This was started in BB10 app ideas, I thought it would be better for it to have its own thread.

Here is what Qaxl would like for a media player app, it stems from Winamp and having only one main screen for the media play.

PlayList Controls

These would be the main controls of the App, the most commonly used from these would be displayed at the bottom of the screen.
    Attachment 126648

Open New Playlist
    Allows the user to select between starting a New Blank Playlist, or opening a previously Saved Playlist. If any changes have been made to the exsting Playlist, then the user is prompted to allow to Discard or Save Changed to the current Playlist before opening a new one.

Add Music from Media Library
    Opens the Media Library to allow the user to select files to add to Playlist. Should allow selecting multiple files.

Add Music from File Manager
    Opens the File Manager to allow the user to select files or folders to add to playlist.

Add Playlist from Media Library
    Opens the Media Library and defaults to a Playlists View, to allow user to select Playlists to add to the Current Playlist.

Remove Music from Playlist
    Takes the user to the Now Playing List in a toned down Multiple Select Mode, to allow the user to select multiple files to remove from the Playlist.

Clear Playlist
    Removes all media from the current Playlist. Shows a warning message before doing so, and shows an "Undo" button as long as the "Back" button is visible

Select Multiple Items
    Takes the user to the Now Playing List in a Multiple Select Mode, to allow the user to select multiple items and then apply various changes through a context menu.

Sort
    Shows various options to re-arrange the media in the Playlist. Sorting would be possible by Track Number, Track Title, Artist Name, Album Name, File Name, Folder Path etc., This can be taken to the next level by adding a second layer of ordering. In that case, the first layer of ordering can be a grouping according to Album Name or Folder Path, and the second layer of ordering could be sorted according to Track Number or File Name.

Search within Playlist
    This would bring up the Keyboard, and allow the user to type in and search for a song in the current playlist.

Share Playlist
    In its most basic form this would create a simple text based list of all the songs in the Playlist and allow the user to share that over BBM, Facebook etc. In an advanced form this could extend to sharing Playlist files in Playlist format over NFC, and BBM to friends who have the same app (still just a concept)

Playlist Properties
    This would show detailed information about the Playlist. Information such as Name of Playlist and the Song List, along with how the Names of songs are displayed in the Playlist would be Editable by the user in this view. This would also be used to remove all songs from the playlist that have been deleted from device memory.

Save Playlist
    Allows the user to Over-write existing Playlist or to Save-as a New Playlist.

Delete Playlist
    Shows a Warning Message to make sure, then Deletes the current Playlist and Opens a New Blank Playlist
    Contextual Menus

These controls would be displayed when an item is selected from the playlist using Long Press, or the "Multiple Select" button is pressed. This would cause the Playlist to become editable using the context menus, and the selected items can be made to change positions by dragging similar to how the icons in the OS can be dragged to change position.
    Attachment 126649

Invert Selection
    Inverts the Selection.

Play (Disabled when more than one item is selected)
    Plays the selected item, if that item is already Playing, selecting this option will Play it from the Beginning

Send to Playlist
    Allows the user to send the selected items to an existing Playlist, or to create a New Playlist with the selected items.

Remove from Playlist
    Removes selected items from the Playlist

Queue after now Playing (Disabled when more than one item is selected)
    This could either move the selected items to right after the currently playing song, or it could make the player skip to the selected item after the current song finishes playing.

Move to Top of Playlist
    Moves selected items to the Top of the Playlist

Move to Bottom of Playlist
    Moves selected items to the Bottom of the Playlist

Add to Top of Playlist
    Adds (Duplicates) selected items to the Top of the Playlist

Add to Bottom of Playlist
    Adds (Duplicates) selected items to the Bottom of the Playlist

Share (Disabled when more than one item is selected)
    In its most basic form it could send the Name of the Song, and some of its information like ID3 tag in a text based format to a friend over BBM or Facebook.
    In its advanced form it may be possible to send the first 30 seconds of a song to a friend. (still just a concept)

Properties
    Allows the user to view detailed information about the selected items, and then edit information such as File Names, and ID3 tag information.

Open containing Folder (Disabled when more than one item is selected)
    Opens the File Manager app to the path of the selected file.

Delete
    Removes the selected files from the Device Memory.
    Application Settings

I didn't know where they should go, maybe in the menu with 3 dots, or the menu which slides down when swiping from the top.
    Attachment 126650

Media Library
    This would open the Medial Library for browsing

Scan Media Library
    This would Scan the Media Card and Device Memory for any changes to the Media Files

CoverFlow View
    I got this idea when you mentioned that the Playlist title bar could be used to swipe to the next playlist. I thought maybe it could be possible to view a coverflow type thing through the Application Menu which opens with a top down bezel swipe. So you Swipe down from any view and see some 3 or 5 Playlists in a CoverFlow layout and then scroll to the required playlist.

Colour Themes
    To switch the Colours of the App

Settings
    Well ... this could be used for some settings.

Playlist Expand / Retract
    As a backup Plan.
    Last edited by big bb; 12-13-12 at 09:19 AM.
    11-28-12 08:56 AM
    10' UI when plugged into hdmi or via dlna.
    (or just port xbmc)

BB10 Media Player App Wish List-44031246.jpg
    cuong205a likes this.
    11-28-12 09:10 AM
    Since this is a new thread I would like to share my original thoughts behind an app like this..

Its not that there won't be a good default player, i think all modern smartphones and tablets have good media players, but they usually work in different ways than i would like them to. I've been using Winamp for as long as I can remember, and I have always wanted something similar to that on a mobile device but never quite found anything like it. It seems that for a mobile device the media players start focusing on things other than the music itself, so i would like to have an app that is simple, honest, and is familiar to anyone who has used Winamp...
    11-29-12 07:52 AM
    While not "native" i have been using my side-loaded winamp since the android player was released for the playbook. also using it now on my dev alpha. Of course would not mind some native-app alternatives
    11-29-12 03:12 PM
    While not "native" i have been using my side-loaded winamp since the android player was released for the playbook. also using it now on my dev alpha. Of course would not mind some native-app alternatives
    I was just looking at the Android Winamp this weekend because i had to pick up a nexus 4 for work. (Love my Dev Alpha a lot more then the nexus 4, but it is the nicest Android device i have played with)

After playing with Winamp for Android I realized how similar the app I was kind of working on with Qaxl's help.
    12-02-12 09:45 PM
    Since this is a new thread I would like to share my original thoughts behind an app like this..
    Sorry it took so long to responded to you I have been really busy. In my head I have kind of changed how the app would look. When I get some time to put my ideas down on paper i will post it here. I was also thinking of making it more gesture based.
    12-02-12 09:50 PM
    Sorry it took so long to responded to you I have been really busy. In my head I have kind of changed how the app would look. When I get some time to put my ideas down on paper i will post it here. I was also thinking of making it more gesture based.
    I'd like to see how your design comes out ... my design was just a concept of how Cascades could mix with Winamp, but yeah it could use some creativity, and that Gestures thing sounds nice ... I'd be happy as long as the focus remains on the the Now Playing List with adding, removing, songs from it, changing their order etc. all on the go.
    12-03-12 08:55 AM
    I'd like to see how your design comes out ... my design was just a concept of how Cascades could mix with Winamp, but yeah it could use some creativity, and that Gestures thing sounds nice ... I'd be happy as long as the focus remains on the the Now Playing List with adding, removing, songs from it, changing their order etc. all on the go.
    Sorry it is taking so long to get back to you. I have had to a fresh install of everything on both of my computer, one computer the hard drive was failing, and the other got some corrupted system files. Once I am finished with the computers I will try to do a quick drawing on what i had in mind
    12-05-12 08:09 AM
    I also want to see a feature to "fast forward" and "rewind". Like in VLC media player, you can play videos at 1x (normal) 1.5x....2x...3x..4x..and speeds. Like in tape/vcr players! This feature exists in VLC Media Player.
    12-05-12 04:56 PM
    I'd love to have a visualizer like on Windows Media Player, just a full screen animation of some sort while music's playing.
    EsJayDee likes this.
    12-05-12 05:25 PM
    Need a repeat and shuffle added to the OP's idea.
    12-05-12 07:46 PM
    I think this media player concept is gold. You two, keep up the good work, it looks great in that video.
    Qaxl likes this.
    12-07-12 10:57 PM
    Qaxl what if on the main screen all you mainly saw was the album art and the playlist, but instead of scrolling up and down with the list it is left and right and only takes up about 200 pixels at the bottom of the screen, Then have other thing come into the screen by a gesture, example swipe from the right bezel in and it could being in a list of the different playlist (list when your in the hub and swiping to the active frame screen) and you can edit them there.
    12-09-12 11:06 PM
    I also want to see a feature to "fast forward" and "rewind". Like in VLC media player, you can play videos at 1x (normal) 1.5x....2x...3x..4x..and speeds. Like in tape/vcr players! This feature exists in VLC Media Player.
    Need a repeat and shuffle added to the OP's idea.
    Take a look at these early concept designs, you can find the repeat and shuffle toggle buttons in the top right corner. As for the Rewind and Fast Forward buttons, I included than in the initial designs, but later i phased them out for a more streamlined look, besides i thought they really wouldn't be needed in an app that is primarily a music player, we haven't discussed anything about video yet.

BB10 Media Player App Wish List-winamp-720x720-alpha.jpg
    Notice the Shuffle, and Repeat buttons .. also the rewind and forward buttons.

BB10 Media Player App Wish List-wianmp-pull-tab.jpg
    Notice how the lack of rewind and forward allows for a more streamlined look. But you are welcome to share your ideas how those could be implemented.

I'd love to have a visualizer like on Windows Media Player, just a full screen animation of some sort while music's playing.
    I'd like that too, some kind of animated visualisation, like milk drop or something, but i think it will be difficult to implement that, only big bb can answer that one.

Qaxl what if on the main screen all you mainly saw was the album art and the playlist, but instead of scrolling up and down with the list it is left and right and only takes up about 200 pixels at the bottom of the screen, Then have other thing come into the screen by a gesture, example swipe from the right bezel in and it could being in a list of the different playlist (list when your in the hub and swiping to the active frame screen) and you can edit them there.
    I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say here, what should be at the bottom with 200 pixels and going left and right ?
    I was thinking maybe in the playlist we could show the album art next to each song's name, like the pictures in the contacts application, or how BBM contacts are displayed, also take a look at the SoundNine app for the Playbook. This way we could eliminate the top portion of the screen and concentrate on the now playing list .. since that is the focus of the app. Just a thought.

Big bb, could you make the attachments appear in the first post of this thread? currently they are just links.
    12-13-12 04:29 AM
    The images should show up now, I had to take them out of the quote.

As for the bottom that I was referring to, It would be the list of song in the currently selected playlist, but instead of scrolling the list up and down, we could have it scroll left and right to see the songs in the list.
    That is just a drawing I did in a min.
    Attached Thumbnails BB10 Media Player App Wish List-mediascreen.jpg  
    12-13-12 09:41 AM
    Will I be able to buy FLAC files??? Am now using Neutron player on PB.
    12-13-12 09:59 AM
    This looks very much like the stock android music player i have in my Sony Xperia (you can google its pictures). I know this would look nice, but it detracts from the reason i wanted this app to exist in the first place.... The Playlist.

This design has some drawbacks such as not being able to see what are the next or previous songs, i mean there is a button for next or previous song but whats the point if u cant see them, you never know what its going to be, so it feels like an ipod shuffle.
    One of the most important features for me was to be able to have a Now Playing List that can be efficiently manipulated. Easy to add to, remove from, change order etc. all this would be marginalised in this design.

I think what i saw in the video was much closer to how i wanted this app to turn out. But i do like your idea about using gestures, i'll think of a newer design which incorporates that.
    EsJayDee likes this.
    12-13-12 10:31 AM
    This looks very much like the stock android music player i have in my Sony Xperia (you can google its pictures). I know this would look nice, but it detracts from the reason i wanted this app to exist in the first place.... The Playlist.

This design has some drawbacks such as not being able to see what are the next or previous songs, i mean there is a button for next or previous song but whats the point if u cant see them, you never know what its going to be, so it feels like an ipod shuffle.
    One of the most important features for me was to be able to have a Now Playing List that can be efficiently manipulated. Easy to add to, remove from, change order etc. all this would be marginalised in this design.

I think what i saw in the video was much closer to how i wanted this app to turn out. But i do like your idea about using gestures, i'll think of a newer design which incorporates that.
    That was just something I thought of to keep the qwerty and touch versions looking similar without having a lot on the screen.
    12-13-12 10:45 AM
    Sorry Qaxl it has been a while, I have been extremely busy. I should have some time in the next week.
    12-31-12 09:07 AM
    Hello Qaxl,

I'm a music lover and a developer too ;o)
    I like your idea, how you want to listen your songs.
    I had a similar idea and turn it into a PlayBook app called 'Next Songs'. When I want to listen to music, I turn on my PlayBook and launch Next Songs, and the music starts.
    Music is randomly choosen on the Playbook and I can see the next songs to be played, skip to one particular song, remove one, switch positions, etc...
    Here you go with your idea(s), I like the possibilty to add a song, or better a playlist. I think it will be a good improvement to my app because for now you need to let the chance choose the songs for you.

I really need to work on a BB10 version of my app NOW !

Laurent
    Qaxl likes this.
    01-09-13 09:33 AM
    Hey Guys,
    Great ideas!
    I've been thinking about this for a long time, and wondered if this might be a good forum to mention it: has anyone thought about song ratings? I'll admit, I started using iTunes a few years back, and actually don't mind it. It seems to be the only place I've seen where you can "star" a song (1-5 stars actually). I really like this, because I build playlists based on the star count. It helps filter out the not-so-good songs on an album . So, I currently sync songs between iTunes and my Torch (os 6), my Curve (os7.1) as well as with my PlayBook. None of the default media players on those 3 different BlackBerry OS's seem to support the stars, and so it got me to wondering if it was "an Apple-only" thing, or if its just something that I use and no-one else really does? My 2 cents. Good luck with the development of you BB10 media player!
    01-09-13 11:35 AM
    Hello Qaxl,

I'm a music lover and a developer too ;o)
    I like your idea, how you want to listen your songs.
    I had a similar idea and turn it into a PlayBook app called 'Next Songs'. When I want to listen to music, I turn on my PlayBook and launch Next Songs, and the music starts.
    Music is randomly choosen on the Playbook and I can see the next songs to be played, skip to one particular song, remove one, switch positions, etc...
    Here you go with your idea(s), I like the possibilty to add a song, or better a playlist. I think it will be a good improvement to my app because for now you need to let the chance choose the songs for you.

I really need to work on a BB10 version of my app NOW !

Laurent
    I saw your app it looks cool, I was thinking your app downloads album art on the go, if you could make it download artist fanart and then use it as a background image for each song it would look nice like XBMC

Hey Guys,
    Great ideas!
    I've been thinking about this for a long time, and wondered if this might be a good forum to mention it: has anyone thought about song ratings? I'll admit, I started using iTunes a few years back, and actually don't mind it. It seems to be the only place I've seen where you can "star" a song (1-5 stars actually). I really like this, because I build playlists based on the star count. It helps filter out the not-so-good songs on an album . So, I currently sync songs between iTunes and my Torch (os 6), my Curve (os7.1) as well as with my PlayBook. None of the default media players on those 3 different BlackBerry OS's seem to support the stars, and so it got me to wondering if it was "an Apple-only" thing, or if its just something that I use and no-one else really does? My 2 cents. Good luck with the development of you BB10 media player!
    Sure we could look into star ratings, but i've never used them personally , but I see how they could be useful.
    01-12-13 06:16 AM
    Here is another concept, I was trying to make the album art on top a swipe-scroll thing, and wanted to have the PlayList Name display on top my final design looked alot like the BBOS music player on my phone so i just took a pic of it and pasted it on top.

Also, I liked how much information they gave in each row for the songs including an Title, Artist Name, Genre, Time and even a small thumbnail of the album art, although i do think, the album art becomes a bit redundant since its there at the top too and id really like the list to be numbered

Anyways here are the pics, now its more of a Winamp + BBOS Music Player + Cascades mashup .. but im really loving it !

What do you think ?

BB10 Media Player App Wish List-winamp-bbos.jpg

I think the top part, above the seek bar, can have a touch sensitive bezel on the side, swipe in from the side to go to next playlist or something.
    EsJayDee likes this.
    01-12-13 06:33 AM
    I was wondering, would it be possible to include lyrics for the songs as they're playing? I've seen this on my sisters old android phone (photon I think) and soundhound's player also does this now. I think this would be a nice addition.
    01-21-13 11:00 AM
    Sorry Qaxl it has been a while, I have been extremely busy. I should have some time in the next week.
    Any progress yet ?
    01-23-13 01:31 AM
45 12