BB10 is so good that the kid is in denial.He wants to believe that the OS is android and is another oem skin powered by google.Jealousy and evny such damaging traits stick around we'll group hug you and take you through the stages its ok were here for you let it out.
    01-16-13 06:24 PM
    That's like saying the Volt and the Prius are the same except for the outer skins. Although it might look similar and do some of the same things, doesn't mean it is the same all the way through. Similar goals but different technology. Not to mention, you're contradicting your own argument. You ask why anyone would switch from Android and then go on to explain that it is buggy. Isn't that enough of a reason to switch right there?

The idea that RIM could just take Android, add their apps and remain secure ignores the entire security problem with Android. It's in the OS. It's hard to build something solid if your foundation is weak.
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    01-16-13 06:37 PM
    BB10 - just a heavilly skinned version of Android?-notevs920vsiphone5vs-bbl-e1354108652959-470x260.jpg

Doesn't look all that different to me. Honestly, people need to understand what this guy is trying to get across. Just because he is asking some good questions doesn't mean he is a troll
    01-16-13 06:40 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOTEvs920vsiPHONE5vs-BBL-e1354108652959-470x260.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	131579

Doesn't look all that different to me. Honestly, people need to understand what this guy is trying to get across. Just because he is asking some good questions doesn't mean he is a troll
    They all have the same layout... WP8 is different off the start, but they still have the same app layout beyond that screen. Apps are going to have to have icons and there's going to have to be a way of laying them out cohesively. The OP is talking of BB10 being like Android yet Apple had the first full touch layout like that and before that, BlackBerry had, and still does, the same icon layout. Your picture does not lend anything to this discusion unless you're trying to point out that BlackBerry did it before the other and, therefore, they all look like skins of a BlackBerry OS.
    01-16-13 06:49 PM
    lots of forums do this, no new threads until 10 posts, and those 10 posts have to be approved by Mods first
    That works for small forums but CrackBerry can get 1000 new members signing up in a day. That would need a lot of moderator input if they all make 10 posts. We used to have 10 post rules for posting links or PM, but we found users made 10 junk posts so they could post what they wanted, so the limitation was pointless.
    01-16-13 07:04 PM
    I swear to God, this forum is turning me off every time I visit. Newbie members ask questions like how is this different from Android and iOS and people f'ing jump down their throats or start insulting them. The above image is what new people will see when they look at both phones. Which looks prettier? Be honest. Android is ugly as sin, always has been. Next comes BB10 and then comes iOS as the most sleek. That is what new people will see. Next they'll look at apps. What then? I have a lumia 920 that has ****ty app support but the OS is sufficiently different enough and sleek that I can over look the app situation. People are scoffing that BB10 is nothing like iOS? Seriously? People are asking about what is different and all you all are saying is keyboard, peeking and other stuff. How is this going to appeal to people? God, this forum is reminding me of Apple users.
    mark37724 and tack like this.
    01-16-13 07:09 PM

Absolutely agree, seams OP was being quite genuine to me; he appears curious but sceptical and that is fair. He stated his preliminary observations and as he does not frequent CB, he probably is not as familiar with BB10 as most are here.

Those people that scream troll at the slightest criticism need to grow a thicker skin, I swear it feels like a schoolyard with little kids throwing names around...grow up. To the few that were courteous enough to address him and educate him to what BB10 will be, thanks, you may have intrigued him enough to have him give serious thought in coming back.
    jdhooghe, Barljo and tack like this.
    01-16-13 07:10 PM
    I am intrigued by the new BB10 os, but I don't see a lot of differences between BB10, and Android. They look to have similar gestures, and it seems that Android apps will run on BB10. So, it begs the ? - why the **** did RIM spin its wheels for years, and lose billions of dollars, and the complete market share it had so that it could develop what looks like a heavily skinned version of Android.
    The visual appearance of the UI doesn't necessarily reflect the underlying quality and capability, nor does it reflect the features which have not been part of the press demonstrations.

There are a limited number of ways to design a good UI - look at your car, and consider whether it is rather similar to most other cars. Gas to the right, brake left (or center on a manual transmission). Familiar looking rotary device to control direction, a few lever switches near it to control things like turn signals. Transmission control either in the center or as one of the steering column controls. Radio and heating in the center, and they probably have familiar pushbutton or rotary controls. Very similar logos to identify the switches for lights, wipers... The similarity actually helps people adapt to new equipment, and in the case of your car it makes it a lot safer. Think what would happen if you switched to a car with the foot controls replaced by hand controls, and how long it would take you to feel fully confident.
    01-16-13 07:22 PM
    I swear to God, this forum is turning me off every time I visit. Newbie members ask questions like how is this different from Android and iOS and people f'ing jump down their throats or start insulting them. The above image is what new people will see when they look at both phones. Which looks prettier? Be honest. Android is ugly as sin, always has been. Next comes BB10 and then comes iOS as the most sleek. That is what new people will see. Next they'll look at apps. What then? I have a lumia 920 that has ****ty app support but the OS is sufficiently different enough and sleek that I can over look the app situation. People are scoffing that BB10 is nothing like iOS? Seriously? People are asking about what is different and all you all are saying is keyboard, peeking and other stuff. How is this going to appeal to people? God, this forum is reminding me of Apple users.
    Aren't the things you listed significant differences? iOS gives you no choice in what keyboard you can use. And AutoCorrect has many critics (and is the subject of many jokes). From what I've seen, a lot of iPhone users really like the BB10 keyboard and wished they could have even some form of SwiftKey on their devices. As for Peek, there is nothing remotely similar on any other existing platform. Peek is essentially using two applications at the same time without having to close either. From what I've read, the Lumia 920 doesn't have proper notifications whereas BB10 notifications are always one gesture away. While the app grid is the focus of iOS (as that's the home screen), that is not the focus of BB10; it's the Active Frame grid. That is what should be shown instead of the app grid on BB10. None of the OSs compared have that.

Maybe it kind of looks like iOS and Android (the app grid only), but the implementation and the way you use the OS is different. The theory and goals behind the OS is different and operates in a very different way. That is why BB10 is different. There is no reason to base everything on its appearance. I would hope that no one simply looks at a device and decides to purchase it without actually trying it out.
    Last edited by FlashFlare11; 01-17-13 at 12:03 AM.
    01-16-13 07:28 PM
    nope BB10 is not a skinned version of android or ios. the only "similar" design is the apple in-your-face app drawer that is designed much more elegantly than in ios. The oses have nothing in common since BB10 is based on qnx and has a better user experience compared to both top end iphone 5's, galaxy nexus, galaxy s 3, or even the nexus 4. I know this because I have personally used all of these phones and just found them to be not as well designed as the BB10 Alpha B that I just returned for LE model hopefully coming soon. Androids are fast but bb10 is just as fast if not better. The design of the leaked L Series pictures look amazing compared to my current s2 skyrocket that i have as my daily driver. Compared the pictures to the N4 and its a difference of night and day. Can't wait for BB10 I am constantly asking att over online chat for status that i am pretty sure my ip has been logged on their premier customers lists ?
    01-16-13 07:52 PM

calling it a heavily skinned Android is questionable and is an insult to RIM's effort in evolving such a master piece atleast from the functional perspective, there are and will be some obvious things in common such as grid of icons to launch an app, rectangular screens, touch screen and many more such basic things in common but that doesn't make BB10 an Android and vice versa.You need to look at some BB10's finer details like Hub, multitasking, gestures, flow and peek UX, single handed use, key board, BBM, security, Blackberry safeguard services like BBProtect backed right into the OS, secured NFC modules, Balance and a lot more that will be unique to BB because of it's underlying OS architecture and secured NOC, that itself differentiates BB10 from the rest of the pack
    Last edited by sf49ers; 01-17-13 at 06:43 PM.
    01-16-13 07:54 PM
    blast me if you must.
    Interesting objective, yet I'll pass.

First the apple posters now the droid posters, both trying to grab onto Blackberry10 coattails prior to Jan 30 2013, jeesh.lol
    01-16-13 08:04 PM
    To be completely honest, I don't see the similarities with Android. If you mean that the Active Frames look like widgets, that's a bit of a stretch. Widgets are just that; minimized applets. Active Frames are entirely new concept; leaving an application open and being able to be kept up to date on its processes even while it's not being used. In addition to that, the entire look and feel of BB10 is different than Android.

Anyway, Android is not a secure platform. It's incredibly vulnerable and while it does a bit of everything, it doesn't solve the problems of hardcore BlackBerry users like the BB solution does. Messaging and communication is the primary focus of BB10 and I like the direction that RIM has gone with its OS. I, personally, don't like the look and feel of Android. It feels like a continuing beta project (even the current versions) and it's not a viable solution. Here's what I've written about Android in a previous post explaining why it's not a good route for RIM:

"No, I don't think RIM will ever use Android. I think RIM will live or die by BB10, and as of right now, I don't see an end to RIM. I'm fairly confident that BB10 will catch-on in the long run.

Anyway, by 2015, I think there will be significantly less Android manufacturers than there are today. Since Google acquired Motorola, every Android manufacturer has been looking for a Plan B. Now with Samsung, Android's only successful hardware manufacturer, moving away from Android and going with Tizen (as well as other Windows Phone-based devices), and other open-source OSs like Ubuntu and Sailfish, every hardware manufacturer will be looking to get their own unique footprint in the smartphone game.

Android simply doesn't provide a company long-term sustainability. I'd worry more about Android and its manufacturers than RIM and BB10."

To conclude, BlackBerry 10 is different from what's on the market. It allows for multitasking like never before and puts an emphasis on messaging and communication. Remember that we haven't seen all of BB10 yet so to say that there aren't any "killer features" before 30 January is premature.

Give it a chance to be shown off in its final form.
    I'll just make it short - You're the Hero of the Day man!
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    01-16-13 08:24 PM
    Don't get your credibility statement - I don't care about forum-cred....Based on the german video hands on with the Z10 circling the web, the ui looks like a custom version of android - I stand by my statement - look at the top status bar, the swipe up, the static icons, the widgets, the pull down notification bar, swipe left or right to see your apps, which are the same static icons seen on android...the almost exact porting of android apps to BB appstore, etc.
    um it doesn't look nor perform like an android phone at all, the smoothness alone makes it a lot better then android as it is, since android is a buggy POS thats even now with "project butter" still isn't anywhere near as smooth as the iPhone. The multi-tasking like everyone has said looks completely different as well and doesn't look like a skin or anything at all. So not sure how u think it looks like a skin of android when it doesn't look like that at all, and no one seems to think that either nor should they.
    01-16-13 08:35 PM
    IMHO I don't think the OP is trolling at all, I think he/she is coming up with questions that someone with limited exposure to the BB10 OS would have. I think better marketing by RIM stating what these difference are would help.
    jdhooghe and pantlesspenguin like this.
    01-16-13 08:58 PM
    A big thank you to the reasonable people; you make this forum bearable. As well as act like adults.
    pantlesspenguin and convenor like this.
    01-16-13 11:28 PM
    IMHO I don't think the OP is trolling at all, I think he/she is coming up with questions that someone with limited exposure to the BB10 OS would have. I think better marketing by RIM stating what these difference are would help.
    Like I said, let's wait for January 30th. No one can say for sure what exactly will be the differences until we see final hardware/software and ultimately when we have the devices in our hands.
    01-16-13 11:52 PM
    when I was in elementary school I use to read stories about the early cars where all of them had four wheels....
    01-16-13 11:55 PM
    The analyst say it takes the best elements from all other paltforms and puts them together in a way that just works.
    Android users like it but feel its a skinned version of Android
    IOS user is going to buy but feels it takes to many of the IOS qualities
    Nobody really likes wp8 but feel BB10 has all the unique features it offeres!
    People, we have a winner here!!
    01-17-13 01:00 AM
    The analyst say it takes the best elements from all other paltforms and puts them together in a way that just works.
    Android users like it but feel its a skinned version of Android
    IOS user is going to buy but feels it takes to many of the IOS qualities
    Nobody really likes wp8 but fell BB10 has all the unique features it offeres!
    People, we have a winner here!!
    We believe analysts now?
    01-17-13 01:01 AM
    A big thank you to the reasonable people; you make this forum bearable. As well as act like adults.
    True Crackheads CBers are fair people! you got pleanty of good reasonable responces in your thread! even though your tone was a tad cheeky. Then you never came back to respond?
    He who throws stones.............
    mikebest likes this.
    01-17-13 01:06 AM
    We believe analysts now?
    Just assembling the facts for eveyone! You can believe who you like!
    I Believe! BB10 Baby Believe it. All of it!!!
    01-17-13 01:08 AM
    Thread like these seem to be a magnet for abuse. I think your opinion is valid, from first glance Android and BB10 have some similar features, but don't be fooled there's much more to BB10 than just a plain old icon grid and Active frames/widgets, every CBer here we'll reassure you of that. And I'm sure since you thought this hundreds of other well/have thought of this too, this doesn't make it a negative aspect at all, in many ways familiarity is good.
    01-17-13 01:26 AM
    Imo - going to be exactly like a great android skin, with a best in class browser, keyboard, security and ui, except it's going to run smoother and faster and is qnx
    Dapper37 likes this.
    01-17-13 02:00 AM
    I like your avatar, keep up the good work.
    mikebest likes this.
    01-17-13 02:06 AM
187 1234 ...