Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree231Likes
    CrackBerry User

Default BB10 - just a heavilly skinned version of Android?

Your last BB was the Storm and Blackberry has grown since then.You should be firm on your opinions.They should be based on facts rather than criticism.

You are comparing 2 different OS without checking your facts and you expect to get it easy from BB10 fans,Really??

Go to youtube and check out videos of what BB10 offers.Educate yourself on what the OS offers and maybe,just maybe you can answer your questions.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    Blackberry 9800Blackberry 9810, Blackberry Z10 with PlayBerry 64GB

Quote Originally Posted by jdhooghe View Post
    Attachment 131579

Doesn't look all that different to me. Honestly, people need to understand what this guy is trying to get across. Just because he is asking some good questions doesn't mean he is a troll
    Sure the icon grid might look similar but there really is only so much you can do with an icon grid. Claiming bb10 is a skinned version of android is a load of **** and you really need to know the core of it to make a claim like that and the core of bb10is nothing like android, android is a Linux based os and bb10 is QNX and they share nothing similar besides the code style they are written in.
    BergerKing likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

If its a 'heavily skinned version of android', then you and the whole android community should jump ship to BB10 as it is an:

Android + BlackBerry's awesome security + BBM + excellent e-mail service + best browser for a mobile + .....

BB10 all the way.
    BergerKing and spike12 like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,374 Global Posts

as usual a legit question gets asked, and half the responses are completely trolls. especially the ones accusing the op of being a troll. grow up.
    at least the other half responded properly.
    fact is bb10 does look like a skinned version of android or even iOS. people say that there isnt any other way of laying out your ui, but i think its purposely done this way to allow people to familarise themselves quicker with the os.
    but although they look similar, the fundamentals are different meaning it will be different once you use it, but screenshots cant show the difference.
    as people have said, your concerns should be answered on the 30th when we see bb10 in all its glory.

Primary Device: Moto X
    Backup Device: Blackberry Z10
    BergerKing and H4zN like this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

Once you use BB10, you'll understand why they aren't the same thing.
    BergerKing likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by darkehawke View Post
    as usual a legit question gets asked, and half the responses are completely trolls. especially the ones accusing the op of being a troll. grow up.
    at least the other half responded properly.
    fact is bb10 does look like a skinned version of android or even iOS. people say that there isnt any other way of laying out your ui, but i think its purposely done this way to allow people to familarise themselves quicker with the os.
    but although they look similar, the fundamentals are different meaning it will be different once you use it, but screenshots cant show the difference.
    as people have said, your concerns should be answered on the 30th when we see bb10 in all its glory.

When you think about it ever app has an icon. It's the easiest way to open up an application, now icons can be formed differently but still are icons. The simplest icon would be what we use now and personally I think this is the peak of icon style. I'm sure animated icons can be made but this just adds unnecessary lag to the system, a cool pretty feature but really its not needed. Widgets, live tiles, active frames are all forms of icon but they have a different function to them.

One thing I would like to see is how MS windows does icons and how you can move them around and place them in a scatters position but this is limited by the screen space of mobile devices. Would also be cool if this desktop style was availible but could be zoomed in the area where the icon that you need is, a cool suggestion but an unproductive one
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts

Android is pretty cool but then so is iphone. It might have some similarities to android but it's the things that separates it that's important. There is a good reason rim went with the option of creating their own proprietary software v an open source, which they will unveil to us in 2 weeks time.

If the only argument an opponent has is that bb10 looks similar to the competition, I'm of the opinion that bb10 is going to dominate
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cjcampbell View Post
    WP8 is different off the start, but they still have the same app layout beyond that screen.
    No it doesn't
    BergerKing likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,144 Global Posts
    PIN
    2aed1ace

Quote Originally Posted by Branta View Post
    There are a limited number of ways to design a good UI - look at your car, and consider whether it is rather similar to most other cars.
    This, I think, is the point. Every time I read a complaint that BB10 is the same as Android or iOS I have to wonder just what people expect. There's a screen. From that screen, you need to access the things the phone can do. For this we have icons. We could, I suppose, have a list, written in words instead. I doubt this would be regarded as a breakthrough. The icons have to be arranged somehow. A grid is an efficient use of space.

We could go back to this sort of thing, from the SideKick:

BB10 - just a heavilly skinned version of Android?-lx2009screenshot.jpg

There, the icons were arranged on a "dial", as you see. That worked well back in an era when there were relatively few apps available. And in any case, the SideKick was a keyboard phone, allowing the user to define keyboard launch shortcuts. I seriously doubt that the dial approach would work on BB10 or any other modern platform.

The industry has converged on a standard: icons on a grid. The user gets to arrange them. It's a standard because it works. It's what happens after you stop staring at the phone and start using it that distinguishes one platform from the rest. Here BB10 will have a very distinct personality. That doesn't mean it will do things in a way that is utterly different from anything else. It means that the overall feel of the device and the user experience will be different. Like a car, it needs to be familiar enough to be able to use quickly, without having to spend a lot of time studying manuals; but it also needs to offer the user some things that are special. I think BB10 will succeed in these two respects. It's not just like Android or iOS, but it's not so different that it takes a long time to figure it out.
    Thanked by:
    pantlesspenguin (01-17-2013) 
    CrackBerry Addict

I've had extensive experience with Android and iOS and both have their good points. I've also played with a Dev Alpha unit for a few hours last week. I currently use BlackBerry hardware because it works for me, but I'm old enough and experienced enough not to be a fanboy, I'll always use what works for me and fulfills my needs and wants. That's BB right now, but ask me in 5 years.

Having said that BB10 is the first OS that actually made me say "Wow!" out loud when I first used it. It literally brought a smile to my face. Just a simple gesture like sliding up and to the right proves that this is more than just another OS. In fact, from what I saw in my brief visit with it I'd go as far to say that BB10 is ground-breaking in certain aspects. I've never seen a keyboard like this one before, one that's so intuitive you can write whole sentences by barely typing anything! There are other aspects that are really unique but you get the picture.

You may think BB10 looks like Android, but just wait until you get your hands on it. I'm not saying it'll (re)convert you, it's not for everyone, but it is an OS that, at least, deserves to be considered. Why not try and get an invite to one of the launch parties that are going on, or one of the Enterprise sessions that start the week following the launch? Maybe that way you'll get a chance at some early, extended exposure.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by _BlackCherry_ View Post
    I do not usually do this, but alright.

You want to know the difference between Android and BlackBerry 10. Android is, in simple terms, your average geeky operating system that kids and geeks love to play around with. De facto, it is another great toy that is convenient to the masses. And that is due to the fact that the software is shipped with cheap(er) hardware. As far as the average Joe/Jane is concerned, I do not believe they even know their smartphone is running Android. The phone is well marketed, the price appealling, and the overall package seems to be a great alternative to the overpriced iPhone. Now, does this mean it's any good? Some people go with the flow, follow the trends and consume without knowing anything about the product they're purchasing. Whilst others, who can think for themselves, make the right choices. Now i am not saying that BlackBerry is the right phone for all these people out there, but it all comes down to a matter of taste. You want to go with the flow, purchase an average product that is buggy, not secured but excellent for leisure, entertainment and such? Be my guest. But the people that seek quality - the same people that have been handling the same company's phones for over a decade -, stability, security, and a platform that makes you get things done rather than played around with... know which phone to buy. At last, i will not enumerate all the BB's advantages, but I will simply state this: Consumers have to adapt Android to their needs, whilst BB 10 adapts itself to its user's needs. For example: the keyboard, which is years ahead of any other keyboard (yes, the virtual one). Watch videos, and then think for yourself. And see how beautifully this keyboard adapts to the user. You can even write in two or three different languages, it will still adapt itself to what you're doing. You don't even have to think. The Active Frames work the same way. You do not have to set them as you would on Android. They adapt themselves to your current needs. And I believe that's where the future of QNX lays. Adapting itself to the user, rather than the opposite.
    Excellent, well thoughtout opinion. Thank you for sharing.
    I must admit, although I am a loyal BB user, I have waivered at times.
    I just can't get excited about the alternatives.
    Here's hoping BB10 is all I expect it to be!
    Thanked by:
    _BlackCherry_ (01-17-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    PIN
    25DDF6E3

Quote Originally Posted by Masahiro View Post
    Like I said, let's wait for January 30th. No one can say for sure what exactly will be the differences until we see final hardware/software and ultimately when we have the devices in our hands.
    Exactly, this is why I think RIM should have started more buzz marketing. I know there was the NYT ad and the BlackBerry 10 - Official News and Updates at BlackBerry.com - Global site but I think they could do more IMHO. Thr stupid (IMO) surface commercial that I have seen 1000 times on TV doesn't do anything more than create product awareness.
    Last edited by sectionsix; 01-17-2013 at 08:52 AM.
    Owner of T-Mobile Bold 9780 and a 16GB Playbook
    @sectionsix
    CrackBerry Newbie

"android is a Linux based os and bb10 is QNX and they share nothing similar besides the code style they are written in"
    Great point, and to that I would add QNX was designed by RIM, unlike Linux based open market os that droid is using. So naturally BB will have a unique quality version os that sets it apart from droid/ijunk. Security is at the forefront and I'm excited to hear the keyboard on z10 will be beyond the others, that is what keeps me locked to bb! I've been hesitant with touch screen until recent leaks and info reveal keyboard details, im not a fan of my wifes samsung galaxy! Jan 30th will be bittersweet, i want the z10 right then!
    - b e s t e e -
    sent from my 'waiting for launch to update to bb10' bb curve
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,038 Global Posts

But i think its purposely done this way to allow people to familarise themselves quicker with the os.
    I think this is a big, important point. If the OS is too 'out there', people may struggle with picking it up. It's one of the things I hear all the time when people look at Windows Phone (which I think is super innovative). It's too far removed for many and they put it down.
    ------------------------------------
    I like how BlackBerry 10 is evolving, but when are they going to fix BlackBerry Link for Mac?

The fact that it doesn't reliably do what it's supposed to do ... most of the time ... is utterly appalling. The only consistency is the "Music not copied to Z10 message"
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by FRoStYisGoD View Post
    um it doesn't look nor perform like an android phone at all, the smoothness alone makes it a lot better then android as it is, since android is a buggy POS thats even now with "project butter" still isn't anywhere near as smooth as the iPhone. The multi-tasking like everyone has said looks completely different as well and doesn't look like a skin or anything at all. So not sure how u think it looks like a skin of android when it doesn't look like that at all, and no one seems to think that either nor should they.
    too many of these features you mention were blackberry features in the beginning, prior to droid/ijunk
    - b e s t e e -
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,374 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikebest View Post
    "android is a Linux based os and bb10 is QNX and they share nothing similar besides the code style they are written in"
    Great point, and to that I would add QNX was designed by RIM, unlike Linux based open market os that droid is using. So naturally BB will have a unique quality version os that sets it apart from droid/ijunk. Security is at the forefront and I'm excited to hear the keyboard on z10 will be beyond the others, that is what keeps me locked to bb! I've been hesitant with touch screen until recent leaks and info reveal keyboard details, im not a fan of my wifes samsung galaxy! Jan 30th will be bittersweet, i want the z10 right then!
    eh? i was under the impression that qnx had nothing to do with rim before being bought by rim?

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    824 Global Posts

Im looking forward to all of us getting our hands on these amazing devices....and the forums THEN being filled with awe and amazement...not sourness and conjecture! *Grins* BLACKBERRY NATION!! Bring me my keyboard!!
    ~ Still waters run deep ~
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    824 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubizmo View Post
    This, I think, is the point. Every time I read a complaint that BB10 is the same as Android or iOS I have to wonder just what people expect. There's a screen. From that screen, you need to access the things the phone can do. For this we have icons. We could, I suppose, have a list, written in words instead. I doubt this would be regarded as a breakthrough. The icons have to be arranged somehow. A grid is an efficient use of space.

We could go back to this sort of thing, from the SideKick:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lx2009screenshot.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	131620

There, the icons were arranged on a "dial", as you see. That worked well back in an era when there were relatively few apps available. And in any case, the SideKick was a keyboard phone, allowing the user to define keyboard launch shortcuts. I seriously doubt that the dial approach would work on BB10 or any other modern platform.

The industry has converged on a standard: icons on a grid. The user gets to arrange them. It's a standard because it works. It's what happens after you stop staring at the phone and start using it that distinguishes one platform from the rest. Here BB10 will have a very distinct personality. That doesn't mean it will do things in a way that is utterly different from anything else. It means that the overall feel of the device and the user experience will be different. Like a car, it needs to be familiar enough to be able to use quickly, without having to spend a lot of time studying manuals; but it also needs to offer the user some things that are special. I think BB10 will succeed in these two respects. It's not just like Android or iOS, but it's not so different that it takes a long time to figure it out.
    haha, holy cow!! I had an LRG version of the sidekick...talk about a major PAIN to get a theme on that thing!! LOL! AAAAHHHHHH...the good OL' days!!
    ~ Still waters run deep ~
    CrackBerry Newbie

i stand corrected..."On April 9, 2010, Research In Motion announced they would acquire QNX Software Systems from Harman International Industries.[6] On the same day, QNX source code access was restricted.[7] In September, 2010, the company announced a tablet computer, the BlackBerry PlayBook, and a new operating system BlackBerry Tablet OS based on QNX to run on the tablet." RIM took QNX to the next level, mainstream.

QUOTE=darkehawke;7862408]eh? i was under the impression that qnx had nothing to do with rim before being bought by rim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
    - b e s t e e -
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFlare11 View Post
    Peek is essentially using two applications at the same time without having to close either. From what I've read, the Lumia 920 doesn't have proper notifications whereas BB10 notifications are always one gesture away. While the app grid is the focus of iOS (as that's the home screen), that is not the focus of BB10; it's the Active Frame grid. That is what should be shown instead of the app grid on BB10. None of the OSs compared have that.
    Both Android and iOS (to a lesser extent) have notifications "one swipe away", so they are exactly the same in that aspect. As for Peek being two applications at once, the new Samsung software allows you to run multiple applications (2-3) at the same time, on the same screen, and be able to use them in unison..even BB10 (on phones) won't be able to do that.
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,144 Global Posts
    PIN
    2aed1ace

Quote Originally Posted by westiewanderer View Post
    haha, holy cow!! I had an LRG version of the sidekick...talk about a major PAIN to get a theme on that thing!! LOL! AAAAHHHHHH...the good OL' days!!
    Actually, my first SideKick looked like this:

BB10 - just a heavilly skinned version of Android?-sidekickii.jpg

Not bad for 2002. It was, in fact, revolutionary. But the industry converged on a different standard, and for good reason. Some early automobiles had tillers instead of steering wheels. I wonder why they didn't stick around.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund

Quote Originally Posted by _BlackCherry_ View Post
    I do not usually do this, but alright.

You want to know the difference between Android and BlackBerry 10. Android is, in simple terms, your average geeky operating system that kids and geeks love to play around with. De facto, it is another great toy that is convenient to the masses. And that is due to the fact that the software is shipped with cheap(er) hardware. As far as the average Joe/Jane is concerned, I do not believe they even know their smartphone is running Android. The phone is well marketed, the price appealling, and the overall package seems to be a great alternative to the overpriced iPhone. Now, does this mean it's any good? Some people go with the flow, follow the trends and consume without knowing anything about the product they're purchasing. Whilst others, who can think for themselves, make the right choices. Now i am not saying that BlackBerry is the right phone for all these people out there, but it all comes down to a matter of taste. You want to go with the flow, purchase an average product that is buggy, not secured but excellent for leisure, entertainment and such? Be my guest. But the people that seek quality - the same people that have been handling the same company's phones for over a decade -, stability, security, and a platform that makes you get things done rather than played around with... know which phone to buy. At last, i will not enumerate all the BB's advantages, but I will simply state this: Consumers have to adapt Android to their needs, whilst BB 10 adapts itself to its user's needs. For example: the keyboard, which is years ahead of any other keyboard (yes, the virtual one). Watch videos, and then think for yourself. And see how beautifully this keyboard adapts to the user. You can even write in two or three different languages, it will still adapt itself to what you're doing. You don't even have to think. The Active Frames work the same way. You do not have to set them as you would on Android.They adapt themselves to your current needs. And I believe that's where the future of QNX lays. Adapting itself to the user, rather than the opposite.
    This post is so wrong in so many ways it's hard to know where to even begin. Add the fact you have people praising you for your misinformation just goes to show how much the average poster here understands about anything other than BB.

First off, Android is no longer any less "buggy" than any other software out there. When the time comes and BB10 is released and is found to have some bugs, people will shrug and say "Well all software has bugs". The fact you think Android is only good for entertainment, shows me you have never actually used a device long enough to make an informed opinion. There are MANY former BB users on this forum who can attest that not only can they get things done just as good as a BB, but they can get them done better and faster.

You seem to think that the BB10 keyboard is the only one that can write in different languages and adapts to what you're doing. You do realize that BB10's keyboard is built and designed by Swiftkey, which has been Android's #1 selling keyboard for quite some time now, right? All these same features (minus the "swipe up on a word") are all in the current Android version. I can write whole sentences with only touching the space bar using the word prediction engine built in. It learns your language and habits just the same as the BB10 keyboard. Will the BB10 keyboard be better? Hard to say until I use it, but I expect it to be on par with what i've already used. In fact, Swiftkey now has a "Flow" version similiar to Swype that allows you to write whole sentences with one finger, never having to take your finger off the keyboard. And yes, it's fantastic.

You seem to think Active Frames "adapt themselves" to your needs? I hope your kidding, because this implies that the phone will know what you want to open next, and adapt and change the Frames depending on what it thinks you're going to use next. This is absurd. Active Frames are simply running apps you've already used. In no way, shape, or form do they "adapt" themselves to the user.

People on this board really need to make themselves aware of what the competition is doing and offering, other than just reading what a few posters have to say about them. Step outside the BB bubble and explore technology as a whole as any fan of tech does. You may surprise yourself with what you find out there.
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
    Thanked by:
    Admorris (01-17-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,374 Global Posts

further to the point above. active frames will only follow one process that is coded in by the developer. they can not adapt to a user.
    they will show you precisy what the developer allows you to see.
    also not all apps will have an active frame, as it appears to be developer choice whether they add it

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    702 Global Posts

Default Re: BB10 - just a heavilly skinned version of Android?

Quote Originally Posted by Rickroller View Post
    This post is so wrong in so many ways it's hard to know where to even begin. Add the fact you have people praising you for your misinformation just goes to show how much the average poster here understands about anything other than BB.

First off, Android is no longer any less "buggy" than any other software out there. When the time comes and BB10 is released and is found to have some bugs, people will shrug and say "Well all software has bugs". The fact you think Android is only good for entertainment, shows me you have never actually used a device long enough to make an informed opinion. There are MANY former BB users on this forum who can attest that not only can they get things done just as good as a BB, but they can get them done better and faster.

You seem to think that the BB10 keyboard is the only one that can write in different languages and adapts to what you're doing. You do realize that BB10's keyboard is built and designed by Swiftkey, which has been Android's #1 selling keyboard for quite some time now, right? All these same features (minus the "swipe up on a word") are all in the current Android version. I can write whole sentences with only touching the space bar using the word prediction engine built in. It learns your language and habits just the same as the BB10 keyboard. Will the BB10 keyboard be better? Hard to say until I use it, but I expect it to be on par with what i've already used. In fact, Swiftkey now has a "Flow" version similiar to Swype that allows you to write whole sentences with one finger, never having to take your finger off the keyboard. And yes, it's fantastic.

You seem to think Active Frames "adapt themselves" to your needs? I hope your kidding, because this implies that the phone will know what you want to open next, and adapt and change the Frames depending on what it thinks you're going to use next. This is absurd. Active Frames are simply running apps you've already used. In no way, shape, or form do they "adapt" themselves to the user.

People on this board really need to make themselves aware of what the competition is doing and offering, other than just reading what a few posters have to say about them. Step outside the BB bubble and explore technology as a whole as any fan of tech does. You may surprise yourself with what you find out there.
    Hands down the best post in this thread and everything you said is spot on. So tired of hearing the regurgitated line that "android is buggy" blah blah blah. CLEARLY the people saying this haven't used the latest iteration of Android utilizing "project butter". But hey, I guess it's easier to go along with the sheep than to actually do any research. And to your Swiftkey comments...I'm in total agreement. Funny enough I was just thinking about that this morning. The BB keyboard is nothing new at all...with Swiftkey you just tap the space bar to insert the next predicted word. Swiftkey (along with a bunch of other Android keyboards) can learn your writing habits from Facebook/twitter/gmail etc...nothing new at all unless you consider flicking faster than tapping. This forum is unfortunately turning very "iphone'esk"...hugely misinformed fanboys that claim their product is the first to implement a certain technology when said technology has been out for years. It may turn out that BB10 has something actually new up it's sleeve for the Jan 30th unveil, but as of right now I can do everything that has been leaked so far and much more on my Android based phone. This is not so much a knock on the phone, but simply a verifiable fact.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    Rickroller likes this.

Global Posts
    5,817 Global Posts
    PIN
    7901FC6B

further to the point above. active frames will only follow one process that is coded in by the developer. they can not adapt to a user.
    they will show you precisy what the developer allows you to see.
    also not all apps will have an active frame, as it appears to be developer choice whether they add it

Even further, Android already supports an "active frame-like" feature as part of their task management system. Holding the home button down gives you a scrollable list of "frames" that show your open apps, and where you left off in the app. You can swipe them off the screen to close them one by one, or tap the trash can icon to clear them all. Also, tapping on the frame takes you back into the app. This isn't part of the home screen like BB10 will be, though, and these don't update in real time, but the functionality is pretty similar.

I'm really ashamed at how fast some CBers are at crying troll and not helping people with the information they come here for.
    Everyone, everyone, stop fighting! Look unto me! I possess the blue flag! I wield the power infinite! The universal fabric is mine to unravel! My every thought becomes reality! Mountains will fall! Seas will boil! Day will be at night! People will...run...chicks'll dig me!
    Thanked by 3:
    Admorris (01-17-2013),  mark37724 (01-17-2013),  ubizmo (01-17-2013) 
    Rickroller likes this.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast