Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    PIN
    27f477c1
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BB10 feature idea: integration of link "share as"

The way it has been in previous BB OS, is that if an app wants to be able to share content with other social media / email / SMS / etc, it has to do it all for itself. What I am suggesting is an OS-wide baked-in sharing mechanism.

Instead of each app being responsible for coding the sharing mechanism for itself, have it work like this:

(1) Allow an app to 'add itself' to a list of services that can be shared to. This opens things wide open to any service. Twitter, Facebook, WhatsApp, BBM, etc. It would make sense to have share to SMS and email built-in to the system, by default. But each app (even standard RIM apps such as Twitter, Facebook, BBM) should use this 'add itself' mechanism to add itself to the list.

(2) When an app wants to share a link, it calls this system API, which returns a list of all the methods that can be used to share. At this point, the app hands over the link to the OS, which then takes care of the sharing via a standard mechanism that all the apps follow as a part of (1).

In this way, if TalkBox (for example) wants to add itself to the list, it can. And then the eBay app (for example) could share a URL to a TalkBox contact. In this way the eBay app doesn't even need to know about the existence of the TalkBox app. eBay app just needs to know about the standard mechanism that the OS uses to pass shared URLs back and forth.

Default Re: BB10 feature idea: integration of link "share as"

pretty sure we already seen this within the previews of the OS. It does need to have this. Its been a complaint of mine about one place where the old BBOS lacks.
    ~Matt
    OnePlus One, Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

Yes BB10 already has this, it is their share framework
    Quote Originally Posted by G-bone View Post
    BlackBerry : We invented the Smartphone Business.
    We're takin' it Back!

Yes, it's there for developers already, it's called call Invocation. Already used it in a few apps I've developed.

BlackBerry 10's Invocation Framework: ingenuity at work | CrackBerry.com
    Wallpaper Changer HD for BB10 A MUST HAVE APP - Automatically rotates your wallpaper - Now with battery % meter, weather and more!

Evolution Web Browser with Ad Block - The ultra fast web browser with gestures and full screen browsing
    Ultimate ScreenSaver - Includes weather, rss news, clock and more! Many scenes including Aquarium and Fireplace or use your own pictures

Visit: http://www.shao-soft.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Shao128 View Post
    Yes, it's there for developers already, it's called call Invocation. Already used it in a few apps I've developed.

BlackBerry 10's Invocation Framework: ingenuity at work | CrackBerry.com
    @Shao128... Or anyone - I've heard this is used on other OS's. Just wondering to what extent that is, and if/how BB10 will be better at it?
    thanks
    Last edited by gjohnsto; 11-09-2012 at 05:10 PM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    PIN
    27f477c1
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

I had read about Invocation Framework, but I hadn't thought about it in this context. Is a share link framework in place though, as part of this Invocation Framework? It will work best if the OS already has the hooks built-in, which makes it super easy for app developers to connect to that feature.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

We're still a little (or a lot) fuzzy on how some of the Invocation Framework stuff will work, mainly in terms of specifically what all the various system actions and targets will be, so it's hard to give any detailed answer at this point. There's another beta and SDK coming down the pipe very soon though, so once we see that I suspect your questions will be answered.

From what I can tell, the "share link framework" you're asking about will largely be in place, though of course any specific service may or may not be supported at launch. I expect you'll be pretty happy with this. Note that it won't magically allow all apps to "just share their data" with any target... that wouldn't be feasible yet. It will make it effectively trivial for a developer to add such support to any given app, however, with sometimes little more than a few lines of code (lets say 10-20) to do the basic job. From what I can tell... before we've got all the details.
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.