Will we still be able to use our blackberry 10 phones long after the last OS update securely? Would like to stay using blackberry 10 as long as possible and will maybe buy another device if they start to drop the prices a little. The leap does exactly what I need.

Posted via my BlackBerry Leap
    05-14-16 02:54 AM
    Too many unknowns for a straight answer.
    05-14-16 03:14 AM
    It depends on what you use it for!

I say that, as some "big player" app related features are starting to be withdrawn.

(Whatsapp and Facebook, to name a few)

Posted via CB10 on my ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.2.2876
    05-14-16 05:20 AM
    Only use Facebook mobile site anyway and don't use WhatsApp only BBM. Use 4 or 5 android apps and the rest are BB10 apps or mobile site links. More concerned about BB10 phones remaining secure after next year.

05-14-16 06:15 AM
    Depends if Chen really cares about the customers that supported him by buying BB10 phones when they needed sales .
    05-14-16 06:33 AM
    Yeah and lots of people on Android do not use the Facebook app either. They use the web app to save battery and processor use. Horrible app actually. The only reason whatsapp is getting pulled is cause Facebook owns it otherwise it's not a rampant problem yet.

Enjoy your BB10 device until you don't.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 05-25-16 at 12:54 PM.
    anon(9742832) likes this.
    05-14-16 08:57 AM
    Only use Facebook mobile site anyway and don't use WhatsApp only BBM. Use 4 or 5 android apps and the rest are BB10 apps or mobile site links. More concerned about BB10 phones remaining secure after next year.

Judging by your meager app requirements, you should be ok for the next year or two. The concern for you is probably about the browser and no one knows if that will get security updates.
    05-14-16 09:04 AM
    Depends if Chen really cares about the customers that supported him by buying BB10 phones when they needed sales .
    You should already know the answer to that question.
    wilber1 and anon(9742832) like this.
    05-14-16 11:38 AM
    Will we still be able to use our blackberry 10 phones long after the last OS update securely? Would like to stay using blackberry 10 as long as possible and will maybe buy another device if they start to drop the prices a little. The leap does exactly what I need.

You will be OK unless/until an exploit is discovered. Nobody really knows when/if that will happen.
    05-14-16 11:40 AM
    I guess you will be able to use BB device even after the updates are stopped. I am still using HP veer it works fine even though WebOS has been dead for years. Problem is lack of apps.

Posted via CB10
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    05-14-16 02:12 PM
    My biggest concern is the web browser getting outdated. As long as there's at least a decent 3rd party browser kept up to date, your BB10 phone will be fine. That's what was the final nail in the playbook's coffin... Web pages not even working properly. When you can't even surf the internet, you know it's time to pack up.

I don't see why email, talking, text, would suddenly stop working. Carriers would have to actively block BB10 devices from their networks, and that would create a major stink. That being said, my carrier (Cricket) won't let People activate their line with a Blackberry phone anymore, but you can use one after activation. So I may yet live to eat those words.
    05-14-16 03:26 PM
    Bb10 browser will end up like the playbook browser

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-15-16 02:37 AM

I understand...

This is truly unknown territory as said before.

Too many unknowns for a straight answer.
    One can only hope that BlackBerry continue to offer security updates.

Posted via CB10 on my ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.2.2876
    05-15-16 03:14 AM

Don't worry about things you cannot control..............use it until it stops....then have a wake and put the phone on the electronic heap of life....WOOF!........I will place mine right next to my RCA Selectavision...........Laser Disc machine................and lets not forget...Beta Max....
    05-15-16 03:42 PM
    I can't see myself giving up on my Passport for a while yet. It'll do what I need (basic web browsing, PDFs, calls, SMS, ...) for some time to come. I avoid doing super-secure stuff on my phone anyway.
    05-15-16 03:43 PM