Many U.S and other law enforcement authorities are calling for the implementation of a "kill switch" on all mobile devices so that in the event the device is stolen it can be bricked by either the carrier or the user themselves.

in keeping with their leading position in mobile security, BB needs to be the first to implement this on BB10, and the sooner the better.

In addition, the ability to wipe the device after 10 improper password attempts should be augmented, in my opinion, with the device being permanently bricked. Wiped and not recoverable in ANY WAY. Its a paper weight from that point on.

Now i might be amenable to recovery of the device if returned to BB, but only with sufficient documentation from the carrier just to cover the doughheads that might get there, somehow, innocently. But they would have to convince me that this is not duplicable by any third party
    06-17-13 12:23 PM
    Many U.S and other law enforcement authorities are calling for the implementation of a "kill switch" on all mobile devices so that in the event the device is stolen it can be bricked by either the carrier or the user themselves.

in keeping with their leading position in mobile security, BB needs to be the first to implement this on BB10, and the sooner the better.
    Unless Im misunderstanding what you are saying this has been a feature of BB going back years. If you're connected through BES the administrator can do this, if you are just an end user you can do this using BB Protect.
    06-17-13 12:26 PM
    Unless Im misunderstanding what you are saying this has been a feature of BB going back years. If you're connected through BES the administrator can do this, if you are just an end user you can do this using BB Protect.
    My understanding was the device could be wiped remotely, but not rendered inoperative (bricked).

Bricking is the theft deterrent aspect that law enforcement are after in order to render the device useless, and hence of little value.

Yes/No?
    06-17-13 12:34 PM
    My understanding was the device could be wiped remotely, but not rendered inoperative (bricked).

Bricking is the theft deterrent aspect that law enforcement are after in order to render the device useless, and hence of little value.

Yes/No?
    Unless there is some way to permanently brick it a lot of people revive bricked berry's
    06-17-13 12:50 PM
    Unless there is some way to permanently brick it a lot of people revive bricked berry's
    i would have no trouble with physically damaging the device internally. there should be enough energy even in a depleted battery to blow up a critical IC if engineered correctly.
    06-17-13 12:54 PM
    I am ok with something like this as long as any law mandates when the authority makes a mistake, customer gets a) free phone, b)$1000 payable within 7 days, adding an extra $1000 for every week the customer is not paid. Unless there is some teeth here you know they are just going to start abusing innocent people. Organizations do not have a conscious.
    southlander and raw_dog like this.
    06-17-13 01:01 PM
    I am ok with something like this as long as any law mandates when the authority makes a mistake, customer gets a) free phone, b)$1000 payable within 7 days, adding an extra $1000 for every week the customer is not paid. Unless there is some teeth here you know they are just going to start abusing innocent people. Organizations do not have a conscious.
    sure, sounds good to me, but i got my doubts about that aspect of it happening...
    06-17-13 01:07 PM
    Not sure about all this. Certain cars are hot theft targets. I see no mandates to implement rendering the cars undrive-able if stolen.

By the time the government could get something like this to happen smartphones will all be commodities anyhow and so cheap there'd be less theft incentives. Worthless.
    06-17-13 02:11 PM
    Every phone has a serial number and several other numbers that are tracked just like an auto VIN number. Carriers can block stolen devices if they were required to.
    southlander likes this.
    06-17-13 02:17 PM
    I believe even after a wipe, the bb10 retains the password.
    Correct me if I'm wrong.
    06-17-13 02:24 PM
    A number of people have reported that their BB10 devices have been lockedout after being reported lost or stolen. This is probably the best scenario, the device is usless unless the holder can provide enough documentation to convince the manufacturer to remove the lock. If that procedure becomes widespread the value of stolen, or undocumented used phones will crash without the need to destroy them.

The solution Apple introduced int iOS 7 has merrit, as does a persitent password on any phone, but requires that the user set a strong password. Very few users actually do that.
    06-17-13 03:05 PM
    Seems like a software solution would work just fine. no need to install a "self destruct" mechanism - http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/10/ap...tivation-lock/
    06-17-13 03:15 PM