Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678
Like Tree231Likes

Global Posts
    5,823 Global Posts
    PIN
    7901FC6B

Quote Originally Posted by GTiLeo View Post
    i never said it was hard, i said in earlier posts thats my only concern about Android but hving to load things to keep these things at bay will also put some extra stress on the hardware as keeping an A/V program open will add to the usage of RAM and the CPU
    What do you mean having to load things to keep those things at bay? Antivirus software is just an app. For example I use avg. It doesn't run unless I download a new app from the store, or if I choose to do a random scan. It doesn't tax the ram and cpu at all. There are similar antivirus apps in the BB app world.
    Everyone, everyone, stop fighting! Look unto me! I possess the blue flag! I wield the power infinite! The universal fabric is mine to unravel! My every thought becomes reality! Mountains will fall! Seas will boil! Day will be at night! People will...run...chicks'll dig me!

Global Posts
    5,823 Global Posts
    PIN
    7901FC6B

Quote Originally Posted by mnc76 View Post
    @OP

Sorry, but what the heck are you talking about? It doesn't sound like you've ever seen BB10 in a video.

Spend at least 20 minutes or so watching some videos and explain how Bezel gestures (which Android doesn't have) and the peek/flow system (which Android doesn't have) with the layered panes of apps (which Android doesn"t have) happen to be 'just like Android'. I could go on but that would be a waste of my time.

And how you can say Win Phone 8 is innovating while BB10 is not is beyond me (note: I'm not implying WP8 has no innovations)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    Actually Android does have it's own version of Hub, although not as robust as BB's. In the pull down window, you get ongoing notifications as well as new notifications, whereas BB includes notifications you have already checked, giving you a place to go back and check everything you'd need.

Android doesn't have bezel gestures, but they're moving away from physical buttons in favor of onscreen buttons. Also, several apps have moved to multi-pane views. For example, with the youtube app you have the main pane, then you swipe from the side to get a scrollable pane that shows your account, suggestions, uploads, etc.
    Everyone, everyone, stop fighting! Look unto me! I possess the blue flag! I wield the power infinite! The universal fabric is mine to unravel! My every thought becomes reality! Mountains will fall! Seas will boil! Day will be at night! People will...run...chicks'll dig me!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    702 Global Posts

Default Re: BB10 - just a heavilly skinned version of Android?

Quote Originally Posted by pantlesspenguin View Post
    What do you mean having to load things to keep those things at bay? Antivirus software is just an app. For example I use avg. It doesn't run unless I download a new app from the store, or if I choose to do a random scan. It doesn't tax the ram and cpu at all. There are similar antivirus apps in the BB app world.
    I think debating facts regarding the competition is fruitless on this forum. No offense, but I honestly have never run across a bigger group of technologically illiterate folks on a phone forum in my adult life. This will be good for BlackBerry however, as most diehard users will believe all of these features that have been out for a year or more are fresh and exciting new innovations...that's not a bad thing and one that RIM is probably counting on. I can't tell you how many times I've seen "no other phone has that picture feature"...blah blah blah. That picture feature has been around since the S3 and Note 2 were released. Oh well...

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    tlgem likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    245 Global Posts

Well I would base my opinion of Android off the version I have running on my TouchPad. The problem some of you don't seem to understand is that Android runs on lots of different hardware so people's opinions will be different based upon the hardware it was used on. If some other phones have more features then the stock Android then fine but don't act like it's universal for every variant of hardware or that everyone has the same experiences as most people don't have the time to know about every possible device out there.

Comparing Android on my TouchPad to BB10 is a no contest in favor of BB10. Some people like myself just don't like the UI of Android. It's very clunky to me and even forgetting about the UI I also happen to prefer a real-time microkernel OS but I guess that makes me technologically illiterate.
    Last edited by matt4pack; 01-18-2013 at 09:16 AM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,979 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Admorris View Post
    I think debating facts regarding the competition is fruitless on this forum. No offense, but I honestly have never run across a bigger group of technologically illiterate folks on a phone forum in my adult life. This will be good for BlackBerry however, as most diehard users will believe all of these features that have been out for a year or more are fresh and exciting new innovations...that's not a bad thing and one that RIM is probably counting on. I can't tell you how many times I've seen "no other phone has that picture feature"...blah blah blah. That picture feature has been around since the S3 and Note 2 were released. Oh well...

A couple people disagree with your opinion and that makes this the forum with the most technologically illiterate folks you've ever experienced in your adult life. That is pretty dramatic stuff.

Global Posts
    5,823 Global Posts
    PIN
    7901FC6B

Quote Originally Posted by D_March View Post
    A couple people disagree with your opinion and that makes this the forum with the most technologically illiterate folks you've ever experienced in your adult life. That is pretty dramatic stuff.
    I agree. I wouldn't go that far at all. People don't know what they don't know. If they don't have access or experience to other devices and don't take the time to do research before making claims, that doesn't make them technology illiterate. And I'm sure people who haven't used BB since OS6 have made some pretty outdated claims about BB as well.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,380 Global Posts

Default BB10 - just a heavilly skinned version of Android?

Quote Originally Posted by mnc76 View Post
    darkehawke The main resemblance I see is the dark colour scheme. I've never seen anything on Jelly Bean that to me resmbles peek/flow. The closest thing is the pull-down notifications, but that is not at all like the peek/flow system.

Maybe you can elaborate? I'd be interested to see the pseudo peek/flow system you mentioned (my dad has a galaxy nexus i play with).

the way i see it is the android notification bar is peek and flow, just not as robust.
    we can agree to disagree but in terms of real use, there is only a slight difference between the two, that being android only works for new messages and bb10 can work for old ones.
    if you want to point out differences, i mentioned in another thread that the hub is better to use then peek and flow.
    the way it integrates with the calendar and contacts all in one place is something i havent seen the like off yet on android. dunno about ios cos i dont have access to those devices

Primary Device: Moto X
    Backup Device: Blackberry Z10

Global Posts
    10,257 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Admorris View Post

Well, whenever members start out with a disclaimer(No Offense).....it's downhill from there even if the comments are totally relevant or on point. To me, it's less of people not knowing and more of members wanting RIM to move forward.......whether they buy another BlackBerry or a GS4- later. At least that's what I've noticed on here and other BlackBerry sites that have other forums for different platforms. There is a reason it's called CrackBerry and not CrackApple or CrackAndroid......and btw, I have all three. Anyway, if you understand that when you join, you are less likely to waste time criticizing those that do....what they do- whether knowledgeable enough for your debates or too illiterate based on you.
    Yes, Anger Management does work. 5th time is the charm.
    Thanked by:
    Branta (01-18-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    1,291 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdhooghe View Post
    I completely agree with you except for me it looked like iOS and when I asked, people jumped down my throats. I asked what differentiated BB10 from the competition and got some "you are a troll" remarks at the very beginning but other people kindly took the time to answer my question. For me, BB10 does look like iOS but the main things that have going for it are multitasking, peeking and security. I'm not convinced that people are going to go for a BB when all they see, whether this is true or not, an iPhone clone. The average person just doesn't care about the things that BB is doing. For me, BB10 looks really cool and I want to get a Z10 even if it is going to look like iOS just because I've never had a BB before and I would love to use it and experience it. Anyway, my 2 cents. I just hope people don't continue to jump down your throat just because you're an outsider wanting to know the differences instead of just drinking the Blackberry cool-aid.

But that is the thing. They aren't going for the average smartphone user. They are going for the BlackBerry users. And that's all they need to stay third place.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    702 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blacklatino View Post

Well, whenever members start out with a disclaimer(No Offense).....it's downhill from there even if the comments are totally relevant or on point. To me, it's less of people not knowing and more of members wanting RIM to move forward.......whether they buy another BlackBerry or a GS4- later. At least that's what I've noticed on here and other BlackBerry sites that have other forums for different platforms. There is a reason it's called CrackBerry and not CrackApple or CrackAndroid......and btw, I have all three. Anyway, if you understand that when you join, you are less likely to waste time criticizing those that do....what they do- whether knowledgeable enough for your debates or too illiterate based on you.
    Yea, my post came off a little snobbish...for that I apologize. I just get frustrated sometimes with misinformation. My apologies.

Thanked by:
    Blacklatino (01-18-2013) 
    D_March likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts

It's true! Just like a Ferrari is really just a heavily skinned version of a Hyundai.

(Shakes his head in disgust, and walks away...)

Quote Originally Posted by Blacklatino View Post

It went downhill simply because most of the posters couldn't stay close to the original topic and got dragged into debate with a few shills mouthing about the capability of products that don't compete with any BlackBerry smartphone. I looked and started to identify the off-topic posts for removal then came to the conclusion that the thread has been so comprehensively hijacked it is beyond reasonable moderation The other options are close or delete - I think close is more appropriate.

The simple fact is that all modern smartphones are much more than the visual appearance of the UI, and the look of the UI does not the capability of the phone. Leaving aside legal contraints a competent programmer can make any phone's UI resemble a competitor's product although the phone's capability, technical design, and software are completely different. Apple -v- Samsung proved that perfectly in front of Judge Koh.
    <a href="http://www.galatis.de/starboard.php?d=5518"><!-- Something special for the spammers --></a>
    CrackBerry... where only Stupid People fight about Smart Phones
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678