

Posted via CB10
    In order to be meaningful, it can't be a "small" fee.
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    08-28-16 03:46 AM
    I want Elon Musk to buy BlackBerry and then everything will be more awesome....

pmanousis likes this.
    08-28-16 04:17 AM
    Sure all you need is 10 million users @ $60/year and signing a two year commitment.

Does it really cost that much just to maintain it?

Posted via CB10
    08-28-16 10:55 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yes it will do,
    Servers,
    BlackBerry developers,
    BBW costs,
    Patents and licensing, remember even mp3 usage is licensed,
    Then there the support people who help over the phone or Internet,
    I'm sure they will have security researchers

Posted via CB10
    Ronindan likes this.
    08-28-16 11:28 AM
    That's the thing... people don't just want maintenance - they want development. Maintenance would probably cost $5M/year, but would mean - at best - keeping up with security patches and trying to fix things that are broken by evolving Internet standards (provided those changes aren't overly complicated). That's more-or-less what's happening now, with the two promised updates - and note that the first of those updates is already 6 months behind schedule.

But people aren't willing to pay for such minimal support - they won't feel it's worth it. Before they're willing to pay, they'll expect development-level work. That means new features, improving stock apps, etc. My rough, back-of-a-napkin numbers for that seems to be around $300M/year (consider that Google and Apple spend well over $1B/year, and you'll see that this isn't crazy).

If you could somehow manage to get 100,000 BB10 users to commit to paying a monthly fee to cover this cost for a 2-year period (the minimum it would be worth to have such a program, given the time it takes to get results), that would only cost $3000/year ($6000 for the life of the contract), or $250/month. Obviously if you couldn't get 100,000 users to pay this, then the price per user per month would have to go up accordingly.

How many people do you think are prepared to pay $3000/year to continue development of BB10 on their old handsets? Because, remember, we're not talking about releasing new models - THAT would cost much more.

This is why BB10 as a whole has resulted in a net loss to BB of about $9B. It would have been cheaper for BB to have never done any BB10 work at all, and just bought an iPhone or Galaxy S phone and GAVE it away than to sell the 13M or so BB10 phones they eventually sold. I'm not really sure most people are able to grasp the reality of that, but as good as the BB10 OS turned out, it was a colossal loss for BB the company.
    08-28-16 11:31 AM
    That's the thing... people don't just want maintenance - they want development. Maintenance would probably cost $5M/year, but would mean - at best - keeping up with security patches and trying to fix things that are broken by evolving Internet standards (provided those changes aren't overly complicated). That's more-or-less what's happening now, with the two promised updates - and note that the first of those updates is already 6 months behind schedule.

But people aren't willing to pay for such minimal support - they won't feel it's worth it. Before they're willing to pay, they'll expect development-level work. That means new features, improving stock apps, etc. My rough, back-of-a-napkin numbers for that seems to be around $300M/year (consider that Google and Apple spend well over $1B/year, and you'll see that this isn't crazy).

If you could somehow manage to get 100,000 BB10 users to commit to paying a monthly fee to cover this cost for a 2-year period (the minimum it would be worth to have such a program, given the time it takes to get results), that would only cost $3000/year ($6000 for the life of the contract), or $250/month. Obviously if you couldn't get 100,000 users to pay this, then the price per user per month would have to go up accordingly.

How many people do you think are prepared to pay $3000/year to continue development of BB10 on their old handsets? Because, remember, we're not talking about releasing new models - THAT would cost much more.

This is why BB10 as a whole has resulted in a net loss to BB of about $9B. It would have been cheaper for BB to have never done any BB10 work at all, and just bought an iPhone or Galaxy S phone and GAVE it away than to sell the 13M or so BB10 phones they eventually sold. I'm not really sure most people are able to grasp the reality of that, but as good as the BB10 OS turned out, it was a colossal loss for BB the company.
    If possible, I just want a few features if I'd pay a BB10 fee. But if not possible, then I'm happy with security updates-only as well.

You're right that maintenance is not that expensive. HP kept the webOS servers up and running for a few years after they pulled the plug. Given the loss they made on webOS and Leo Apotheker's plans that made shareholders angry thus dropping in value, they wouldn't have kept those servers running that long for so little customers (me included) unless it wasn't expensive.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing BlackBerry Passport (OG Red)
    08-28-16 12:49 PM

Posted via CB10
    Actually, I believe he went on a Pok�mon safari somewhere in Bulgaria...
    Carl Estes and anon(3732391) like this.
    08-28-16 11:30 PM
    Actually, I believe he went on a Pok�mon safari somewhere in Bulgaria...

Last edited by Lostboy5151; 08-29-16 at 10:00 AM.
    BergerKing likes this.
    08-29-16 09:45 AM
    In order to be meaningful, it can't be a "small" fee.
    "Don't think for a minute that we didn't notice how you snuck "meaningful" into the conversation!

(opps! wrong thread!!)
    08-29-16 09:53 AM
    I bought five BlackBerry 10 devices. I guess that's not enough?
    Which manufacturer has ever done so? To charge customers? I thought buying a phone did cost and did help. Well, I guess the good old days are over.

Posted via CB10
    Regarding "which manufacturer has ever done so?" - history is LITTERED with corporations that had to dis-continue lines or brands in order to stay alive. As an example, try to purchase an MG automobile, or wander into your friendly GM dealer and try to buy a new Pontiac. They DO NOT EXIST ANY MORE.

Unfortunately, trying to keep BB10 alive with a 0.2% market share is just not feasible - as evidenced by 3rd party apps like Whatsapp dropping support.

So, even if every BB10 user were paying a monthly fee to keep BB10 development active, IT'S THE OUTSIDE APP DEVELOPERS THAT ARE REALLY NEEDED - how do we interest those people again?
    08-29-16 11:33 AM
    It wasn't long ago that you were charged via your carrier a BlackBerry license fee. Guess what happened? People starting leaving BlackBerry, so they got rid of the license fee, guess what happened? People still left and are still leaving. It's a vicious circle. No apps equals no customers equals no developers equals no apps equals no customers equals Blackberry.
    08-29-16 01:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    Not enough people would want to pay. We could try and sugar-coat things for you but it would not be honest. Clearly, BlackBerry moved away from BB10 and does not plan any future development. Best thing is not to hope for something that has no chance of happening.
    BergerKing likes this.
    08-29-16 01:51 PM
    Not enough people would want to pay. We could try and sugar-coat things for you but it would not be honest. Clearly, BlackBerry moved away from BB10 and does not plan any future development. Best thing is not to hope for something that has no chance of happening.
    What about Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny?

08-29-16 03:36 PM
    What about Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny?
    I heard they both switched to iPhone last year.
    08-29-16 03:42 PM
36 12