I have heard that for years, but for the hundreds of millions of Android phones sold, I'm not sure I've ever read an article referencing an actual real world example of someone's data being exposed or compromised.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    probably not I have nothing going really to hide what buggs me is the lag. On a smartphone we have little room for compromise hardware wise like we do on a PC so when spyware and malware come and I start getting alot of spam emails it gets annoying.
    01-17-13 08:13 PM
    probably not I have nothing going really to hide what buggs me is the lag. On a smartphone we have little room for compromise hardware wise like we do on a PC so when spyware and malware come and I start getting alot of spam emails it gets annoying.
    With jellybean and "project butter", lag is now a non issue with Android. That's the only thing that bugs me (not with you), is that people keep talking about lag and bugs, but the latest Android phones are worlds apart even from ICS...Android has made HUGE steps forward in the last year, both hardware and especially software. The One X is one of the best looking phones made in my opinion...I had that phone foe a while and it was a beast...I just couldn't pass up the Note 2

01-17-13 08:17 PM
    OK - so totally objective view from a former BB user (blast me if you must, just my 2 cents) - I had the 8700, Pearl, Curve, Storm1 before switching over to Android (Droid x, and now Galaxy Nexus). I loved my BB's and was checking Crackberry all the time for the latest and greatest. I am intrigued by the new BB10 os, but I don't see a lot of differences between BB10, and Android. They look to have similar gestures, and it seems that Android apps will run on BB10. So, it begs the ? - why the **** did RIM spin its wheels for years, and lose billions of dollars, and the complete market share it had so that it could develop what looks like a heavily skinned version of Android. I do like the way it looks, but it doesn't really look like they are doing anything new with this that we haven't seen before from the "others". I mean, if your gonna redesign, and rebrand your whole image, make it look like something that we havent seen already. Why didn't they just use Android, and offer their own applications that are propriety to their phones - BBM, and BB security, mail, etc. similar to what Nokia does with Lumia Windows Phones. For this reason, I actually have to give credit to Microsoft for doing something different with their WP8 OS - the live tiles, etc. At least its different. Unless RIM is holding some "killer" feature close to its vest, like some sort of amazing wireless desktop docking system, or something we have never seen before, I don't really see why people will give up their Android/Iphone's to switch back to BB.

I personally am on the fence - I have loved my Android phones, but they are buggy. I have an Ipad 2 (hate it, would never buy another apple product again), and just recently bought the MS Surface RT, and love the thing. It's features are light years ahead of any other tablet on the market, and it has me really intrigued - when my cell contract is up, I am really contemplating switching to either Windows phone, or back to BB (again, if there is that killer feature), or I might just stick with Android.

Either way - I do like what BB is doing - I just hope for RIM's sake, they do have something different and innovative, not just another smartphone with static app icons.
    The "killer feature" you are SO dying to find is called "BlackBerry 10". Yup, the very OS itself. Even comparing Android to QNX is an atrocity, let alone thinking BB10 is just a themed Android version... It simply leaves me speechless. Take your time to know BB10, and open your eyes.
    01-17-13 08:27 PM
    I think it behooves some of us to do what RIM's CEO does: use devices from other platforms, and REALLY acquaint ourselves with those platforms, before making sweeping generalizations.

It's like we now do the same thing we've accused others of doing: looking at RIM through the prism of old devices.
    cckgz4 and pantlesspenguin like this.
    01-17-13 08:33 PM
    My only point in posting anything in this thread is simply to defend the truth about Android. I HATE seeing misinformation post after post. I don't know if people just haven't really used Android and are regurgitating what they hear from their buddies, or know what they're saying is untrue and just don't care. Either way it's frustrating on a couple fronts...I can't stand sheep and I can't stand fibbing for the sake of defending your point of view.

This is exactly what is wrong with post #89, quoted in my previous post, it simply isn't true.
    01-17-13 08:33 PM
    With jellybean and "project butter", lag is now a non issue with Android. That's the only thing that bugs me (not with you), is that people keep talking about lag and bugs, but the latest Android phones are worlds apart even from ICS...Android has made HUGE steps forward in the last year, both hardware and especially software. The One X is one of the best looking phones made in my opinion...I had that phone foe a while and it was a beast...I just couldn't pass up the Note 2

Look, I get your point but you're doing some misinformation spreading here as well. I have a friend with an SGIII on jellybean. He loves it and it is a great device. But...it does lag some. Especially his keyboard. Butter didn't make it lag free. I'm glad yours is but not everyone is experiencing what you are.
    01-17-13 08:35 PM
    Agreed but I do think most refer to what is more common. I'm not trying to argue just making a point what more people see to date about androids. The same about what everyone thinks about blackberry based on past devices
    You said what I was saying, just better...
    01-17-13 08:35 PM
    Look, I get your point but you're doing some misinformation spreading here as well. I have a friend with an SGIII on jellybean. He loves it and it is a great device. But...it does lag some. Especially his keyboard. Butter didn't make it lag free. I'm glad yours is but not everyone is experiencing what you are.
    My wife has the SG3...I use hers quite a bit as well and I've never run across lag. I'm not out of touch with reality and realize that not every jellybean phone is perfect, but that is also true with iPhone and BB as well. My point is that people on here claiming bugs and lag on Android probably haven't picked up a jb device, much less used one for more than 30 secs.

01-17-13 08:42 PM
    My wife has the SG3...I use hers quite a bit as well and I've never run across lag. I'm not out of touch with reality and realize that not every jellybean phone is perfect, but that is also true with iPhone and BB as well. My point is that people on here claiming bugs and lag on Android probably haven't picked up a jb device, much less used one for more than 30 secs.

Maybe. I have no idea what they use. I was responding to your assertion that jellybean had eliminated lag in android devices.
    01-17-13 08:45 PM
    Maybe. I have no idea what they use. I was responding to your assertion that jellybean had eliminated lag in android devices.
    From every jb device I've used and seen used and tech articles I've read, I stand by what I said.

01-17-13 08:50 PM
    From every jb device I've used and seen used and tech articles I've read, I stand by what I said.

That's fine. I'm just pointing out an instance where that isn't true.
    01-17-13 08:54 PM
    Looks are just that.. Looks. With bb10 it is the underlying architecture that gives it the ability to "scale" and become an ultra modern and versatile platform. Check out QNX on Wikipedia.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
    01-18-13 01:55 AM
    and it seems that Android apps will run on BB10..
    Apple apps run on android and vice versa

and if anyone else made a similar observation to mine about BB10 looking an awful lot like Android.
    BB10 doesnt look like android at all the only thing to me that looks similar is maybe active frames but even then i dont think its the same thing. i dont think android has a peek feature or there version of hub (but i could be wrong about hub i havent really played with android to much) if apple changed there UI to something like droids would everyone say it looks like droid? even if apple put diff features and made it look diff than android, im pretty sure people would say android copied apple. windows 8 is diff but its kinda boring i played with a windows phone and after an hour i was ummm what do i do now besides surf the net. Windows 8 would be a lot better if it maybe had more apps? idk. and you forget one thing about android, with every update it seems like the holes in the os get bigger. look at jelly bean, it has a huge problem!! that can be exploited. i dont think ive ever heard anyone say "i got a virus on my blackberry" ive heard android users say it and when i heard it i was shocked. well imma end my rant now seems like im just starting to ramble on an on an on an on an on an on..................
    01-18-13 02:59 AM
    your display pic is of a troll face and you wonder why you got called a troll?
    So that means you're a cross? Are you also a 2.0 of the original Dirks? How many times must people learn the lesson of using their brains and not just judging people on what they see, and in this case, an avatar? Once again weeping for humanity.
    01-18-13 03:38 AM
    The truth is, yes. it's a little bit laggy, especially for email client. Those happens in my Note II (using it for almost 1 week right now, replacing my Galaxy Nexus). And truly, I miss to swipe BB10 screen. Especially for the latest update. It's so smooth and almost no lag at all. Especially for keyboard (smartest keyboard that I ever use) and email client.

well....need to return to my "tiny farm" right now. and try to figure out what's next to be leaked from BB10, hehehe.
    01-18-13 04:48 AM

i'm not talkign about Android lagging i'm talkign abotu with spyware and malware lagging not that the OS in general does
    01-18-13 05:06 AM
    i'm not talkign about Android lagging i'm talkign abotu with spyware and malware lagging not that the OS in general does
    ..... What? You know keeping spyware and malware off an Android device is easy if you have half a brain right? Don't sideload apps, don't download apps in the play store that don't have the top developer or editor's choice ratings, review app permissions, know what you open your device to if you decide to root, keep your wifi secured, use an antivirus like avg or lookout, etc. Basically the same things you should be doing on any platform.
    01-18-13 05:31 AM
    @OP

Sorry, but what the heck are you talking about? It doesn't sound like you've ever seen BB10 in a video.

Spend at least 20 minutes or so watching some videos and explain how Bezel gestures (which Android doesn't have) and the peek/flow system (which Android doesn't have) with the layered panes of apps (which Android doesn"t have) happen to be 'just like Android'. I could go on but that would be a waste of my time.

And how you can say Win Phone 8 is innovating while BB10 is not is beyond me (note: I'm not implying WP8 has no innovations)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-18-13 06:13 AM
    not sure if the people replying that bb10 looks nothing like android are serious or not.
    they do look similar. android has had a version of peek and flow for ages.
    the difference between the two seem to be behind the scenes.

01-18-13 06:38 AM
    darkehawke The main resemblance I see is the dark colour scheme. I've never seen anything on Jelly Bean that to me resmbles peek/flow. The closest thing is the pull-down notifications, but that is not at all like the peek/flow system.

Maybe you can elaborate? I'd be interested to see the pseudo peek/flow system you mentioned (my dad has a galaxy nexus i play with).

01-18-13 07:02 AM
    ..... What? You know keeping spyware and malware off an Android device is easy if you have half a brain right? Don't sideload apps, don't download apps in the play store that don't have the top developer or editor's choice ratings, review app permissions, know what you open your device to if you decide to root, keep your wifi secured, use an antivirus like avg or lookout, etc. Basically the same things you should be doing on any platform.
    i never said it was hard, i said in earlier posts thats my only concern about Android but hving to load things to keep these things at bay will also put some extra stress on the hardware as keeping an A/V program open will add to the usage of RAM and the CPU
    01-18-13 07:12 AM
    I don't think your a troll or anything but I do believe you may need some glasses. I can't drink enough to get my vision blurred enough to see what your seeing. I don't think a lot of people share your opinion. When looking at ios vs bb10 videos on YouTube, most of the iphone fans talk about how ugly it is. I doubt they would be calling their phones equally as ugly since it's just a clone. Just my opinion anyways.
    01-18-13 07:45 AM
    Yea - that BB Storm just soured my opinion of RIM, and if it wasn't for my unlimited data Verizon, and the fact that back in 09 Verizon didn't carry the iphone, id probably be on the Apple teet right now - Thank God!!

I plan to try it out, but as we all know, its not available to try yet.

Don't get your credibility statement - I don't care about forum-cred....Based on the german video hands on with the Z10 circling the web, the ui looks like a custom version of android - I stand by my statement - look at the top status bar, the swipe up, the static icons, the widgets, the pull down notification bar, swipe left or right to see your apps, which are the same static icons seen on android...the almost exact porting of android apps to BB appstore, etc.
    Pull down notification bar? You mean like the little bar you can click on a blackberry to bring down all notifications? It's on my 9780. Left or right to see apps is on the playbook and you swipe the trackpad left or right to go to different drawers on my 9780. Maybe android is a ios/bb clone. Just a thought.
    01-18-13 07:56 AM
    I disagree, but, I guess some could argue that along with a laundry list of other details as well. For some time now members have been asking for RIM to step up- with design, specs, etc. So, based on those request along with what's already on the market, slumping sales, outdated OS(well, you get my point) change was on the way. A few years later, here comes BB10 devices, AND, a new platform! Whether we feel that RIM could have done better, more, different/a better/more creative design, they are delivering something new and fresh as related to BlackBerries(in general) and should be comparable with other devices on the market. So, I have to give RIM credit for that and not giving in and going under- inspite of the circumstances based on mistakes of the past. Remember, this will be the 1st generation BB10s....hopefully, with more to follow. But, we have to get past the 1st hurdle (launch/sales/B&M by some) before they can go any further.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 01-18-13 at 08:14 AM.
    01-18-13 08:00 AM
    I completely agree with you except for me it looked like iOS and when I asked, people jumped down my throats. I asked what differentiated BB10 from the competition and got some "you are a troll" remarks at the very beginning but other people kindly took the time to answer my question. For me, BB10 does look like iOS but the main things that have going for it are multitasking, peeking and security. I'm not convinced that people are going to go for a BB when all they see, whether this is true or not, an iPhone clone. The average person just doesn't care about the things that BB is doing. For me, BB10 looks really cool and I want to get a Z10 even if it is going to look like iOS just because I've never had a BB before and I would love to use it and experience it. Anyway, my 2 cents. I just hope people don't continue to jump down your throat just because you're an outsider wanting to know the differences instead of just drinking the Blackberry cool-aid.
    Your statement shocks me. Especially the clone part. I'm assuming your an ios user. An ios user calling anything a clone of anything else is like a turd telling a dirty sock that it smells bad. I mean c'mon?
    01-18-13 08:07 AM
187 ... 5678